(02-26-2003) Bono Puts His Money Where His Home Is - Seattle Post-Intelligencer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/

People in the News: Bono puts his money where his home is

Does money mute the message? Or give it more heft? Do megamillions in the bank matter when a celebrity tries to give witness to a social conscience and put forth an activist agenda?

Today's case study of these burning celeb questions is Bono, lead singer for supergroup U2, who is a World Citizen Par Excellance. Bono is out front and outspoken on world peace and Third World debt relief. He is mentioned as a contender for the Nobel Peace Prize. And just last Friday, Bill Clinton described Bono as a leader "we should follow in the new millennium."

But then comes word, via the New York Post, that the same Bono is reported to be the buyer of the Manhattan triplex of Apple honcho Steve Jobs, a 3,500-square-foot manse overlooking Central Park West. Purchase price? A hefty $14.7 million, although that does include Jobs' little $1 million remodel that brought the two-bedroom pad up to snuff.

Should we follow Bono toward world peace? Or toward the penthouse? Inquiring cynics want to know.

Funny thing.... This inquiring cynic hasn't got a clue. It has never been how much money Bono himself has or spends. It is about getting support and using the money people already give the government, and allocating more of it to this significant crisis. The guy is a rock star for fuck sake, at least let him try to be one when he can!

I agree. What Bono does with his money is beside the point. The crisis in Africa is so massive that it requires government action. All the charity in the world can't solve the crisis--and hell, I even work for a charity. For God's sake let the guy be a rock star. That's what he is. I think what he does with his money is his business.

Last edited:
:barf:
"Does money mute the message?"
Kiss my blarney. Since when was it a secret that Bono had money? And how does that effect the "message"?
Honestly, some ppl (like this journalist) have too much freaking time on his hands.
"Then comes word"....I think we've all known about Bono's place in New York for a LONG time now.
Dude take your cynical attitude somewhere else. How does the penthouse change anything that Bono has done for world peace, debt and AIDS? And if he follows Bono to the penthouse, he might as well consider himself a stalker.
Bono doesn't HAVE to do the things he does. He can just sit on his fookin arse if he wants. But he doesn't. And I'm proud of him for that. Penthouse or no penthouse.

mmmBono said:
Kiss my blarney. Since when was it a secret that Bono had money? And how does that effect the "message"?
Honestly, some ppl (like this journalist) have too much freaking time on his hands.
"Then comes word"....I think we've all known about Bono's place in New York for a LONG time now.
Dude take your cynical attitude somewhere else. How does the penthouse change anything that Bono has done for world peace, debt and AIDS? And if he follows Bono to the penthouse, he might as well consider himself a stalker.
Bono doesn't HAVE to do the things he does. He can just sit on his fookin arse if he wants. But he doesn't. And I'm proud of him for that. Penthouse or no penthouse.

Agreed.

Angela

mmmBono said:

Absolutely.:yes: :yes:

Back
Top Bottom