what was early u2 NYC area Fandom like- JCOSTER?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dazzledbylight

Blue Crack Supplier
Hello, Hello...........:wave: :wave:

Hi JCOSTER .....i've never met anyone -- outside of my own close friends circle -- or the New Wave/punk paper's staff -where I first read about U-2 then....that liked them OR even KNEW about them back then who lived in the NYC area.....

SO how did you find out about them? And did you have a few friends who were/became fans as well? Or met fans , some who became freinds, etc :D

DId you pass around rumours, read the Brit Music magazines etc to read up on them?

I'll share my modest stories....if you're will to share yours. I'd love to hear them :)

If there's anyone ELSE who lives/lived in this area back in 80/81 and were fans then........please share too! :hyper:

My story must be all over here by now...:giggle:

I'll try to keep it short,

@ 14 I heard New Years Day/I Will Follow on college radio. I thought it was awsome and never heard anything quite like it. From WLIR radio I heard they would be at a local club on LI. In a cab I go on a cold rainy Dec. 13th night just to be turned away, after alot of begging. It wouldn't be until 1987 that I would see them live. I tried to get pictures where ever, taped off of tv Redrocks which I still have and it still works.:ohmy: I had all their albums etc. Rolling Stone, Spin etc. Money was always tight. I had a bunch of friends that like them but not like me! I had a huge post of Bono on the back of my door so when I went to sleep he would be looking at me it had lipstick prints all over by the time I took it down. I always had to get tickets through ya' know, I only got tickets twice through ticketmaster and that was for Zoo Station, I even stayed out overnight and didn't get tickets, Wore my t-shirts to shreds....I have seen all the shows at least 2x except Elevation because my nephew was due at the same time and sure enought he was born on the night they were at the Garden! Lucky for him. I never met anyone else who is quite the fanatic except from here. I even sent a letter to MTV Fanatic to get to meet them but to no avail. This time I was able and lucky enough to have the money to get to 2x shows at the Garden in Oct and Nov. Everytime I see them I have the same reaction, I shake, cry, yell, you name it I become 19, 14, 16 and 39 all over again. I basically grew up with them. I remember seeing the New Years Day video the first time and I was hooked thought I would die. :drool: After hearing ATYCLB I actually cried at a few songs while listening. Thats the impact they have on me.
I have waited outside the Garden, the Meadowlands, Giant Stadium and Nassau Coliseum and never met them.This time I was 1st row behind the stage with my husband. When I heard Everyone, Everyone, I had jello legs. I started to shake when we were brought to our seats, I told my husband I can't do this I can't sit here its too close. I've never been this close before. When they walked out, first Adam he smiled and waved, then Edge did the same then......Bono he looked directly at me as I was crying and blowing him a kiss at the same time gave me the peace sign and fist in the air and said its gonna go off!!! then Larry :| that was the look on his face! He then came around to the back and sang COBL and reach to me during cant you see the beauty inside of me, etc. I died. The girl behind me asked me if I needed water.:huh: He came around the back a few times but nothing beat the 2nd show when MW came on and were dancing in sync with each other on his way around to get the girl onstage with the hat (circa1992) When they made the entrance again I had the same reaction. I said Bono I love u! He looked up and right before going under the stage said Hello Love! ahhh almost fainted my husband was holding onto the loop of my pants.

Back in 87 you could'nt get the info you get today this is so much better!

Through here it was the first time I ever heard that 1981 concert!
25 years later and it sounded incredible. so incredible I REALLY wished I was there!

When I was at FIT they were also my corporate image visual and not many people their were into them only one person. they were the photo of my revamping SPIN Magazine!
As I went to teen clubs not many new them they were kinda underground, I used to dance to I Will Follow and Two Hearts like he did :giggle:
Thanks for being interested next time u can PM me if you'd like!

I didn't live in NYC but I got their first two albums through my ex who was a DJ. I was able to first see them live in '83.

Always lived in NY, became a fan in '83, didn't see them live until '87 though! (and I still kick myself because I was certainly old enough to go before then...)

