When did this happen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RavenStar

Refugee
From the book BONO IN HIS OWN WORDS:
"There was a night in L.A. in the early part of the tour when we had a death threat that the police were taking very seriously indeed. Someone had sent the gun license into the U2 offices and they thought he had gotten into the venue. All of a sudden there were all these people on the stage which I really objected to. I never thought that sort of thing would bother me and, when I went out, it didn't. I just laughed it off, like The Blues Brothers - 'We're on a mission from God and we ain't finished yet.'
The second night came up and the cops came up to us just before we were about to go on and said they'd made a mistake, He was coming tonight! "Now we get all kinds of racist jibes because we wrote a song for
Martin Luther King, or pinko jibes because we did the Amnesty International Tour. Wherever you look we're a target for the loony fringe. So the second night, we're on stage and I'm singing 'Pride' thinking, 'If someone is going to do it it will be during this number.'

So I crouched down on the stage, shut my eyes and for a moment the thought of death crossed my mind. When I looked up I just saw Adam standing over me, between me and the crowd. It was a good, good moment."

do any of you know what year/date this happened on?

------------------
Please,
Evil
Acts
Can
End

I've read about that before, and it scares me. Bono is such a good man, and involved in so many different things. I worry about him sometimes!!

I would love to know more too!!

Yeah that is scary. Good man Adam though! Very selfless of him to do that for Bono.

------------------
"It's all about drums."

Proud owner of the mofoin Discoboos (boom cha!) and Larry's stick...hehe.

Whether you love me or hate me you can still email me: clarityat3am@hotmail.com

It is kinda scary! I still wish I knew when it happened

------------------
Please,
Evil
Acts
Can
End

Swooooooon!!Adam protected him!!! They are brothers, not just band members.

I love em!!!!! Ok, enough gushing.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Work like you don't need to
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like no one is watching

Yeah I think i read that in Flanagan's Bible...That's a really courageous thing Adam doing that y'know....Putting his life on the line for Bono...

------------------
b0280.gif

THE Larry Mullen Jr Page

[This message has been edited by Mullen-Girl (edited 01-31-2002).]

That's one of my very favorite U2 stories ( well, the part about Adam kind of protecting him, anyway). It was during the JT tour, but I don't know the date.

------------------
"... move on this moment... follow this feeling"
~* PLEBA-girl powers: ELEVATE!!! *~

Not to sound morose, but I am surprised we don't hear about these kind of things more often. I mena, Bono and the boys havee made soem pretty bold statements on issues like race relations, Northern Ireland, the whole Mothers of the Disappeared in El Salvador, Ang San Su Kyi (geez, I hoper that's spelled right), Sarajevo ... the list goes on an on. It makes them a very easy target for wackos.

Please don't flame me for saying this ... one of the reasons I love U2 is their willingness to make these statements. All I am saying is that maybe these threats are more common than we think.

------------------
Jessica

"I turn slightly and catch Bono with half a Perrier bottle in his mouth. He's sucking the thing in such a manner it would put Madonna to shame!"

"I'm very secure with the fact that I'm not black. I'm white, pink and rosy. But I've got soul."
--Bono

?We make music you can have sex to.?
--Bono

"Girls boys listen me kiss love fun drink sick kiss cuddle sex swim sea rock and rub." (from the gates of Bono's house)

All of this makes me think to say a hefty prayer on Sunday while our Boys play the world stage.

Even if the media and government say that the SuperBowl will be the safest place in America on Sunday - a prayer could never hurt.

Originally posted by HelloAngel:
All of this makes me think to say a hefty prayer on Sunday while our Boys play the world stage.

Even if the media and government say that the SuperBowl will be the safest place in America on Sunday - a prayer could never hurt.

Good idea. I seriously never thought of that before.

Originally posted by JessicaAnn:
Not to sound morose, but I am surprised we don't hear about these kind of things more often. I mena, Bono and the boys havee made soem pretty bold statements on issues like race relations, Northern Ireland, the whole Mothers of the Disappeared in El Salvador, Ang San Su Kyi (geez, I hoper that's spelled right), Sarajevo ... the list goes on an on. It makes them a very easy target for wackos.

Please don't flame me for saying this ... one of the reasons I love U2 is their willingness to make these statements. All I am saying is that maybe these threats are more common than we think.

yeah, i have to agree with you on that. I wouldn't be surprised if there were more out there. It really is a shame when people put their heart out for peace and than have to deal with ignorance that results in having your life being threaten. But that is why I love this band so much. They wear their hearts on their sleeves fully aware of the anger and controversy it may cause where most people are scared to say something or do something about it.

Originally posted by Mrs.Clayton:
Good idea. I seriously never thought of that before.

1. I LOVE YOU FOR THIS STORY ADAM!
smile.gif
::swoon::

2. Good call, I'll be praying.
smile.gif

SD (who has also been praying for Pearl, that journalist in Pakistan, a lot lately....)

------------------
You don't have to be Henry Kissenger to figure out that a more prosperous world is a more secure world; a more educated world is a more tolerant world; and a more healthy world is a more stable world, and I think that would be a fitting memorial to those who lost their lives on Sept. 11th. ~Bono on Leno, Thanksgiving 2001

Originally posted by JennyBean:
I read that quote on Olive's website, so she might know when it's from. Or the date might be listed if you want to check. http://www.u2takemehigher.com
~Jen

I don't have the date listed! eeks! has someone been messin around w/ my site?
wink.gif
i'm usually good about getting dates/sources... i'll see if I can find it - but it won't be til later on. i think it was in the south-west somewhere tho
smile.gif

------------------
I need something strong to distract my mind
I'm gonna look at you 'til my eyes go blind

Take Me...Higher
Macphisto: Try A Taste Of Martini

"The way I might look at you" ~Adam

Back
Top Bottom