(03-17-2004) Jacknife Lee To Work On U2 Album - XFM*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Another cook in the kitchen for New U2 Album

Xfm can exclusively reveal that while Xfm Remix favourite Jacknife Lee has dropped out of tomorrow?s Remix club night, it?s on the express request of Bono, as there?s a U2 new album to work on and certain rules to adhere to.

Jacknife Lee was originally going to be playing at Xfm?s legendary Remix Night at Cargo in East London on Thursday (March 18) alongside some four turntable mayhem from Krafty Kuts, Skillz and of course ? The Remix Show?s very own Mr Eddy Temple-Morris himself.

However Xfm Online can exclusively report that Jacknife Lee won?t be playing due to his commitments on the new highly anticipated U2 album. Lee is assisting legendary Rolling Stones, Talking Heads and Morrissey producer Steve Lillywhite on the album in Dublin, and according to Lee, the new record is ?Going really well.?

However tomorrow is a national strike in Ireland and U2?s singer Bono has asked Lee (famous for his Eminem, Run DMC and Missy Elliot bootlegs) to respect the event and stay in Ireland and not work, hence he?ll be unable to appear at the Remix Night.

But, fear not, his place on the line up is being taken by another equally wondrous king of electronica Si Begg.

The Remix Night is at Cargo 83 Rivington Street, London EC2 (nearest Tube Old Street). 7.00pm ? 1am, entrance: ?7 before 9pm, ?9 thereafter. To book tickets call the Xfm Xchange on 0870 121 1049.

http://www.xfm.co.uk/Article.asp?id=21136

But maybe he will just remix a few songs...is Lee a dance or hip hop DJ? :confused: Maybe we're in for more hip hop influenced album?

*edit* on second thought, if they're dealing with mixes maybe we are close to the finish with the album.

*edit* hmmm...we're not headed at a POP part II album are we? What happened to the rocking/guitar filled album we heard so much about?

Last edited:
Actually, i'm kind of encouraged...brings some modern/contemporary flourish to the whole proceedings. I trust U2 to be open and push the boundaries, while retaining their identity. Just 'cuz you have a DJ on board to tweak stuff, doesn't mean the music can't rock. As long as the whole thing's not full of block-rockin' beats...

U2girl said:
But maybe he will just remix a few songs...is Lee a dance or hip hop DJ? :confused: Maybe we're in for more hip hop influenced album?

*edit* on second thought, if they're dealing with mixes maybe we are close to the finish with the album.

*edit* hmmm...we're not headed at a POP part II album are we? What happened to the rocking/guitar filled album we heard so much about?

No, I highly doubt this is POP II, or a hip hop influenced album. It will be guitar driven rock 'n roll. Some bands like to bring in an eclectic mix of people to throw their two cents in on an album. Don't read so much into this. The band again will be at the forefront. Any work this DJ does will just be filler and color behind the music to give moisture to the structure, so to speak. JMO

I'll tell you what it means. U2 has a hard time separating who they are, from what they like. They LIKE the music that has become the soundtrack of their social scene?the sound of saturday night in Temple Bar. But I'm here to tell them what they ARE: they're a rock 'n roll band. Guitar, bass, drums and vocal. Their sound is a textured sound, but it's simple and it always serves the song.

But like every artist they keep reaching for this grand idea that they have in their heads?an epic sound that they feel has always escaped them. They bring in studio wizards to help them acheive this, and while it ocassionally works, more often than not it just convolutes the song.

What I wish they understood is that their passion and heart have always been the element that takes the song through the clouds for most listeners. They don't need some guy with a turntable and a funny name to help them with that.

This is great. This is the kind of stuff Bono likes so Bono must be very excited about this new album. He likes to have other peoples opinions to hear things he doesn't and plus I think that this shows that U2's biggest fear is to not be relevent.

I don't think its U2 writing POP II it is a question of "are we still relevent?" That is why they are having so many different ears and influences of this album.

Buckle your seat belts U2 fans... this is going to be one hell of a ride:)

At the very least, this could lead us to some incredible B-side material (remixes). And to be honest, I just love this "what the hell are they up to" feeling I get from all of this. My advice? Love the mystery while you can.

This will definetly not be another POP (Even though that wouldnt be so bad, I loved the 97 release). At first when I heard Lanois was coming in the give his two cents, I was a little worried about all this "great" work with Chris Thomas. But now that Steve Lillywhite is on board and their getting the help of this DJ, I have to agree with gherman, I think we're in for one hell of a ride.

