(02-24-2003) Bono Points to IRA 'Screw-Up' - The NewsLetter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/

Bono Points to IRA 'Screw-Up'

U2's Bono has warned US President George Bush that he could make a similar '' screwup'' to the one he alleges the British made over the IRA.

The Dublin supergroup's frontman, who has just been nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize in recognition of his efforts to cancel Third World debt, said that war would be a massive mistake and lead to further terrorist atrocities, adding: " People say that you first have to learn lessons from history - but history is a bunch of screw-ups.

"But there are some screwups to learn from. The way terrorism in Ireland was encouraged by a very over-thetop British response is a good example. You had 300 active service members of the Provisional IRA in the '70s and '80s and they sent in 30,000 troops.

"They also interned everybody who was suspicious without full access to trial lawyers. Internment was the thing that actually grew the IRA.''

Published: 24/02/2003

Re: Re: (02-24-2003) Bono Points to IRA 'Screw-Up' - The NewsLetter

Moonlit_Angel said:

:up: :).

Good to hear him say that.

Angela

I agree. While I'm certainly no fan of Saddam's--I think he's a :censored:, it would blow up in our face if we made the guy a martyr.:madspit: :censored:

Re: Re: Re: (02-24-2003) Bono Points to IRA 'Screw-Up' - The NewsLetter

verte76 said:

I agree. While I'm certainly no fan of Saddam's--I think he's a :censored:, it would blow up in our face if we made the guy a martyr.:madspit: :censored:

Exactly.

I don't doubt Saddam's a horrible person, and he should be dealt with.

But Bono's right-war will not help things.

Smart man, that Bono...

Angela

HelloAngel said:
"But there are some screwups to learn from. The way terrorism in Ireland was encouraged by a very over-thetop British response is a good example. You had 300 active service members of the Provisional IRA in the '70s and '80s and they sent in 30,000 troops.

"They also interned everybody who was suspicious without full access to trial lawyers. Internment was the thing that actually grew the IRA.''

Published: 24/02/2003

That's an interesting comparison but I think it's pretty accurate.

Attacking Iraq won't "rid the world of a terrorist threat" but it'll certainly give plenty of motivation to other terrorist groups :( Having said that, I agree that Saddam is a :censored: but bombing innocent people isn't ever a solution.

:: rant over ::

Back
Top Bottom