Yet another award for Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biff

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
They just keep coming. Enough already?

Lauren designated `Fashion Legend'

DESIGNERS BESTOW FIRST-TIME TITLE
By Samantha Critchell
Associated Press
Article Launched: 03/18/2007 01:45:36 AM PDT

NEW YORK - The Council of Fashion Designers of America will bestow its first-ever title of Fashion Legend to Ralph Lauren at the CFDA's 25th annual awards ceremony in June. The honor coincides with Lauren's 40th anniversary in the industry.

"No one deserves it more," said CFDA president Diane von Furstenberg at a cocktail reception at Rockefeller Center last week, where nominees and honorary award winners were announced.

The CFDA added in a statement: "His vision and innovation epitomizes American design excellence and continues to set the standard in fashion."

Emphasizing that Lauren is still a driving force, he is nominated in a competitive category, too. He is up against Italo Zucchelli for Calvin Klein, and Steven Cox and Daniel Silver for Duckie Brown as menswear designer of the year. He has been nominated for the men's award for the past six years, but he last won in 1996. In 1995, he was womens wear designer of the year.

This year's top choices for womens-wear designer are Oscar de la Renta, Proenza Schouler and Marc Jacobs. Jacobs was also nominated in the accessories category with Michael Kors and Derek Lam.

Through a spokesman, Kors joked that he felt like the "Susan Lucci" of the category with his fourth nomination, but he was "honored and pleased."

U2 front man and globe-trotting humanitarian Bono will receive the Board of Directors Special Tribute. U2 does indeed have ties to the fashion world. Bono helped his wife, Ali Hewson, and designer Rogan Gregory launch the collection Edun, which manufacturers its apparel in developing countries.

In the emerging talent categories, Phillip Lim, Kate and Laura Mulleavy for Rodarte, and Thakoon Panichgul were singled out for womens wear; Michael Bastian, Tim Hamilton, and David Neville and Marcus Wainwright of Rag & Bone for menswear; and Justin Giunta for Subversive, Jessie Randall for Loeffler Randall and Anna Sheffield for Bing Bang for accessories. The winners receive Swarovski Awards that include financial support from the crystal company.

The lifetime achievement award, which now will be called the Geoffrey Beene Lifetime Award to honor what von Furstenberg called Beene's "American excellency" and a $5 million gift from the late designer's estate, goes to Robert Lee Morris. It's the first time this honor was being given to an accessories designer.

This year's international award will go to Frenchman Pierre Cardin. Washington Post writer and Pulitzer Prize winner Robin Givhan will get the Eugenia Sheppard Award for journalism. The Eleanor Lambert award, which honors the broad category of "imagemakers," will be given to photographer Patrick Demarchelier.

The nominations are determined by anonymous ballots from fashion editors and writers, retailers, stylists and other designers. The awards ceremony, which usually attracts many Hollywood celebrities as presenters, is slated for June 4 at the New York Public Library.

Oh yeah! that's our man!

gosh...how many awards does he have?! I lost count. :wink:

Thanks for the info!

ramblin rose said:
that's actually pretty funny. it's almost like people just try a find a way to give awards to him. :wink:

If there was a chance he'd show up, I'd do it too :wink:

:lmao: Most wanted by PLEBAns award?

I don't mind that he gets rewarded for the things he does, but I agree he's been getting quite a lot lately and it would seem pretentious to the general public somehow...

has he gotten his knighthood yet btw?

biff said:

U2 front man and globe-trotting humanitarian Bono will receive the Board of Directors Special Tribute. U2 does indeed have ties to the fashion world. Bono helped his wife, Ali Hewson, and designer Rogan Gregory launch the collection Edun, which manufacturers its apparel in developing countries.

The awards ceremony, which usually attracts many Hollywood celebrities as presenters, is slated for June 4 at the New York Public Library.

I am so going to that :happy: :shifty:

u2rhfashionvictimsyr0.jpg

does U2s ties to the fashion world include this?

sorry I just wanted an excuse for that picture :reject:

Galeongirl said:
:lmao: Most wanted by PLEBAns award?

I don't mind that he gets rewarded for the things he does, but I agree he's been getting quite a lot lately and it would seem pretentious to the general public somehow...

has he gotten his knighthood yet btw?

Can we present it ??? :hyper: :shifty:

I've not heard anything, maybe it was done quietly ?? :shrug:

Jeannieco said:
^^^ :) I think they look really cool there considering what most of us wore in the 80's. OMG that decade was a mess.
But our boys look so cool. Love the JT era and Rattle and Hum.

I for one am certainly glad they never wore those enormous shorts that were hung off the ass. I mean really all you saw was butt crack and I don't care how sexy the guys were they looked just disgusting in those things. I tease my daughter about not having appreciation for a good ass as a result of those pants. I had to make her watch 70's TV shows to show her what a good pair of tight pants can do for a guy. :D

Dana

The people who make these selections must have been seriously drunk. I mean to give Bono a FASHION award. Come on, even to mention the name BONO in the same sentence with the word FASHION!
:lol:

bonocomet said:
I can't imagine Bono doing anything quietly. :happy:

Me either bonocomet. That's why I don't think I believe this either.
Really if Cindy Adams knew anything about Bono, she would know Jordan is not a Son: :| From her page Six article

SHHHHH BONO STUDIES HARVARD

BONO had a private tour of Harvard. Ireland's rock god does not plan any additional schooling, since he already knows enough math to tot up the millions he's made from U2. It's for one of his kids. He and wife Ali have four. Son Jordan, 16; Eve, 13; Elijah, 5; John Abraham, 3. He's a devoted father. Personally drives them to school. Takes them on tour with tutors. When he's away, calls home constantly. So, he just had a hush-hush tour of the university. Everyone's supposed to keep it quiet. Me, too. So don't tell anybody. Obviously, it's for one of his children, probably the eldest. Hey, listen, if that nice little school was good enough for wall-to-wall Kennedys, could be good enough for Jordan.

Make of it what you want.. but just sounds like gossip to me.

Maybe another look a like..possibly :wink:

edited: this is the link, but that was all there was about Bono.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/03192007/gossip/cindy/shhhhh_bono_studies_harvard_cindy_cindy_adams.htm

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom