(03-16-2003) Bono Talks New Album, His Back and More in New York - Interference.com *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
(03-16-2003) Bono Talks New Album, His Back and More in New York - Interference.com

http://www.interference.com/

Bono Talks New Album, His Back and More in New York

Bono's Conversation, originally scheduled for March 9th, took place at 4pm in New York City at the Graduate Center of CUNY today. It has been reported that the Q&A will be available online sometime soon.

Visit: http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?threadid=74101 for the complete Interference write-up courtesy of our very own Diane L!

Some notes from his interview:

*Bono arrived in a 4X4 and wore a brownish-red wooly-tweed jacket, flesh-colored sunglasses, and a camo hat.

?He postponed last week's talk because his back was hurting him. As he put it, "I was having far too much sex for my age!"

?He has the new album "sounds like a chainsaw starting up--maybe more cutting down of The Joshua Tree", and that it has a "big sound."

?He talked about Edge a lot. He said Edge's guitar playing sounded like a "very frustrated man who wants his singer back." He also described Edge as "very shy about his guitar playing...there's no guitar out in Edge's house--it's in a case, locked away." Bono then added, "He's Presbyterian" by way of explanation but says that now Edge is "getting over being shy about being a guitar player."

?During the question and answer period, a girl said she'd been to shows since the early 80's, and Bono always danced with a girl on stage during the show. She asked for a "5 second dance," to which Bono invited her on stage and slow danced with her for more than 5 seconds, even putting his head on her shoulder!

?At the start of the Q&A, Bono lit a clove. Someone in the audience asked if he could bum a cigarette, and Bono gave him one!

Many thanks to Diane L, sharky and Sevikins!

Last edited:
Not to doubt the source, but this confuses me LOL. The album sounding like it's "cutting down the Joshua Tree" -- didn't he say that about another album -- ATYCLB? Also, the thing about lighting up. Wasn't it just reported that "In 1999, Bono had nasal and lung problems and finally had surgery. He gave up smoking afterwards." Not to make a big issue out of smoking, but didn't he give it up then, or so I thought?

Not to embarrass anyone, it's just this confuses me so. LOL. Thanks for reporting anyway, HelloAngel. :)

Bonofied U said:
Not to doubt the source, but this confuses me LOL. The album sounding like it's "cutting down the Joshua Tree" -- didn't he say that about another album -- ATYCLB? Also, the thing about lighting up. Wasn't it just reported that "In 1999, Bono had nasal and lung problems and finally had surgery. He gave up smoking afterwards." Not to make a big issue out of smoking, but didn't he give it up then, or so I thought?

Not to embarrass anyone, it's just this confuses me so. LOL. Thanks for reporting anyway, HelloAngel. :)

No problem. :) But this was an interview given today - and our reporter was there, in person to witness Bono saying and doing these things. Sorry if the cigarette bothers you, but he did light up.

Achtung Baby was "the sound of four men chopping down the Joshua Tree." With ATYCLB, they realized "there's only so many Joshua Trees you can cut down."

HelloAngel said:

No problem. :) But this was an interview given today - and our reporter was there, in person to witness Bono saying and doing these things. Sorry if the cigarette bothers you, but he did light up.

Yeah, I know. :) I have no problem w/ the cigs -- that's none of my biz... But I was just questioning the cig report because it was reported here about his lung/throat situation back in 1999 in which made it sound like he quit all together because of the health issues. Not that I have anything against people who smoke. IMO, I think he doesn't smoke much if he does anymore -- used to see him w/ one in his hand quite frequently. But not nowadays. Must've had a case of the nerves. ;)

Schmeg said:
Achtung Baby was "the sound of four men chopping down the Joshua Tree." With ATYCLB, they realized "there's only so many Joshua Trees you can cut down."

Ah, I knew it wasn't ATYCLB - which is why I questioned it with the "?" at the end heh. But yeah I knew I heard the quote before. Sorry I don't mean to make a big deal out of it. Just trying to make sense out of it.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program...

grrr. he's still smoking.
for the love of God, Bono YOUR VOICE!! YOU'VE GOT TO SAVE YOUR VOICE!!!!!
on another note, i don't think there is a such thing as too much sex when bono is involved!!!

ZewTeeVee said:
grrr. he's still smoking.
for the love of God, Bono YOUR VOICE!! YOU'VE GOT TO SAVE YOUR VOICE!!!!!

Not that I have anything against smokers, but I think he's prolly cut down to very little if not at all. Remember the ZOO TV days when he always had one in his hand? Doesn't seem to be the case as much anymore. So hopefully he's trying to quit. For his voice's sake. Bono's a pretty smart cookie... I think he's trying. :)

He wasn't smoking cigarettes, just those clove things. Photo below.

Attachments

• bonocig.jpg
    bonocig.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 559
bono with the moderators. one was the music editor at NYT and asked music questions, the other was the special reports editors and NYT asking Africa questions.

Attachments

• bonomoderate.jpg
    bonomoderate.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 499
Well, he seems to be OK. The cig thing might be a bit of a "naughty" practical joke thing. He could probably smoke one in a week but he'd have to do it in public to freak people out. That sounds so Bono. Naughty rock star!!:lmao: :lmao: :shocked: :macdevil:

I'll try to write more tomorrow and I taped the interview so I may try and transcribe some in the next day or two [if someone doesn't beat me to it]. One other thing I thought was interesting about Edge's guitar playing was the fact that Edge doesn't really know the name of chords. Bono described it as muscle memory and if they have to ever relearn songs for live performances, Edge has to listen to the recording -- not read printed music -- to get the song down. He also likes the fact that Edge is low key -- he isn't like other guitar players that make weird faces when they play or make sure to show you the guitar as they play.

In regards to the new album, he was talking about working with Edge on a song, then Larry and Adam came in the studio and put some rhythm to it and Bono turned to Edge and said "Wow. Those guys are really good." I may be wrong but I think this is in regards to how they can continue to do new stuff.

The moderator asked a question about the fact that the band has never broken up and keep being new, and Bono said they are new because they do break up -- after every record. They reconstruct themselves each album so that they can continue to be relevant.

Oh and the mirror ball lemon is for sale. It costs alot to store. [don't know how serious bono was about selling it though].

Attachments

• bono.jpg
    bono.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 563
verte76 said:
Well, he seems to be OK. The cig thing might be a bit of a "naughty" practical joke thing. He could probably smoke one in a week but he'd have to do it in public to freak people out. That sounds so Bono. Naughty rock star!!:lmao: :lmao: :shocked: :macdevil:

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. Naughty in a pranky sort've way. hehe. Either it's a joke or he rarely does it anymore.

Someone mentioned having a copy of this Bono talk on tape?
I would highly be interested in a copy of it myself. :sexywink:

Sharky I think was the one with a copy......help me out, please?

unfortunately, tape may be a bit bad. There were a few mini disc recorders in the audience and I believe NYT will be selling copies of the interview as well -- probably much better quality.

Re: (03-16-2003) Bono Talks New Album, His Back and More in New York - Interference.com

Ooh!

I'd like a copy! That'd be cool!

I love the pictures-glad to see Bono up and moving around.

HelloAngel said:
?He postponed last week's talk because his back was hurting him. As he put it, "I was having far too much sex for my age!"

LOL!

Um...thanks for sharing, Bono...

Originally posted by HelloAngel
?During the question and answer period, a girl said she'd been to shows since the early 80's, and Bono always danced with a girl on stage during the show. She asked for a "5 second dance," to which Bono invited her on stage and slow danced with her for more than 5 seconds, even putting his head on her shoulder!

Awwww!

Angela

How does this NY Times thing work? :huh: Will it be aired on television? Or written up for the newspaper? Thanks for any info!

B looks great, :shame: for the smoking, and so far it's very interesting what he's had to say! :hyper:

oliveu2cm said:
How does this NY Times thing work? :huh: Will it be aired on television? Or written up for the newspaper? Thanks for any info!

B looks great, :shame: for the smoking, and so far it's very interesting what he's had to say! :hyper:

As far as I can tell, it won't be on television as it was just part of the New York Times' Arts & Leisure Festival. I imagine the NYT will have a write-up of some sort in their paper.

Last edited:
i, too, was at the talk- it was wonderful!! all i can say is that bono is hilarious- what i would give to spend a few hours at a pub w/ him, just listening to his crazy stories... ;)

i asked one of the cameramen why they were videotaping the special- he said it was for CUNY (City University of New York) TV, as well as a couple of other stations. i'm not entirely positive, but i think that some NYC cable subscribers get the CUNY TV station... i might call CUNY or the NYTimes and ask when/where it's going to air. ;)

everyone should see it- it's a great interview! i know that a few people recorded it, so there should be transcripts/audio surfacing soon. :)

*Ally* said:
i, too, was at the talk- it was wonderful!! all i can say is that bono is hilarious- what i would give to spend a few hours at a pub w/ him, just listening to his crazy stories... ;)

i asked one of the cameramen why they were videotaping the special- he said it was for CUNY (City University of New York) TV, as well as a couple of other stations. i'm not entirely positive, but i think that some NYC cable subscribers get the CUNY TV station... i might call CUNY or the NYTimes and ask when/where it's going to air. ;)

everyone should see it- it's a great interview! i know that a few people recorded it, so there should be transcripts/audio surfacing soon. :)

Yes - anyone who finds audio/video please PM/email me so that I can post about it.

Ally, did you get any pics, or care to write up anything about your experience? :wave: :)

Wonderful! Thanks!

It seems like something will eventually emerge from this interview; we should all get to hear/read/see it! :D

TheRealThang_101 said:
oh there just Cloves though? Was he ever an actually cigarette smoker? Or was it just always the clove/cigar thingys?

I think he's smoked cigs too, but I think he favors cigars more. In more recent years though, he's been pictured less and less w/ any smoke. My theory is he's still trying to quit. But that's just my opinion. I think the clove thing might've been a special case of the nerves. :yikes:

Back
Top Bottom