(02-28-2003) Next Time, We'd Like a Room With a Chair - New York Times

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.nytimes.com/

Next Time, We'd Like a Room With a Chair
By JOYCE WADLER

While dinner was being served at the fabled CLIVE DAVIS party last Saturday night, and we were being guided, rather insistently, to the so-called holding room for journalists, and looking for a place on the floor to sit, we had some time to reflect on the glamorous life.

Certain questions occurred: Is there a reason male musicians wear dark glasses, and are light colors acceptable? When approaching a diva, what is the etiquette? What has FAYE DUNAWAY been doing at all these parties, and isn't it interesting that she still wears her hair long, though the color has changed? The last time we were in a "holding room," it was with the doomed and fattened ducks at the Hudson Valley Foie Gras factory. Is there meaning in this?

And so, the first installation of the Boldface Guide to New York Night Life.

Can a Fellow Ever Wear
Lavender Shades?

Well, of course. Consider BONO, named person of the year at the MusiCares benefit last week, an event so important that guests included MAYOR MICHAEL BLOOMBERG, BILL CLINTON and MOBY. Bono is rarely without his purple wraparound rimless shades ? even POPE JOHN PAUL II tried them on when Bono visited.

Bono's look for the evening was silver hoop earrings; a gray, ruffled, shirt with cuffs hanging loose from black pointy-lapel jacket and boots with thick rubber soles. But then, he's been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.

In Bono's honor, WYNONNA JUDD wore the same shades. "I collect glasses like him," Ms. Judd said. "I even have ELTON JOHN'S designer making glasses for me."

Why does the male musician wear his shades indoors? The answer came from BOYD TINSLEY, the violinist with the DAVE MATTHEWS BAND, when we sweet-talked him into taking his off for a moment at the Davis party.

"I'm 38 and I've got these little lines around my eyes," he said.

Back
Top Bottom