JCOSTER said:
My story must be all over here by now...:giggle:

I'll try to keep it short,

@ 14 I heard New Years Day/I Will Follow on college radio. I thought it was awsome and never heard anything quite like it. From WLIR radio I heard they would be at a local club on LI. In a cab I go on a cold rainy Dec. 13th night just to be turned away, after alot of begging. It wouldn't be until 1987 that I would see them live. I tried to get pictures where ever, taped off of tv Redrocks which I still have and it still works.:ohmy: I had all their albums etc. Rolling Stone, Spin etc. Money was always tight. I had a bunch of friends that like them but not like me! I had a huge post of Bono on the back of my door so when I went to sleep he would be looking at me it had lipstick prints all over by the time I took it down. I always had to get tickets through ya' know, I only got tickets twice through ticketmaster and that was for Zoo Station, I even stayed out overnight and didn't get tickets, Wore my t-shirts to shreds....I have seen all the shows at least 2x except Elevation because my nephew was due at the same time and sure enought he was born on the night they were at the Garden! Lucky for him. I never met anyone else who is quite the fanatic except from here. I even sent a letter to MTV Fanatic to get to meet them but to no avail. This time I was able and lucky enough to have the money to get to 2x shows at the Garden in Oct and Nov. Everytime I see them I have the same reaction, I shake, cry, yell, you name it I become 19, 14, 16 and 39 all over again. I basically grew up with them. I remember seeing the New Years Day video the first time and I was hooked thought I would die. :drool: After hearing ATYCLB I actually cried at a few songs while listening. Thats the impact they have on me.
I have waited outside the Garden, the Meadowlands, Giant Stadium and Nassau Coliseum and never met them.This time I was 1st row behind the stage with my husband. When I heard Everyone, Everyone, I had jello legs. I started to shake when we were brought to our seats, I told my husband I can't do this I can't sit here its too close. I've never been this close before. When they walked out, first Adam he smiled and waved, then Edge did the same then......Bono he looked directly at me as I was crying and blowing him a kiss at the same time gave me the peace sign and fist in the air and said its gonna go off!!! then Larry :| that was the look on his face! He then came around to the back and sang COBL and reach to me during cant you see the beauty inside of me, etc. I died. The girl behind me asked me if I needed water.:huh: He came around the back a few times but nothing beat the 2nd show when MW came on and were dancing in sync with each other on his way around to get the girl onstage with the hat (circa1992) When they made the entrance again I had the same reaction. I said Bono I love u! He looked up and right before going under the stage said Hello Love! ahhh almost fainted my husband was holding onto the loop of my pants.

Back in 87 you could'nt get the info you get today this is so much better!

Through here it was the first time I ever heard that 1981 concert!
25 years later and it sounded incredible. so incredible I REALLY wished I was there!

When I was at FIT they were also my corporate image visual and not many people their were into them only one person. they were the photo of my revamping SPIN Magazine!
As I went to teen clubs not many new them they were kinda underground, I used to dance to I Will Follow and Two Hearts like he did :giggle:
Thanks for being interested next time u can PM me if you'd like!

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your story!

I lived back west in my college days, have never met them, but just recently got to finally see them in concert. I can but imagine your joy when you've been able to see them. I had to practically be scraped off the floor after the concert. I still dont' remember how I drove home. Just the joy I felt.

You SO deserved that "hello love!"!! Thanks for sharing your story!! That was awesome. :hug:

u2granny said:
I didn't live in NYC but I got their first two albums through my ex who was a DJ. I was able to first see them live in '83.

granny, any stories you want to share? something tells me you must have a few.

Unfortunately I wasn't born until 1984, but I've had the pleasure of meeting two fellow fans in my city that were at the only gig U2 has ever played here - Fountain Street Church, Dec. 5, 1981. Bono's soon coming back for the first time in 25 years!

thankyou said:

granny, any stories you want to share? something tells me you must have a few.

Most of my hair-raising stories involve hitch-hiking to see bands when I was in college. Not something I would attempt if I were in college now.:|

u2granny said:

Most of my hair-raising stories involve hitch-hiking to see bands when I was in college. Not something I would attempt if I were in college now.:|

Yeah I hitch-hiked to a few shows this tour, but I did the "hitching" via Interference and was "hiked" by Miroslava and Bonosloveslave. :hug:

Your story was great!
I've been am fan since 85.86 and now I'm 36 and the last concert for me was Nov.22 at the Garden.I went nuts! No drug could ever come close to how I felt! I was in the front row on the floor

Here's a story I've never told anyone at Interference: When U2 first toured NYC, I was on the staff of a teen fan magazine that I would later edit during the early glory days of Duran Duran. We used to have a lot of photographers coming up to the office, and one of them was a gal from Northern California who was around my (and U2's) age. She lived at her grandmother's awesome apartment overlooking Central Park, and we had some crazy adventures together, including meeting Joe Strummer and Mick Jones of The Clash outside the Gramercy Park Hotel.

Anyway, one day she told me of meeting the nicest group of guys in the world--U2. She said that Paul McGuinness promised her a photo shoot with them in the near future, and he was really very nice too.

A couple of weeks later, I asked her if the photo shoot had happened. She said no, that Paul McGuinness was the meanest man in the world, because he reneged on the promise to set up that photo session--they'd only do it if she was working for a specific magazine and the pictures were sure to be published. (She was a freelancer.)

Now, if I'd known then what I know now, I would have begged my boss to do an article on this young band...and I would have shown up at that photo session! But I think the answer still would have been no, because I was on a teen fan magazine and I don't think PMG would have approved of that!

Looking back, my photographer friend probably came across as a starry-eyed fan with a camera, not a professional that could help the band. She and I lost touch many years ago. And now, looking at how cute that baby band was, I can't believe I didn't run pictures of U2 in my magazine!

u2fan628 said:
Your story was great!
I've been am fan since 85.86 and now I'm 36 and the last concert for me was Nov.22 at the Garden.I went nuts! No drug could ever come close to how I felt! I was in the front row on the floor

I am so excited I have my very own thread, Thanks Dazzle! I wish I had more stories to tell, like how he swept me off my feet. but thats all I have....thanks everyone....

That Nov 22, show was awsome, I wish I could go back again....who else was there, I can't believe you guys were there too. I was that first row behind the stage, I was directly to the right hand of Larry, it was like you could reach out and touch him.
I was the crazy blonde in a blace sleevless shirt, with a tall guy standing next to me. (my Hubs) we were right in the middle of the row!, I would take behind the stage at the garden any day,
We didn't get to see all the graphics on the curtains but it made it more intimate that way the graphics were right over head so we didn't pay much attention, but we could see right underneath the stage. I even asked one of the technicians for the set list and he could of handed to me but instead he kept throughing up and I never was able to get it. Bono came around back that night more so than the last one. When he is looking at you, you know, if he would have said jump down here I would have, I think he is very hypnotizing, I think even my hubby had a slight man cruch that evening. It was great that at the end of the show when he came from under the stage he waved and I blew more kisses and gave him the I love sign and said thank you he smiled and waved bye, then ran off into Alis arms she was waiting at the begining of the exit tunnel and they walked off arm and arm together. That was a great site, that even though he had all these beautiful girls screaming for him, and circa jumping on his back, he went off with his Mrs.! True Love.

Had we not lost our camera I might have spotted you in the background of our photos for the evening :lol:
Unfortunately some lucky cabbie now owns a nice digital camera with a huge memory card :|

But I did get my picture signed by Bono that day so everything was great :combust:

JCOSTER said:

I am so excited I have my very own thread, .........
Only on Pleba! Enjoy it! Your stories are great! Like I wrote a little earlier: After waiting for a moment for so many years, you SO deserved that "hello love!"!! You even got to see Bono with the Mrs. Cool!

:applaud:

Hi guys

I'm breaking my 'lurking' and finally going to join in!

I was born the same year as U2 - 1976 - and have loved them since JT.

A gir I worked with got to meet them the first time they came to New Zealand in the early 80's (when Greg Carroll hooked up with them). Bono & Edge were walking down the street at about 10pm. She pulled the car over, and ran across the road to say hi. They had a great chat, Bono signed the back of a reciept for her, and even pulled out his wallet to give her some tickets to their gig the next night. She hunted everywhere for that autograph for me but couldn't find it :sad:

The first concert of theirs I saw was Zoo TV in New Zealand in Nov 1993. I was hooked, literally!!! The most amazing part was that a friend of mine was a policewoman. She was on security for the ellipse. During one of the songs, Bono reached down and swiped her police hat off her head and sang the rest of the song with it on. He gave it back to her and she had to hang on to it tight the rest of the night as all the girls were trying to grab it from her. Knowing what a huge fan I was, the next time she saw me, she gave me the hat to keep!!! I still have it to this day!

I can't wait until they make a date to come back to NZ, it's all I can think about!!

u2bonogirl said:
Had we not lost our camera I might have spotted you in the background of our photos for the evening :lol:
Unfortunately some lucky cabbie now owns a nice digital camera with a huge memory card :|

But I did get my picture signed by Bono that day so everything was great :combust:

If you look on atu2.com under the pix of that concert or flickr, you can see the sleevless blob right behind Larrys cymbols, I knew it was me because in quite a few pictures I could tell it was the hubby!

gluey said:
Hi guys

I'm breaking my 'lurking' and finally going to join in!

I was born the same year as U2 - 1976 - and have loved them since JT.

A gir I worked with got to meet them the first time they came to New Zealand in the early 80's (when Greg Carroll hooked up with them). Bono & Edge were walking down the street at about 10pm. She pulled the car over, and ran across the road to say hi. They had a great chat, Bono signed the back of a reciept for her, and even pulled out his wallet to give her some tickets to their gig the next night. She hunted everywhere for that autograph for me but couldn't find it :sad:

The first concert of theirs I saw was Zoo TV in New Zealand in Nov 1993. I was hooked, literally!!! The most amazing part was that a friend of mine was a policewoman. She was on security for the ellipse. During one of the songs, Bono reached down and swiped her police hat off her head and sang the rest of the song with it on. He gave it back to her and she had to hang on to it tight the rest of the night as all the girls were trying to grab it from her. Knowing what a huge fan I was, the next time she saw me, she gave me the hat to keep!!! I still have it to this day!

I can't wait until they make a date to come back to NZ, it's all I can think about!!

Great story! Welcome, by the way!:wave:

I enjoyed reading all your stories people:)

My earliest memory of U2 was when I saw the video of New Years Day...(seriously I could not stand that song!!)..((I think it was because it was not a Duran Duran song that I was not intrested))...The New Years Day video played often on MTV since I didnt like the song and never payed attention to it...but I was a video freak so I recorded every video that I could Lots of early U2 among those recordings....One day at school during lunch Pride In The Name Of Love was played over the intercom....It was requested again and again...I Loved the sone!!! I needed to know who the band was...Once I found out it was U2 I was becoming a fan....Joshua Tree. was diffrent for its time..I loved it!!!! I Went to quite a few concerts , Depeche Mode, Souxie and teh Banchees, Billy Idol...but I could not get tickets to U2....
I am SO SORRY I missed the Zoo Tour ((which is why Im obsessed with The Fly and MacPhisto and collect every recording I can get my hands on for that era and JT as well..Finally I saw POP..I not only became a real fan= but I was OBSESSED!!!!..I was lucky to have seen quite a few shows for Elevation and even a lot more shows for Vertigo....This just shows how obsessed I became....*not to mention my U2 treasure collections!!!:D

And Yes I did have a crush on Bono from the get-go, and individual small crushes on Larry and Adam...But Im a Bono/Edge girl!!;)

Edit to add:
New Years Day grew on me!!, Now I cant seem to remember why I didnt like the sone in the first place????............Oh yeah it was not a Duran Duran song:lol:

OK....my turn to tell my stories].

FIRST tho.......thanks for replying JCOS & everyone else:D I enjoyed all your finding out about U2 stories!

WOW!
You {JCOS} DEF desvered that 'hi love'.........:drool: :whimper: :wink:

SSSOO..........

I was 2x your age JCOS, when I first READ about u2....they have been with me through all my young[er] adult life onward.
ANd I count them UP THERE wiuth my PRIMO All-Time Ultra-Amazing MULTI-Talented in Songmanship, Playing, Singing AND Playing/ Singing Live! :drool: :drool:

more background on my R&R Fanship...so you can see how impressed i was with U2 with alot of R&R/live Concerts life already inme! .
Some of you younger fans may scoff at that......I'm "adding U2 in".....when they have been your first, near first ultra favs.

Trust me on this.......for them to BE included in my Ultra-fav category IS an accomplishment....I've seen a few hundread mostly R&R and some folk-rock/country-rock/R&B bands in my life- so far :wink:

here's who I consider my other favs {ALL have PRECEDED U2 in being Performers and I HAVE seen These Bands Live in their earlier times before their OWN UltraFame or 2 cases fairly Famous but not ultra famous in R&R circles and some gneral public, as well.

