(02-12-2004) U2 forgoes song's royalties to help Nebraska charity - World Herald *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regina O'Numb

War Child
U2 forgoes song's royalties to help Nebraska charity.

BY CHRISTINE LAUE.

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER.

The world-famous rock band U2 has granted permission to a Nebraska nonprofit group to use its Grammy-award-winning song "Beautiful Day" in radio and TV ads without having to pay royalty fees.

The move comes as corporations are paying millions for the rights to play big-time musicians' songs in commercials. Jaguar reportedly paid $8 million to air a commercial with Sting's "Desert Rose."

The song is used in radio and TV spots for the Nebraska Organ and Tissue Donor Coalition. The ads, which began airing Tuesday, feature Chris Klug, who won the bronze medal in snowboarding at the 2002 Winter Olympics just 18 months after receiving a liver transplant.

Brian Hamburger, chairman of the coalition's board, wrote the proposal seeking the band's permission and sent it to a Chicago contact who has worked with U2.

"She took it and put it in the right people's hands," Hamburger said. "I am told that they had to take it directly to the band. It's really quite stunning for them to help Nebraska."

U2 is widely known for its support of a range of worldwide charities.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&u_pg=1458&u_sid=1002119

I AGREE, Diane L.

If U2 has shown us anything over the years, it is the willingness to put the Good of another over themselves.

For me, they have been mentors to help me find my Better Self.

What a WONDERFUL way to celebrate Valentine's Day!

It's a Beautiful Day! Don't let it get away!:wave:

Would I be correct in remembering that it's Larry's role to decide the appropriate use of U2's songs for other causes?
So, would that be "Thanks U2 - especially Larry Mullen!" ?!?

A noble deed for a noble cause.

Organ and tissue donation is something that many people don't want to talk about. All of you who think U2 have done something wonderful can do something even greater. Sign those organ donor cards and make sure your loved ones know your wishes. I did, my husband did and we signed for our children as well and now we don't have to think about it anymore. :heart:

good stuff, reason #4455440 why I love this band (Sting does suck...loved the Police but since he went solo...uhh, how did he go from "roxanne" to a "desert rose"??)

fah said:
A noble deed for a noble cause.

Organ and tissue donation is something that many people don't want to talk about. All of you who think U2 have done something wonderful can do something even greater. Sign those organ donor cards and make sure your loved ones know your wishes. I did, my husband did and we signed for our children as well and now we don't have to think about it anymore. :heart:

Also check the laws in your state... in some states, the organ donor cards are NOT binding. In addition to letting your family know your wishes, you should also sign over a power of attorney - medical to a trusted friend... in the heartbreaking circumstances in which organ donation is requested, your family may deny your wishes, and having a friend give the go-ahead can save other lives.

goat

}:)~

Moonlit_Angel said:
Heeeeeyyyyyyy, I live in Nebraska...this is really cool news! :D.

That's really nice of them. Very cool move on their part.

Angela

Hey, now that U2 are aware that Nebraska exists, maybe they'll play there on the next tour! I know that Omaha just built a new arena recently with a 15,000 capacity. So, here's hoping for the fans of Nebraska!!

That aside, U2's generosity never ceases to amaze me. That's really great of them.

Back
Top Bottom