(03-17-2004) Jacknife Lee To Work On U2 Album - XFM*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HelloAngel said:
Another cook in the kitchen for New U2 Album

Lee is assisting legendary Rolling Stones, Talking Heads and Morrissey producer Steve Lillywhite on the album in Dublin, and according to Lee, the new record is ?Going really well.?

http://www.xfm.co.uk/Article.asp?id=21136

:confused: I understood this meant Lee is co-producing; why would he be enlisted for remixing if the album isn't out till this Fall?
As for mixing the songs, I bet the band trusts Lillythite.

the way i see this it could be one of two things...

a) the album is all but done and they're looking for some remixes for the first few singles

or...

b) they got inspired by chris thomas' stories about working on the white album and have decided to put together a big double cd with a bunch of different sounds, capturing the vibe and feel of every era of u2 on one album... think about it... who's been in? thomas, lanois, lillywhite and now jacknife lee... a lot of people with a lot of different styles putting their hands on this one.

:shrug: the second sounds too good to be true... so i'm gonna lean towards the first. new single in the spring/early summer with lee's remixes as B sides, single appearing on some action movie soundtrack... spierman, captain crunch, count chocula... whoever.

Last edited:
Veeeerrrrrrry interesting. I've never even heard of this Jacknife Lee guy until now.

So...he's gonna do some mixing...Steve Lillywhite's there, and he produced U2's first three albums (perhaps throwing back to some of that sound again?)...and some of Chris Thomas' production is still there, and he's worked with the Beatles...:hmm:...

The results of all that together could be quite the experience. :). Looking forward to see how it all turns out.

Angela

Headache in a Suitcase said:
the way i see this it could be one of two things...

a) the album is all but done and they're looking for some remixes for the first few singles

or...

b) they got inspired by chris thomas' stories about working on the white album and have decided to put together a big double cd with a bunch of different sounds, capturing the vibe and feel of every era of u2 on one album... think about it... who's been in? thomas, lanois, lillywhite and now jacknife lee... a lot of people with a lot of different styles putting their hands on this one.

:shrug: the second sounds too good to be true... so i'm gonna lean towards the first. new single in the spring/early summer with lee's remixes as B sides, single appearing on some action movie soundtrack... spierman, captain crunch, count chocula... whoever.

I really like idea #2.

bio:

Jacknife Lee is a pop visionary. The boogie woogie man plays all the instruments, sings, mixes and records his own tunes. He makes high tech future retro pop and dreams of writing music for the band in Star Wars.
Born in Dublin and now living in London he's been playing since he was 14. Nowadays, his vision hurls him round the planet sucking up sounds from Paso Robles to Osaka. The result is a funky new noise. He comes from a musical background as opposed to a DJing one.

"I love hooks in songs, I couldn't lose them even if I wanted to". His sweet beats and luscious lyrics will blow dusty cynics out of their tree. "I want the music to be fun without being stupid".

The last couple of a years have been spent learning [programming, sampling and cooking], writing [tunes and tales of the King & Hawaiian satellites, a funky BBQ and a crunchy track featuring American cheese - Casey Kasem], recording [production and re-mixes for Bjork, The O, Shed Seven, Perry Blake, and Sack, TV theme tunes and now for Pussyfoot] recovering [from having spent 4 years playing punk rock guitar with Compulsion - he found the constraints of a band too limiting, "Every time I did anything with someone else I felt like I was having an affair"] and listening [Bacharach to Black Sabbath, The Blackbyrds to the Boards of Canada].

After his vision set him on the boogie trail, Jacknife Lee started in Jan 1998. The Pussyfoot 12" 'A Dog Named Snuggles' was his first release.

Next came the acclaimed 'Kitty Liiter' EP featuring the smah hit 'Cookies' which was used in the film 'Human Traffic'.

If you like your guitars with a 'punkier' vibe...
No problem with a guy like that on board. Bring it on.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:

:hmm: I had a dream a couple of months ago that the new U2 album turned out to be a double CD ... The songs kind of reminded me of Zooropa, though. But a double album like you are describing would be incredibly cool as well. :up:

they got inspired by chris thomas' stories about working on the white album and have decided to put together a big double cd with a bunch of different sounds, capturing the vibe and feel of every era of u2 on one album... think about it... who's been in? thomas, lanois, lillywhite and now jacknife lee... a lot of people with a lot of different styles putting their hands on this one.

Words cannot describe how cool this would be. I would buy two copies of such an album, one for listening and another to bury in a lead box deep within the earth so future civilizations can have a chance to listen to such a goodly sound.

PopFly said:
Words cannot describe how cool this would be. I would buy two copies of such an album, one for listening and another to bury in a lead box deep within the earth so future civilizations can have a chance to listen to such a goodly sound.

LOL, good idea. :).

Bono's shades...the songs sounded like something off Zooropa, eh?

Well, hey, if you and I have both had dreams in which the songs on the new album sounded good...I'd say that's a very good sign. :D.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom