(02-15-2003) MERGED-->U2 use Oscar Buzz to Finish New Song - Entertainment Weekly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dorian Gray

Refugee
New U2 Song - "Native Son"

U2log.com has got a little tidbit on a new song called "Native Son." Apparently the band were inspired by their Oscar nom to finish this new "scorching 45."

Good news :)

Cool. I just went and read that too.

When I first read your thread I thought you meant there was a clip of the song on ther for some reason. I was disappointed.

Here's what it says at U2log.com:

In the February 21 issue of Entertainment Weekly, Bono says the phone call notifying the band of their Oscar nomination for "The Hands That Built America" has inspired them to complete work on a new song.

"We've got a song up on the burner called 'Native Son,'" Bono said. "The best way I think we can celebrate is to just finish out what we're doing: Make this song a scorching 45. The molecules in the air are vibrating quite nicely as a result of that phone call."

I particular like this statement: The molecules in the air are vibrating quite nicely as a result of that phone call.

I hope their Oscar nominations does more than inspires a scorching song, but a scorching album that they are going to have finished and out soooooon!!!

PREDICTION: When the record is out, Bono will be quoted in the press saying something along the lines of "the molecules in the air were vibrating quite nicely when we made this record."

The album will be called Vibration.

Then we'll get the Vibration tour. "We're allowing people to come to a rock show and for everyone to send out good vibrations." It'll be a dumb concept no one gets.

I'm just being dumb, of course.

Or am I?

just finish it already. theyve been working on this since the end of the elevation tour. they take far too long, put it out!!!!!!

(02-15-2003) U2 use Oscar Buzz to Finish New Song - Entertainment Weekly

http://www.ew.com/

U2 use Oscar Buzz to Finish New Song

The February 21st issue of Entertainment Weekly ("Your Complete Guide to Oscar") features a quote from Bono about U2's Oscar nomination for Best Song for "The Hands That Built America (theme from Gangs of New York)."

For those who have the issue, or plan on looking for it, the quote is at the bottom of page 25 in "The Chicago Fire" article.

The blurb in full reads:

And across the globe in Dublin, the boys from U2 used the buzz from their first-ever nomination (Best Song for their Gangs theme, "The Hands that Built America") to their advantage.

"We've got a song up on the burner called 'Native Son,'" says Bono. The best way I think we can celebrate is to just finish out what we're doing: Make this song a scorching 45. The molecules in the air are vibrating quite nicely as a result of that phone call."

We felt those vibes on this side of the ocean, too.

Last edited:
Like the idea of Larry's Kitchen Sink!!
I don't really care what the album is called, as long as it comes out soon, and it ROCKS!! I NEED some new U2 music!!

I wonder if "Native Son" bears any relation to "Origin of the Species"... maybe I'm reading to far into this.

Although, based upon the song titles, maybe we're beginning to see a theme emerging here.

Dorian Gray said:
I wonder if "Native Son" bears any relation to "Origin of the Species"... maybe I'm reading to far into this.

Although, based upon the song titles, maybe we're beginning to see a theme emerging here.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

Concept album? :hmm: :hyper:

Dorian Gray said:

I think the possibility is it's more likely a concept album than that the songs are the same. 'Origin of the Species' is about Edge's daughter (Spin article), so as we can thus deduce, there is a gender difference there (in the two songs) and, therefore, can't be about the same subject ("Son" & daughter).

Back
Top Bottom