You are all freaks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, not to take sides 'cause I am not. And I am very much in agreement that you can show your appreciation and hell, even a certain amount of "lust" in a cute/funny/respectful manner. However some things are best left unsaid or via IM/PMs/Emails with your friends :lol:

Having said that, I really don't get the "PLEBA used to be so much better" talk. When I first joined it certainly wasn't pure. We did have a few months there after I joined when things seemed to calm down a bit more and it was more about information, pictures, etc. (again, my preferred version of PLEBA, but certainly not the only one that I have witnessed).

Moreover, from what I understand, the PLEBA of today (even with its return to a bit of a wilder format) is positively puritan compared to what it used to be years and years ago.

So... yes, let's try to tone it down. Gentle reminders seem to work. I know I don't visit every single thread that gets opened here and I probably spend the most time of the PLEBA mods in here. So yes, we do miss things that you can feel free to point out to us.

The drama at interference is way too elevated recently and I'd hate to see it carry onto this place. :(

Last edited:
Miroslava said:
Well, not to take sides 'cause I am not. And I am very much in agreement that you can show your appreciation and hell, even a certain amount of "lust" in a cute/funny/respectful manner. However some things are best left unsaid or via IM/PMs/Emails with your friends :lol:

Yes, agreed. Somedays I have Bonolust. You'd never actually guess, because this is what I discuss with my friends via IMs.

Miroslava said:

Having said that, I really don't get the "PLEBA used to be so much better" talk. When I first joined it certainly wasn't pure. We did have a few months there after I joined when things seemed to calm down a but more and it was more about information, pictures, etc. (again, my preferred version of PLEBA, but certainly not the only one that I have witnessed).

Pleba used to be so much better because there's a line between the Regular Insane U2 Fan and Clearly off the wall, sometimes mentally insane obsessive omg I love Bono's scruff but holy shit there's some other girl who's touching it in a picture now I have to throw myself off a bridge type of U2 Fan. That line has been crossed many times these days it's almost invisible. Non existant.

Miroslava said:

Moreover, from what I understand, the PLEBA of today (even with its return to a bit of a wilder format) is positively puritan compared to what it used to be years and years ago.

Pleba v1.0 was wild, yes. However, back in the day it was a small group of friends who knew each other and joked around. Pleba of today isn't the same anymore. There are different 'generations' of Pleba if you will. Some of us clash with others.

Miroslava said:

So... yes, let's try to tone it down. Gentle reminders seem to work. I know I don't visit every single thread that gets opened here and I probably spend the most time of the PLEBA mods in here. So yes, we do miss things that you can feel free to point out to us.

The drama at interference is way too elevated recently and I'd hate to see it carry onto this place. :(

Reminders work for about three days. Then it receeds back to where it was.

And oh hey look. It took six replies before someone came in and posted pictures of Bono and a drool smilie. Is that a record or something? :|

Miroslava said:

So... yes, let's try to tone it down. Gentle reminders seem to work.

gentle reminders seem to work..but only to an extent. the real problem is that they're missing the point. sure, tmi posters will listen to a mod who pops in and calms things down a bit, but it'll happen all over again.

oh hell, I seem to be pointing my finger around at people. sorry :/ I just agree with kelly..a little less of that would do. either way, I still lurve this place :hug:

Jam Jar said:

gentle reminders seem to work..but only to an extent. the real problem is that they're missing the point. sure, tmi posters will listen to a mod who pops in and calms things down a bit, but it'll happen all over again.

Actually, it only worked about an hour, if you count someone wanting to bite Bono's nipples tmi :|

I give up.

U2Kitten said:
well it's the only place I feel safe and welcome,and the only place where everyone is readily accepted as a friend and no one picks on anyone.

Yep, this is how I used to feel. [Sort of. "Safe and welcome"? Not quite the words I'd use, but this used to be home, I admit. Now it's littered with ... I don't know how to finish this sentence nicely.]

Now when browsing I skip completely through the text, minus a few exceptions (who know who they are) and look for new pictures.

U2Kitten said:

I may be the only person who's been here so long (nearly 5 years) without growing tired of the pics and the drooling and running off to other areas. This is the best part of the forum, and while it changes personalities from time to time as different groups of members become more active, it's always good, always happy, and always HOT. Anyone who doesn't like that doesn't have to click on this forum.

You probably are and you might want to consider a new hobby or something. Analyzing the length of Bono's hair and then categorizing it isn't exactly healthy. Nor is obsessing over post counts.

