You Can Buy Your Own ONE Shirts Now!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamila

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
....from the ONE site. Check it out:

https://store.one.org/donate.aspx

I just bought two - I can't wait to receive them!

Just thought that PLEBA should know.

I hope a lot of us will wear them during the third leg of the Vertigo tour.

Take care. :up:

lg-tshirt.jpg

before i order a t-shirt size, i want to know what brand the are. if it's american appearl, then i'm a L, other than that i'm a M. the Vertigo tour screwed me. i bought all M's and later found out that the american appearl shirts are too small. now i have a $40 t-shirt i will never be able to wear.

~BrightestStar~ said:
Weren't there rumours of ONE shirts being released like the one B wore? The one with the pic of africa on it? I don't have a pic handy...

I sure hope so and if there's not by the fall American leg of the tour, I might just print one myself.

The consumerism aspect of these campaigns disturb me. I wonder how many of these wristbands and tshirts will be landfill in 6 months time?

The Coexist symbol doesn't bother me so much as the message is immediate, and it's ascetically pleasing. The print on the One tshirts doesn't mean anything to people who aren't in the know. One what? One planet? "The Campaign To Make Poverty History" - how? By implementing universal communism?

The marketing on the Coexist products is beautiful, simple, easily understood. Even if people are complete morons and don't understand the religious symbols, just the word "coexist" is powerful.

The word "One" means little. These products are basically brand awareness products as distinct from an educational tool. If people want to contribute to the One campaign then they can do so by participating in the campaign. Quietly. There is no honour in doing a good deed and then screaming your head off about it to all and sundry in search of praise, which is what a tshirt does.

I'm of the opinion that people should donate their time and/or money to the One campaign/Data. I have spent many years of my life working for various campaigns. This does not make me a more important person than anyone else. Nor does it make me a more important U2 fan. We are all equal.

Beli I'm kind of seeing where your coming from, but what if someone doesn't know about the campaign sees someone wearing a t-shirt and asks questions. The person learns about it, gets interested, logs on, finds out more and then passes it on to others.

I wear a t-shirt all the time that says "Ether" on it. You would be surprised how many people have stopped and asked me about it. To me the ONE T-shirts are walking billboards for a great cause. I would wear the t-shirt to spread the information, not to get recognition for myself, but for an important cause.

Realisticly how many of us will ever meet Bono in the flesh? I for one don't think it will probably happen to me and even if I did, honestly I don't care if he thinks its nice I'm wearing a ONE shirt. I'm not doing it for some guy who lives half way across the world from me and happens to write music that I really enjoy.

I'm doing it for the millions of people living and dying in poverty! The millions of people who deserve the right to have clean water, food, and medicine. Maybe I'm naive, but I honestly believe that we can change the way the world is. I truly believe that one day we can all live equally and free. This is why I would wear a shirt. If that t-shirt got one person to stand up and say that they feel what is going on is wrong, then that shirt would be worth it!

stars, did you check WHAT I'm doing?

check the link

And I guess everyone needs to throw your ONE bands in the garbage - this is no different.

Just another way to get the message out.

I'm sure the People who are suffering in Africa don't have a problem with a little commercial publicity if it helps their lives.

Let's CO-EXIST.

Love and Peace. :yes:

Jamila said:
And I guess everyone needs to throw your ONE bands in the garbage - this is no different.

That's precisely my point. They will end up in the garbage eventually. Thousands of them. More landfill.

Jamila said:

I'm sure the People who are suffering in Africa don't have a problem with a little commercial publicity if it helps their lives.

It's not the commercial publicity to which I object, it's the promotion of consumerism. The One campaign is the goal not the One tshirt.

Sometimes I feel people get so hooked up in the consumer frenzy of "Buy this pink wristband", "Buy two pairs of Edun jeans" that perhaps the message is being overlooked in the rush to own even more objects. Less immoral objects or not, more crap is more crap.

The Developed nations obsession with hogging the worlds resources is one of the (many) problems that causes the Developing nations to be so impoverished in the first place. There isn't enough resources to sustain the world at the level of luxury experienced by many people in the Developed nations. Why waste precious international resources on disposable wristbands, and even more tshirts?

I thought the goal of the One t-shirt/wristband was to promote the One Campaign :scratch:

Like Russty Cat said, someone sees you wearing one, asks what it's about, and you inform them about the campaign.

I don't see anything wrong with wearing the t-shirt as a promotional tool. I think people should donate time to the campaign too, but they can't do that if they're not even aware of the campaign to begin with.

But wearing a t-shirt to say "Look how great I am that I help" is kind of dumb :yes:. I guess it depends what you view the purpose of the shirt is.

Last edited:
Yes, beli, I've often thought it was rather ironic that the ONE wristbands (and all the other choices out there) are made of rubber.

Jamila said:
stars, did you check WHAT I'm doing?

check the link

Let's CO-EXIST.

Love and Peace. :yes:

I dunno, Jamila...I think we need to be more careful about the message we're getting out. In my attempt to "coexist" I went to Africa to check all this stuff out and the people I met everywhere were intelligent, hard-working people. Even though people are trying to help, sometimes I feel like the attitude coming across here makes these people sound like helpless puppies or something. They are real people, beautiful and brilliant in their own ways. Coexisting is way more than a wearing a T-shirt and a wristband and showing a film...

beli said:

That's precisely my point. They will end up in the garbage eventually. Thousands of them. More landfill.

And unfortunatly, rubber takes years to decompose.

beli said:

It's not the commercial publicity to which I object, it's the promotion of consumerism. The One campaign is the goal not the One tshirt.

Sometimes I feel people get so hooked up in the consumer frenzy of "Buy this pink wristband", "Buy two pairs of Edun jeans" that perhaps the message is being overlooked in the rush to own even more objects. Less immoral objects or not, more crap is more crap.

"Buy this shirt because Bono supports this cause," or "Buy this shirt because Bono wore one like it." I think some people enjoy supporting Bono rather than supporting the actual issue.

Souly said:

"Buy this shirt because Bono supports this cause," or "Buy this shirt because Bono wore one like it." I think some people enjoy supporting Bono rather than supporting the actual issue.

:yes:

Souly said:

And unfortunatly, rubber takes years to decompose.

Yeah, I see your point :yes:

I'd hate for someone to question my motives though if I wore a wristband. That's why I don't really want to wear my EDUN t-shirt to a U2 show. I didn't buy it cause it was associated w/Bono. To be fair, I looked at it because it was associate w/Bono, but I bought because I actually liked the shirt (I wouldn't have bought it if it was god awful ugly :lol: ). But wearing it to a show seems to me like "Hey look at me!" kind of thing :reject:

Last edited:
u2granny said:

Exactly - I get a very weird feeling when I hear fans do the above stated and then call themselves a better fan, or think that Bono wants to give them more attention by talking to them/taking a picture with them.
I don't think Bono thinks that way, he seems to take time for every fan when he can.

After all, it's Africa we want to help, not fall into Bono's grace, is it?

I must say I find this a funny subject to get righteous about. It's a fact of life that T-shirts and bumperstickers are the pamphlets of the late 20th/early 21st century, and that techniques such as the white wristband have been used before to raise awareness, and to keep issues in the conscious mind. As for the environment, rubber is highly recycleable, and cloth is routinely recycled -- my old clothing goes to non-profits who sell it in bundles to raggers and make something on it -- the cloth gets recycled and the non-profit makes money.

Granted, there are going to be boneheads who do this because BONO would approve, but that's part of the landscape as well-back in the '30s in the US, college kids became Communists, some because they sincerely felt it was a solution to the greed of the '20s, and others because they thought it fashionable, their hormones were out of whack or they wanted to piss off Mumsy and Dada. They would have signed up to be archery targets if someone told them it was cool. There were dilettantes and other idiots involved in everything from the Civil Rights movement to the women's movement and the anti-war movement -- do they define or characterize those movements? Of course not. And is saying you are involved in a certain campaign a violation of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing? I don't think so. If it is, then our Bon would burn like a piece of toast. We certainly know how involved he is and how often he talks about it! Any reasonable person can spot the difference between a holier-than-thou gasbag and a sincere worker for justice. I am no fan of rampant consumerism either, but I consider my $10 a donation, not a purchase -- and the T-shirt a communication device, as well as a godsend for me, because I have a herniated disc in my neck and can't wear a bra every day, and this thing comes in a 2X!! How's THAT for nobility?

I guess the important thing is for each person to worry about his or her own personal motives for doing anything, and not to worry about how other people might take something. Hate to disagree with our Bon, but this AIDS pandemic is genocide, that's not hyperbole, and we have to keep our eyes on the prize. And the most you are going to get out of some people is the wearin' o' the T-shirt. Better than nothing. Let's look at the bright side -- all the nincompoops who are wearing the shirts because they think it's cool? They make great billboards, and really, what else are they suited for?

I've noticed in recent years tho that with SO MANY T-shirts having writing one them, nobody pays attention any more.
Growing up it was a great way to get people talking, I'd often have ppl ask me about what was on my shirt.
Now everybody has a "statement" shirt.
Whether it's
I see dumb people
Flirt
I slept with your girlfriend
Or whatnot, this trend really dosen't make it as much of a conversation piece any more.
:shrug:

Back
Top Bottom