WildHoney's sig & Bono's key to ever-lasting youth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Looking at WildHoney's sig, and assuming that all 4 pics are from the same night and recent (which looks to me to be true)....

Does Bono look a decade younger without his shades??? I'm occasionally a fan of them, but this photo series makes me want to never see him wear them again...:hmm:

(now we just need WildHoney to post here so everyone can see what I'm talking about...:wink: )

WildHoney's sig looks like this :wink:

WildHoneysig1.jpg
WildHoneysig2.jpg
WildHoneysig3.jpg
WildHoneysig4.jpg

Right? :uhoh:

Yep. Doesn't he look lightyears younger without the shades? He truly looks like Pop-era Bono, in the face as much as with the hair. Whereas in the 3rd shot with the shades, he looks so much older....the shades really widen his face.

Are the other three shots older pics (which I doubt), or should he just lose the shades for good?

Last edited:
Lose the shades and lose the beard and he looks much younger. The hair should be like BD or ES video - this is too short.

(also think Stuck european video, OOTS video compared to other ATYCLB/Bomb era videos)

U2girl said:
Lose the shades and lose the beard and he looks much younger. The hair should be like BD or ES video - this is too short.

(also think Stuck european video, OOTS video compared to other ATYCLB/Bomb era videos)

Totally agree.

:yes:

Utoo said:
Yep. Doesn't he look lightyears younger without the shades? He truly looks like Pop-era Bono, in the face as much as with the hair. Whereas in the 3rd shot with the shades, he looks so much older....the shades really widen his face.

Are the other three shots older pics (which I doubt), or should he just lose the shades for good?

they're from the same event :yes: and he should lose the shades :yes:

:drool: The return of PopBono..

I agree, I LOVE the shadeless Bono pictures.

But at the same time I know he will never get rid of the shades. We all know why he's wearing them, and honestly, I understand.

last unicorn said:
I agree, I LOVE the shadeless Bono pictures.

But at the same time I know he will never get rid of the shades. We all know why he's wearing them, and honestly, I understand.

I actually didn't quite get the protection explaination from him.

I have a pair of light purple sunglasses for the summer. I thought they are dark enough to cover me and provide a perfect protection. So one day I was on the train, and ohhoooo! A really good looking boy sat at the oposite seat. So, I keep staring at him for a while, and I found him started getting nervous. Then he looked me back, with protest in his eyes. Obviously, he found out what I was doing...:|

Looked at the mirror later that day myself, sunglasses couldn't hide anything, except these totally dark ones.

And Bono's shades are even lighter than the one I have....

Last edited:
last unicorn said:
If you take a really close look at Bono's right eye I think you will get the idea.

I know that. And recently it's not only the right one, the left one swell up too, if he didn't get a good rest, especially after a long distance flight.

U2girl said:

I agree :up: He doesn't even have to have the long hair, just scalp covering, comb-able HAIR instead of stubble that looks like five day old armpit growth. And the face scruff makes him look homeless. Either grow a full beard (like the Oscars pics) or shave it all off. The full head of dark hair, clean shaven face and no shades is a beautiful look for him.(OOTS, Stuck) I also think he'd need some botox, because if you look closely, he has very deep and puffy wrinkles under and around his eyes.

As for the shades being 'protection' I don't get it. First, Mr. LeMon tried them on and said they weren't prescription so that's out. If he wanted them for protection from sunlight, why does he always wear them indoors? I don't believe the concert lights hurt his eyes, because during Elevation he took them off after the third song and did the rest of the show without shades. I really think he's just wearing them as a gimmick or trademark, but for a guy who's so afraid of 'repeating himself' the shades look has more than run its course and become a parody of itself.

A year or two ago someone asked one of his kids if he wore them at home and drove them to school with them on and they said no. That must mean the shades have nothing to do with his eyes and everything to do with image and fashion in public. I heard somewhere once that he never took them off around photographers or the media, and all non shade pics of the last decade or so are fan pics taken when his guard was down. I believe that considering the pics I've seen. I also saw him say in an interview once that he wore the 'goggles' because reporters in the ZOO era hated the Fly shades so much and wanted him to take them off but he said he had 'worn them ever since' to spite the ones who hate them. But after all these years, even that excuse has worn out. Take them off!

Last edited:
I read something recently where Beyonce said she is nothing like the persona she is on stage. Perhaps Bono wears the glasses for the same reason, as a division between his public and his private life. Even though we think we know who he is in private perhaps the glasses are a kind of wall to help him deal with all of the attention.

U2Kitten said:

If he wanted them for protection from sunlight, why does he always wear them indoors?

(quoted partially because I'm only commenting on that particular point)

He has clearly stated that the flash from cameras hurt his eyes. Heck it hurts mine too. And we all know that just as many photos are taken of him indoors as outdoors, in fact, it makes MORE sense that he wears them indoors then, because more cameras would use the flash indoors then outdoors. It makes perfect sense to me :shrug:

U2girl said:

Yes, hair would be better :D :D :D :wink: :drool:

U2girl said:

I agree, except I'm OK with the hair this length. The BD/pre-ATYCLB hair is my favorite though. ES hair length is OK, but the style he wore was kinda....old, Ronald Reagan-ish. But I would take ANY hair length or style if he ditched the shades!

U2Kitten said:
As for the shades being 'protection' I don't get it. First, Mr. LeMon tried them on and said they weren't prescription so that's out. If he wanted them for protection from sunlight, why does he always wear them indoors? I don't believe the concert lights hurt his eyes, because during Elevation he took them off after the third song and did the rest of the show without shades. I really think he's just wearing them as a gimmick or trademark, but for a guy who's so afraid of 'repeating himself' the shades look has more than run its course and become a parody of itself.
Well, I could be wrong, but those expensive shades have UV protection, so they don't have to be prescription to protect his eyes. I have a pair similiar to the ones he wore early on in the Elevation era, they say right on the inside, UV400 and they do reduce glares from more than just the sun. :shrug:

U2Kitten said:
A year or two ago someone asked one of his kids if he wore them at home and drove them to school with them on and they said no.
I wouldn't see why he'd have to wear them at home or when he drove them to school because it's not like he's getting cameras shoved into his face like he does at public events, meetings, etc.

He does have that problem with his eyes though, I don't think that could be fake and he did say that it was partly for protection AND who he is.

Again, I could be wrong about it all, but that's just my viewpoint on things. :shrug:
I can see why however, if I am wrong about why he wears them otherwise if not for protection, that he would do it for appearance because they have essentially become who he is. It's like you ask someone about Bono and they'd go: "Oh, that guy with the shades." Well, from my personal experience anyway.

As much as I love and adore his shades, I'm growing a lot more fond of the idea of him just losing the shades. But it is all up to him. He does indeed look younger without them.

U2Kitten said:

He doesn't even have to have the long hair, just scalp covering, comb-able HAIR instead of stubble that looks like five day old armpit growth. And the face scruff makes him look homeless. Either grow a full beard (like the Oscars pics) or shave it all off.

:lol: at the armpit!

Ugh, I thought the Oscars beard really made him look like a homeless person. Really didn't suit the grand occasion.

Shave :yes: or keep it at the length of BD/ES video, and less than Vertigo DVD length. Too close to the homeless area.

No please don't shave, I LOVE the stubble, this is part of what makes Bono who he is. I am totally okay with all of his looks. As for the shades, I think he made it clear several times why he's wearing them. If I were as famous as him and would have cameras shoved into my face all the time, heck I'd wear them, too.

Liesje said:

ES hair length is OK, but the style he wore was kinda....old, Ronald Reagan-ish.

I really think that pompadour was just a piece :reject: he used to cover his bald spot. Hopefully he'd not use that again. I don't have any pics because my page went down due to poverty :sad: but if you look at the ones where he's meeting with the politicians in the brown suit you can see something strange poofing up on top of his head and it's not natural looking. Yeah, I'm saying this, and I used to get so upset about people calling him bald. Why? Because I knew he was, and I was so afraid he'd get tired of people pointing it out and making fun of it that he'd give up and shave his head. Well he already did that so I can say it now. I think he shaved it because he gave up on it.

U2girl said:

:lol: at the armpit!

