Why do you love U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is difficult to put into words why I like them. They were one of the first bands I really got into when I was about 14 and I still love them 14 years later!. I guess I have grown up with them and their music has been a part of my life ever since:)

Plus they are one of the only bands where I have naughty thoughts about the drummer!:combust:

I love U2 because......
1. They have great music that does not seem to become out dated!!! That is fecking AWESOME:rockon:
2. Adam Clayton :drool: with his fine ass:love:
3. Bono and his noble efforts to help those in need, what a good man.:up:
4. Edge and Larry are damn good at what they do!!:rockon:

5. There shows/concerts are AMAZING!!!:applaud:

So those are my top five reasons I could come up with alot more but , I don't want to be a :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

Their music is so inspiring. It fills me with joy every time I listen to it. It doesn't hurt that their singer is absolutely gorgeous and indescribably sexy. :drool: :drool: :drool: :censored: :censored: :censored:

phoebesmellycat said:
I love them for many reasons, but the major one being that they helped me fight against anorexia. What happened is my brother ( I'll never thank him enough for that) forced me to go to the popmart show in paris with him at a time when I was sick, skinny, and would saty at home all day long ( I would even go to bed at 6pm sometimes, I had no will to live at all). When the show started I was taken to another time , another place;) :rolleyes: and every word Bono sang hit me , every note they played made me realize there was still beauty in this world, and that most importantly life was worth living and fighting for!!!! i spent the following months listening to U2 and I slowly recovered.
So thanks U2!!!!!!:hug:

:rockon: :hug:

They touch us all in deep places...

I like U2 because their music is timeless, they have amazing concerts, they're aren't assholes like so many other celebrities, if they hadn't writen walk on i might never have servived grade 11, just about the first time I heard streets i knew i had to learn to play guitar like that, and thier guitarist is sexy :wink:

If I hadn't been a fan of U2 for many years and watched countless interviews with them, then I might not have recognized my future husbands accent the night I met him- which impressed him greatly, which impelled him to offer to buy me a drink, which impelled me to accept and go home hours later and tell my mom "I met the guy I'm gonna marry tonight! AND HE'S FROM IRELAND!"
That night was 12 years ago last friday!

Over the years, lots more things have happened to make me realize why they have pretty much always been my favorite band. My husband and I fell in love to the song Stay- and when I had to go back to the US after living in Ireland with him for 3 months it was all we listened to before I left. We danced to All I Want Is You at our reception. I lost my dad not long after Bono lost his and SYCMIOYO doesn't just describe him and his dad, but me and my dad as well. I can't listen to it without crying. The night I saw them in Minneapolis, Bono took his shades off and sang the first 1/2 of the song right there in front of me on the catwalk. I just cried and cried and cried. I KNEW my dad had a hand in our getting those seats and in Bono singing that very song RIGHT THERE in front of me. I felt close to my dad for the first time since he died. It was almost a religious experience and I will never forget it. He is still with me.

U2 are hands down the best. Always have been, always will be.

Sorry for writing a book folks.

Last edited:
I got into U2 at the age of 13 by simply living in Dublin. The Joshua Tree had exploded into the world and myself and my school mates and everyone else in Ireland for that matter were so proud and excited that these four lads from Dublin had set the world alight. U2's music has been the soundtrack to all the experiences I have gone through in my life so they have always been right by my side. The hugh contrast between Rattle and Hum and Achtung Baby was just one of the examples that these were four men on a 'musical journey' with no 'reverse gears'... that was one of the great prizes to have as a fan... you never knew what the next album was going to be like, they kept you on your toes, challenged you as a listener... a hugh international rock band with balls big enough to take chances and push the envelope. How cool is that!

But simply their music has a 'highness' to it, it takes you to another emotional place, their music is spiritual, joyous and sexy all at the same time and even though Bono is the biggest rock star in the world when you listen to him singing there is that intimacy, that personal connection. Bono once said that it's easy to make melancholic music but the real challenge is to make music full of joy. Well for me they’ve met that challenge.

:wave: Thanks for listening!

longingforBono said:
If I hadn't been a fan of U2 for many years and watched countless interviews with them, then I might not have recognized my future husbands accent the night I met him- which impressed him greatly, which impelled him to offer to buy me a drink, which impelled me to accept and go home hours later and tell my mom "I met the guy I'm gonna marry tonight! AND HE'S FROM IRELAND!"
That night was 12 years ago last friday!

