(01-14-2004) Exclusive: Don't Believe the U2 Album Hype! -- Interference.com *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
drumkeeran said:
From a Prozac Queen:

Maybe it's my impending maturity, but so what if it takes U2 3 to 4 years between albums. Typically, their music is worth waiting for.

Almost immediately after they finished their 2001 Tour, they went back into the studio to do what musicians/artists do...come up with something new. We got The Hands that Built America, Electrical Storm, American Prayer. We're expecting some very strong songs from the new album. The band has taught us to expect their best. However, the four have balanced lives, they have other interests not unlike most of us that keep their lives full. Bono spends a great deal of time with his other interests. That's for him to decide, and I, frankly, admire him immensely.

Musicians do not owe fans a timeline. If you want to find some different music to listen to go ahead. If you get tired of "waiting" and find a new band to be passionate about, it's your decision. But, be aware that some of you are starting to sound like spoiled children demanding "I WANT..." Wah, wah, wah...I don't think any of you are two years old.

Music from this band is worth the wait. In my opinion, Bono doesn't want his Africa/AIDS/DATA initiatives to compete with his other job, BUT in his mind, the millions of lives at stake are worth it.

BTW, I don't really take Prozac, but my friends think I'm pretty calm and know I'm passionate about U2 and Bono. I'm betting we have an album before the summer begins. It's like those tours that are never going to be announced.

:applaud:. Same with u2grace's comment, and spencr00's.

Okay, so it's not coming out in March. Like stated, that doesn't automatically mean it'll be coming out in the winter.

And if it does...:shrug:. Bummer waiting longer, but...drumkeeran and u2grace have explained everything perfectly in response to waiting longer.

Angela

I don't believe the rumours at all...I think we will see the record out in May/June. They have stated quite clearly that it's wrapped, so why leave it on the shelf for a year? Have we forgotten the fairly certain suggestion that they will be playing Phoenix Park this year? There is no way it will be out in March, but spring is a possibility.

Yes it's annoying that there is a delay, but as someone else has said, they're all in their 40's with families, and a hugely successful career. They are just not going to bang out a record every year now.

i have just visited german site www.cdstarts.de and there's written that album will be out on April the 5th. I don't know if any of this is true but it sounds much better than next winter.

Elvis said:
as opposed to being?

Speculation. Anticipation.

A whole bunch of blah's.

Nothing can be read from any of this.

This is the problem with 'leaks' and pre-emptive news. No one will still know anything for sure until a final and definite word is given.

All this debate and no one has a clue really.

i dont belive this either....
i could be wrong, but did bono say that the first single should be out in first week of febuary??

well with December 04 release...and a single out in Febuary....that doesnt add up....

new album will be our in March, April, May or June ;)

Anyone notice that the original quote has changed to "There are no announcements planned for the immediate future." with no mention of next Winter.

Elvis - did they requalify their original statement or send additional information with the change.

This makes it seem a lot more close, I'm guessing May bc "immediate future" means within the next month so we could have a new single in March, possible tidbits from u2.com as early as next month or March.

This is more optimistic, but I'll still be here either way!!

Any clarification or information anyone has about the change to the original statement would be great!!!!

I wish someone from the U2 camp would at least reassure us that even though no immediate announcement is planned that there won't necessarily be a delay until next winter. I can handle waiting until late spring/early summer, especially if a single is going to be released a month or so ahead of the album - but a whole year away scares me - not just because of the wait, but because it seems to signal that something has gone horribly wrong. I can't think of a reason why they would delay it so long when they were supposedly done or almost done, unless they are scrapping the whole thing and starting over, not just re-doing a few songs.

If the problems really are that serious, I think we had all better start hoping another song like "One" descends from the heavens and rejuvenates the band.

zoocarolina said:
Anyone notice that the original quote has changed to "There are no announcements planned for the immediate future." with no mention of next Winter.

Elvis - did they requalify their original statement or send additional information with the change.

This makes it seem a lot more close, I'm guessing May bc "immediate future" means within the next month so we could have a new single in March, possible tidbits from u2.com as early as next month or March.

This is more optimistic, but I'll still be here either way!!

Any clarification or information anyone has about the change to the original statement would be great!!!!

'next winter' seems to be information that was not intended to be known by the 'general public', or perhaps at all.

A more vague statement was issued, and we kindly replaced the original.

Replacing a statement however does not erase what was originally said.... does it?

My guess.....

Something has changed in the course of the albums release, and perhaps very recently. We havent heard much about the original producer.... have we?

Is the name 'Solar' really the name? or has it just been assumed by various outlets from the earlier rumor?

I remember when POP was said to be done.... we waited... and waited... and waited..... and eventually.. when it was 'done'.... it was actualluy rushed because of a deadline that was set.

Even if venues have been booked, a band as large as U2 can change their plans.... my bet is that this album will be released when, and only when, U2 is REALLY happy with it.

It could be spring, it could be summer, fall, or... even winter.

I won't be suprised if it's the later half of the year.

Changing producers this late in the game usually means complete re-recording. If they're using a new producer in place of Chris Thomas, it could also mean re-doing all pre-production(ie:rewrite and arrange songs.) Everyone thinks this is minor, but if U2 have to "start again" it could be years before they're done. I pray for May, but if they've switched producers in the past month, we'd be LUCKY to see an album by Winter '04.

Re: Re: BAFFLING!

Moonlit_Angel said:

No kidding. I mean, look at the long period of time between Zooropa and Pop. Pretty close to 5 years. And Zooropa was a spur of the moment idea, from what I've understood. So if that album hadn't been made, and they'd gone from Achtung Baby to Pop, it would've been a much longer wait.

Besides, I really don't understand something here: some people complain that one reason why they didn't like Pop is because they wished U2 had fully finished it, that they would've taken their time with the songs on there.

Well, now U2 have been taking time with their songs, and people are lambasting them for that. So what is it people want-the album now with some errors and some songs the band and some fans aren't too thrilled with, or the album with excellent songs, even though it took a little while to get them right? They just can't win either way.

Keep in mind, people, making a record isn't easy-not everyone can do it fast, especially since this is U2 and they get inspired by so many things, keep experimenting with many different ideas. And never mind the fact that they have families and all had other commitments within recent years, too.

Anyway, sue4u2, spencr00, EPandAmerica, and so on-I couldn't agree with you guys more. :up:. If it does wind up being winter when the album comes out, then so be it-it sucks having to continue to wait, but I can manage, I can live with it. I'd much rather U2 feel completely comfortable with every song on there, and feel that everything's the way they want it to be, than to have it come out and have some more people yell at them because it didn't seem totally finished or whatever.

Patience, people, patience.

Angela

I agree that we need to be patient- U2 albums take a long time to make and have always been worth waiting for. And honestly, after four years of waiting for this one, I'm not holding my breath anymore. But I think the delay, at this point, has a lot more to do with Bono's political commitments and him not spending time in the studio than with U2 spending countless hours in the studio perfecting songs. And I'm not saying he shouldn't do what he's doing- quite the contrary. I greatly admire what he does. But I don't buy the argument that we're waiting this long just because U2 are perfectionists. It just seems like, for the time being, Bono's top priority isn't music. Obviously, that's a choice he has every right to make. But as a fan of their music (which I will be no matter how long it takes them to release the damn thing), I can't deny that that frustrates me.

In other news, it was almost worth finding out this rather disheartening news for Dalton's brilliant post. LOL. :laugh: ;)

Forgive me for being redundant, but fuck! Everyone needs to get their panties out of a bunch. Do you want this done quick or do you want it done right? God forbid we let the boys breathe and raise their families or rally for crisis relief. Go listen to the 25 years of music that they have contributed and calm down.

Last edited:
I would say briefly scanning over these posts we have alot of people in denial. We have two pretty good sources, if they are truly from these sources.

Lets look at the evidence. Prior to any of U2's last 4 or 5 studio albums we have had major hype and information 4 to 5 months prior to the release of the first single. There hasnt really been a peep about any song titles or a single release date. As Elvis pointed out we also have not heard a thing about the new producer that was brought in. Also not a good sign. Then add on these statements from people within the organization and it doesnt look good for a release anytime soon.

From what I had heard U2 planned to have the album finished in early spring at the latest and the tour would follow in the summer or fall. It appears that it is being pushed back. So unfortunately we may not see a new album until late this year and no tour until 2005. I would rather U2 not rush the album and get it done right and just have to wait a little longer personally. Also gives me more time to save up money for the tour. 2005 works for me, after all, thats only a year away! It will be here before you know it. Also for us North American fans it could be worse. We had to wait 5 years after the Joshua Tree and Zoo tours before they played here again. So we are looking at 4 this time. I would say the earliest we could expect an album given the fact that NO info has been given would be early summer. But I think that is a stretch now also.

Last edited:
Katey said:
My original thought while awaiting news on the record was we won't hear anything until after the King centre event in Atlanta.. it is a big moment for Bono and I'm sure they didnt want to take the focus away from that for him with all these album questions and hype.. so perhaps one way or another after this week-end.. we will hear something from PM an announcement from the band maybe..

Why would this make any difference? Bono has gotten awards, recognition before...and he probably continue to...