All the new producers bringing all these different flavors reminds me of an EDGE quote a few months back, when he said "when we're finished it could be a country album." It was just a joke, it wont be country. And it won't be irrelevant. It will be different, but it will be U2. So you know it's going to be a great album...one thing I do hope they stick with is the "guitar-oriented" sound with Edge at the forefront.

LPU2 said:
I'll tell you what it means. U2 has a hard time separating who they are, from what they like. They LIKE the music that has become the soundtrack of their social scene?the sound of saturday night in Temple Bar. But I'm here to tell them what they ARE: they're a rock 'n roll band. Guitar, bass, drums and vocal. Their sound is a textured sound, but it's simple and it always serves the song.

But like every artist they keep reaching for this grand idea that they have in their heads?an epic sound that they feel has always escaped them. They bring in studio wizards to help them acheive this, and while it ocassionally works, more often than not it just convolutes the song.

What I wish they understood is that their passion and heart have always been the element that takes the song through the clouds for most listeners. They don't need some guy with a turntable and a funny name to help them with that.

This guy knows what he's talking about. I agree. U2 is a rock band, their best songs are the rock ones (Bullet the Blue Sky, The Fly, Last Night On Earth, The Electric Co., Until The End Of The World, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Gone, I Will Follow....) and that's what they should be doing. This was supposed to be a really direct, organic album and I'm afraid a DJ might put a lot of bullshit in the album like what happened with Electric Storm, the guy turned an okay rock song (that was already kinda of poppy) into a bad pop song. Or like what they did with Elevation. The studio version of Elevation, the one we find on the album, is crap compared to the live version and the Tom Raider version (which is how they play it live). I like the fact that U2 is open minded enough to make different versions of a song but I was hoping that this new songs didn't have much stuff on them for the exception of those primary colors that The Edge talked about. I really hope it has a wall of sound, but a wall of guitars, like 3 electric guitars all around playing with the bass and the drums! That would kick ass. I say, listen to what the DJ has to say but don't let him mess around with it too much cause after all in the end we want a U2 album. There seems to be to many people on this album. I wonder how would the record sound if it was only the four of them and just another guy helping them around. Well, I said what I wanted to say.

Last edited:
I hear Ronald McDonald is coming in to do some catering.

.....Bill Clinton is coming in to help with some lyrics.....

and Wyle E. Coyote is designing the stage setup for the next tour. (sponsored by Acme).

Is it just me or is there something about all this that has the feel of "this is our last big effort at making the perfect record". I mean, U2 is stretching this album out painfully long, keeps bringing on all these new people to help out, and is being very quiet and secretive about the whole thing.

I have a feeling this album will have HUGE hype before it is released with all the time that they are taking. And then what? Well, this really could be it: if it doesn't live up to all the hype it could be their last. If it DOES live up to all the hype, well, then they've only further solidified their place as one of the greatest bands of all time and what a way to go out. (Not that I want them to...)

Of course all of this is speculation, but I agree with one earlier comment that the mystery behind this whole thing is at once very frustrating and very exciting. I suppose a year from now we'll all remember back to the time when U2 was keeping things so quiet before they released xxx album.

Here's to hoping it turns out to their "fourth masterpiece".

Relax.... DJ in the studio means only one thing... a remixes for the first single... and that would be sometime in the summer... right? :sad: :crack: :crazy:

bathiu said:
Relax.... DJ in the studio means only one thing... a remixes for the first single... and that would be sometime in the summer... right? :sad: :crack: :crazy:

oh that sounds like...it could be...then again who knows :scratch:

Excellent news he is a great producer and is not just dance inspired.
Listen to "Snow Patrol" great Guitar band

Zoocoustic said:
Is it just me or is there something about all this that has the feel of "this is our last big effort at making the perfect record". I mean, U2 is stretching this album out painfully long, keeps bringing on all these new people to help out, and is being very quiet and secretive about the whole thing.

I have a feeling this album will have HUGE hype before it is released with all the time that they are taking. And then what? Well, this really could be it: if it doesn't live up to all the hype it could be their last. If it DOES live up to all the hype, well, then they've only further solidified their place as one of the greatest bands of all time and what a way to go out. (Not that I want them to...)