Over the years, lots more things have happened to make me realize why they have pretty much always been my favorite band. My husband and I fell in love to the song Stay- and when I had to go back to the US after living in Ireland with him for 3 months it was all we listened to before I left. We danced to All I Want Is You at our reception. I lost my dad not long after Bono lost his and SYCMIOYO doesn't just describe him and his dad, but me and my dad as well. I can't listen to it without crying. The night I saw them in Minneapolis, Bono took his shades off and sang the first 1/2 of the song right there in front of me on the catwalk. I just cried and cried and cried. I KNEW my dad had a hand in our getting those seats and in Bono singing that very song RIGHT THERE in front of me. I felt close to my dad for the first time since he died. It was almost a religious experience and I will never forget it. He is still with me.

U2 are hands down the best. Always have been, always will be.

Sorry for writing a book folks.

That's reallly beautiful. See, U2 is just amazing, the way they touch people. It makes me happy to know U2 has helped you :hug:

For me... I remember someone asked me once why I liked U2, and I couldn't answer. It's simply a fact. It's a part of who I am that will never disappear. When I first heard the song Discotheque in third grade, U2 became my new favourite band. They have remained my favourite band to this day. U2 is the first band I truly loved and they've been there for me since childhood. No matter what, the music will always be there for me, and music is my life. In fact, I'd say in some form or another U2 basically defined my taste in music. But they've also defined me. I make my obsession obvious - posters all over my room, U2 iPod, and I'm not afraid to say that Bono is the sexiest motherfucker on the planet no matter how many times my friends say "but he's OLD!" The fact is, U2 makes me happy. Their music can fit all moods... Always has given me a feeling of incredible elation. The Fly makes me want to rock out and make love to the whole world just because it's that fucking awesome. Mercy has made me feel possibly the calmest I've ever felt in my life. I've listened to Love is Blindness and just sobbed. I've listened to One and had things suddenly make sense. Acrobat...now there's a song. That song channels my rage and my angst and my entire being and sends it all back into me through my ears. And those are just some examples! Then there's the complete albums... they take me to another place, really - "a musical journey."

There's also the band members themselves - four sexy, funny, talented, offbeat, and genuinely nice people. It amazes me that they're still together and best friends after 29 years, but then again, would you expect any less from them? Despite all this they're very human and actually very humble (yes, even Bono). And I like their accents :wink: Probably one of the best things about U2 is their connection to the fans and their mindblowing live shows. Seeing U2 live is a spiritual experience. And, you know, they play good and stuff.

There are plenty more reasons to like U2, but in the end for me it comes down to the music itself. For me there is nothing better.

Ever since this thread began, I've been trying to think of a short way to put into words what I feel about this great bunch of men, but I don't think it can be done.

I've liked U2 since "Boy" and "October", but for many years was never lucky enough to go to one of their shows--almost did in the early 90s, but didn't make it. In 2001 when the Notre Dame show was announced as part of the Elevation tour, my sister swandiver and I were both lucky enough to score a pair of tickets through Ticketmaster. We tried to talk our other sister (ewings) and our brother into going, but they declined (they finally made it to some Chicago shows this year :wink: ).

We had just been though a very rough summer. Our mother had heart surgery in June, which went horribly wrong. She hung on for a month before leaving us. "Walk On" and "Stuck in a Moment" were getting a lot of radio play during that time, and invariably I would hear one of them on the way to or from the hospital. Not terribly long after she passed, Bono lost his father. Then came 9/11, which was so emotionally devasting for the U.S.

So less than a month after 9/11, that's how this middle-aged woman (who still feels 20 inside) found herself at her first U2 show. U2 "ministered" to me when I needed it most. If you hear that show, you can't miss the "Amen!" And the "What can I give back to God for the blessings he pours down" intro to "Streets." And the "take you to church . . . that's right . . . we're *in* a church" during "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For." (Please correct me if I'm wrong on that last song.)

I've never been a really religious "churchy" person (though I am a believer), but I have to say that U2 gave me back my faith, which had been AWOL for several years. Now, when I'm feeling down, "Beautiful Day" brightens me considerably. When I hear Edge's chiming guitar that I know is the lead-in to "Streets", I just want to jump up and down and cheer. There is something very liberating about singing and dancing and laughing and crying and screaming and hollering during a show, and no one else thinks anything about it, because they are doing the same thing! I sing along at the top of my voice in my car on the way to and from work.

Bono, Adam, Edge, and Larry are beautiful people; and I am proud to say that I'm one of the tribe.

Last edited:
I'm trying to think of a good reason why I love this band so much...but it's so hard to describe this feeling....the feeling of whole heartness and pure joy and love for four guys that write amazing songs...play amazing and give back to the fans.

I mean...I found out about them on my own....not through a radio station and not from someone else....on my own....and I was amazed at four friends and their ability to do good to the world.

I can't even think about how they perfom live...they are awesome live...as my dad told me recently...they are one of the few bands to perfom BETTER than their albums....and that's saying alot.