MrBrau1 said:
I can't believe the people here who hear this news and have no reaction "oh, well, we're grateful for the Joshua Tree"! Were you not excited March is only 7 weeks away? Are you not disappointed you have to wait 9-10 MORE MONTHS? Are you all on Prozac?

it felt like a kick in the sack, it really did...
I'm operating on hope that this is more of Paul McGuinness' maneuvering to keep making sure we're all as desperate as possible, seeing as he's quoted as saying his job is to keep U2 "a hot commodity", and by letting these rumours and slamdowns go by alternately it works us up to a fever pitch, like a pack of starved dogs when something IS finally released.

I don't like being played as if my name was Sega (thank you HouseofPain) but if I could get my gut to stop hurting (next......winter???) I'd at least be able to understand it....

give your head a shake

Let it be.

It'll come when it comes. Nothing is going to happen sooner because anyone threatens to stop being a U2 fan, and as far as Im concerned, if that's your choice, please just make sure you get the hell out of my way when tickets for the next tour are announced. lol

:wave:

:)

Last edited:
Ya know....

If they tossed the entire lot and told us "we're starting over, sorry"

If it never even came out, if the Best Ofs, "The Hands That Built America" and "Electrical Storm" were the last we ever heard from them as U2... they decide to not release an album that could, in their opinion, be evidence that they should stop on a high note rather than end with tails tucked after a mediocre album, to decide to go off and live their lives as four men with families and hobbies and occasionally get together to do something creative when the mood strikes... maybe Edge will get into tinkering with the new technologies that become possible by the day (as he was recently seen at the CES conference)... maybe Larry will go ride his Harley across Europe, maybe Adam can open a nightclub (lol), and as for Mr. Hewson well we all know where he'll be, right in the faces of the politicians....

I will love and respect them no less than I do now.
They may well have missed their children's first steps, first words, the 3rd grade pageants and the times when they woke up crying in the night for "Dada, Dada..." or come home after a long tour and feel like a loose cog, lost in the patterns their families moved in while they were gone. "Kite" even came about from a bout of guilt, never being home to take the kids out to the beach... and even when he tried, it fell through.... the kite landing with a wet thud in the sand while the kids asked to go back to the house and play videogames....

I don't even know where I'm going with this. I think I'm just trying to say that I can't be angry with them for taking whatever time they need, or stopping forever if that's what they feel is best.

It will break my heart the day they do "stop being U2", whenever and however that comes about, I won't lie. But it's not their responsibility to take that burden onto their lives, does that make sense?
Some of us have been fans since the beginning and some only since last week -- there's equal frustration while rumors and hoaxes and cryptic statements from Management fly amongst us.

Sit back..... go listen to the Salom? outtakes or something, listen to the processes they went through to get Achtung Baby out... and realise that those same things are going on now even as we get frustrated at having our hopes raised and dashed.

They have given me so much. The least I can give them back is time.

I agree with Blue Room.

Usually, you start seeing at least some "behind the scenes" U2 stories in the mainstream music press three or four months in advance of an album. "Exclusives" with Rolling Stone or Spin...reporters getting special listens to songs being finalized in the studio. Last time, we fans got the nice web-cam peaks.

None of that yet this time around. If it's going to be a May (or before summer) 2004 release, we should start seeing something...anything...soon.

Otherwise, i'd tend to think late 2004 release.

Hey, maybe U2's focus testing their songs...you know, like the film studios do with Hollywood movies.

Just kidding...i'd rather they get it right.

They shoulda got Phil Ek to produce, if they wanna rock.

Flying FuManchu said:
Wow, from what the words of some fans, I guess concert tickets are going to cost even more than $45 dollars...

I was planning/hoping to get Sting tickets if he comes to Vancouver. As he is playing in Toronto, I checked Ticketmaster to find out how much tickets would be.....top price $126 Canadian. I thought I might want to go with my husband. So let me see, 2 tickets, plus all the surcharges/taxes/fees they add on and I would be looking at $270 for a pair of tickets. OUCH!!!

A couple of random thoughts..

Lanois might not have anything to do with the delay. I remember reading that the band was upset when they tried to play some of their songs with an orchestra. They were unsatisfied with the results before Lanois had a chance to pipe in.

I haven't heard the rumour of a new producer joining in. Can someone link to that story?

The Edge wrote lyrics with Bono on some of my favorite songs on ATYCLB. It seems to me that if the only thing left to do for the album was to write the lyrics, I'm sure he'd help Bono get it done or do it himself.

The album would have to be released in October 2005 to have it be 5 years between albums. Next winter is closer to 4 years than 5.

I was taken by surprise by the change in release date and disappointed that I have to wait longer - but I understand that it needs to take the time it takes. I'd rather that they are happy with what they release.

They all have personal lives to attend to and it doesn't always mean that Bono is the only busy one. I hate the attitude that the album is delayed soley because Bono is busy "saving the world".

Back
Top Bottom