U2Kitten said:

PLEBA & PLEBAns :hug: :bow: :up:

You forgot ":bono::larry::adam::edge::heart::love:"

kellyahern said:

She used to post here all the time. A lot of us did. Not to speak for Souly, but what some people object to is how Pleba has gone from a place to look and appreciate pictures with modest drooling :drool: to a place where every other post seems to be "OMG BONO IS SO FUCKING HOT!#!#!# I WANT TO SHAG HIM AND SUCK HIS FINGERS AND TOES$%!!!!"

imho :)

I have to say I completely agree with this statement. Although I never spent here as much time as most of you guys (gals?) do, PLEBA definitely was the place to come for pictures and/or information about the band. It still is to some extent. But this morning I went through about 20 pages cause I'd been away for a while, and although the posts were not irrespectful (ie no need for a mod's intervention), I did feel quite uncomfortable reading them. Let's say it went from a pic area to a fandom one. I just feel like if I were to read those comments about a friend of mine or a relative, I'm not sure I'd appreciate them at all.
Anyway thanks for the explanation Kelly, I was wondering what this thread was about!:huh:

I'm not a "freak" but thanks for the insult

Honestly being insulted like that and feeling excluded around here might bug me as much as some of what bothers you guys. I'm sure I might be "attacked" and talked about for saying that but that's how I feel. I don't care, it's not worth it to me to "argue" about something that's just a web site to me. I can't spend time obsessing on it, when it bothers me I just avoid it. The rest of Interference, and some people in it, bothers me too sometimes.

I don't really mind the way it is now, because after all, it is just a website and the newbies have as much right to be there as the old school PLEBAns.

I did like it a LOT more the way it was years ago. Sure, there was a lot of graphic stuff, but it was funny, witty, and most of all we all knew we were joking. No one seriously wanted to fondle so-and-so's you-know-what's (well, maybe some did, but that was a private matter). Also, one the fanfic got it's own forum, a lot of that moved out on it's own. PLEBA of old was a great place for actual news and discussion, just like EYKIW, but the threads were more related to specific band members. For example, a lot of Bono news would be in PLEBA, not EYKIW because EYKIW was more for U2 related stuff. Now, there's news, yes, there're new pictures, but you have to sort through 20 pages of nonsensical comments, innuendoes, and simley faces to get to some actual discussion. Now it's like a lite version of the old Zootopia. It's really no wonder PLEBA gets mocked in all the other forums here.

Honestly, I don't really care all that much. I'll still go to PLEBA. But if it was up to me, I'd rather see it go back towards a forum rather than a softcore chat room.

kellyahern said:

She used to post here all the time. A lot of us did. Not to speak for Souly, but what some people object to is how Pleba has gone from a place to look and appreciate pictures with modest drooling :drool: to a place where every other post seems to be "OMG BONO IS SO FUCKING HOT!#!#!# I WANT TO SHAG HIM AND SUCK HIS FINGERS AND TOES$%!!!!"

imho :)
Jumping on the bandwagon here. Kelly said what a lot of us have been thinking. I'm not usually one to stir things up but the fact that I completely skip over Pleba when I'm on Interference makes me sad sometimes.

I used to never leave Pleba. Now I never come here. I'm not saying I was never one of the "freaky" girls posting drool smilies, and I'm not saying that an absentee Pleban and I never pm pictures of Bono to each other and have long discussions about scruff or the number of buttons on a shirt that are not being used, but it's just not the same.

I signed up for Interference when I stumbled on to another Pleban's web site and found the quote from Bono about "scary girls." Back then it was a joke. I'm not really sure it's a joke anymore.

Also, in regards to some "bullies" outside Pleba...some of them are pretty damn nice in real life, when they're not having their buttons pushed.

Souly said:

You probably are and you might want to consider a new hobby or something. Analyzing the length of Bono's hair and then categorizing it isn't exactly healthy. Nor is obsessing over post counts.

See, this is when being a mod sucks. You've been here long enough to know better than to say something like this.

Again, I agree with the underlying sentiment of this thread, but I do have a problem with some of the delivery of that message not just by you but by some others... I too have cut my PLEBA time significantly in recent months for the same reasons, so I know what you're talking about.

So keeping the finger pointing to a minimum, I must say that this is a good reminder...

MSN/AIM/Your email/PMs all good ways to talk about your more personal feelings about certain topics!

Last edited:
Sad_Girl said:
U2kitten said it perfectly. I'm genuinely terrified to post outside of Pleba. I don't like to see the judgment and general rudeness seeping in here, to the one place left where we can come and just have a good time.

It's all in good fun, people! If you don't like it here, don't come in here! It's that simple. There are several places on interference into which I don't even venture to lurk anymore. It isn't hard to do.

We aren't bothering anyone, and we aren't singling people out to pick on and ridicule. If you want to play, come on in, everyone is welcome. Just so long as you don't come here to try and name call and make people feel bad.

I guess some people just don't understand that you can have a good time without making someone else miserable. I feel sorry for people who waste their time worrying over the fact that we here at Pleba are 'freaks' rather than finding something they can enjoy as much as we enjoy ourselves here.

Oh, and by the way, I am quite proud to be a freak. I have never wanted to fit into anyone's definition of 'normal'. (and that just drives you crazy, doesn't it? :p )

Well said SG and U2kitten! I lurk around most forums and it is just awful how some ppl treat others. I never let it bother me and I still post if I have something to add. I have learned to look past peoples hang ups about myself, my views, etc. I see nothing wrong with Pleaba(IMO) as long as the ladies are following the forum rules (which are very fair IMO) then it is all good:wink:

Miroslava said:

You've been here long enough to know better than to say something like this.

But if I mean it genuinely? Because I do.

Life revolving around U2 (espcieally if it's online) isn't exactly healthy.

Souly said:

But if I mean it genuinely? Because I do.

Life revolving around U2 (espcieally if it's online) isn't exactly healthy.

Easy reply to your question...

Miroslava said:

MSN/AIM/Your email/PMs all good ways to talk about your more personal feelings about certain topics!

:lazy:

Souly said:

Pleba used to be so much better because there's a line between the Regular Insane U2 Fan and Clearly off the wall, sometimes mentally insane obsessive omg I love Bono's scruff but holy shit there's some other girl who's touching it in a picture now I have to throw myself off a bridge type of U2 Fan. That line has been crossed many times these days it's almost invisible. Non existant.

These kinds of "throw myself off a bridge type of U2 fan" are not just limited to PLEBA. I've seen some v. scary posts all over this board by seemingly "regular insane u2 fan"(s) - so it ain't just pleba- or women! ;)

Souly said:

That's the one thing about U2 fans- I never got why there aren't numerous deep or thoughtful posts on the music or their theatrics or whatever. Anytime anyone on this board (like in EYKIW) asks a sincere question about symbolism the band uses or something, you immediately get 10 joke responses. :huh: Then you go to a Bruce board and find 10 introspective posts about U2 or a show someone attended. I don't quite get it. So I'd say, overall, introspection and other U2 stuff isn't exactly discussed intellectually or in abandon around here- makes sense other stuff comes to the forefront.

I guess I'd agree with LivLuvAndBootlegMusic about the "old pleba" being more witty, at least. But hey, if anyone doesn't like the new mode, change it or leave it. I can't say I've ever condoned the disdain some people give towards others around here.

oliveu2cm said:

That's the one thing about U2 fans- I never got why there aren't numerous deep or thoughtful posts on the music or their theatrics or whatever. Anytime anyone on this board (like in EYKIW) asks a sincere question about symbolism the band uses or something, you immediately get 10 joke responses. :huh: Then you go to a Bruce board and find 10 introspective posts about U2 or a show someone attended. I don't quite get it. So I'd say, overall, introspection and other U2 stuff isn't exactly discussed intellectually or in abandon around here- makes sense other stuff comes to the forefront.

I used to be on a LOT of U2 forums and enjoyed posting everywhere. But after a while it turns out that the majority of people either take their "U2 fan role" too seriously, or tend to forget the Internet is a virtual world. There was one forum I especially loved, the only one I saw where people were able to post cracking jokes and at the same time show they were interested in the musical and intellectual part of the band; unfortunately after some months people started arguing, and checking those places ended up being tiresome and quite enerving. I guess it's the same with every forum, at some point a group of people happen to post in the same ways as others and it creates a great atmosphere. Now I only visit a couple of places and keep my fingers crossed for them to stay as they are now, but I think every place changes at one moment or another, no matter who joins or not. Hmm I wrote a lot but I'm not sure I made my point...:uhoh:

oliveu2cm said:
I can't say I've ever condoned the disdain some people give towards others around here.

