(01-22-2004) Bono Promises Not to Swear Again at Golden Globes -- Reuters *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20040122/mdf454071.jpg[/SIMG]
Bono Promises Not to Swear Again at Golden Globes

By Dean Goodman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The U.S. government can relax. Irish rock star Bono promises he will not swear again on live television if he wins a Golden Globe Award on Sunday.

At last year's ceremony, the U2 frontman exclaimed, "F***ing brilliant!" when accepting his award, an outburst that has prompted U.S. lawmakers to crack down on the use of foul language on air.

"I swear I won't swear," the U2 frontman told Reuters on Thursday in an interview at his West Hollywood hotel. "You can always cause a stir with an expletive and it's not something that I'm conscious of. If you use them in your everyday speech, sometimes they will come out. I don't mean to offend anyone."

Staffers at the Federal Communications Commission originally ruled in October that Bono did not violate the agency's indecency rules since he used the word as an adjective. That sparked calls for the FCC commissioners to overturn the decision, and a bipartisan group of lawmakers on Wednesday introduced legislation to raise fines for incidents of foul language used on air to as much as $3 million. The current fine is $27,500.

Bono, along with Dublin pals Gavin Friday and Maurice Seezer, is nominated in the best original song category for "Time Enough for Tears." The tune, sung by Andrea Corr of the Corrs, appears in writer/director Jim Sheridan's Irish immigrant saga "In America." Sheridan and his daughters, Naomi and Kirsten, are also in the running for best screenplay.

U2 won the Golden Globe last year for a song the band wrote for the Martin Scorsese movie "Gangs of New York."

BONO THE UNDERDOG

"In America" is competing with some heavy hitters. The other song nominees are Elton John and longtime lyricist Bernie Taupin ("Mona Lisa Smile"), composer Howard Shore, film producer Fran Walsh and former Eurythmics singer Annie Lennox ("The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"), Pearl Jam vocalist Eddie Vedder ("Big Fish") and pop veteran Sting ("Cold Mountain").

Even though Bono belongs to one of the biggest bands in the world, he considered the song an underdog at the Globes since the low-budget "In America" does not enjoy the same recognition factor as a blockbuster like "The Lord of the Rings."

"The behemoth of U2 is a handy monster to tie your song to because it gets it out there," he said of his efforts to drum up publicity for the film.

Bono wrote the lyrics for "Time Enough for Tears," while Friday and Seezer handled the lyrics and the film's score. He said he barely recalled the songwriting process as he had a cold the day he phoned his collaborators and dictated some lyrics to them. The recording process was similarly low-tech. Corr recorded the song in one take in the studio bathroom.

Bono and Andrea Corr Jan. 22 at the American Film Institute luncheon (photo by Reuters)
r1532571392.jpg

(photo by Associated Press)
capt.ksd10801222212.afi_awards_ksd108.jpg

(photo by Associated Press)
capt.ksd10801222203.afi_awards_ksd108.jpg

If Bono wins he should go up on stage and announce "Fuck yeah! I fucking won another fucking award! The new fucking U2 album will be out in fucking March and it will be called "Fuck You, You Motherfucking Fucker". Now the rest of my fucking bandmates will join me on fucking stage and we're gonna play a few fucking songs. We're gonna play a full fucking concert set; along with a fucking new song off our fucking new album. It;ll be fucking brilliant; it'll be like we're banging the fucking dustbin primary colours on fucking Venus while Edge gets fucking angry with a fucking monster. So here they are, fucking U2! For fuck's sakes!"

:up:

So if Bono uses the expletive in his personal life A LOT...it begs the question:

Does he use it MORE as an adjective OR as 'describing an action'.

I would prefer the latter...:wink:

Leeloo said:
He had to pay?? :huh: Who got the money? How lame!

No he didn't have to pay because the FCC ruled he didn't violate the law. There are people who want to overturn that ruling, which if overturned could result in the fine that they are referring to.

ramblin rose said:

No he didn't have to pay because the FCC ruled he didn't violate the law. There are people who want to overturn that ruling, which if overturned could result in the fine that they are referring to.

Yes. But if the FCC did decide to overturn the ruling, I believe NBC, not Bono, would get the fine because they decided to let the word on air.

Dave C, that was the funiest post I've ever seen on this site, that was great....i'm new here by the way, so hi everyone, ive been reading the articles for awhile but never posted.

I can't believe the media is blowing this so out of proportion, but thats what they do. I thought his speech was great, hes a rock star.

Re: Re: (01-22-2004) Bono Promises Not to Swear Again at Golden Globes -- Reuters *

icelle said:
ok for some reason that made me laugh:lmao:

:yes:...same here. Hehehe.

LOL at DaveC's post, too. Seriously, this big deal over his using the word is insane. If he does wind up swearing again at the show, or comments on the big hoopla over it, I'm gonna laugh my butt off. It'd serve those uptight people right. Sorry, but there's many other more important things in this world I'd see as worthy of getting all up in arms about. He shouldn't have to apologize, he didn't do anything wrong. It's not his fault some people got all offended over the word-that was never his intention.

Hehe, speaking of this whole ordeal, by the way, my dad told me today that he wrote a few strongly worded letters to three people-can't remember who right now, though, commenting on the big deal over Bono's swearing and defending Bono.

My dad rules. :D.

Angela

Last edited:
I must say.....

Dave C, that little diddy made my fucking night...that is some funny shit....made even funnier if U start picturing him doing it....I would fall off the couch laughing! Now I'm HOPING he DOES do it, and then throws cash to pay 4 the stupid fine on the stage!

LOL, well Bono hairline isnt as bad as Edge's. Poor Edge, his started goin' along time ago...hehe, oh well he is so adaorable anyway:drool:
But maybe he should try rogain:laugh:

You people are awful. What's wrong with his freakin hairline? I don't see any baldness, sheesh! I think they meant shave his FACE, his stubbly face! Good Lord not his head, you think he looks old now, I hate to think! But I think Bono looks hot just like he is except I don't like the shades. They are too dark and you can't see his eyes.

Green light, im with u on the shades, eyes are the main part of the guy. But still, Edge's hairline is goin away, but thats what the thing is for that he wears whatever it is called.
:dance:

uh oh... newbies are talkin' about the biggest interference no-no of them all... bono's ever disapearing hair-line...

be careful, my friends... we've all attempted to speak about it before... we've all had our asses kicked many a time... step with care...

and joan rivers just reminded me of another reason why bono might have slipped the ole' F word last year... open bar :wink:

Back
Top Bottom