(01-29-2004) Republicans Blast Bono - Rolling Stone.com - *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regina O'Numb

War Child
Republicans Blast Bono

U2 singer target in FCC's crackdown.

More than a year after Bono said, "This is really, really fucking brilliant" on live TV, Republicans have launched a fresh attack on the U2 singer and a broad attempt to scrub obscenity from the airwaves.
In October, the Federal Communications Commission's enforcement bureau ruled that Bono's acceptance speech at the 2003 Golden Globes -- U2 won for "The Hands That Built America," from Gangs of New York -- was not indecent or obscene because it "did not describe sexual or excretory organs or activities." On January 13th, FCC chairman Michael Powell demanded that the decision be reversed. "I personally believe that this growing coarseness in use of such profanity . . . is abhorrent and irresponsible," Powell said at a National Press Club luncheon on January 14th. "And it's irresponsible of our programmers to continue to try to push the envelope." Powell, who will need votes from at least two of his fellow commissioners to reverse the decision, also called on Congress to raise obscenity fines on broadcasters to at least ten times the present maximum of $27,500 per violation.

Within hours of Powell's speech, Rep. Fred Upton (R-Mich.) said that he would seek to dramatically increase penalties for broadcasters. Eleven other Republicans and Sen. Ernest "Fritz" Hollings (D-S.C.) have sponsored a resolution that asks the FCC to revoke the license of television stations that repeatedly air indecent material. A bill sponsored by Rep. Doug Ose (R-Calif.) and Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Texas) even aims to completely ban, from all radio and network television broadcasts, the following words: shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker and asshole.

"These seven words don't have any possible use over the public airwaves that can be anything but profane," Ose says. "There's just no use for them."

Bono told a reporter, "If you use [expletives] in your everyday speech, sometimes they will come out. I don't mean to offend anyone." Several other musicians told Rolling Stone that Powell's campaign is misguided. Eamon, whose breakup ballad "F**k It" is the best-selling single on the Billboard charts, says, "It's a guaranteed waste of time." Singer-songwriter Steve Earle, whose recent Tell Us the Truth Tour aimed to raise awareness about the dangers of media consolidation, says, "I don't think anyone, with the exception of the Christian right, gives a fuck about whether someone says a dirty word on the radio or TV anymore. There are much bigger fish that the FCC should be frying, if the FCC is indeed about the stewardship of the airwaves."

Critics say that Republicans are ignoring the value of free speech. Under Ose's rules, for example, CBS' Emmy Award-winning documentary, 9/11, which included many obscenities, would either have been banned from television or significantly bleeped. Live broadcasts would also lose their immediacy: "One of the exciting things about live TV is that you're always looking for that unguarded moment," says Scott Grogan, a spokesman for Fox, which is being investigated for a December 10th broadcast of the Billboard Music Awards that included Nicole Richie swearing. "When you get that live moment -- it's what makes TV so vital."

DAMIEN CAVE
(January 28, 2004)

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/newsarticle.asp?nid=19246

George Carlin's Seven Dirty Words

The big seven words you weren't allowed to broadcast were: Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker and Tits.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the original Carlin comedy routine that caused the Fracas.

"I love words. I thank you for hearing my words. I want to tell you something about words that I uh, I think is important. I love..as I say, they're my work, they're my play, they're my passion. Words are all we have really.

We have thoughts, but thoughts are fluid. You know, [humming]. And, then we assign a word to a thought, [clicks tongue]. And we're stuck with that word for that thought. So be careful with words. I like to think, yeah, the same words that hurt can heal. It's a matter of how you pick them.

There are some people that aren't into all the words. There are some people who would have you not use certain words. Yeah, there are 400,000 words in the English language, and there are seven of them that you can't say on television. What a ratio that is. 399,993 to seven. They must really be bad. They'd have to be outrageous, to be separated from a group that large. All of you over here, you seven. Bad words. That's what they told us they were, remember? 'That's a bad word.' 'Awwww.' There are no bad words. Bad thoughts. Bad Intentions.

And words, you know the seven don't you? Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker, and Tits, huh? Those are the heavy seven. Those are the ones that will infect your soul, curve your spine and keep the country from winning the war.

Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker, and Tits, wow. Tits doesn't even belong on the list, you know. It's such a friendly sounding word. It sounds like a nickname. 'Hey, Tits, come here. Tits, meet Toots, Toots, Tits, Tits, Toots.' It sounds like a snack doesn't it? Yes, I know, it is, right. But I don't mean the sexist snack, I mean, New Nabisco Tits. The new Cheese Tits, and Corn Tits and Pizza Tits, Sesame Tits Onion Tits, Tater Tits, Yeah. Betcha can't eat just one. That's true I usually switch off . But I mean that word does not belong on the list.

Actually, none of the words belong on the list, but you can understand why some of them are there. I am not completely insensitive to people's feelings. You know, I can dig why some of those words got on the list...like cocksucker and motherfucker. Those are...those are heavy-weight words. There's a lot going on there, man. Besides the literal translation and the emotional feeling. They're just busy words. There's a lot of syllables to contend with. And those K's. Those are aggressive sounds, they jump out at you. CocksuckerMotherfuckerCocksucker. It's like an assault, on you. So I can dig that.

And we mentioned shit earlier, of course. Two of the other 4-letter Anglo-Saxon words are Piss and Cunt, which go together of course. But forget about that. A little accidental humor there. Piss and Cunt. The reason Piss and Cunt are on the list is that a long time ago certain ladies said 'Those are the two I am not going to say. I don't mind Fuck and Shit, but P and C are out. P and C are out.' Which led to such stupid sentences as 'OK, you fuckers, I am going to tinkle now.'

And of course the word Fuck. The word Fuck, I don't really...well, this is some more accidental humor, but I don't really want to get into that now. Because I think it takes too long. But I do mean that. I mean, I think the word fuck is an important word. It's the beginning of life, and, yet it's a word we use to hurt one other, quite often. And uh, people much wiser than I have said, I'd rather have my son watch a film with two people making love than two people trying to kill one other. And I of course agree. I wish I know who said it first, and I agree with that. But I would like to take it a step further. I would like to substitute the word fuck, for the word kill in all those movie cliches we grew up with. 'Okay Sheriff, we're gonna fuck ya now. But we're gonna fuck ya slow.' So maybe next year I'll have a whole fuckin' rap on that word. I hope so.

Uh, there are two-way words, but those are the seven you can never say on television. Under any circumstances you just can not say them ever, ever ever, not even clinically. You can not weave them in the panel with Doc and Ed and Johnny, I mean it's just impossible, forget those seven, they're out.

But, there are some two-way words. There are double-meaning words. Remember the ones your giggled at in sixth grade? 'And the cock crowed three times.''Hey, the cock the cock crowed three times. It's in the bible.' There are some Two-way words, like it's okay for Kirk Goudy(sp?) to say 'Roberto Clemente has two balls on him.' But he can't say, 'I think he hurt his balls on that play Tony, don't you? He's holding them. He must have hurt them by God.' And the other two-way word that goes with that one is prick. It's okay if it happens to your finger. Yes, you can prick your finger, but don't finger your prick. No, no."

instead of finish to bring war all over they go, they care about that you shouldn't say fuck!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: fuck off you stupid, and stop bombing so much innocents, you motherfucker!! :mad: are they at least able to write the word PEACE??!!

Of course, the title of the article should really say "Some Republicans Blast Bono" (along with some conservative Democrats like the Liebermans), but Rolling Stone is too busy painting all Republicans with a broad brush in between putting guys like Al Gore and Howard Dean on their front cover to offer any kind of objective view of the situation.

TiaraGurl said:
maybe if the republicans would be this gung ho about the aids pandemic we would have something...

No kidding! That's definitely a more pressing issue worthy of their time and effort.

Headache, that's the thing-I personally don't think those threads should be closed. And I don't think this whole thing is some horrid conspiracy, as you put it-I just think it's pathetic that these people are still going on about it a year later. Let it go already. Most people didn't care, most people wouldn't even give it a second thought if these people didn't keep bringing it up every single chance they get.

Bono did not violate any FCC rules-he wasn't describing a sexual act or anything. The worst he could do was offend a few people, which he had absolutely NO intention of doing. That, and he's said that word so many times before, why this particular time is being hyped up, I fail to understand.

That, and considering the fact that some of the people who've been lambasting Bono for the mere "f" word have said a hell of a lot worse about certain groups of people (Reverend Wildman was one of the people who's upset with Bono-have you heard his comments on homosexuals, by any chance?), they really have absolutely NO room to be talking about offensive words.

Angela

kellyahern said:
Does this mean that they're going to go after Diane Keaton now too? :scratch: :rolleyes:

well, if they went after Bono, they should at least be fair.
Personally, i think they shouldnt raise the fine, they should just enforce it. But whoever said they should be doing more important things (like trying to take care of the AIDS crisis) was ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!

:yes: Yes, i agree Moon-and isn't it interesting how people 'judge others by what they do, but themselves by their good intentions'!! This should be so Over and done with!!!!:scratch: I guess some people just have too much 'idle' time available! Ain't it a shame!:|

Okay I may well be showing my age here but this whole issue just makes me want to play Anthrax' "Startin' Up A Posse"......
really loud....
outside Michael Powell (coincidence, Colin Powell's son? I think not)'s house....
at 10 at night.....

they wanna waste all this time and raise fines to THREE MILLION US DOLLARS per incident...
so the FCC can protect people's delicate sensibilities.

meanwhile, rapists and murderers get paroled and go out and do it again because there isn't enough money to keep track of them all. Just like we had here in Massachusetts recently.

SO many more issues we could be spending this kind of time and money and energy on. Ludicrous.

:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

Last edited:
What took them so long to go after Bono? Back at the 1994 Grammys, U2 won a Grammy, and Bono made the acceptance speech saying that they would "continue to abuse our position and fuck up the mainstream."
This does not make any sense at all. :scratch:

:yawn:

I am getting tired of this continually coming up. It was on our local news last night. They can ban every kind of offensive word from TV but it is ultimately up to the parents or adults to teach and emphasize to their children that it is not the proper language to use. If they arent exposed to it via the media they are going to be exposed to it in the real world eventually.

There are far more serious issues going on in this country and the world that need more focus than what you can and cannot say on TV. When will people get priorities straight?

forbonou2 said:
:yes: Yes, i agree Moon-and isn't it interesting how people 'judge others by what they do, but themselves by their good intentions'!! This should be so Over and done with!!!!:scratch: I guess some people just have too much 'idle' time available! Ain't it a shame!:|

Exactly. And yeah, it's very interesting.

Like others have said...Bono's done so much good stuff for this world, it's such a shame some people decide to not focus on that aspect of him. He's a really nice guy, and would never intentionally offend anybody, and that's something these people yelling at him should realize. Excuse him for being happy to have won an award.

Also, well said, Kariann and wolfeden. :yes: :up:.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
Like others have said...Bono's done so much good stuff for this world, it's such a shame some people decide to not focus on that aspect of him.

:yes: Good point, Moonlit.

I am so super sick of this. I can't even... just... bleh.

Rolling Stone Magazine got the title wrong. Republican's are not blasting Bono, they are Blasting the FCC's ruling on this particular use of the word.

If the title had said, "Republicans blast FCC", no one would have read it and the article may not of even appeared here even though it would mention Bono and the Golden Globes.

Its not surprising that many Republicans are concerned about. There are millions of people in this country that do have a problem with four letter words being said on TV.

I'm not one of them though, but I also realize that it can be offensive to a lot of people regardless of how it is used.

i hate... HATE people who blame every little thing wrong with society on television, music, movies, etc. nothing pisses me off more. my kid shot someone 'cause they played the video game Grand Theft Auto... my kid paralyzed the neighbor 'cause they watched WWF Smackdown... my kid curses 'cause he listens to eminem... my kid killed himself because he listens to ac/dc... my kid shot up the school because of marilyn manson...

it's all a load of crap... and anyone who says that their kids are gonna start cursing because bono let an F bomb slip on live television is full of crap, too. that being said, i am 100% for this law... for fines based on indescensy on the airwaves. i always agree with the argument new york shock jocks opie and anthony used to abide by... "if you don't like the content of the show, change the channel." well i'd like to think the arguement goes both ways... if you want to hear shows with the full use of the english language, curses and all... turn on hbo. turn on showtime. put on a dvd. but if we don't keep some of the airwaves clean, then what? where do we change the channel to?

the knock on bono is overkill. it wans't his fault, it was the network dump guy's fault for not being on top of it and letting it slip out. even "live" tv is on at least a 2 second delay. that being said, if someone kills someone but didn't mean to do it, they're still going to jail. if bono breaks a law and curses on public television, he should pay the fine and get over with it.

and again... i bet ya if i started a thread where i cursed in every other word, someone would close it... yet some of the same people who would close my thread for being indecent think that the republicans are wrong for wanting to enforce the law in this situation... very very interesting.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
i hate... HATE people who blame every little thing wrong with society on television, music, movies, etc. nothing pisses me off more. my kid shot someone 'cause they played the video game Grand Theft Auto... my kid paralyzed the neighbor 'cause they watched WWF Smackdown... my kid curses 'cause he listens to eminem... my kid killed himself because he listens to ac/dc... my kid shot up the school because of marilyn manson...

it's all a load of crap... and anyone who says that their kids are gonna start cursing because bono let an F bomb slip on live television is full of crap, too. that being said, i am 100% for this law... for fines based on indescensy on the airwaves. i always agree with the argument new york shock jocks opie and anthony used to abide by... "if you don't like the content of the show, change the channel." well i'd like to think the arguement goes both ways... if you want to hear shows with the full use of the english language, curses and all... turn on hbo. turn on showtime. put on a dvd. but if we don't keep some of the airwaves clean, then what? where do we change the channel to?

the knock on bono is overkill. it wans't his fault, it was the network dump guy's fault for not being on top of it and letting it slip out. even "live" tv is on at least a 2 second delay. that being said, if someone kills someone but didn't mean to do it, they're still going to jail. if bono breaks a law and curses on public television, he should pay the fine and get over with it.
:yes:

It's all old news; Bono has a sordid past of cursing on live television. If they were gonna get so uptight about it they should go after the censor who let it slip through.

If my kid started using language like that, I would start checking myself before going after Bono and Eminem, because not only do I have a trash mouth, but they'd interact with me a lot more than them. :shrug:

Headache, I agree with you mostly. Except the mod part :wink:
I'd be probably the most right mod here, give or take, and wouldn't have much of a problem with it. It goes along the lines of your changing the channel theme of opening another thread if it bothers anyone. The only reason I'd ever care is cos of the youngin's on the forum.

That said though, I find it equally interesting that you for example, as at least part republican might see rhyme and reason in this whole swearing issue, yet would have no problem putting it on a privately owned, yet fully publically viewable forum?
My friend, it is indeed interesting...:sexywink:

As for Bono/the FCC/swearing on tv etc, it isn't really necessary is it? It'd be nice for at least some places to be vulgar language free and I'm no prude. This whole thing of Bono being missed for what work he does do, is kinda interesting too. Some people would watch this show and think 'gee, another potty mouthed rock star. how typical'. The music industry doesn't have exactly the greatest reputation for having some of the most clean living and upstanding citizens. Swearing, no matter how unintentional or inconsequential, isn't going to help that image. Not that it matters, I know...
:shrug:

Angela Harlem said:
That said though, I find it equally interesting that you for example, as at least part republican might see rhyme and reason in this whole swearing issue, yet would have no problem putting it on a privately owned, yet fully publically viewable forum?
My friend, it is indeed interesting...:sexywink:

touche' :wink:

Last edited:
Idiots. With all the problems in the world they are griping about one word? Politics these days is reduced to the significance of thirty second sound bites on the evening news and other such trivial pursuit. It burns me up!!:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

i do believe they care about other things... just because they care about this also doesn't mean they're only concearned with this issue. to say otherwise is just silly. politicians obviously have many issues to deal with... from trivial matters to life and death matters... some are obviously more important, all must be dealt with.

Back
Top Bottom