(02-21-2003) AllStar Lineup Performs U2 Songs for Bono w/Pics! - Interference.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
(02-21-2003) AllStar Lineup Performs U2 Songs for Bono in NYC - Interference.com

http://www.interference.com/

AllStar Lineup Performs U2 Songs for Bono in NYC

Looking for VIDEO? GO here: http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72827

Bono was honored in New York City on Friday night as the recipient of the 2003 MusiCares Person of the Year Award for all of his humanitarian efforts, and accomplishments as a musician. The dinner, silent auction and tribute concert took place at the Marriott Marquis in Manhattan.

What you may not know much about it the AllStar lineup of artists who performed U2 SONGS all to honor Bono!!

The lineup included:

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - "Stories for Boys."
Sheryl Crow - "All I Want Is You"
B.B. King & Wynonna Judd - "When Love Comes To Town"
Garbage - "Pride"
..And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead - "The Electric Co."
No Doubt and Sly & Robbie - "The Sweetest Thing,"
Mary J Blige - "One"
Norah Jones - "Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of"
Elvis Costello - "Kite"
Patti LaBelle - "Angel of Harlem"

Bono and the Edge sang "The Hands that Built America" and "Night and Day," while a solo Bono sang "That's Life." Fellow U2 bandmates Larry Mullen Jnr and Adam Clayton were not in attendance.

Bono arrived with wife Ali Hewson, and daughters Jordan and Eve. During the night, he was surrounded by pals: actor Ed Burns, supermodel Christy Turlington, former President Bill Clinton, actor Robert DeNiro, Little Steven Van Zandt, REM singer Michael Stipe, electronic musician Moby, and Heart of American touring partner - actress Ashley Judd.

Sharky from Interference.com writes:
I saw alot of celebs. Christian Slater and Fred Durst came together [creepy!], Ashley Judd, John Mayer, Evander Holyfield, Melissa Ehtridge, Patti LaBelle, Michael Stipe, Christy Turlington WITH Ed Burns, Naomi Campbell, Robert DeNiro etc. And of course, Paul McGuinness and Edge and Morleigh. [no Adam or Larry that I saw, they may have come in the back way]. Bono showed up. Ali and the girls got out of the car first and waited at the beginning of the Red Carpet. There were about 150-200 people waiting on the street to see celebrity arrivals, Bono went over and shook hands, got close to me [close enough!] and went on the Red Carpet.

Afterward, tried to meet him and Edge to no luck. There were too many people there just to see celebrities so every time someone came out there was a crush. I tried to get him on the way out but with all the people and papparazzi, I gave up in the crush. It was getting mob-like on his way to the car. Little scary.

I heard Patti LaBelle belting out part of Angel of Harlem before security kicked us out of the hotel. sounded so cool! I know it probably didn't happen at a $25,000 a table charity event, but maybe someone taped the show and will make copies.......

Thanks to ouizy and sharky!

Be sure to scroll through the entire thread to see all the pictures!

1045928618.2282127400.jpg

Bono performs

1045893742.4026810487.jpg

Bono and The Edge Perform

mdf215041.jpg

Norah Jones

1045913475.3825574006.jpg

Shirley Manson/Garbage

1045913069.3691348093.jpg

Patti LaBelle

912044.jpg

Bono and The Edge Perform - WireImage

911981.jpg

Bono performs - WireImage

911980.jpg

911876.jpg

911961.jpg

Last edited:
I hope to god this will be televised. Looking at that setlist, I want to see those performances so bad. There's GOT to be plans to televise it -- There's a potential to rake in buttloads of viewers, here...

1045939692.3489923195.jpg

Singer Gwen Stefani of the group 'No Doubt' performs at the Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences Musicares Person of the Year tribute dinner in New York February 21, 2003. Irish singer Bono was honored for his accomplishments as a musician and as a humanitarian. REUTERS/Fred Prouser

1045940619.4228210814.jpg

Legendary blues guitarist and singer B.B. King performs at the Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences Musicares Person of the Year tribute dinner in New York February 21, 2003. Irish singer Bono was honored for his accomplishments as a musician and as a humanitarian. REUTERS/Fred Prouser

Re: (02-21-2003) AllStar Lineup Performs U2 Songs for Bono in NYC - Interference.com

Im just so amazed at how TOTALLY fitting each of the artists selected were for the songs!!!

No Doubt/Sly n Robbie doing the reggae influenced Sweetest Thing= PERFECT!

Patti Labellle doing Angel = Perfect!

MJ Blige on ONE = AMAZING!!!

Springsteen on All I Want = PERFECT!!

Damn I hope there is a boot of this, and quick!!

Watching the U2 time line now. Just watched some snippets from the MusicCares awards and then it straight intoSunday Bloody Sunday original video. Bono and the guys so young and passionate. Nothing has changed just the ages. Saw Nora Jones do part of Stuck in a Moment and interviews with various stars praising the band.. Man... still 3 more hours. Can't believe it.. Pride video just started..

Actually I got to thinking that they may be showing the "Tribute To Bono" video on the Grammies when they announce (I think they announce) Bono as recieving the MusiCares award. I SO hope so, that video was FANTASTIC!

Back
Top Bottom