No, I don't think so. Not at all. Actually for me it feels like U2 is beginning again with every record since ATYCLB. They seem very excited and happy with where they are now and probably will go on just like The Rolling Stones. I really believe in that. The thing is that people don't look to the new records of bands that are together for so long so well. They just don't care unless you give them something really big and good. I think U2 knows that they have to top themselves with every record for now on or else people just won't care. I don't think there's nothing frustrating happening on the studio, I think it's probably one of the best moments of their career right now in terms of creativity so they're probably making sure that this album is absolutely perfect and taking their time to see what happens. The reason I think why they are taking so long is not because the album didn't turned out very well but because it turned out to be great and as I said they're making sure it's perfect. I think that's great but I just wish they didn't bring in so many people in the studio as I said in my previous post. This is definitely going to be their fourth masterpiece I think. And I have a feeling that it's going to be my favorite U2 album if it is as rock n' roll as they are saying it is. Can?t wait anymore.

Last edited:
What if this DJ is here to do remixs for the song that is to be on the Spider-man 2 soundtrack?

TheBrazilianFly said:
U2 is a rock band, their best songs are the rock ones (Bullet the Blue Sky, The Fly, Last Night On Earth, The Electric Co., Until The End Of The World, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Gone, I Will Follow....) and that's what they should be doing.

I have to say that there's nothing wrong with their more dancier tunes, too! Mofo, Mysterious Ways, HMTMKMKM, Lemon and DYFL all kick ass! :hyper: BTW, LNOE and Gone were produced by Flood, Howie B, Steve Osborne - no strangers to the dance scene (with Howie B and Steve Osborne being DJ's themselves).

Or like what they did with Elevation. The studio version of Elevation, the one we find on the album, is crap compared to the live version and the Tom Raider version (which is how they play it live).

Hmm, Elevation... :hmm: Remixed by Paul Leary (OK, not a DJ, but he did remix the song). And he's apparently someone who loves computers too. :p Here's a quote from him:
That's what's cool about working with computers. They don't argue, they remember everything and they don't drink all your beer.

Here I go with my psycho-analysis again, but in my opinion, U2 is probably fearful that their induction into the Hall of Fame next spring will in some way symbolize the end of their career. Think about it. It's likely that they'll be inducted with hasbeens like Chicago, Black Sabbath, Skynyrd, etc.

They probably want to do everything possible to be on top at that time, so they're not associated with the dinosaurs. The album will be released late in '04; the tour will begin in February of '05; and then smack-dab in the middle of all the album, tour, talkshow and media hype, they'll be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Popmartijn said:

I have to say that there's nothing wrong with their more dancier tunes, too! Mofo, Mysterious Ways, HMTMKMKM, Lemon and DYFL all kick ass! :hyper: BTW, LNOE and Gone were produced by Flood, Howie B, Steve Osborne - no strangers to the dance scene (with Howie B and Steve Osborne being DJ's themselves).

I'm not saying their dance oriented songs are bad friend. I actually like them quite a bit too. What I'm saying is that I think their more direct rock n' roll songs are better if you like it the other way around that?s your problem. And I'm not saying that DJ's can't make rock music, but you usually don't ask for one to come to the studio to help you out with that great riff you got going on.... plus those guys on POP were producing U2's album so they would have their hand in every song they would do, rock or dance oriented. And I don't see HMTMKMKM as dancier just because it has a drum machine in that middle part or the effects during the riff.

Popmartijn said:
Hmm, Elevation... :hmm: Remixed by Paul Leary (OK, not a DJ, but he did remix the song). And he's apparently someone who loves computers too. :p Here's a quote from him:

I don't understand this one. :hmm:

I've liked every u2 album, of course I have my favorites (achtung), but I felt every one was amazing in its own way. I like some of the points Brazilian Fly has made here, "Electrical Storm" was a little poppy but I did like it, but then William Orbit came in a completely ruined it and made it an average and somewhat boring song.

I agree and love the rockers too, but I love their other tracks as well. But for this album, I want to see a rock album dominated by Edge's guitar, thats what be amazing. I think bringing this DJ in could be great, but don't pull an "electrical storm" and f-it up. Btw, Bono said in that recent Oprah interview that the new album would be pop-oriented (its a great interview, no all those repetitive Africa quotes, a lot of good stuff. Bono is such a great speaker).

Back
Top Bottom