I love them for who they are....and they have help me do better with myself....I can't even think of ways to say "Thank you" to the members of U2.

On a slightly different note.....their songs change my life...for the better....I can't think of songs like Mircle Drug without thinking of my parents...you see...both of my parents are sick...even more so with my mom. She had a kidney transplant in the late 70's...chronic bronchisis, a hearnia, some form of eye surgery and Bipolar. It's amazing to see that's she is still alive for so many years. I cannot thank the members of U2 enough to give me the strength to deal with my mom being ill like that.

And it doesn't hurt that these guys are totally sexy....I think they are one of the few bands to look better and better with age really...:drool:

Overall...I love these guys for their heart, soul and and determination...Thank you guys for making me a believer and a fan :hug: :heart: :bono: :edge: :adam: :larry: :heart: :hug:

U2 music speaks to me in a way that no one else even comes close. Their message of Love and Peace and the joy of their music feels my heart and purifies my soul. :heart:

And coz Bonos soooo HOT!!!:combust: :bow: :bono: :drool:

Oh wow. I just finished the watching The Green Mile, so I'm already all emotional, and then I come here and you ask me "Why do I love U2?"

I can't tell touching stories like some people here, all I can say is that somehow U2 has changed my life. When I look back on that last few months, I cannot believe how different everything would be, if I hadn't gone to that concert in May. Our Irish boys...look what they do to us! I love em. I couldn't really articulate it, but it's there.

There are way too many reasons to love U2. I guess I better just start listing mine!

I discovered U2 when I was about 13. Granted, that wasn't that long ago (I'm 15 now), but since then, the music has become ingrained into my life, years later, when I look back, I know I'll be re-living those memories, and I'll see myself with headphones over my ears, staring out the window of the car and just getting lost in the music.

U2 has a song for everything, and they really have become the soundtrack to my life. They gave me actual music "taste", before that I had never discovered real talent. I never expected an album to have more than 3 or 4 good songs on it tops. U2 opened me up to a world where every album was absolutely perfect, some of the songs just had to grow on you until you learned to love the songs at the end of the album more than the singles.

I discovered U2 with All That You Can't Leave Behind, and I haven't been back since. U2 is something I'll never leave behind. I can never tire of those tracks. They just leave me craving more.

My little story of how they helped me in my life: My family listened to All That You Can't Leave Behind and The Joshua Tree constantly in the months after my brother died. I know it would've been harder for me to get through his death without some music to comfort me. They helped fill an empty spot.

U2 is sincere. They're not just experimenting and churning out music because they think it will appeal to a big audience. They're expressing emotion, and you can hear it any beat, chord, lyric and soaring crescendo. I can recite any U2 lyric at any time because they have meaning. I listened to some N' Sync songs countless times when I was little, but do you think I remember any of that stuff now?

U2 the men:

Bono is the sexiest lead singer to ever live. Bono just emanates sex in everything he does. When you listen to the music it's like he's right there, I love that. He cares about world issues when that's usually the last thing on people's minds. He is grateful for what he has been given. And he uses what he's been given, he doesn't waste his talent or his fame. Bono is amazing in every sense of the word.

I've got to say it again, U2 are sincere. They don't look at their fans as some faceless mass. They look at the individuals and give back to them for everything we've provided them with. It's a mutual relationship. I got a chance to meet Bono and The Edge back in April, they are truly nice guys. I've heard the same for Adam and Larry.

Larry is my inspiration as a drummer, not to mention pretty hot himself. The Edge is in fact, a card-carrying genius. The Edge gives U2 a lot of their uniqueness. I've gotta give Adam his props too, the band wouldn't be the same without him. U2 just fit together perfectly, they aren't just a cleverly assembled group of solo artists, they're a band in every sense of the word.

U2 makes me a happier person. I normally would avoid shouting to the rooftops that my favorite band was U2 (they're not exactly considered "cool" by many where I go to school), but you know what? I don't care. Everybody I know, I make sure they know just how much I love these guys. I know they're great, that's enough. I'm proud to wear my U2 shirts.

Seeing them live IS a life-changing experience. They live live. It's true. I was expecting the sound to be a little less than the albums, but it's just more powerful. I was jumping around and screaming and singing and grinning like an idiot when I saw them (the best day of my life). If you knew me, that would be a statement. I'm usually a very calm person. VERY CALM. I could never, ever be a cheerleader. But get me around a U2 show, and I'm a complete nut. U2 gets me higher than any drug ever could.

Sorry for writing a book, but that's how much U2 means to me. I could write about them forever and never tire. They never cease to completly blow me away.

Back
Top Bottom