whats bono like in person?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenslimer

The Fly
My friend Roberta (who's been a fan longer than me) and I are wondering if anyone here has ever met Bono in person? If so, what's he like?

Anyways, from what I have heard... Bono is a really nice, down to earth guy and most everyone whos met him, fans or otherwise, have found him to be so... and not to be rude or stuck up like some other people in his field. Unless, of course... something (usually justified) warranted him to be so...

I have never met Bono or any of the other members of U2... but have seem them a few times live. Which were excellent times indeed.

So, I am curious... who here has ever met Bono, or known anyone who has? And what's he like? I would love to hear some stories. Honest ones, of course.

I tend to every now and then hear things online about him being an asshole, so I guess this is regarding to his political views and other such stances?

Last edited:
My wife met him outside their studio in Dublin while they were mixing Electrical Storm. He was real candid, well dressed, and had a hard time getting his car into the studio garage. Larry's drum tech had to come out and park it for him. The best part was he recognized my wife, asking "what are you doing here?". She saw 28 shows on the Elevation tour and met him a few times after shows and only had one actually conversation with him about the extra verse of With or Without You. He had forgotten about it, and my wife and her friends told him to watch Rattle and Hum. They performed the extra verse that night. Bono is surprisingly electric. You can't exactly put your finger on it. It is more than the "rock star thing". Eddie Vedder also has it.

Adam seems to be most congenial. They are all charming however, just depends on when and where you catch them.

I had a great experience meeting Larry after an Anaheim show. He signed at 2 in the morning for about 10 minutes, took pictures with as many as wanted them, and then asked if every one was happy...then got back in his car.

cmb737 said:
She saw 28 shows on the Elevation tour and met him a few times after shows and only had one actually conversation with him about the extra verse of With or Without You. He had forgotten about it, and my wife and her friends told him to watch Rattle and Hum. They performed the extra verse that night.

Please tell you wife thank you for that :)

I love the extra verse part and loved when he started adding it again on the Elevation tour (I only saw one show, but have a number of bootlegs).

I met Bono and Edge during the Pop Mart Tour in Boston. Both were so nice...........smiling and chatting with everyone. They gave everyone a chance to take pictures. So, yes, to me they did seem like truely down-to-earth guys who enjoy seeing and talking with the fans.......even at 4:30 in the morning. This was the time that we met them. I can remember my sister-in-law fell asleep on the couch in the lobby. The "Body Guards" for the guys were egging them on to wrap things up.....and so they did. When Bono walked past my sister-in-law (who was the only person inside the hotel lobby at the time), I can still picture Bono
tilting his face to see if she was awake....but their people told him
"no, Bono........this way"........and had him off in a second. Hence, my sister-in-law didn't meet him, but he sure saw her.......LOL
And Edge was "beaming" that night........seemed really happy, chatty and just wanting to hang out with the fans. I'd like to do it again.....but you never know what time their going to come back from the gig to the hotel. 4:30 am is early, or late if you've been up all night. How do they do it?:wink:

I met Bono in a empty backstage hallway in Toronto in 1985 - Back then he was extremely nice but very shy - it seemed he knew they were on the verge of greatness but was a little worried about it all. I met him again at the Whitney Hotel in Minniapolis in the fall of 1987 - they had then reached a certain "greatness" and he seemed much more relaxed about it - I actually met the whole band at the hotel - it was a really cool meeting of about 25 people and the band - it lasted about 20 minutes. At the beginning it was all of us standing across the street from the hotel - a van pulled up and out came Larry - he crossed the street to come and say hi - he was followed by Adam and The Edge who all came across to chat with us - then Bono pulled up and waved us all back into the hotel lobby - a very cool and memorable night.

He is great! Very, very funny! Adam is super cool too. My stories are in the band meetings forum :D someone on this board.

Bono is charming sweet and:drool: :drool: :drool: !!!
Just cant get enough of the man!!:wink:

Adam is super super cool and very charming and Edge and Larry are sweethearts!!

I love em all!!:wink:

I love all of them......but...............BONO
.............yeah, he's special: very charismatic, sweet :heart:,
friendly :hug: , very down to earth, is more friendly than you could ever dreamt of,
smells like heaven (B).........and last but not least......he's the sexiest man in the Universe !!!!!
I just LOVE the man !!!!:drool: :drool:

Last edited:
cmb737 said:
She saw 28 shows on the Elevation tour and met him a few times after shows and only had one actually conversation with him about the extra verse of With or Without You. He had forgotten about it, and my wife and her friends told him to watch Rattle and Hum. They performed the extra verse that night.

:ohmy: East Rutherford, NJ, June 22 2001: the crowd sang the "Wo-oh-oh-oh"s while Bono sang the extra verse, and it's the most spine-tingling, hair-raising, drop-dead sublime thing I've ever heard. Your wife is my hero. :bow:

U2junkie said:
I met Bono and Edge during the Pop Mart Tour in Boston. Both were so nice...........smiling and chatting with everyone. They gave everyone a chance to take pictures. So, yes, to me they did seem like truely down-to-earth guys who enjoy seeing and talking with the fans.......even at 4:30 in the morning. This was the time that we met them. I can remember my sister-in-law fell asleep on the couch in the lobby. The "Body Guards" for the guys were egging them on to wrap things up.....and so they did. When Bono walked past my sister-in-law (who was the only person inside the hotel lobby at the time), I can still picture Bono
tilting his face to see if she was awake....but their people told him
"no, Bono........this way"........and had him off in a second. Hence, my sister-in-law didn't meet him, but he sure saw her.......LOL
And Edge was "beaming" that night........seemed really happy, chatty and just wanting to hang out with the fans. I'd like to do it again.....but you never know what time their going to come back from the gig to the hotel. 4:30 am is early, or late if you've been up all night. How do they do it?:wink:

aww :cute:

I can totally picture Bono tilting his head to look at your sleeping sister-in-law :lol:

Ancalagon said:

:ohmy: East Rutherford, NJ, June 22 2001: the crowd sang the "Wo-oh-oh-oh"s while Bono sang the extra verse, and it's the most spine-tingling, hair-raising, drop-dead sublime thing I've ever heard. Your wife is my hero. :bow:

Hey Ancalagon,,,,you sure do have a large brain to retain all that show info,,,,,or do you have a whole collection of interviews and tour reports at yer finrger tips?! lol :wink:

Hehe. That was a show to remember, partygirl2u, and as it happens the bootleg is on my desk - at my fingertips! :wink:

I had the good fortune to meet him last weekend. It was brief but certain things stood out in my mind. I"ll try to do this point form lest i ramble on.

-he's much smaller in person - not just shorter, but slimmer. His nose is slimmer, almost sharp, and his face is not as full looking.
-his eyes never leave your face when he talks to you - its like for that few seconds you are the most important person in his world. (i had heard other fans say that he was distracted around them but he wasnt this day with any of the fans)
-his gaze is very very intense. I've practiced for years, being able to look people in the eyes without looking away (my job demands that i 'take charge' of people) and without that, i think i could not have withstood that gaze for very long, even thru his light tinted glasses - its almost like he can size you up in seconds, and almost peer into your soul (weird thing to say, but i'm sure you might have run into someone with this type of gaze at least once in your life - you never forget it)
-his voice is higher pitched than i had expected. I listened again to the music the next day, and much of what i thought was a bit of falsetto - isnt.
-his voice is soft. Not difficult to hear - the volume is fine - but its soft and lilting...not harsh.
-he is touchy-feely with people. he will suddenly grab your hand in both of his and just keep on holding on - this is a very irish thing to do, i was told by a workmate from scotland
-i think in real life (heh real life- sorry) he is a very intense kind of person always on the go never wanting to sit still and do nothing...dont know why but thats the impression i was getting.
-and contrary to what most fans post or say, i didnt get the impression that he's shy. far from it. i think that he's so soft spoken (as opposed to his singing voice) that it might seem as such.

hope that helps

i met bono about 2 weeks ago. i agree that his voice is soft and higher than i thought it would be.

he was very nice - talked to me for about 3 minutes - with my hand in his the whole time.

i am a bono lover but i did notice something a bit odd - his mouth doesn't seem to move much when he talks... has anyone noticed this?

kellyahern said:

Please tell you wife thank you for that :)

I love the extra verse part and loved when he started adding it again on the Elevation tour (I only saw one show, but have a number of bootlegs).

Tell her thanks from me 2......i luv the extra verse! it makes the song in my opinion!

jilly mullen jr said:

i am a bono lover but i did notice something a bit odd - his mouth doesn't seem to move much when he talks... has anyone noticed this?

There's something we need to pay attention from now on.:lol:

partygirl2u said:
:wink: oddly enough my "sister" was also sleeping when I met Bono! She has never recovered. Guess the saying is true "you snooze, you lose!"

anyhoo,,,, to meet Bono in real life is something that you'll never forget,,,,so get plenty of rest before you meet him. :drool:

I'd never recover.:crack:

Back
Top Bottom