(01-14-2004) Exclusive: Don't Believe the U2 Album Hype! -- Interference.com *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is bull crap. Don't U2 know they have a job to do here? I wake up every morning and put in my 8 to 10 hours at work and I expect other people to do the same. It's what makes the world go around.

You don't see me taking time off of work, cruising around the world going to award shows, hanging out with famous people, saving small African nations from poverty and disease, harrassing politicians ,and going to CES.

No, I wake up every morning, kiss my wife and kids goodbye and I go get the job done. I expect nothing less from U2.

Finish the album!

they're calling eno&lanois back :)....this is not an unsusul delay 4 u2, remember the distance between Pop (spring 97) and ATYCLB (fall 2000)...
maybe he lost the lyrics and he's having a hard time making up new ones...;)...
maybe they decided that this time they actually have to learn how to play those instruments...

i can't believe that all of you are convinced that it is going to be released in winter '04. You all jump on what one lady says, to top it off, the next day, that lady's boss said that no announcements in the "immediate" future. The album still has a great chance of being out in or before May.

Plus, where did all of you hear that u2 are bringing in new produces??? and where did yo uhear that they are reworking tracks???

the album is coming out in the spring.

lew07 said:
i can't believe that all of you are convinced that it is going to be released in winter '04. You all jump on what one lady says, to top it off, the next day, that lady's boss said that no announcements in the "immediate" future. The album still has a great chance of being out in or before May.

Plus, where did all of you hear that u2 are bringing in new produces??? and where did yo uhear that they are reworking tracks???

the album is coming out in the spring.

The lady that made the original statement IS the boss, she's also the one that asked her statement be changed after the fact.

Elvis said:

The lady that made the original statement IS the boss, she's also the one that asked her statement be changed after the fact.

Knowing how a PR firm works, this fact is HUGE. She's very careful to confirm/deney w/o giving anything away! Maybe it will be May.

Well I can certainly see there is a lot of passion on this forum. Some which I haven't seen before. Don't get me wrong when I first read this I was quite unnerved, but I'm fine now *munches on Prozac* Really! :combust:

So yes we may or may not have to wait. I reckon its another lesson in don't listen to people til the album is in your hands. And personally if not many people enjoy it that's not so bad either, more concert tickets for me. :wink:

Oh and I'm happy to know that U2 has such a passionate fan base. They deserve it!

Well I might as well throw in my opinion. After reading through this entire topic I've had time to calm down from my original WTF reaction. Revising the statement makes a big difference, the key thing being as late as next winter. They're just denying anything so all this says is that we don't know anything. SO this makes a March release unlikely. Disappointing yes but this is not a definitive statement of a winter release.

However there is some reason to be concerned over the time gap

1980 Boy
1981 October
1983 War
1984 UF

Now as they toured into 1985 gand iven that basically they had been going all out for five years with only a few breaks, a gap was to be expected, and a rest deserved. Besides young bands always produce albums at a higher rate.

1987 JT
1988 R&H

They toured right until New Year's 1989-90 and after going full throttle for three years and there was media backlash. Again they had a rest coming.

late 1991 AB
early 1993 Zooropa

Two whirlwind years of touring, most of the band had families and the Zoo tours were very exhausting as they were a totaly new thing. But in this gap we got Passengers in 1995, which while not a U2 album was pretty nifty so the gap to

1997 Pop

wasn't so bad especially considering the band only took two years in between the huge JT/RH, AB/Zoo eras. They deserved a couple years to catch a breather.

Things get a little dicy with

2000 ATYCLB

but not too bad as the POPmart tour was a huge one and it finished in 1998 and the boys were getting older and Bono had the Jubilee effort. We did get the first Best of in there and as a newer fan the B-Side's disc was great as unless I get lucky I will never find any of those on my own. But it bordered on the outer limits of things. I personally found ATYCLB a disappointment and for me that's making this wait all the longer as POP was the last U2 I really loved. But there was a sense of continuity between POP and ATYCLB even if it was a little thin. And we did have Million Dollar Hotel to whet our appetites.

This time around there's been even less. I personally found the second Best of a bit weak especially in the B-Sides disc which was mostly remixes. We had Hands but that was quite a while ago now and I have yet to hear American Prayer anywhere, I wouldn't even know about it if it weren't for this board. There's been little to no continuity.

Also there can be no saying oh we don't want them to rush it and get another POP. POP was produced in 15 months going by the timeline on U2.com. U2 have been working on this album since late 2001 as I understand it, so at best we're looking at 24 months of effort (broken up somewhat by Bono's efforts for DATA) with no visible outcome. U2 have never taken so long to work on an album. JT 7 months, AB 12 months to put out from start to finish (again check the timeline at U2.com) Pop 15 months, ATYCLB 22 months (I leave out R&H and Zooropa as those were tour produced albums whose production times aren't representative). U2 has been taking longer and longer to produce albums and in my opinion this isn't a good sign. 24 months with nothing pressed is bad news folks. If they take until say December that will be 35 months, say 30 or 29 if you drop out Bono's time away. That is an absolutely pathetic ammount of time to produce 12 songs. Sorry but it is. While increasing production times are to be expected as a group grows older and more exacting, things are getting ridiculous. Seriously if this isn't their last album I'll be surprised given these continually increasing production times.

Unless we get a killer album I will be tempted to say U2's past it. If we do and I sincerely hope we get a killer album say in May or June I'll be happy, but all this time with no word and no hint of anything other than Bono's usual hype, the band hasn't been all that kind to the fans.

Last edited:
cseggleton said:
Have we all not gotten as much out of one band as possible. I mean we have all been spoiled rotten over the years by what these guys have put out. We put up with the supposed album delays because we know we are going to get something special in the end. Can anyone name another band out there that with every album they put out at least 6 or 7 songs are absolutely amazing. If so how many have 10+ albums released? Like Bono said a few years back "Being in U2 is like being in a gang" U2 has evolved in to much more than the band themselves. We (the fans) are the gang. That being said since I am in the U2 gang I support whatever these guys want to do. Never put out another album and I will appreciate what your songs have meant to me. We have given U2 a great life and in return they have given us great songs. By the way thanks Heather D. for turning me on to U2 in the 9th grade. It seems like yesterday I heard TUF for the first time. To end this rambling post....be thankful for what we've got because these guys are not going to be around forever to give us our fix and when its gone it's gone and I for one don't want to come down from this 20 something year high

Elvis said:
It's been determined that this is a band named 'Ours'. Its not U2.

yeah, I caught their show last month in NYC.

I know some guys that know them....it's like u2 meets radiohead with a huge slice of jeff buckley and marilyn manson.

not for me.

wolfeden said:
Ya know....

If they tossed the entire lot and told us "we're starting over, sorry"

If it never even came out, if the Best Ofs, "The Hands That Built America" and "Electrical Storm" were the last we ever heard from them as U2... they decide to not release an album that could, in their opinion, be evidence that they should stop on a high note rather than end with tails tucked after a mediocre album, to decide to go off and live their lives as four men with families and hobbies and occasionally get together to do something creative when the mood strikes... maybe Edge will get into tinkering with the new technologies that become possible by the day (as he was recently seen at the CES conference)... maybe Larry will go ride his Harley across Europe, maybe Adam can open a nightclub (lol), and as for Mr. Hewson well we all know where he'll be, right in the faces of the politicians....

I will love and respect them no less than I do now.
They may well have missed their children's first steps, first words, the 3rd grade pageants and the times when they woke up crying in the night for "Dada, Dada..." or come home after a long tour and feel like a loose cog, lost in the patterns their families moved in while they were gone. "Kite" even came about from a bout of guilt, never being home to take the kids out to the beach... and even when he tried, it fell through.... the kite landing with a wet thud in the sand while the kids asked to go back to the house and play videogames....

I don't even know where I'm going with this. I think I'm just trying to say that I can't be angry with them for taking whatever time they need, or stopping forever if that's what they feel is best.

