(01-09-2003) Bono Plans Iraq Visit - IMDB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://us.imdb.com/PeopleNews/

Bono Plans Iraq Visit

Irish rock star Bono is following in the footsteps of actor pal Sean Penn and planning a political trip to Iraq. The U2 frontman is hoping to visit the Gulf state within the next fortnight in order to highlight the humanitarian crisis which would result from war with the West. Kathy Kelly, one of the campaigning American human shields visited by Penn in Iraq last month says, "Penn has been putting pressure on Bono to follow suit. Apparently he's going to come."

American President George W Bush has previously praised Bono's compassionate gestures, saying, "He has a willingness to lead, to achieve what his heart tells him and a belief that nobody should be living in poverty in the world." However, Bono's reported plans are sure to conflict with Bush's war machinations.

I heard that Sean Penn isn't allowed back in the USA because he is in Iraq....

I often try to keep myself out of political and religious discussions here, for obvious reasons. BUT, I must say... IMHO this is a futile action, that will/may lose his credibility with people he needs to push his other agendas through... not to mention, does he actually think it's humanitarian in the way Saddam currently treats/abuses his people?

This is the only article I've read so far on this topic, and I'm left wondering:
Is Bono going to try to stop the US? or to try to encourage Iraq to comply?

Either way, futile.

I agree with what Elvis said.

Bono should think about his family before going to a place like Iraq. He's got 4 kids, and going to Iraq would be very selfish.

I want to hear more news about the visit before I form an opinion on it. There is alot of world opinion against a war in Iraq, especially from the business community. There is a rumor going around the business community in Switzerland--hardly a bastion of radicalism-- that some Arab countries have offered to pay Saddam to leave Iraq and avert a war in the area. There is no proof that this rumor is true but it's interesting if it is.

HelloAngel said:
http://us.imdb.com/PeopleNews/

Bono Plans Iraq Visit

Irish rock star Bono is following in the footsteps of actor pal Sean Penn and planning a political trip to Iraq. The U2 frontman is hoping to visit the Gulf state within the next fortnight in order to highlight the humanitarian crisis which would result from war with the West. Kathy Kelly, one of the campaigning American human shields visited by Penn in Iraq last month says, "Penn has been putting pressure on Bono to follow suit. Apparently he's going to come."

American President George W Bush has previously praised Bono's compassionate gestures, saying, "He has a willingness to lead, to achieve what his heart tells him and a belief that nobody should be living in poverty in the world." However, Bono's reported plans are sure to conflict with Bush's war machinations.

I really hope this isn't true. Usually I support Bono on his endearing and charitable ways. However, as Elvis stated, this is rather futile. What is the point? It seems that Bono's megalomania is getting out of control to the point where it could effect his personal life, public life and private life in a negative manner.

Touring the US in the fight for Aids and Third World Debt is one thing. But once you step into another area like Iraq, it seems as if Bono is trying to align himself on both sides on the fence. I don't even wanna get ahead of myself and think of the profound anti-U2 feelings this could encourage if he goes through with it. It is never a good thing when people die. However, Huessein and the Iraqi gov. are untrustworthy, deceitful people who must be eradicated.

On a happier note: what does everyone think of U2's cover of "Beat on the Brat?"

I'm glad I"m not the only one that feels this way. While I admire Bono for all of his devotions to the the human condition, I think any attempt to highlight the Iraqi humanitarian plight would be futile. In addition, I think it would hurt his credibility with regards to the debt /Africa issue, where he has made such a difference.

If I honestly thought it would make a difference, I would put my opinions aside and support Bono going to Iraq. But in the world of Middle East politics and the US foreign policy, Bono isn't going to make a difference.

Last edited:
Whether or not it would make a difference in the outcome, I would admire Bono's efforts if he went, just as I admire Sean Penn for his.

oktobergirl said:
I'm glad I"m not the only one that feels this way. While I admire Bono for all of his devotions to the the human condition, I think any attempt to highlight the Iraqi humanitarian plight would be futile. In addition, I think it would hurt his credibility with regards to the debt /Africa issue, where he has made such a difference.

If I honestly thought it would make a difference, I would put my opinions aside and support Bono going to Iraq. But in the world of Middle East politics and the US foreign policy, Bono isn't going to make a difference.

This is why I sort of doubt if these reports are true. If the only confirmation of the visit is from that "human shield" and Sean Penn, I don't put a heck of alot of stock in it.

:hmm:- what would b cool is if Bono did go and said-
"i came w an open mind but the USA is right here, Saddam is a bastard, he needs to b removed by persuassion first or force if necessary.

this would baffle the tree huggers, The International Left Front Crowd and winging liberals back home.:ohmy:

This would be par for Bono being consistently unpredictable.:hmm:

thank u-

db9

Last edited:
oktobergirl said:

I agree completely with the above!!

From u2log.com.......

Update: U2's publicist RMP London announced today that despite reports to the contrary, Bono will not be visiting Iraq. "There is no truth whatsoever to this story," a spokesperson said. "Bono continues to campaign for many issues relating to debt, AIDS and trade in Africa, but he has no involvement in this issue and no plan to visit Iraq."

madamc said:
I agree with what Elvis said.

Bono should think about his family before going to a place like Iraq. He's got 4 kids, and going to Iraq would be very selfish.

i agree. I dont know that it would help much at all..and it would be very dangerous..Sean penn isnt known for being the best decision maker so that he decided to go doesnt say much. Dont do it Bono! Too many people love and need you to stay alive and well!

I'm glad he's not doing it. I'm not surprised that there was a rumor to this effect, however. There were earlier rumors about a trip to India. Again, not true.

Back
Top Bottom