(03-03-2003) Bono's War Words - GQ UK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/

BONO'S WAR WORDS
3 March 2003

U2 rocker Bono has slammed Tony Blair for his support of President George Bush's hardline stance on Iraq. The Irish star conceded that the PM was acting out of moral conviction, but insists the leader is gravely wrong. Speaking Friday after receiving the prestigious insignia of Knight of the Legion of Honour in Paris from French Pres Jacques Chirac, Bono said: "In my opinion Tony Blair is a great politician. His convictions about Iraq are sincere, but for me he is sincerely wrong." Bono added that it would be a mistake to make a martyr of Saddam Hussein through the use of force: "He's good at propaganda. Let's not make it easier for him."

I love bono with all my heart, but he is wrong here, there is NO reasoning with a man that has killed,raped,tortured,gassed his own people. sometimes war has to be done. ex:nazism,slavery,fascism,communismand now terrorism.
the numbers of innocent people saddam has and will kill, are horrific, ex : he even killed his own scientist in early february, for fear he might speak to the un inspectors. (reported from the uk telegraph) the statistics do not lie. YOU CAN'T REASON WITH A PSYCHOPATH.

Should'nt "someone" intervene on behalf of the Iraqi citizens? People who are intellectually deprived (or rather, kept in the F-ing dark!) ? People who are - in the masses - tortured and murdered by their "so-called" leader? Saddam is simply insane. He is incapable of rationalization. Do we turn our backs on this country, allowing its maniacal president to literally rape it? Yes, I'm also concerned about the threat he poses to other nations, including my own. But I am most "sickened" by what the Iraqi people are currently enduring. I'm the first to admit that I'm ignorant in the matter of foreign affairs. I know that Bono, on the other hand, is very much informed. I would love to know what his oppinion is. What solution would he suggest? What is the alternative to war?

Last edited:
I think Saddam Hussein is a :censored:. However, he's not the only odious dictator on the planet. There are many dictators who are guilty of crimes against their people. Does Bush really want to go to war for human rights, or is he more motivated by Iraq's huge oil reserves? I'm not convinced that everyone who wants to go to war in Iraq is motivated by human rights concerns. And even if they are, is this the way to address the human rights problem in Iraq? Is it even the way to remove Saddam Hussein? The plan is to bomb the heck out of Baghdad to take him out and demoralize the people out of fighting. If Bush were really concerned about human rights he'd complain about every dictatorship on the planet, from Uzbekistan to Zimbabwe. Six million people are starving to death in Zimbabwe due to the horrific policies of its dictator. Bush is not complaining about dictators in general. He's talking about *one* dictator. He could say he's against dictators and carry more credibility with this U.S. citizen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom