(03-12-2004) Bono Warns Martin of New AIDS Drug Bill - Globe and Mail*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
AIDS drug bill fatally flawed, activists warn

Provisions for brand-name drug firms must be removed, Bono's group urges

By STEVEN CHASE
Friday, March 12, 2004 - Page A6

OTTAWA -- A relief group founded by rock star Bono has written Prime Minister Paul Martin warning him that Canadian legislation to get cheap copies of patented medicines to poor countries will set "a poor precedent for the world" unless key provisions benefiting brand-name drug firms are removed.

"At the [Liberal leadership] convention, Bono said the world needs more Canadas. First the world needs Canada to shoulder its commitments," Debt Aids Trade Africa director Jamie Drummond tells the PM in a March 10 letter obtained by The Globe and Mail.

Bono, leader singer of the Irish rock group U2, has sent Mr. Martin a personal letter that also expresses concerns over the legislation, DATA spokesman Seth Amgott said. Bono's letter is not being made public.

Ottawa drafted Bill C-9 last fall after a worldwide deal that said countries that skirted patent laws to copy brand-name drugs in order to help fight AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria in Africa and elsewhere would not be prosecuted for it. The aim of the deal was to allow cheaper versions of lifesaving drugs to be made available to especially poor countries.

But the bill as currently written gives brand-name drug firms the "right of first refusal" to fill contracts that generic drug firms -- those that copy drugs for a living -- might arrange for poor countries. Critics say this provision is a fatal flaw that would destroy any incentive for generics to arrange humanitarian contracts for poor countries.

DATA tells Ottawa it must not legislate this right or similar rights in the bill and it scolds the government for planning to restrict in the bill which drugs can be copied to ship to developing nations.

"Giving patent holders a 'right of first refusal' or 'equal opportunity' and restricting what products are eligible sets a poor precedent for the world after so much promise from Canada," the group said.

It also warns that Bill C-9 as currently written "would undermine the very purpose of the law, which is to get affordable medicines to the 14 million people who die every day from treatable diseases."

An official in the PMO said Ottawa is listening and is ready to rework Bill C-9 to ensure it isn't a failure on the world stage. "The government's view is we should get this right because it's very important," said the official, who asked not to be named.

But another senior official in another department said Ottawa is still not prepared to deny brand-name drug companies the right to supply medicines ahead of generic companies that would simply be copying their intellectual property.

"I still believe that patent holders should have a right to sell their product before those who don't have a patent on the product."

Bono, who appeared at the Liberal leadership convention in November to beg for relief for Africa, told Mr. Martin then he was going to follow up to ensure the PM keeps his promises, warning he would be the "biggest pain in his ass."

Canada's Research-Based Pharmaceutical Companies (Rx&D) -- which represents patent holders -- could not immediately be reached for comment. Brand-name companies have argued that since they hold intellectual property rights on drug patents, they should have a right to bid on contracts that generic companies might arrange. They have said they believe there will still be instances where a generic company could still fill a contract instead of the patent holder.

The Canadian HIV-AIDS Legal Network is one of several groups that have been lobbying Ottawa to ease up on restrictions in the drugs-for-poor-countries bill.

"This bill is supposed to be about an international consensus that market competition from generic drug producers is needed to bring prices of medicines down, but instead it provides an early opportunity for Big Pharma to block competition," said Richard Elliott, director of legal policy for the group.

"There is nothing currently stopping brand-name drug makers from supplying these products at cost to developing countries tomorrow if they want to."

? 2004 Bell Globemedia Publishing Inc. All Rights Reserved.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20040312/BONO12/TPNational/Canada

what do I have to say about this.. My friend just came back from the sub committee in parliament. The news today..not good , not good at all seems there minds are made up on this one and so those of us in Canada it really is time to take action on this .. write letters etc....grr I was not happy at all.. However I am glad a letter from DATA and Bono , I hope this helps.. without making ammendments particalarly around Right of Refusal it's not going make a bit of difference

This is REALLY sad, Katey, and irritating to me!

Just a few months ago, Bono was speaking before the Liberal Party's convention and trying very hard to work with Paul Martin.
And this is what he gets for his positive PR for the Canadian PM!:eyebrow:

What this demonstrates for all of us grassroots activists is the simple fact that, while we have to attempt to work within the established political processes to help the poorest people in the world, we should NEVER delude ourselves that their main concern is not with Peace and Justice, but with their own self-serving interests.:down:

But I still SUPPORT BONO AND DATA'S EFFORTS - they are one of the few TRUE-HEARTED organizations in our world working tirelessly on behalf of the world's poorest people.:heart: :up: :bono:

yes I indeed support Bono and DATA's efforts .. I owe a great debt of grattitude to Bono that I will never being able to repay for really opening my eyes to his years ago.. It's just we need Canadians to get active here.. I trying here not get frusterated but this is not loking good .. Where are all the people that jumped on the Bandwagon when Bono came to Toronto, now is when we need their voice.. I know DATA was swamped with calls from Canadians then.. we need them now

I've been following the news on C-9, and like Katey said, things aren't looking good.
This is becomning less an AIDS issue, and more a patent issue, and that's sad. It seems the powers that be have forgotten that this is about helping people.

C-9 challenge

You can:

1. Go to the Data website DATA , click on "your action center" on the left side of the page.

Then fill out the information. once you fill out the info and type in your Country, (canada) it will prepopulate the letters for you /and you can also add your own comments.

Another option is to write directly a letter to the editor of the Globe and Mail ( that published this article). You do have to keep it to 200 words and under. I'm not sure of their address but the website link for the paper is on the first post at the bottom.

-

great ideas folks. indeed. Write a letter to your MP , the Minister , the PM your local newspapers. write to members of the standing committee. hold rally's... sign petitions.. inform other people . If you want samples of letters .. media contacts or info feel free to e-mail me..... grass roots movements do make a difference..

I hate when people play politics with lives.. here's a draft of the letter I sent about a week ago:

Dear Prime Minister,

Re: Bill C-9, Act to amend the Patent and the Food and Drug Act to permit the export of generic medicines to countries in need.

I congratulate the government for its commitment to passing legislation Bill (C-9) that will allow the manufacture and export of cheaper, generic medicines to countries needing lower-cost drugs to deal with public health problems, including HIV/AIDS, TB and malaria as well as many others.The initiative could make a significant difference in the lives of millions of poor people needing affordable medicines, and Canada will set a global
precedent with this legislation.

I respectfully draw your attention to some elements of Bill C-9 that could undermine the intended purpose of the Canadian initiative.

Bill C-9 is seriously flawed in several ways:
? It allows brand-name companies to scoop contracts negotiated by generic
drug makers with developing countries, blocking generic producers from
getting licences to supply cheaper medicines. This will undermine the very
objective of the bill.
? It includes a limited list of pharmaceutical products - for example, many
of the AIDS drugs currently used in Canada are not even on the list, nor
are many other drugs frequently needed in developing countries.
? It excludes some countries facing public health problems with limited
resources, high poverty rates and low levels of access to medicines,
because they do not belong to the WTO.
? It does not allow generic companies to contract directly with
non-governmental organizations that are critical providers of health care
in many developing countries

These shortcomings represent serious flaws that will undermine the effectiveness of the initiative, but all of them can be remedied. With this legislation, Canada will become the first country to implement the WTO decision setting an international precedent. However if Canada passes legislation that is ineffective and provides unnecessary entitlements to
patent-holding multinational pharmaceutical companies, at the expense of poor patients in the developing world, the legislation will reflect poorly on Canada and - most important - will be of little benefit to those who desperately need access to more affordable medicines.

As a Canadian and moreover as a global citizen, I urge you to fix the shortcomings of Bill C-9. We can't afford to have this Bill held up and potentially lost due to a springtime election. Our legislators must pass it now. I also call on Canada to fully support the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria. Canada's fair level of support is US$100 million a year. Currently, our government has provided US$25 million a year; we
need to get to the .7% that Lester B. Pearson recommended so many years ago. I have always been very proud of my nationality, and our place in the world. We have a history of coming to the aid of those who need us and for standing up and fighting against injustice not just in our own back yard but internationally. If the rest of the world fails to come to the aid of
Africa the fall out will effect our children's children and that is not a
legacy any of us want to leave. I believe we are put on earth for a reason and that it is our moral duty to look after one another. When a burning ball of fire is felt in the pit of an individual's stomach, it should be attended to. This emergency in Africa is a fire burning at the soul of humanity, I ask our government to do the right thing, and let Canada lead the way and set an example for the rest of the world to follow.

I appreciate your commitment to this incredibly important issue, and I thank you for your consideration of this request.

With much appreciation and thanks,

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom