Why We Love U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

last unicorn

Blue Crack Addict
I am starting a new thread here because I feel that there has been a little too much negativity on this board recently, and, sickening enough, too much bashing of the band going on, especially regarding the announcement of a new "Best Of"-release. Maybe we can collect some positive statements here, your pictures, feelings, thoughts, whatever, anything that you like and love about those guys, about the great things they have done and still continue to do, just to turn the atmosphere around a little bit. Thanx a lot.

I'll start with music. The band is so versatile, changing from one album to the next. It amuses me when I hear people say they don't like U2. I always wonder which U2 they're referring to, because unless you hate ALL rock, then how can you hate U2? They're practically every kind of rock!

When I think about my favourite U2 songs, I realize that even those favourites are all quite different from one another. That just goes to show that I appreciate every sound in its own way.

Gone: A song full of screaming guitar, and bitter vocals. This song is angst. This song is incredibly sad.

Zooropa: It starts out ethereal, a trip through (purple) space. And then it crashes in and becomes something else. This song is so optimistic. So joyous. Don't worry baby, it'll be alright.

Running to Stand Still: This song is barely there at all, musically anyway. It starts out with just that twangy guitar, and ends with a harmonica. Running to Stand Still starts out in hopelessness, gains some insight, and then fades away. It's almost like a lullaby, albeit a very disturbing one.
(And I've talked about my love for this song three times, in three different places, over the last 28 hours).

It just goes on from there. Aside from Edge's characteristic chiming guitar, and Bono's "usual" voice, I don't see how anyone can really say that U2 have a "sound". Putting songs like The Refugee, Trip Through Your Wires, God Part II, Zoo Station, and Miami side by side, you'd hardly imagine they were all by the same band at all. Simply amazing.

I agree with DreamOutLoud13 statement about U2s music being versatile! One of the many reasons why I love U2 is coz they never cease me amaze me with their diversity. You never know what the next album or even single will end up sounding like!

And even though their very modest about their own abilities, I think they've all developed into brilliant musicians. And Bono is an amazing singer, who can belt out a good old fahioned rock 'n roll song or croon along with the likes of Tony Bennet. There aren't many rock singers around today who can claim to do the same!

And let's not forget how well they've all aged! :wink: I've been a U2 for nearly 19 years now and have grown old with them!! I'm sure I don't need to go into how gorgeous they all are, this is Pleba after all and I'm sure many of you know who my favourite member of the band is?!? :sexywink: But just in case anyone is in any doubt....

bonoatarmani3.jpg

:drool: :combust: :faint:

Last edited:
For me,
It's first their faith. They've always been completely unashamed to admit what they believed (at least 3 of them, and from what I understand Adam is now a Believer too), but I love the fact that they refuse to let religion define them. In my opinion, and I may be paraphrasing Bono here, Religion is what happens when we kick God out of our faith and decide we're our own Savior and Judge. God Bless them for the way He's used them in my life and many others. The music is amazing: Each album is different and yet brilliant. Bono is the most brilliant lyricist I've ever heard of, and his voice is amazing. Edge, Adam, and Larry can play the heck out of their respective instruments. The music adds even more depth and intensity, and it makes them the greatest band of all time, IMO. There never has been and never will be a band like U2!!!!!

Currently Listening: Album/Artist-BOY/U2
Song: "I Will Follow"

"What no man can own...No man can take.": Yahweh-U2

I cant really explain what it is about U2 that i love. Obviously their music but there is so much more to them than that. All i know is their music and the thought of seeing them on tour etc has got me through some really tough times.

If I have to pinpoint it down it's about how they make me feel through their songs (their sound as much as their words). And of all singers to deliver their lyrics and messages, no-one can do it like Bono. I think it's because, like he says in his own words "he takes off". He gives his all in his songs, and we can feel it. During his performances he truly makes us feel like we can be "one".

I also love the feel of what their intentions are behind their lyrics. They are very honest, even at times directly pointing out what is wrong with the world, but have an uplifting message. You never leave a concert without feeling that you can always do more with your life. I don't know. It's somewhat hard to explain. Hope I made sense.

Last edited:
This is what I told the radio station over here in an email:

Hi,
I think what's great abut U2 is their ability to be there for eachother, supporting one another through rough times in thirthy years time.
Everyone in the band at sometime during these thirty years, had had troubles of different kinds. Despite this fact, all of the original members remain in the band today.

Further on, it's not bad to have a band who's trying to reinvent themselves
and are not afraid of challenges.

Look at Rattle & Hum and Achtung Baby for example.
The sound they had during these two eras is completely different from eachother.

That helped U2 getting more fans as time went.

Sometimes they've actually been before their time.
I'm thinking of POP for example which was a record that many fans didn't appreciate, including me.
But it has grown on me since the first time I heard it.

At the moment they're working together with Rick Rubin and it's interesting to see what will come out of those sessions

I watched U2 live for the first time when I was twelve years old and the feeling I got that night, is still with me!

//Simon

That's basically what I love about U2.
But it's obviously much more than what fits in a single e-mail to a radio station, isn't it?

"Love is big, bigger than us"
- Just think about that for a minute. ;)

No subject is to grand to be part of U2's music.
Politics, religion, love, hatred, envy etc.
And there's something special about their music because it can be associated to any moment or memory or feeling.

Like Bono told the CBS 60-minutes guy:
"It's like getting air-borne."
I feel like that hearing Streets, and a lot of other songs too.

That was my contribution for this thread, thank you for taking the time to reading it through.

Thank you for these beautiful answers and statements. Makes me feel so much better to be a part of this community. I think it's great to wake up every morning into a world where the guys of this great band are existing and continue to do their work, to be an inspiration for so many people and touch so many lives.
I can definitly relate to everything that has been written here.

Back
Top Bottom