It will break my heart the day they do "stop being U2", whenever and however that comes about, I won't lie. But it's not their responsibility to take that burden onto their lives, does that make sense?
Some of us have been fans since the beginning and some only since last week -- there's equal frustration while rumors and hoaxes and cryptic statements from Management fly amongst us.

Sit back..... go listen to the Salom? outtakes or something, listen to the processes they went through to get Achtung Baby out... and realise that those same things are going on now even as we get frustrated at having our hopes raised and dashed.

They have given me so much. The least I can give them back is time.

:yes: :up:.

Originally posted by BostonAnne
They all have personal lives to attend to and it doesn't always mean that Bono is the only busy one. I hate the attitude that the album is delayed soley because Bono is busy "saving the world".

So do I. Never mind the fact the band as a whole, or at least Bono and Edge, have been to a bunch of awards shows, and all of them have been spotted at various events friends were holding-weddings, vacations, seeing various artists perform somewhere themselves, and Edge accompanied Bono on the "46664" event last November. It's not just Bono who's been running around doing stuff these last few years.

Originally posted by Mango
This is bull crap. Don't U2 know they have a job to do here? I wake up every morning and put in my 8 to 10 hours at work and I expect other people to do the same. It's what makes the world go around.

Your job's a little different from U2's. Depending on the job you have, you're much more likely to see your wife and kids quite often than U2 is, so when they take time off to spend with their families, it makes a lot more sense, because they've been away from their kids much longer than you most likely have. And your job doesn't involve making albums, which is not a very easy process. Just to name a couple of things.

Angela

Hmm...all this news bit really means is no single NOW (obviously we'd be hearing something if it was out this month by now) and no album in March. Also, no announcements in "immediate future" sounds a bit vague - is immediate future this month, February..?

U2 since Rattle and Hum takes a long time to make albums - that's just the way it is. And the wait is worth the waiting in most cases IMO.

No one has officially said anything about a winter release AFAIK. I believed Anton Corbijn when he said it's out in May, I believed Bono when he said he'd like to go on tour in the fall, and I believed Joe O Herlihy when he suggested May or September 2004 for start of the tour - if the album gets shifted, I belived Adam when he said the album is "cooked" and I believed Paul McGuiness when he said the album could have been finished by Christmas (recording songs, not the mastering and mixing).

A tour in the fall can still mean a late Spring/Summer album release.

last i had heard was a release between april and november this year, then a tour.

but that could just be speculation

Blacksword,

I give the "production times thing" little significance because its not really possible to tell when work on an album begins. The band often write material that shows up on albums several years later.

When the band completed ATYCLB, they had witten over 100 complete songs! In September of 2000 prior to the release of ATYCLB, the plan was to release the album, do a 5 month tour for it and then go back into the studio in the fall of 2001 in order to have a new album out in 2002. This "next album" would be a number of great songs written for ATYCLB but were not included because they did not fit the sound of that album.

Well, that was the thinking in September 2000 by them.

Looking at actual release dates for "Studio albums with brand new material", the band has never taken longer than 3 years and 8 months precisely between release dates. This is a fact, while the amount of time spent writing and producing the album in between these times is open to debate.

If the band release this new album before the end of June this year, they will be keeping to the tradition of not waiting longer than 3 years and 8 months to put an album out which was started after ZOOROPA. ZOOROPA to POP and POP to ATYCLB each took precisely 3 years and 8 months.

If they do not release this new album until the fall of this year or after, then were definitely going into new territory as far as the lenth of time it takes them. But as of right now, they have not crossed that line yet.

As mentioned before, at least we had new material from "Passengers" and "Million Dollar Hotel" as well as "Hold Me, Thrill Me.." and "Sweetest Thing" to keep us diehards occupied between the previous two albums. In the last three years.. two new songs.

It sucks waiting so long.. but it certainly doesn't suddenly make me dislike U2 or their music.

My local Hastings has a "Pre-Order the new U2 album" sign up by the cash register. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom