WOOHOO!!! I am gonna see Bono!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TODAY IS THE DAY PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOHOOOOOO!!! IT IS FINALLY HERE!!! Looking forward to meeting everyone..

How about we all meet up at the hotel lobby before the talk...I plan on being down there around 2pm...I will go to the lobby first to see if anyone is hanging around..

See ya all there! :wave:

U2democrat said:
I'll probably be getting there between 7-7:30 (if the traffic isn't a problem...)

How come you are coming in then? Do you have to work? Hopefully traffic won't be too nightmareish.. Look forward to meeting you and the other interferencers! :wink:

I’m heading out for D.C. now, I was planning on going a bit later but I’m too excited. I should be getting there between 12:30 and 1, if any of you see a brown haired girl with a blue sweater on hanging around the lobby of the hotel please say hi :wave:

:wave:

If you see a short skinny (natural) blonde chick with glasses, that's me :hyper:

I'm leaving from school...which is in southeastern Virginia. It takes about 3 hours to get to DC (with good traffic), my last class ends at 3 and I'm going to have dinner at my roommate's house in northern virginia.

U2democrat said:
:wave:

If you see a short skinny (natural) blonde chick with glasses, that's me :hyper:

I'm leaving from school...which is in southeastern Virginia. It takes about 3 hours to get to DC (with good traffic), my last class ends at 3 and I'm going to have dinner at my roommate's house in northern virginia.

Where in Northern Viriginia?

I hope traffic will treat you well!!!

skjuls said:

Yes, I was at louisville, my avatar comes from that event!

hehe!

I do have some great pix but sadly I don't know where the negatives are.

Damn, why weren't digital cameras big back then.

These pix are in Kentucky and I won't be back there until Feb 23 so.........................you will have to wait in anticipation.

I can scan the pix so you can see them and then I can try and find the negatives. I also have some video of that nite. Front row center during American Prayer..............

oh my God, this would mean SO much to me! I've been looking for three years so what's another month? Like I said, I'm willing to pay for prints/negatives/video....whatever you've got!

Enjoy your trip everyone! hope you get a chance to meet him... well hearing him speak passionately is cool nuf tho!
if you meet him, say hi from us all here :D

tell him we love him tons and we support him in every single he does and will continue to!!! ps - tell him he is the best! :D

Well, just got back to the hotel (they've got computers in the restaurant).

Absolutely phenomenal speech. He mumbled a bit some of the time, so I didn't catch all of it. If anyone tracks down a transcript, please post it. And whoever said an earlier speech was life-changing, you're exactly right. Bono just makes you want to be a better person.

Did anyone get to meet him? We waited outside the post-speech reception, and they of course told us he was gone. But one girl (if you're a PLEBAn, sorry, I didn't catch your name) had seen him leave the hotel in a car. So close but no cigar.

Now for the long trainride home tomorrow.

The speech was good, but about half of it was from yesterday's prayer breakfast and/or Davos, etc. The Q & A was more enjoyable than the speech. Too many stiff suits in the audience though.

I should have brought my better camera - they weren't really checking. Some "VIPs" got to meet Bono in a conference room afterwards.

Got a crappy photo of him leaving:

Even though they said no cameras everyone brought theirs in..including me.. I got a few..but only 2 or 3 were any good I will post them later sunday...

Great speech...and damn it I should of stayed at that entrance where he left out of...:mad:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/04/AR2006020400002.html

Bono's Wonk-and-Roll
Humanitarian Rocker Hits Lecture Circuit

By Annie Gowen
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, February 4, 2006; Page C01

The title of Bono's $95-a-head speech to a group of association execs last night seemed intriguing, if a little annoying: "The Future in Front of Us: Living a More Involved Life."

The humanitarian and rock star's pep talk capped yet another visit to our nation's capital this week, which also included an appearance at the National Prayer Breakfast on Thursday, where he made a self-deprecating quip about his messianic tendencies and side-hugged President Bush on his way to the lectern. Now it was on to another only-in-Washington experience: a speech sponsored by an association that association leaders join to . . . associate. At the Hilton Washington, no less.

Okay, so it's one thing for Saint Bono to preach from the concert stage or snuggle with world leaders at the G-8 summit and in Davos, but to descend to the rubber-chicken circuit, even while charging a hefty speaker's fee? What does it portend?

Maybe after so many lobbying trips to the Hill, there wasn't anybody left to charm. Or his U2 band mate Larry Mullen's worst fears have been realized and Bono is running for "[expletive] president."

Before the speech, the line of the near-sellout crowd of 3,000 snaked out of the hotel and down Connecticut Avenue. Inside was the chaos of a rock concert -- discarded beer bottles left willy-nilly, lines for "Will Call" and the ladies' room.

When Bono arrived, he did not disappoint, dressed in his omnipresent wrap-around shades, rumpled blazer and a black shirt unbuttoned dangerously close to the navel area.

"I don't even tell the band I do this," he said after the first of three standing O's. "This is like Bono unhinged, not Bono unplugged."

The evening's sponsoring group, the American Society of Association Executives, has held this distinguished speaker lecture series for the past 12 years and hosted other big-name guests, such as Dr. Phil and Oprah, said Susan Sarfati, president of the ASAE's Center for Association Leadership.

Attendees were hoping for uplift. It's tough being an association exec these days -- can't get a lunch with Bush like some people and have to scrape by on an average $148,000 a year. Downtown parking alone can kill you.

"People are dying to meet him, dying to be seen with him or catch a glimpse of him. He's not your ordinary rock-and-roll star. He's reached legendary status," said Deb Fasano, 35, who works for the none-too-glamorous International Bridge, Tunnel and Turnpike Association.

In the past, the lecture series was open to the public and the press was invited, but Bono's reps at the Harry Walker Agency speaker's bureau decreed on Tuesday that it would be off the record. (Though we should feel free to buy one of those pricey tickets, organizers said.) The secret-briefing stuff was surprising, because Bono in his hour-long speech sounded familiar themes, about the need to give, pester our leaders and care, and not just in that moment of the opening chords of "One" but way after U2 has left the building and the roadies are breaking down the equipment.

Remember how he got everybody at MCI Center to text-message support for his poverty relief campaign and the darkened seats turned blue with phone light and the fans screeched in delight? It was like that last night, except tailored to the Jos. A. Bank crowd

Bono recalled how he first became interested in poverty in Africa and debt relief, when he and wife Ali spent a month working at an orphanage in Ethiopia after the Live Aid concert in 1985. And told a story of how his life was irrevocably changed when a man approached him on one of his last days in Africa and asked him to take his son home with him because in Ireland he would live.

"That's a feeling I can't quite forget, walking away from that man and that boy," Bono said.

He exhibited an easy familiarity with the inner workings of Washington, spawned by his months of shuttle diplomacy here.

"Antiviral drugs are a great advertisement for America," he said regarding another one of his passions, help for AIDS patients. "I said to President Bush, 'Paint them red, white and blue if you have to.' " There was something touching about the fact that Bono devoted his Friday night to a bunch of mid-level executives -- a few days before the Grammys and before U2 embarks on a lengthy tour of South America and Australia -- and he made it clear he did so because he thought it would be an efficient way to get out his message. Everybody at the lecture represents a bunch of other people, he said -- about 10,000 trade groups -- and exhorted them to sign up their members for his One Campaign. That involves a consortium, including Bread for the World, CARE and Bono's own DATA (Debt, AIDS, Trade, Africa), working to combat poverty.

But if the association execs were hoping for a 10-step plan to change the world that they could take home and zip into their Franklin Planners, they would come away empty-handed.

"Give us action items!" they begged him at the end, like the good little managers they are.

There wasn't much of that, but there was this:

"I didn't expect change to come so slowly," Bono said. He spoke with breaks, as if he were creating lyrics.

"It's a combination of our own indifference/and a Kafkaesque labyrinth of 'No's'/as people vanish down the corridors of democracy," he said.

"Those of you in this town/know what I'm talking about."

Even when he's wonking shop, Bono can still sing

Thank you for the interesting writeup! Unfortunately I didn't get to see the speech, but I did peek through the door (where the staff were congregating) and saw the screen with Bono at the podium. I could barely hear him though.

I went mostly to see other interferencers, which I did get to do, so it was all good. :)

Oh, and I drove home in the pitch dark. Still a newbie driver, so I'm proud of myself! :giggle:

Back
Top Bottom