(01-29-2004) Bush Under Fire Over Global AIDS Funding -- Reuters *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Bush Under Fire Over Global AIDS Funding

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - AIDS advocacy groups said on Wednesday President Bush's proposed budget for next year would cut assistance by almost two-thirds to the U.N.-backed Global Fund to Fight AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria, threatening its operations in Africa.

In the fiscal 2005 budget he will send to Congress on Monday, Bush is expected to propose $2.7 billion to combat global AIDS -- disappointing AIDS groups that had expected at least $3 billion.

Of the $2.7 billion, an estimated $200 million would go to the Global Fund, down from $550 million in the current year, according an African relief group known as DATA that Irish pop star Bono is associated with.

DATA's executive director, Jamie Drummond, accused the Bush administration of "robbing Peter to pay Paul," and warned that the cutbacks threatened the Global Fund's ability to continue programs already in place, as well as new grants.

The White House said Bush was not backing away from his commitment to support the fund.

"The Global Fund is an important part of the president's plan and there will be a steady and sustained commitment to the Global Fund," a White House official said.

RESULTS, a grass-roots health advocacy organization, said U.S. money should be front-loaded to combat the spreading crisis.

Bush a year ago pledged $15 billion to help combat HIV/AIDS in Africa and the Caribbean -- effectively tripling U.S. spending over five years.

He touted the initiative during a July visit to Africa, where almost 30 million people live with the disease, including 3 million children under the age of 15.

At $2.7 billion, the 2005 budget request would top the $2.4 billion backed by Congress for the current fiscal year.

Bush's AIDS initiative calls for providing anti-viral treatment to HIV people in Africa and the Caribbean who cannot afford it. It would also help children who have lost one or both parents and work toward prevention with programs aimed at sexual abstinence, education and promotion of condom use.

dsmith2904 said:

Bush a year ago pledged $15 billion to help combat HIV/AIDS in Africa and the Caribbean -- effectively tripling U.S. spending over five years.

He touted the initiative during a July visit to Africa, where almost 30 million people live with the disease, including 3 million children under the age of 15.

At $2.7 billion, the 2005 budget request would top the $2.4 billion backed by Congress for the current fiscal year.

Bush's AIDS initiative calls for providing anti-viral treatment to HIV people in Africa and the Caribbean who cannot afford it. It would also help children who have lost one or both parents and work toward prevention with programs aimed at sexual abstinence, education and promotion of condom use.

so he's tripled america's spending on combating aids, and has asked for 300 million more than what congress allowed for this year... and he's an asshole for doing so...

i don't friggin get it.

oh people, you wouldn't expect that he would lose his time with aids???? he needs money, he has to buy some bombs for some new bombings, don't forget that he's fighting against evil!!! if millions of children are dying of aids, what do we want from poor bush?! he's doing as well his part killing millions of children with his fucking bombs, he's a fine thinker, he kills them with his bombs before they would die of aids...bush...i got really no comments for this sort of human being :censored: :censored:

So Bush went to Africa came back and changed his mind? WTF.. Did he go visit Africa with blinders on his eyes???? Did he not see the faces of the children? Adults?? I wonder if the USA was in the situation that Africa is in and another country promised so much money then cut it down to give this country, how would Mr. Bush feel? maybe the man has no feelings??? ahhhhhhhhhh I want him OUT OF THE WHITE HOUSE BEFORE WE GO INTO ANOTHER WAR!!!

