Your first look at U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bono's shades

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
So, where did all of you get your first glimpse of the members of U2? Was it in a video? On an album cover? A magazine cover? And what was your initial reaction?

I first saw our boys in the "With or Without You" video. I was really excited to see the video on MTV because I had already fallen in love with the song from hearing it on the radio. My initial reaction to seeing the band members was, "Wow, the drummer is a hunk!" (I didn't even know any of the guys' names yet!) and as for the lead singer, I thought, "Hmmm, he looks really...intense...and yeah, he's kind of sexy too." I wasn't a U2 fan long though before I stopped considering him just "kind of sexy" and began doing this :drool: :drool: :drool: every time I saw him.

First time EVER... probably some random video on MTV

First time seeing Bono and knowing it was Bono... a documentary on Woody Guthrie in music class. I remember distinctly thinking "Didn't he quit making music?" ...I guess "bono" was connected with "old" in my mind.

First time seeing U2 and knowing it was U2: When I bought the Best Of

the first time I saw U2 I was about 4 my little brother was in the hospital, my mom had come home for a quick change and to spend a little time with me before she had to go back. my mom sat me down in front of the TV and put on a video for me to watch so she could go shower.......anyway I remember watching the Bee Gees "Jive Talking" *Iamaclosetbeegeesfan*and right after the Bee Gees was NYD, I remember getting up and rewinding the video and watching it over and over again.

I heard the War songs on the radio and bought the album. It wasn't that great a pic of Bono on that cover, his mouth looked kind of funny. But when I saw magazine pics I knew he was CUTE!! Then I saw Red Rocks and Bono in action and he was so hot! They were all so good looking in that show and I loved it! They used to play it a lot on TV. I watched Live Aid live and Bono was so sexy! AAAHHHH how he bent in those pants and walked in those boots! I had Bono on my wall, and I had the biggest crush on him. Still do as a matter of fact;)

COOL THREAD!

Kristie said:
First time seeing U2 and knowing it was U2: When I bought the Best Of

Me too!!!!

Aww lemme tell ya my story:

Once upon a time, my boss (now my bf) asked me:
'Have you heard the new U2 song'?
I replied:
No. In fact, I've heard there's a band called U2 but I've never heard something from them'
He said:
What? Well lemme put on this song is called 'The Ground Beneath Her Feet'.

He plays the song on Naspter and when it finishes...

Him: Did you liked it?
Me: Yes. It's pretty cool

So many moons passed, until one day, there was a 40% discount sale on all cassettes and CD's. I ran to the store and there I was: With $50 dollars on hand and willing to buy new music. After an hour and half I got 2 items:
1 cassette from Air Supply's greatest hits
2 Led Zeppelin's Remasters CD

I still got money for another cassette. I take another look to all the rock section and I see a particular one: A golden striped-picture with a boy with a helmet, like a soldier. And it says U2. I think to myself: This is the group Al was talking about. Hmmm... '1980-1990 greatest hits'. They sound good. I'll take it.

And the story is clear: After getting that cassette, I got blown away by U2 :heart:

Oh and funny story: When I saw the pictures inside the case: I kept wondering who's Bono? Becasue my bf had told me that he was the singer and he was a renown star. So as conclusion: because Adam looked the coolest on all the pictures, I thought he was Bono. And Bono's voice marveled me that much, that I even dreamt with Adam thinking it was the Bman! :lol:

I LOVE TO TELL THIS STORY :heart:U2Fuzzies:heart:

Ah, I remember as if it were yesterday.

HAHAHAHAHA.......ok.
My first time seeing the guys.

It was like 7 or 8 years ago on a radio station commercial on tv.
It was for the new "alternative" station in town, and it was showing clips of the bands it played.
For like 3 seconds, it showed mullet Bono singing "Pride".
My first thought was "ummm....ok.....that is soooooooo 80s."
I was young and stupid.
Now I'm old(er) and obsessed.:evil:

I first saw U2 on a cassette cover,when my girlfriend bought me "Under a Blood Red Sky" in '87 (if you can believe it, she saved the receipt for me and later framed it for me for my U2 wall!), at first I thought it was kinda rough music, lol, then I became obsessed and have been ever since!

aaaah memories....

The first time I ever saw U2 was on a local music channel called U68 and it was the video for either "Gloria" or "A Celebration".

I saw Bono bouncing around in those videos and I was in luuuuuuuuuv.

:love:

The first time i saw them was when my sister got the rattle and hum video off her bf. and it was the part during ISHFWILF where you see adam clapping, and i fell in looooove

Sitting ever so comfortably in front of my t.v., I was just flipping past MTV (*shudder*) when I caught a glimpse of a slightly... different video (ISHFWILF).

[My Brain during course of said video:

Lead singer. Sexy lead singer. Voice. That man can sing.

This is definitely *not* Justin Timberlake.

What... is that a guitarist? You mean they play their own instruments?

Oh. Sexy blue eyed singer.

Man, that's high for a full-voiced note.

*moves closer to tele*

I'm really liking this song.

Wow, who's the blonde guy?

Lead singer still definitely sexy. Guh.

Look how he flirts with the camera. And with the guitarist. o_0
But still, it's not in an annoying boyband sort of a way. It's endearing.

Look at leadsinger man try to dance. Eee! Want him.

[Insert 'You broke the bonds' verse]

0_0 They got this played on MTV?

Who are they?

*video information pops up* U2? THAT'S U2? Must buy album]

I had always associated U2 with Boyz 2 Men somehow, and in so doing, had little interest in them. Picked up Joshua Tree that night though.

Still one of my favourite vids from them.

My parents gave me a copy of the JT CD on April 1, 1995. I was listening to the music, and I fell in love...so I grabbed the liner notes for the CD and started flippin' through...then I came to the "centerfold" and was like YOWZA!!!!!!!!!! :drool:

BC's Dad: Hey, I have that album on vinyl...

*gets record and gives to BC*

BC: *opens it up to see even bigger picture*

*faints*

*displays picture in bedroom*

*time passes*

BC's Dad: Hey, do you want me to put my record away?

BC: Mom said I can have it!

BC's Dad: What?? That's mine!

BC: WAS yours....

:D

Last edited:
My first time was the 1993 Grammies, when Bono did the f*ck the mainstream speech, smoking his cigar and just being his cocky self. I remember watching him on tv, seeing him for the first time and thinking: "who does this guy think he is? He's so arrogant and annoying. OMD he just said the f-word. Hey, wait a minute, that guy's realy hot!" I was 13 and that was my first glimpse of Bono. But I didn't really fall in love with the man until the Discotheque vid in 1997 (I didn't have cable at my house so I could never see any music vids before that). Guess it was that tight green t-shirt and the thrusts, homina homina:drool: I had always loved their music but I gotta say that video brought my level of adoration to a whole new different level;)

Last edited:
lady lemonade said:
My first time was the 1993 Grammies, when Bono did the f*ck the mainstream speech, smoking his cigar and just being his cocky self. I remember watching him on tv, seeing him for the first time and thinking: "who does this guy think he is? He's so arrogant and annoying. OMD he just said the f-word. Hey, wait a minute, that guy's realy hot!"

::giggles::

That made me laugh.

Whee.

the first time i remember seeing the band (i'm sure i saw them earlier than this, esp. during 87ish, but i was only four, so i don't really remember anything from then except me going gaa-gaa over the reflex and karma chameleon videos) was in 91 when i became a fan. i bought achtung baby. i thought they were hot i guess. i thought the fly seemed hot. i already knew who bono was, that his name was paul hewson, he was irish, and his wife's name was ali, all thanks to my aunt. :laugh:

I think it was my mom who said to me, "This is U2" when I found a poster with the band during the early 90s. I remeber Edge and Bono. And till I became a HC U2 fan, for me the rockstar ethalon was Bono. I thought thats what they call ROCKSTAR. It was the Fly :)

lady lemonade said:
My first time was the 1993 Grammies, when Bono did the f*ck the mainstream speech, smoking his cigar and just being his cocky self.
:laugh: i know! i was 10 at the time, and i was into the band a lot. all i had was achtung baby and zooropa, and i remember taping the ppv concert that year, which mysteriously got taped over. :mad:

anyway, this was back when i thought cuss words were soooo horrible, and i heard that, and i was like :eek: what did he say?! and when he was backstage when they announced they won, i think he had a cigarette (or cigar or whatever, it was one of those infamous brown cigarettes) and a glass of some kinda alcohol in his hand. it was the first time i'd actually seen them, like outside of an album cover or music video. it was shocking. :wink:

Lets see...... The first thing I ever heard by U2 was their cover of Baby, Its Christmas(Please Come Home)which was in '87, thats the first thing I remembering hearing by them bc I was only 4 when that came out. The first video I ever saw of them was ISHFWILF in '89 and I was a fanatic then on.

I remember that whenever we had to do housework when we were younger, my siblings and I would beg my mom to put on the JT record while we worked. It was sooooooo loud and I cant even count the # of times the cops were called on us for playing loud music.:lol:

With or without you filmclip in 1987......

I probably saw them before that, but probably took no notice, but anyway I can remember seeing the WOWY clip and recognizing it as U2, cause my Mum liked the song, but I didnt really pay that much attention, but the first time that I was like 'oh my' towards Bono was in 89 when they showed some footage on a local news station of fans waiting to meet the band at the airport and Bono looked incredibly sexy ( I just love the whole J-Tree & Hum era ) so I guess it was 89 for me:)

It was definetley seeing Gloria on MTV (they rocked then), and Bono had Duran Duranish hair.

They looked like this:
boyband.jpg

Then I saw Red Rocks was completely blown away. Live Aid just locked me up for life.

U2 has been there all my life, but as another good band, not THE band, you know? The special thing that only U2 has always managed to escape me. :banghead:

But I fell in love with U2 (and Larry) because of the Elevation Live from Boston DVD.

And it's one of the best things that's ever happened to me. :yes:

God Bless :larry: :adam: :edge: :bono: :heart:

KhanadaRhodes said:

anyway, this was back when i thought cuss words were soooo horrible, and i heard that, and i was like :eek: what did he say?! and when he was backstage when they announced they won, i think he had a cigarette (or cigar or whatever, it was one of those infamous brown cigarettes) and a glass of some kinda alcohol in his hand. it was the first time i'd actually seen them, like outside of an album cover or music video. it was shocking. :wink:

:laugh:I used to be so scandilized when people used the F-word when I was 13. And he was smoking and drinking so that was pretty shocking, especially at the Grammies, probably the highlight of the evening...

Okay, before I say anything else, I just want to say I love the picture you have in your sig, MoonWalker.

Okay, anywho, in response to this question:

First time I ever saw U2: I remember seeing the video for ISHFWILF when I was younger on Pop-Up Video-don't remember how old I was. And I remember one of those little poppy things saying that at the part where Bono kisses that girl, the director's trying to get the girl to get out of the shot, Bono's like, "Nah, she can stay", which I thought was pretty nice of him, letting someone be a part of the video shoot. Didn't think too much about what any of the guys looked like or anything like that, though-I just remember thinking, "Wow, that was nice of him".

I also remember the first time I ever saw the videos for "Numb" and "Lemon". I was like, "O-kay, these videos are really weird".

Now I think those videos are cool. :). And I still say that the ISHFWILF video is a wonderful example of how incredibly good-looking Bono is (man, I just love how he looks from the Joshua Tree/Rattle and Hum era...:drool:...).

Angela

I was watching late night TV in 1981 when I saw them for the first time. I remember thinking that they didn't sound very Irish and were very cute. I fell in love! :heart:

I became a fan in 2000 when I heard Beautiful Day and saw the video on MTV. I saw the first Stuck video online and it was so sexy of Bono! I loved the Elevation and Walk On videos and the ATYCLB cd too! I started looking for their old stuff and really loved Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree so much! I'm a big fan now! I've been saved by U2!

The first time I saw U2 was in the HMTMKMKM video. I didn't know that it was U2, but I liked that cartoon. :rolleyes:

And the first time I saw U2 consciously was in the BD video. I heard the song and looked up from what I was doing and then there was Bono and he really, really looked good. :yes

Back
Top Bottom