(01-08-2003) Henry Rollins takes dig at Bono - Jam!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.canoe.ca/

Henry Rollins takes dig at Bono
By JAM! Music

U2's Bono may be the poster boy for rock star philanthropy, but Henry Rollins thinks he's doing too much.

In an interview with a Metroactive, a California entertainment newspaper, the ex-Black Flag frontman voiced his concern over Bono's ambitious undertakings.

"I hate this guy's music, but I like the idea of absolving Third World debt, because otherwise these people are going to die," Rollins said. "So if he's using all that rock star power, well, right on. Like he's Mr. Africa Third World Debt Guy, which is a huge issue, but now, he's Mr. AIDS Guy. Well, wait a minute, how did you go from Third World debt to AIDS? It starts to sound like he leaves a lot undone."

Rollins, notorious for ragging on U2, is involved in his own charitable endeavour. He recently released a benefit album "Rise Above: 24 Black Flag Songs to Benefit the West Memphis Three," to raise defence money for three men many believe were wrongly convicted of murder.

In a 1992 NME interview, Rollins called Bono, "the most pompous, pretentious, unbelievably crass guy I have ever encountered in music."

While he still questions Bono's motives, he seems to have eased up on the Irishman since. "Is this a crusade or really good promo for U2's new greatest hits album?" Rollins contemplates his own question in the recent interview, and continues: "I have to think his heart's in the right place. I think he's a boring singer, but I don't think he's a bad man."

Rollins kicked off his spoken word tour in California last night, and is set to perform in Vancouver on January 11th and Toronto on February 1st.

Does somebody want to send a letter to Mr. Rollins and explain the connection between third world debt and the AIDS epidemic?

then he can find another target to bitch about...

DebbieSG said:
Does somebody want to send a letter to Mr. Rollins and explain the connection between third world debt and the AIDS epidemic?

then he can find another target to bitch about...

In that letter they should also inform Mr Rollins that no one really cares what he thinks anymore. Anger is not what will heal the world today.

Rollins is a mental midget. I think he is bitter because his career now consists of minor roles in bad movies and stream-of-consciousness rants into a mic at half-full L.A. coffee houses. I think if he would just come out of the closet and get it over with he would be much less angry at the world.

HelloAngel said:
http://www.canoe.ca/

Henry Rollins takes dig at Bono
By JAM! Music

In a 1992 NME interview, Rollins called Bono, "the most pompous, pretentious, unbelievably crass guy I have ever encountered in music."

There's an old saying (and many variations on it) that you can only see your own consciousness in anything. Or, 'if you spot it you got it.' What a dumbass that he can't see that the things he thinks he hates in Bono are the very things he has yet to address in himself.

I don't understand why people gets so upset about a guy's opinion; it's jus that: an opinion. Besides, this guy Rollings said he just think Bono's a boring singer (and that's what taste is all about) but he never said he was a rediculous person or a bad one. However, Rollings doesn't even understand the relation between AIDS and Poverty (Third World Debts), so that's a good reason not to take his opinion seriously anyway... :) U2 rules!

Henry Rollins calling anyone a boring singer! This moron has never had a hit, stars in some of the worst movies ever made and for god sakes reads poetry in god dam coffee houses. Hey Henry are u too dumb to relaize that there is a connection between AIDS and Third World debt? I know you are too busy writing your next horrible album that with God's belssing will not get any airtime, working on your next Academy Award winning performance in Deadbeat Dads Part 45, or writing those touching poems that you torture us with but get a fucking clue you jackass.

U2carrie said:
Henry Rollins calling anyone a boring singer! This moron has never had a hit, stars in some of the worst movies ever made and for god sakes reads poetry in god dam coffee houses. Hey Henry are u too dumb to relaize that there is a connection between AIDS and Third World debt? I know you are too busy writing your next horrible album that with God's belssing will not get any airtime, working on your next Academy Award winning performance in Deadbeat Dads Part 45, or writing those touching poems that you torture us with but get a fucking clue you jackass.

Welcome to Interference! :wave:

All things aside.. Black Flag was pretty influential and popular in its day, as was the Rollins Band. The song "Liar" they released was a modest radio and MTV hit. He hasn't had a hit record in years, but he was a revered rock star at one time - back in the 90s. His angry-tattooed-man schtick has gotten old, though.

HelloAngel said:

Welcome to Interference! :wave:

All things aside.. Black Flag was pretty influential and popular in its day, as was the Rollins Band. The song "Liar" they released was a modest radio and MTV hit. He hasn't had a hit record in years, but he was a revered rock star at one time - back in the 90s. His angry-tattooed-man schtick has gotten old, though.

Very old. :yawn: :yawn: I know I don't give a :censored: about his ideas these days. Get a life, Henry.:madspit: :censored:

Back
Top Bottom