The majority of this funding is slated for U.S. governmental agencies rather than actual programs in the afflicted countries that can administer education, testing, and treatment to their people. Well gee look at that it's George Bush labeling his intitiative Fighting Global Aids , but not really dealing with Global Aids. His plan is unilateral.. instead of getting more money to the Global Fund he is designating the majority to U.S based organization insteads.. yet another big suprise. When he will ever figure out that this needs nothing less then a Mulitateral effort is beyond me.. I can be sure of this though .. only time will tell how this emergency will play out .. So I am dissapointed , angered yes.. it just makes me want to work even harder though .. I hope the American public will step up , I hope public everyway steps up.. The Global Fund is simply not on track to meet it's goals .. and with another shot in the arm this is not politics.. it is peoples lives.. 7000 a day alone in Africa obviously has not effected Bush as it should , he is a politician yes,, but I guess I had hoped morality for once and heart would overcome.. I hope that he never feels the effects of what this could mean .. not just for Africa but for Americas future

Last edited:
Gee, what a surprise..I guess athletes on steroids is more important, maybe we should spend the money on that :rolleyes:

I would never vote for him anyway, but this should be an important election issue.

I think Mr. Drummond from DATA explains it very well

Re: Re: (01-29-2004) Bush Under Fire Over Global AIDS Funding -- Reuters *

Headache in a Suitcase said:

so he's tripled america's spending on combating aids, and has asked for 300 million more than what congress allowed for this year... and he's an asshole for doing so...

i don't friggin get it.

Because it's still pissing in the wind hoping a few drops might land on the flames. Right-wing Republican and Democrats (really the very notion that there are two parties in America any more is laughable, its Republican and Republican lite, ironically the Democrats used to be the conservative party and the Republicans the one hinting a reforms) are busy shitting themselves over swear words driving towards a stroke from moral indignation while thousands of people die a day in Africa. 2.7 Billion vs. 87 Billion for the war and 500 Billion for general Military expenditures... ooh we're really supposed to get up and clap. Especially when so much of it will never be seen in Africa as others have said.

u2philly said:
So Bush went to Africa came back and changed his mind? WTF.. Did he go visit Africa with blinders on his eyes???? Did he not see the faces of the children? Adults?? I wonder if the USA was in the situation that Africa is in and another country promised so much money then cut it down to give this country, how would Mr. Bush feel? maybe the man has no feelings??? ahhhhhhhhhh I want him OUT OF THE WHITE HOUSE BEFORE WE GO INTO ANOTHER WAR!!!

does anyone else realize that president bush could want to get that funding out there with all his heart, but that doesn't mean that the congress will approve it. i feel that president bush sincerely wants to help africa, bono even says that he believes the president is sincere. but it is the congress' job to approve funding, and they have the power to kill things like funding for africa.

also, has in this forum acutally spoken to any iraqis to ask them if they prefer things before or after the war? has anyone taken the time to compare the number of children president bush as killed to the number saddam did?

sounds to me like many people out there speak without really realizing what they're talking about, and make personal attacks on the wrong people for the wrong reasons. what do i think about a person who does this, i really have no comment for this kind of person.:| :|

I feel sorry for Bono and his friends over in Africa. But if the American public had to listen to people like me, we wouldn't be in this mess. I'm from Texas. I am a native Texan, and "Dubya" is not. He just moved here. He bought his way into the Governor's mansion in Austin because the family was in the oil business down here. Dubya also owned partially the Texas Rangers baseball team back over ten years ago. They were loosing so he got out. Then later he became governor of this state and really screwed things up. He allowed the insurance companies to do what they want. Property taxes increased. Then he cut taxes by 50% from the rich Oil companies, based here in Texas, which was money that went to the education fund! Now teachers are paying double the amount for health care, there's not enough money for textbooks and computers, and the teacher salaries has come to almost a screeching halt. I am a teacher here and I can tell you that for the first time ever in my life my paycheck went down! He left this state in shambles. Now I knew what Bono was going up against, and all I could say was good luck. I am surprised that Bono got any money at all from the bastard. I was surprised! So consider yourselves lucky. Dubya is not for the people. He's only in it for big business and the rich. If it's not going to line his pocket somehow, he won't do it. I think Dubya is using Bono as a connection to get to the young voters. "Look at me! I'm the caring President!" Yeah, right!

