(01-14-2004) Exclusive: Don't Believe the U2 Album Hype! -- Interference.com *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Exclusive: Don't Believe the U2 Album Hype!

Interference.com has just received the following message from Regine Moylett of RMP London, U2's PR agency, in response to the various rumors about the title, tracklisting, release date and so forth of U2's next album:

"There are no announcements planned for the immediate future."

UPDATE FROM PRINCIPLE MANAGEMENT JAN. 15, 2004

As further confirmation that the album will not released in March, and that a single is not due in the immediate future, we got an email from Principle Management's Cecilia Coffey:

Interference.com wrote:
Hi Cecilia,

I've heard there will be a new U2 single within the next two weeks, and a new album released in March.

Any truth to either?

Joel

Cecilia Coffey replied:
Not true..............

Interference.com has received no further official conformation about any of the details surrounding U2's next album, which could arrive as late as winter, but stay tuned for more updates.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
so much for keeping the momentum going... unless this is just the marketing company blowin' smoke up our collective asses, which is always quite possiable, it looks like a boring summer...

Who knows... honestly.... I don't know who or what to believe.

Spoke to someone at KROQ in Los Angeles, a station that is always early to have info/releases for U2.... and they have NO date on a single or album release at all.

i'm done guessing too.

i'm starting to wonder if we'll have another Radiohead album before U2 releases theirs.

I can't believe it! This must either be a mistake or a marketing ploy. Bono was quoted very recently as saying he's getting in shape for a tour beginning in the fall, which would point to a spring/summer release. And why is the band already having photos taken for the album if it isn't going to be released for another year yet?

Last edited:
Perhaps the mastering isnt going well...i personally think it's someone who's getting fed up with phone calls and e-mails asking about the album and just threw out winter just to shut us up

I hope U2 dont end up like guns n roses as there fans have been about SEVEN years for a new album.But it is no doubt that this announcement is a kick in the teeth.

GnR isn't that bad. Pink Floyd fans have been waiting a full 10 years (the last was The Division Bell in 1994) for a new album. We've basically all but given up hope that there will be anything, even though they claim to have been working on it since the last release.

I really desperately hope that this is them just trying to throw us off, if it isn't and we really do have to wait till next winter U2 may find themselves losing a LOT of fans...including (and it pains me to say this) myself. :(

i think it's too early to speculate...this is the first word we've heard about a winter release (though from a pretty strong source) but there have been a dozen or so reports within the past few months saying a spring release, many of which have been verified by the band. This announcement simply doesnt fit with what's been reported to date. If anything, it might be more of a summer release than anything. I doubt winter. Who's up for a raid of Hanover Quay studios?

I will always remember where I was the day I heard the new album was not coming out til next winter.....son of a bitch......SHIT

:hmm: I suppose it?s totally coherent, now I have in mind, that in January 1997, we had "Discotheque"...in January 2001, the singles from ATYCLB...other thing, this is the year of 25th birth of U2-3, which was released at the final of the 1979...and I believe in all Regina?s of this world :| THANK YOU VERY MUCH INTERFERENCE AND INTERFERENCERS, FOR THIS ONE TRUE NEW!

U2 are digging their own career grave by taking 5 years to make 12 songs. They lost all momentum from the 2001 tour, dropped well off the radar, and are putting WAY TOO MUCH time into 12 songs. This album will sell maybe 1 million U.S., that's it. Then they'll "break-up." Maybe they're already breaking up, an we'll never see the follow-up to ATYCLB.

Bono's shades said:
I can't believe it! This must either be a mistake or a marketing ploy. Bono was quoted very recently as saying he's getting in shape for a tour beginning in the fall, which would point to a spring/summer release. And why is the band already having photos taken for the album if it isn't going to be released for another year yet?

Let me just say, a quote from Bono isn't worth a dog's dick! Stupid PR bitch had to fuck up my day. It was shitty enough anyway, and now I get this fucking news. God dammit to hell!!!!! What in the hell am I supposed to listen to this year? Looks like this year will be as interesting for U2 fans as 2003 was. I know everyone says "there's other bands". There are, sure, but none of them do what U2 do for me. I want to hear new music from my favorite band, and see my favorite band live. I'm so fucking sick of them dicking us around. First Fall of 2002, then fall of 2003, then spring of 2004, and now winter of 2004, or maybe even early 2005!!!! I'm sure it has to do with the fact that they didn't have Eno or Lanois in the studio, and that Bono is running around trying to save the world. I'm just tired of the bullshit that U2 fans have to go through. Anticipating an album is fine..... but anticipating an album for two years sucks my ass.

hey, let's stay calm and watch @u2, where there's a totally different message (www.atu2.com). According to Jam, the album would be released on March 9th. 2004!

Peter said:
hey, let's stay calm and watch @u2, where there's a totally different message (www.atu2.com). According to Jam, the album would be released on March 9th. 2004!

That comes w/ a disclaimer that says it's BS. NO NEW U2 ALBUM! WAIT ANOTHER YEAR OR TWO!

I don't know, but I think we all shouldn't be that pessimistic... You never know. They know best what they're doing and I'm sure that U2 will make the right decision.

Peter said:
I don't know, but I think we all shouldn't be that pessimistic... You never know. They know best what they're doing and I'm sure that U2 will make the right decision.

But there come a point where it just takes TOO LONG. 5 years to make an album is disgusting. This is certainly having a effect on how I view the band, and they're droppong in rank by the day.

Calm down...when I first read this I thought of all the tracklisting threads from this forum back in 2003. Maybe it's my rose-colored view of the world, but I believe we'll have the new album to listen to this spring/summer and a tour in the fall!

Or I guess I just believe in Bono!

Yes people, try to stay calm. :|

Bono was not the only one, Adam also told a fan in person that the album was cooked. Now I take that to mean done or at least his part was done. So even if they still have to do lyrics and mastering it couldn't possibly take that long.
As far as I know none of the band members have been in the studio lately, so their work there must be done.

I have no earthly idea why Regina would say next winter. :shrug:

Bono also said he wanted U2 to be on tour during elections here in the states. So unless something unexpected and drastic came up and threw all plans out the window, I am still hoping/thinking that we'll get an album and tour sooner rather than later. :yes:

*edit for spelling

Last edited:
Honestly, when you think about it who is this person and why is everyone so quick to think she the know all and be all of U2 info. Just because she works for the PR firm doesn's mean she has the inside scoop. PR firms leak info so not everyone is told. So she probably doesn't know anything more than we do and is just speculating on what she's being told. No reason to freak out, yet. I did see this in a newsletter I get from Adventures In Rock.com
COMING SOON...
U2--Tour Opener and European dates
Summer / Fall 2004 (tba)
Don't know if it means anything except they do get advance notice of tour dates.

Back
Top Bottom