(03-13-2003) Adam Clayton Turns 43 Today - Interference.com *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
(03-13-2003) Adam Clayton Turns 43 Today - Interference.com

http://www.interference.com/

Adam Clayton Turns 43 Today

adamcolor_01.jpg

The "Jazz Man," spoon-collecting bassist of U2 with the instrument that "holds a strange power over women" turns 43 today.

Full name: Adam Charles Clayton
Date of Birth: March 13, 1960
Place of Birth: Chinnor, Oxfordshire, England
Parents: Brian and Jo Clayton
Siblings: Sister Sarah, brother Sebastian

Adam Clayton: An Appreciation - By Diane L

He is the quiet one, the one who more often than not stands in the back while the lead singer and lead guitarist and even the drummer pose more in the foreground of promotional photographs. He stands to the right as he plays bass during the stage show, doesn?t move around too much, just concentrates on laying down a musical foundation so his fellow band members can take flight. And the fact that he is so quiet, and not much is heard from him, and what little we hear sounds so appealing?that makes you want to learn more about him, and see him more of him.

While Adam Clayton doesn?t get the attention that Bono and The Edge and Larry Mullen Jr. do, there wouldn?t be a U2 without him. In the earliest days, he was the band member who held the dream of fame and fortune closest to his heart, the one who worked hardest to make it happen. He acted as manager, talking the powers-that-were at clubs into booking his group and asking for advice from local musicians. His bandmates have admitted that they might have given up without Adam?s strong belief in the group.

As the years have passed, and U2 has gone from success to success, Adam has walked a different path than Bono and The Edge and Larry. He?s never married and has no children. He partied hard at a time when his buddies would rather read their Bibles, and he now stays in his Rathfarnham mansion while the other three, particularly Bono and Edge, enjoy the nightlife. He lived the sex and drugs and rock & roll lifestyle full force, then walked away from that world and created a new world that made him even happier. And he has maintained his sobriety for several years now, winning this difficult battle one day at a time.

While Adam is not the same as Bono and The Edge and Larry, he is part of their One, this band that has touched hearts like few others during the rock era. Bono chose him to serve as best man when he married Alison Stewart, and he seems to make a point of throwing an arm around the bass man at least once during a live set. When The Edge needed a place to stay during the dissolution of his first marriage, he stayed at Adam?s home. When Adam needed help in facing his excessive drinking, Larry talked him into moving to New York City, where the bassist?s new life began. Adam reciprocates with gestures like cooking meals for these friends and serving the finest wine.

It?s not just the band that has experienced Adam?s kindness. Story after story exists of lucky fans who have made the pilgrimage to Dublin and met the man. He?s posed for pictures and chatted and generally made them feel as if they are worth talking to, as if they are important in his world. This man has class.

If I had one wish for Adam on his 43rd birthday, besides a wish for continued good health and happiness, I?d wish for him to come out of the shadows and into the light. I?d like to see him front and center sometimes, to hear what he has to say. He?s displayed a keen sense of humor and intelligence in the interviews I?ve heard and read; I?d like to hear and read more. And I have a feeling I?m not the only fan out there who would like to see and hear more from him too.

We?re glad it?s your birthday, Adam. Happy birthday to you!

Last edited:
Beautiful text... could not agree more. Even though Adam does not move around very much on stage - he is the one in U2 that are most easy to get eyecontact with on stage.

happy birthday, Adam...

Awwww!!!!

Love it!!!!!!!:sad: :sad: I agree too.....he shouldnt be in the back.. all the time in pics..........when at interviews he should give his own opinion about things........what'd he like to do.......and so forth. And what i would really like him to do........is to have more parts in songs.......for example :Your Blue Room........i like the way he says that part..........so smoothe....passionate!!!!!!!:drool:

Happy Birthday Bass!!!!!!!!!! I love You!!!!!!!!:p :p :p

That was a nice Appreciation!!

Happy Birthday Adam!!!

Back
Top Bottom