TALK TO THE HAND MR. PRESIDENT! OR SHOULD I SAY TALK TO THE ELBOW BECAUSE YOU DON'T DESERVE THE FULL EXTENSION!!!

does anyone else realize that president bush could want to get that funding out there with all his heart, but that doesn't mean that the congress will approve it. i feel that president bush sincerely wants to help africa, bono even says that he believes the president is sincere. but it is the congress' job to approve funding, and they have the power to kill things like funding for africa.also, has in this forum acutally spoken to any iraqis to ask them if they prefer things before or after the war? has anyone taken the time to compare the number of children president bush as killed to the number saddam did? sounds to me like many people out there speak without really realizing what they're talking about, and make personal attacks on the wrong people for the wrong reasons. what do i think about a person who does this, i really have no comment for this kind of person.

Please don't try to assume what I do or don't know on this subject.. I look at reports and the numbers everyday in what I do and then I go to sleep at night with the thought of 7000 lives lost a day in Africa. So when people play poltical games with peoples lives.. ya I get mad, I get angry and I won't back off the root of the cause.

Don't also assume President Bush has no power over this issue, becasue he does, his influence on this is deep. I am fully aware of how the American political system works on paper.. but in reality many things come into play.. President Bush I am afriad has a history of not listening to people on this.. we could use Paul O'Neill as an example

Bono is a smart man, he knows people are always listening.. including George Bush.. he has away of saying what people want to hear to influence them, he needs the Bush administration his side on these issues, he keeps his emotions in check and puts his own feelings aside.. Of course he said he believe George Bush's intentions are true .. people were listening when they heard that they expected Bush to live up to it.

Why are you bringing IRAQ into this, ohh I realise Bush seems to like to grant debt relief to them , over Africa.. Then again what value does Africa hold for Bush if no oil.. Based on moral integrity what does that speak to, how about 10 years ago when the US and many other countries turned their back on Rwanda.. how about that..

Last edited:
Time for Bono to get out of Washington and go address this in a different manner, like on the new album and tour!

I haven't really looked at any of the candidates in depth yet, but does anyone know what some of them think about this issue?

sorry for the misunderstanding katey, the comments about iraq were not directed at you, but instead others who have posted in this thread, and indeed many around the world. however, i realize that this is another subject for another time.

now to address the issue of africa. i believe there is a common issue that we both agree on, that seeing "7000 lives lost a day in Africa" is extremely upsetting, and that something must be done about it. however, we disagree on who is to blame for the current apathy that seems to be plauging our world.

you feel that the current american president is the main reason that nothing is getting done. i feel that the problem is more deeply rooted than that. it goes to the very core of the american public. many groups are opposed to the idea of aid for africa, including those on the left. indeed i was told today by a college professor when i brought up this subject, that to go to Africa and try to help these people out would be to "fall back on old colonialist ideals. these people can take care of their own problems without america's interference." :sad: polititians in the us find themselves being handcuffed by the vast majority of their constituents that share these or similar views.

i would also argue that the problem is more deeply rooted than a-america, it is a worldwide apathy. i believe that canada, italy, france, germany, russia, england, and to my knowledge, every other country in the developed world have access to vast supply of medicine, including those that combat the effects of AIDs. they also have monetary supplies of their own. why then, are people in other countries more concerned with our president only getting 2.7 of the 3 billion he had hoped for, instead of pressuring the governments of their countries. before they pull the splinter out of bush's eye maybe they should get it out of their own.

as a side note: i also kind of see the democratic presidential candidacy eating away at the already shameful state of american politics. no one knows what their stands on important policies are. all the public gets (or wants) to hear is "...we just want to get bush out of the whitehouse." i want to know what they are going to do what they get there, not who they want to get out. of course they want to beat bush, that is the whole point of running against him. GIVE ME SOMETHING DEEPER!:banghead:

shrmn8rpoptart said:

has anyone taken the time to compare the number of children president bush as killed to the number saddam did?

