(03-04-2004) GELDOF LEADS POLICE TO SUSPECTED LIVE AID PIRATE - NME.com *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regina O'Numb

War Child
GELDOF LEADS POLICE TO SUSPECTED LIVE AID PIRATE.

LIVE AID organiser BOB GELDOF has led police to a suspected music pirate who is accused of selling DVDs of the 1985 charity concert over the Internet.

Police arrested a man in Skelmersdale, Lancashire, in a raid last week. The British Phonographic Industry (BPI) said a ten-DVD set was on sale for ?110.

According to the BBC, BPI director of anti-piracy Dave Martin said Geldof was "really sickened" to find the DVDs being sold. The man was arrested and bailed without charge pending further enquiries.

Geldof spotted the DVDs on sale at the end of last year and told his lawyers to alert authorities, who launched an investigation. Police and BPI investigators tracked down the site to Skelmersdale and carried out the raid last Thursday (February 26). A PC and a small quantity of Live Aid DVDs were recovered.

Martin confirmed that Geldof was not involved after the initial tip-off.

He added: "Once somebody makes a complaint, they take a step backwards and leave it to the authorities. But I think he felt really sickened by the fact that somebody was making money from these DVDs that should have been going to charity."

http://www.nme.com/news/107728.htm

Exactly, Martha. I was about to write the same thing. This money that "should have been going to charity" can't possibly, because no official release of this is available. Why not, I have always wondered?

It's always mystified me why this hasn't already been released. This year is the 20 year anniversary isn't it? Maybe they are holding off for a birthday release...

I think the twentieth anniversary will be next year, in 2005. (I can't believe 2005 is next year. Life's whizzing past, and we'll all be dead soon.) On a happier note, I understand there's a rumour going around that U2 are working on a new album. Can anyone confirm this?

I love rummaging though the old videos. Last weekend I retutned the 1987 'World In Action' film about U2 on the JT tour to a freind of mine...I'd borrowed it in 1988 at School and was only supposed to have it for a week :)

Back
Top Bottom