That's exactly what his head looks like, especially when you can see the skin through it. Looks just like some woman's armpits in need of shaving. :no: When I see him now, that's all I can think of. :tsk:

Ugh, I thought the Oscars beard really made him look like a homeless person. Really didn't suit the grand occasion.

I'd prefer NO facial hair at all, it looks scummy on him. He looked hot with it when he was young, but now it makes him look like a real bum on a boxcar. But if he must have a beard a whole one would look less grungy than the stubble. Right now the stubble on his face and the stubble on his head are a double turnoff I can't stand to look at.

Shave :yes: or keep it at the length of BD/ES video, and less than Vertigo DVD length. Too close to the homeless area.

Yes, shave. While I have no problem with the Vertigo hair, I would be very happy with the BD or ES era look now! I also hope he has that look for the next album and tour. That's one look (the short but not shaved hair) that he's never had an 'era' for. Hear that, Bono? You can have a new and original look for the next 'era' that you haven't used before!;) AND NO SHADES!

Last edited:
last unicorn said:
No please don't shave, I LOVE the stubble, this is part of what makes Bono who he is. I am totally okay with all of his looks. As for the shades, I think he made it clear several times why he's wearing them. If I were as famous as him and would have cameras shoved into my face all the time, heck I'd wear them, too.

Ya, I agree, plus didn't he say somewhere that the shades are a barrier between himself and the public? I swear I read that somewhere. He wears them out in the public eye and then at home he takes them off. Unless he is walking down the beach with Ali, semi-public. :)

Serena Vox said:

Well, I could be wrong, but those expensive shades have UV protection, so they don't have to be prescription to protect his eyes. I have a pair similiar to the ones he wore early on in the Elevation era, they say right on the inside, UV400 and they do reduce glares from more than just the sun. :shrug:

Correct me if I got the scientific fact wrong, human can not SEE ultra violet. But it is correct that camera flashes do have high level UV, and consider he has blue eyes, they could be more sensitive than darker eyes.

U2Kitten said:

I would be very happy with the BD or ES era look now! I also hope he has that look for the next album and tour. That's one look (the short but not shaved hair) that he's never had an 'era' for. Hear that, Bono? You can have a new and original look for the next 'era' that you haven't used before!

Woldn't that be a repeat of that look though? :confused:

I think that the short Aussie Vertigo hair, add a few centimetres, just may be his new look...I also think Vertigo/Elevation was - luckily IMO - the last we've seen of his long and black dye hair. It hasn't really worked since Zoo TV.

i dont care how his hair looks , no hair, long hair, armpit head, beard, glasses or not the guy is a demi god. end of argument. can i get an amen ????

if not i will get back in my bono lined box and happily be quiet. :reject:

U2girl said:

Woldn't that be a repeat of that look though? :confused:

No because he's never gone on tour with it. He's only had it briefly at in between times. It would be a new look for a tour.

Seriously, why should Bono listen to what some fans have to say about the hairstyle they want him to have?
Pfft.
It's like somebody's telling me to wear my hair a certain way just becauste they like it more.
Honestly, I have always prefered to wear my hair or dress the way I feel comfortable with, even though some people say it sucks.
Bono surely has good reason to keep his hair short, he should do it the way he wants.
Why don't we focus more on his current political work and the state the world is in instead of pickering about his hair?

U2Kitten said:
While I have no problem with the Vertigo hair, I would be very happy with the BD or ES era look now! I also hope he has that look for the next album and tour. That's one look (the short but not shaved hair) that he's never had an 'era' for. Hear that, Bono? You can have a new and original look for the next 'era' that you haven't used before!;) AND NO SHADES!

You are really talented in contradicting yourself aren't you? :hmm: first you say you are happy with the hairstyle of the BD or ES era and then you say it's one look he's never had an era for...
yes he hasn't been on tour with the short hair, but isn't the period inbetween tours an era aswell?
In my opinion it is..

that said, I liked the ES hair a lot, it's my 2nd fave length on Bono...

thankyou said:
Bono, just to p*** everybody off, bring back the mullet.

:wink:

:drool: :applaud:

win!

srsly, would be awesome if he did :lmao: but I guess he hates it too much himself!

Back
Top Bottom