does this mean that they're doing a struggle? who's gonna be the leader in killing more children? even if you'd kill one child you'd be the worst person in the world, don't you think? but anyway, i didn't mean to do political argue, maybe i was a little bit hard. but i tell you this, i give my money for researches against aids, i know it's very very little, but i do what i can, instead of waiting for some multibillionnaire politicians who are looking just after their selfish life

you feel that the current american president is the main reason that nothing is getting done. i feel that the problem is more deeply rooted than that. it goes to the very core of the american public. many groups are opposed to the idea of aid for africa, including those on the left. indeed i was told today by a college professor when i brought up this subject, that to go to Africa and try to help these people out would be to "fall back on old colonialist ideals. these people can take care of their own problems without america's interference." polititians in the us find themselves being handcuffed by the vast majority of their constituents that share these or similar views.

Yes there is a large problem of perception not only in the US but in Canada , France etc.. Believe me I hold other countries just as responsible.. I just don't believe President Bush ever really put all his efforts into this, his interest lie not with this. That is not to put all the blame on this man , as you have said that would not be fair and I do not. But he has his cross to bear on this and is not guiltless. Yes it goes to the very core of the American public, it is going to take a Multilateral effort which . Even organizations in America involved on this emergency have their own politics to play, that is why I much rather see more of the funding go towards the Global Fund.. Bush's own argument against this has been absortive capacity.. that is that Africa can't absorb all that money.. which has been proven wrong over and over again.

As for my own country Canada , Paul Martin and our Government have a chance to make ammendement to out Drug Patent Act which will basically allow generic drugs to get to Africa.. Although this if and when passed is a amazing thing, it is not enough , we also have to increase our perentage per GDP to .7%. Being A Canadian I hold my governmentt responsible to take these actions

Yes there is that ideal , they should look after themselves.. how very nice for the people that think this doesnt effect them as well.
This is a human rights issue, it's not charity.. Africans are not helpless .. simply they need our help .. There is still predjudice in this world and it disguises itself in many forms.. I don't know how you get around all of it.. But for the people that can do something .. they should.. For me it is a moral issue ,

The United States currently contributes the least amount per GDP of any Country, and has the capacity to contribute the most. That is a sad state..

i think bono should go to the UN and build a solid international coalition and a mandate from the security council before the united states should be made to give anything...

how much is schroder giving? how much is chirac giving? someone wanna give me those stats? or are you gonna just keep bashing bush for giving 2.7 billion... $300 million more than what congress allowed in the budget this past year... TRIPLING the amount that the beloved bill clinton gave to africa.

but it's still all bush's fault...

amazing to me. almost as amazing as watching the lone democratic candidate who could give a legit challenge to bush, joe lieberman, slide by the way side, chosing a man who's voting record is more to the left then ted kennedy's for pete's sake. :shrug: i don't get it... maybe i'm just nuts.

babyman, thank you for doing your your part to help the aids problem. this is exactly what i was referring to. if more people and indeed countries would actually go and do something about this problem, rather than sitting back and hoping that someone else will do it.
thank you, and all of the other people doing their part to make sure people get the help they need!

But the problem is that the US is giveing proportionately the least out of the Western nations and that's the sticking point. When they can do the most to alleviate the situation they are doing the least. And I agree that this is not on Bush alone, most of the US Congress deserve a stick of dynamite up their asses for being sucj apathetic assholes, and so do the legislatures everywhere in the West. The final problem is as has been said that people don't give a fuck. To whom much is given, much is expected, and this is going to be on our heads.

The White House's Director of National AIDS Policy has written to Congress at least three times since the President's Africa trip to try to stop Congress from providing full funding to critically-needed global AIDS programs Because of White House pressure, the Global Fund will likely cut its grant-making in half next year. Europe has now far outpaced the US in donations to this innovative and cost-effective funding mechanism.
The public outcry over Bush?s go-slow approach has led to a startling development on Capitol Hill. 89 Senators, including previous backers of the Bush position, voted for an 18% increase ($289 million) in AIDS funding, significantly above the President?s request. The startling defiance of the President by Senate Republicans, led by Senator DeWine (R-OH), dramatically showed how out of touch the President has become on the funding issue
.from the Global Aids Alliance http://www.globalaidsalliance.org

Equitable
Contribution
that has been
pledged thus
far (as a percentage of GDP)
Canada .42
France .47
Italy .60
USA .31
UK .40

There will be a meeting in London for "Fund the Fund", a meeting of NGO's and organizations to discuss current funding level to the Global Fund and what has to be done. .. The Global Fund is very much underfunded.. ever country needs to pick up their socks and increase their contribution or the Fund will have to decrease it's allocations in the next round..

DATA: www.datadata.org
Global Fund http://www.theglobalfund.org/en/

Last edited:
As background to my comments - I am an American whose political views tend to be almost libertarian most of the time (meaning, the less gov't involvement in most things, the better). So, most people would be surprised that I favor actively helping Africa. I am not a blind supporter of Bush by any means, either ? I disagree with an awful lot of his opinions. That said, even I believe that the US and other able countries need to step in and take a very active role in the AIDS situation in Africa. To that end, I not only give of my own money regularly to specific organizations that do that work, but have voiced my opinions to my politicians many times over the past year or so. (Sen DeWine, mentioned above, is actually my Senator and I've corresponded with him a couple times.) Point being - I believe, as it seems many other folks here do - that we have a moral responsibility to spend the money to do something; I am not a cold-hearted Republican, as that stereotype seems to go.

Nonetheless - I get a little tired of the Bush-bashing and America-bashing that goes on here (and frankly other U2 sites. It?s a bit tough sometimes to a U2 fan that?s not a political liberal! J). Certainly everyone's entitled to their opinion, don't get me wrong. But, it seems to me there are a couple of things to think about - I?m not a huge expert on all this, but just wanted to share a few thoughts from a different perspective. Hope my comments are taken in that spirit!

- while the way the money is being split may not be perfect (and I agree, it's not), the US is now spending far far more on this problem under Bush than it did under Clinton, whom so many people on the U2 boards seem to love
- no, this issue is probably not at the very top of Bush?s agenda. Yes, it would be nice if it were, but you know what ? his first priority is to serve and protect Americans. We may not all agree on how he does that, but that is his first job, not saving Africa, as cold as that may sound. I?m pretty sure saving Africa is not #1 on the list for Blair, Martin, Chirac, etc either.
- unfortunately, I don?t see the American public clamoring for this funding, nor do I see voters in other countries (Canada, Western Europe) making a huge issue out of it either. Sad, but true. On the positive side, I have personally seen the impact Bono?s Heart of America trip started to make. He came to Cincinnati, Ohio (where I live) as part of that ? and ever since then there are regular articles in the paper, editorials, and letters from the public about it and his efforts. It hasn?t been forgotten. That says to me that awareness and real understanding is part of the problem.
- Yes, it?s true that proportionately the US gives less. I don?t like that either. But I would ask folks to also remember what the US has done for other countries in other capacities ? WWII, peace-keeping, etc. When other places run into trouble in all sorts of other ways ? we are who they turn to.
- I believe over the last few months I?ve read that Japan has kicked up its funding for Africa, but the same is not true for some other countries in Europe. The US, on the other hand, has (perhaps imperfectly) increased its funding dramatically.
- Finally - Can we please stop reliving the past? Yes, the US (and other countries) did some unsavory things in Africa during the Cold War. However, it wasn?t the US that colonized Africa in the first place, from what I know. So, Europe is not without blame for some of Africa?s problems. Seems to me in order to address the current issues, we ALL need to start fresh. I recall Bono saying something one time about how the entire relationship between Africa and ?the West? was just really screwed up ? and it?s time for us all to try again.

First off I will say over again as I have on different occasions that I respect president Bush for the job he has to do. that doesnt mean I don't disagree with many of his decisions nor that my ideas are right.. but I will hold politicians accountable if that comes across as bashing perhaps some of us need thicker skin.. If it is duty for country over everything else I can respect that .. but dont make excuses and make up false pretense to justify that as I feel polticians sometimes do by using the absortive capacity argument . As the leader of US of course Bush looks after the US first as Martin does in Canada and so on and so forth. But there is a reason we have the United Nations and International organizations so that we can see the broader concerns past our boarders as they two effect our own countries and nations and our futures. When Colin Powell suggests the war on terror is bound up in the war on aids.. I would consider him a credible source.
I don't support any poltical particular party in the US , I am for whoever exemplifies my values and beleifs and that is a personal chose.Whether or not I like George W. Bush doesnt really matter , at the end of the day if the US is doing what it should on these issues then I don't particularly care what my personal feelings are about the man. I never supported Bill Clinton andhis admnistration in anyway but I do like what he is doing now working on gaining access to generic drugs

Like I said also it is wonderful to see President Bush doing something, ya I am happy for that , and I am thankful.. But just as so many other countries it is not enough. Paul Martin .. not doing enough and so on and so forth.. But this article was not about Canada or any other country so I tried not to drift off to those issues.

My bottom line is I would have hoped to see more money directed to the Global Fund instead of it being directed to U.S agencies. If you understand the Fund and how it works, the money I believe has a better chance of directly helping those in Africa then deleivering it through US based programs.

When you are the most powerful country in the world people turn to you and look to you for assistance . The US is not the only country who has a history of coming to peoples aid through war and peacekeeping etc..

And yes the relationship between the west and Africa is severely screwed up, from perception to action . Like I said predjuidce hides itself in many forms.

I think I also mentioned how it will take a multilateral efforts.. that means the public as well, that means eduacting and informing the public because although it has gotten better through the help of organizations like DATA and people like Stephin Lewis, Oprah and Bono there just isnt the public crying out on this issue like they should and I hope that changes.. I hope alot changes because if it doesnt what will be the history we look back on years from now..

I will never not find it baffling that the U.S is the best position economically percentage wise to give funding and still they give less then most. If you wonder why the focus is by so many on what the US does thats why..

Not all of us are going to agree on this and i know my ideas and thoughts probably are far from being right and maybe without intentention sometimes offend..

U2 grace I wanna thank you for helping me to understand your opinions and I wanna thank you for carrying and doing what you can on this.. glad there are people like you !!

Last edited:
Thanks Katey for your comments. I think we're largely in agreement. I just wish everyone who gets in on these conversations (here and elsewhere) could do so in a way that is more thought out and doesn't have to resort to name-calling and stereotyping. Thanks again!

yes I hear you on that.. sometimes it's hard to keep emotions in check other times with people well it's something different altogether ( I won't open that can of worms)
Cheers

shrmn8rpoptart said:
babyman, thank you for doing your your part to help the aids problem. this is exactly what i was referring to. if more people and indeed countries would actually go and do something about this problem, rather than sitting back and hoping that someone else will do it.
thank you, and all of the other people doing their part to make sure people get the help they need!

you know, shrmn, i'm real sick to see so many children dying without faults, without living their lives, with no hopes and no dreams. and when i see so many politicians, especially in my country, so stinking rich, making so many promises, deceiving so many hearts, and ourselves as much, now, that's what makes me much more sad and angry. you're right, everyone of us should try to do his best, i'm completely agree with you! you know, i'm not rich, but i feel so much as a very lucky guy, i got my family, my friends, i eat and drink everyday, and that's my main reason to do something...even a dollar, even just a cent...i can't stay there just watching the flies flying through the air, i wouldn't sleep at night. i'm happy that we've cleared, shrmn, so take care and see you in next threads! :wave: :yes:

Bush with this Africa issue is just another reason why we have to try our hardest to get him out the White house in 2004. Look at his resume during his term, its horrific, he shouldnt be able to get a job at McDonalds after what hes done in office.

Back
Top Bottom