Disdain for others has become a sport and hobby for some people on Interference-that is the biggest turnoff for me in the entire place.

"You all" means all- so there's no "confusion" on my part. Just my humble opinion that a nicer way to go about things if you have issues with people, posts, PLEBA etc. is to take it up w/ the moderators, or Sicy.. whomever you choose.

That's all, I don't care to be ganged up on here or whatever.

U2Kitten said:
While some may joke on PLEBA and say it's scary and we're weird, it's much better to be here than on other parts of the forum where it's open season for the bullies, the cutting jokesters and other jerks who make sport of belittling others for their own pleasure, with their abuse disguised as 'humor.' I even saw a whole thread on don't expect, suggest devoted to how 'bad' this place is, well it's the only place I feel safe and welcome,and the only place where everyone is readily accepted as a friend and no one picks on anyone. We have a good time here, and it's a much nicer and better kind of fun than a lot of what I see happening in the OT forums. I may be the only person who's been here so long (nearly 5 years) without growing tired of the pics and the drooling and running off to other areas. This is the best part of the forum, and while it changes personalities from time to time as different groups of members become more active, it's always good, always happy, and always HOT. Anyone who doesn't like that doesn't have to click on this forum.

PLEBA & PLEBAns :hug: :bow: :up:

:hug: This is a lovely forum. We don't need anyone ruining it for us. We're harmless and just having a bit o' fun... so, thanx U2kitten...

I've been here for a long time now. Not long enough to remember the "old days" of pleba but long enough. After 3 1/2 years as a member and probably about a year as a lurker, I still don't remember the "old days" of pleba when anything goes. But I will say from the time I joined until now, Pleba has drastically changed. I find it to be a very frustrating and annoying place most days.

Most of the "newbies" really aren't so new anymore. It doesn't matter that maybe you've only been a member for a few months. If you have a high post count then you know how things work around here. Learn to search the forums for stuff you want to see. They should know that threads like "I have a question..." or "what do you think about this..." are a pain. Most of the things posted in those threads are about pictures that are pretty easy to find. If you are looking for a specific era all you have to do is scroll back a few pages and you'll probably find it. Example: We just had a band members and their families thread a few weeks ago. There's another one now with the same pictures being posted. Pleba has definitely gone from posting pictures of the band to 3/4 chat threads. You have to go through countless posts of the same comments by the same people about how hot so and so band member is. Most of the people doing the constant talking do not even contribute to the pictures. I'm not suggesting the threads go to pictures only and nothing else. Comment all you want about a picture but the chatting that goes on is out of hand. There are threads here for chatting. Picture threads are not the right place to do that. We know you think Bono is hot. Why do you have to keep going on and on in each thread?

This place has changed. A lot. There are several people on Interference that post in other areas now instead of Pleba because it's changed so much.

I think what some people dont seem to understand is that change is always going to happen. Online, in real life, its inevitable. Things will NEVER stay the same forever. You are always going to have new people coming in, forming their own friendships, and their own opinions, etc.

So you have to decide, either you still want to be a part of it, or you dont. It should be pretty simple.

Advah said:

I used to be on a LOT of U2 forums and enjoyed posting everywhere. But after a while it turns out that the majority of people either take their "U2 fan role" too seriously, or tend to forget the Internet is a virtual world. There was one forum I especially loved, the only one I saw where people were able to post cracking jokes and at the same time show they were interested in the musical and intellectual part of the band; unfortunately after some months people started arguing, and checking those places ended up being tiresome and quite enerving. I guess it's the same with every forum, at some point a group of people happen to post in the same ways as others and it creates a great atmosphere. Now I only visit a couple of places and keep my fingers crossed for them to stay as they are now, but I think every place changes at one moment or another, no matter who joins or not. Hmm I wrote a lot but I'm not sure I made my point...:uhoh:

Yeah, good point Advah. I haven't stumbled on that great environment in a while, so maybe that's why I get frustrated.

MrsSpringsteen said:

"You all" means all- so there's no "confusion" on my part.

Point. The majority of the people who this post was not directed to rarely post anymore, which is my reasoning for the "You all." So again, I'm sorry.

MrsSpringsteen said:

Just my humble opinion that a nicer way to go about things if you have issues with people, posts, PLEBA etc. is to take it up w/ the moderators, or Sicy.. whomever you choose.

Arw's post sums up nicely what I would have liked to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom