(01-09-2003) Bono to Iraq: Untrue - PR Newswire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/

The new unforgettable fire has now been extinguished. Bono is NOT going to Iraq.

Bono to Iraq: Untrue

London, 9 January
Distributed by PR Newswire on behalf of RMP London

RMP London, publicist's for U2's Bono, today announced that despite press reports to the contrary, Bono will not be visiting Iraq.

"There is no truth whatsoever to this story" a spokesman said.

"Bono continues to campaign for many issues relating to debt, AIDS and trade in Africa but he has no involvement in this issue and no plan to visit Iraq".

Thak You! It really would have made me really think about continuing to be a fan!

It would've made you really think about continuing to be a fan? I hope that's sarcasm. That's like saying you'd stop voting for Bush if he didn't own any U2 albums.

I didn't want Bono to go to Iraq; it would've damaged many important relationships he's built over the last few years.

But if Africa weren't so important, I would have no problem with it. More people need to go to Iraq. There's a lot we (everyone outside White House walls) don't know about what's going on there. And why is it always assumed that what we'd discover there would serve in argument AGAINST the war and not in favor of it?

American Pride

I was disgusted by the response posted by an overwhelming American audience in the interference forum, pertaining to a possible visit to Iraq. Bono is a figure on the world stage and has brought attention to issues that westerners ignore. Don't be ignorant to the repercussions of a possible visit by Bono, labelling it as a defection. Bono is anything but a sympathizer to the atrocities that Hussein is responsible for... Bono has seen his own country implode and doesn't want to see the whole world go down the shitter as well.

It may be ridiculous to suggest that a rock star could mediate and solve the problems between America and the dictatorial regime of Hussein, but don't shoot him down for his concern over a bloody war entangled in more capital interests than moral or political dogma.

Just because you watch CNN 24 hours a day doesn't make you an expert on diplomacy and war engagement. I don't declare myself an expert either, but I wish my American brethren would think for themselves and stop absorbing all the propaganda that American television dishes out each day.

I think Hussein is dangerous, and for sure is a threat to global stability. Any action to help relieve him of his duties is probably warranted, but take a look for a second at your Commander in Chief. A man hell-bent on scoring a win for daddy, finishing the job that his father started... run into Iraq with guns blazing all in the name of America. Don't mess with Texas.

I'm glad he's not going to Iraq but don't Americanize the issue by asking him to choose sides. I think we all know what side a man with an American flag sewed to the inside of his jacket is on...:madspit:

I normally don't do controversial political posts. I just want to say that I do not necessarily agree with what my government is doing all the time. I didn't vote for Bush; I don't support his administration's policies, generally speaking, in fact I've been involved in, uh, a few protest activities of late concerning debt relief and other Third World issues. I'm currently firing off irate letters to Congress...........any questions????

verte76 said:
I normally don't do controversial political posts. I just want to say that I do not necessarily agree with what my government is doing all the time. I didn't vote for Bush; I don't support his administration's policies, generally speaking, in fact I've been involved in, uh, a few protest activities of late concerning debt relief and other Third World issues. I'm currently firing off irate letters to Congress...........any questions????

Exactly. Thank you.

I find it sad when people say that Americans generalize and don't think for themselves, and hold on to stereotypes.

Yet, people do the same things against Americans.

I don't claim to know anything about the situation in Iraq. I don't live my life according to what CNN is reporting today. I didn't vote for Bush, and no I don't agree with him. But you know what? I live in America, and unfortunately, I can't do a whole heck of a lot to change the course Bush is on - just like our Iraqi brothers and sisters can't exactly change the course Saddam may or may not be on. We live where we live - but please - don't be so assumptive to think that any of our leaders speak for all of us.

It's simply not true.

Why, in the third millenium, do people still call "Americans" to the people that lives in the USA? Most of the rest of us, the Americans (people who live in the continent called "America" named after Americo Vespucio) do not care about Bush nor the United States domestic polecies, and we certainly do not care about stupid Wars between Greed and Envy (USA and Iraq), oil and money, except for the social damage that comes from that (iraq's people's bad quality of life and USA's people tendency to support war and violence). So, please stop generalizing about this "American" stuff: call them "USA people" or something. And as for the subject of this posts thing, I don't see any problem about Bono going to Iraq (actually it would be very good if he somehow, along with other people, could stop war from happening there). Watch more tv... but good tv... not the idiots of "Inside Politics" of CNN.. :)

Felle said:
USA's people tendency to support war and violence). So, please stop generalizing about this "American" stuff: call them "USA people" or something.

You should heed your own words. I do NOT support war and violence. Nor do most people I know.

But yes, you are right about one thing - all people who live on this continent are Americans. And yes, there should be another term used for US citizens.

But please don't complain about generalizations, and then state that the people of the USA support war and violence. Just because our president does, doesn't mean we as a people do.

Sorry everbody

Apparently I pissed a few people with my comments on America. Just to clear it up, I did live in the states for a few years... deep in the heart of Texas.

I'm not some foreigner who generalizes Americans or there ideas. I do know you have little control over your government and its political agendas. I was merely spouting off on the comments made on the forum that turned a simple visit into a large political issue.

That is why the outside world generalizes about Americans because of their reactionary nature. Every country's identity is tied to their leaders and officials, and I'm not so proud of the way my governing body is portrayed. You can thank your media and its inflammatory rhetoric for the poor global image of America.

I'm glad there was such a good response to the original post and all subsequent replies were valid. I was just waiting for some other opinions, ones that were not so subordinate to the Republican war juggernaut. Thanks to all who did post.

I live on the American continent and my country is often generalized as being an American protectorate state. Don't talk to me about generalizing because the majority of the people inhabiting the continental United States (notice I didn't say Americans), especially those of authority are just as bad as the rest of the world is at generalizing nations.

But America is also an idea, like Bono said. Its not a land mass but a testament to freedom. Somewhere that was lost in the mix. I am proud to say I lived in the States, but something has to be done about its current desparate condition. Maybe one day I'll be a proud American, well... North American.

Felle said:
Why, in the third millenium, do people still call "Americans" to the people that lives in the USA? Most of the rest of us, the Americans (people who live in the continent called "America" named after Americo Vespucio) do not care about Bush nor the United States domestic polecies, and we certainly do not care about stupid Wars between Greed and Envy (USA and Iraq), oil and money, except for the social damage that comes from that (iraq's people's bad quality of life and USA's people tendency to support war and violence). So, please stop generalizing about this "American" stuff: call them "USA people" or something. And as for the subject of this posts thing, I don't see any problem about Bono going to Iraq (actually it would be very good if he somehow, along with other people, could stop war from happening there). Watch more tv... but good tv... not the idiots of "Inside Politics" of CNN.. :)

It doesn't help that we continue to call ourselves "Americans". I agree, it's outmoded.........I agree about "Inside Politics" on CNN........I don't like them, either.
I'd better shut the :censored: up.

Goverments are people's effect (resonsability) in democratic countries -such as the USA?-. Stop blaming goverments for their actions and TAKE action yourselfs.

If the US is a democracy and if most of the US citizens don't agree with your goverment and do not support war nor violence and they're not greedy, then how come:

1) the US goverment is rushing a war against Iraq, where even the UN says "they have no proof whatsoever that the Iraqui's represent these days any danger to the international comunity" (economic interests)

2) the US goverment is perpetrating a war against Afghanistan, even though most of the terrorists on 11-11 were born in Saudi Arabia (Saudi Arabia represents nowadays a good economic resource for the US country -Exxon, Shell, others- There's a lot of oil reserves in Afghanistan too... this has not been a secret and it has been well known by the russians too, that attacked them a few decades ago)

3) the US goverment has done nothing in concrete to help Colombia (because they are not an important economic resource for the USA country)

4) the US goverment continues with the economic block to Cuba, that only makes cubans to live worse (just because with a cummonist regim, the US private sector is limited to invest there)

5) the US goverment is the cheapest (by ten times, in relative terms: Aid/GNP), among the developed countries in the world (Jeffrey Sachs, Harvard Economic Review, 2002)

Bottom line is:

1) where are "the hands that built 'America'?".. to paraphrase Bono...

2) Where's your democracy and your freedom, if you're getting runned by a goverment most of you don't agree with?

3) or... are world's people's generalizations (like the one I did above) true about your country's people's "... tendency to greed and violence" wrong?

I hope at least it's the second question's problem... really... and if that's the case, you people should change the status quo of your Politic System (just as the rest of us to make a better world), but especially you (US people) because you're the economic power in the world and your the weight of your decisions have an incredibly strong impact on the World (contrary to my country's decision, for example)

Lets not forget about Africa either: the biggest genocide in human history is happening right now in Africa. The US goverment (its people) did a great job after Second World War Two to help rebuild Europe (Marshal Plan)... what happened to that line of thinking and caring about others?

I'd like to see a change in that direction... and its in the hands of the US's citizens like I said, not in the hands of their goverment.

Peace from Costa Rica,
Federico (25 years old)

Felle, please see the discussion about "watching them get on trains" in FYM.

we care, we really do. those that are not self-absorbed, unfortunately that's a lot right now.

some have wiped the dust off their eyes since 9/11, some are blinded by media ignorance, and some just don't get how bad it is in parts of the world like Africa, what the real effects will be...and then there is that strong minority that thinks Africa and others should take care of itself. it's taking us a little bit of a long time to get it together, just as it did in WWII

we keep getting this "you need to help us" and then "you are overrunning our country"

do you want our hands tied, or what?

I wouldn't want your hands completely untied... most of the time it hasn't turned out well..

how about the concept of "help others help themselves"? I think that would be a good start...

Maybe some of you should start posting your ideas in FYM.

I think your thoughts would be very welcome in there.

Peace

Back
Top Bottom