I ALSO REALIZE that some of you are nuetral on/ may not know or may hate one or more of the following bands......that's ok....but they are acknowledged by most as among the greatest. :)

And all but one [ the sencond one is a special case...since you can very seriously have the point without them their might not even be a u2 or many rocks as we know them today/and thru several decades back] bands are U2 influences !!! :D

quickly ...
*The WHo* {original} seen them pre-Tommy in a 200 outdoor summer concert place. seen them perform Tommy, WHo's Next & Quadrophania Live !!!

*Bruce Springsteen* seen him when he was STILL playing ? 2000 seat thearters!

*Patti Smith Band* she influenced MANY non-Janis Joplin styled-- new wave/punk gal/women singers from mid-70's ONWARD with her incredible Power/take no prisoners......! Chrissy Hines, Joan Jett, many others. She was SO DYNAMIC ROCK & ROLL GUYS wanted to perform like her. VERY rare then........

*Television* One of the most amazing set of from CBGB's Origianls-- duo gutairists in the world plus a cracking/proelling rhythym section!

ANd my special case is +The Beatles+
I saw them live 2x-s at Shea........i wasn't even offially a teenager the first time! :lol:
BUT while they [the Fab 4] ARE one of the greatest songwring & Studio bands......because they QUIT performing live.......after 66......they NEVER performed some of there greatist more complicated songs from....?? DEF from SGT Peppers onward.
I can't say there are one of the best live performing bands......in comparison to U2, Bruce etc

SO ALL THESE Were what young band of Irleand had to compete against
People I've seen live ALso includes Talking Heads, The Clash, the JAM , Midnite Oil etc.....top pefformers live!......

OK so there I was.........

....reading my FAve New Wave/Punk/Alt rock magazine......it did look kind of like a ZINE tho, too -- New York Rocker.

JCOS if you remeber it.......visually......you might agree with me...... I'd love to see your Spin Project :hyper;

NYR started all over the CBGB's & some of the Max's Kansas City Scene too....back in ? 76 if not 75.
As the scene grew into influence .......The Tri-state area of NY/NJ/COn....area.....;later & simulataneously the rest of the USA & Britain/Europe........
NYR Expanded it Coverage !

SO the new Editor/Publisher {the first one had left} also would go over to GB/E and prob did alsogo at some points maybe to othger places in the USA.

SO i was reading their short reviews...section.......

having as I mentioned above seen some extroidinarrily special bands already and gotten in fairly early on the CBGB's scene....... I already had serious criteria to have new bands even really impress me ......in 1980!

MY R&R Band & Performence criteria........and still is about the same......
had to have some stunning songs/ be able to PLAY those stunning songs LIVE well/ really try and CONNECT with the AUDIENCE { heh! Teleivsiion is one of the few exceptions when it comes to typical audience/performer interaction...very little}/ had to have some songs that had beauty /or real uplift in them as well as harder, rougher more jagged-edged stuff.

SO I READ>.......U2......" they CONNECT with their Audience, THey have ANTHEMIC songs ..."
2 "bingos" right out of the gate
then he added......"they are very ambitious" paraphrase now.....IF they can keep it together these guys ARE DESTINED to be A STADIUM Level Band .........

can you beleive it........right there in late 80......said after they FIRST GIG at The MArque Club in London on their "battle of Britian" Tour!

SO i kept an an eye/ear out for them.......

I'mnot sure which happened next.....
in MAY 81 the same NYR........published a 4 page interview with {then} U-2. WHen Bono was STILL Bono Vox!
THIS interview ws done the net day at the rented London Flat they had for their Britain tour.......esp the Marquee Club......BUT wasn't published till 6 months Later.....probably to be closeer to the relase of "BOY' in The States.

I was really impressed with them {tho B did more talking then than any of them.....they commitment to Liver PErformance & giving to an audeience....and being dissapointed wehn an audience didn't give back....

Pete Townshend AND Roger Daltry both use to talk often hoeimportant the cycyle of energy between Performers & audience was...

AND B mentioned The Cry...even back then.........saying it was about..... people starving........the great misery of the long-temed unemployed {AIDS was just the begining of a mysterious condition that some gay men had started to die from in NYC & San Fran esp}

and I said wow a Sicial COncious too! IMPRESSED ding ding doing..

then I heard I Will FOllow OUt of COntrol oooooon WLIB ! and i was WOW>>>>>>>they reallyt do have this incredible engery/songmanship etc

I really wasn' thatimpressed with the rest of boy..BUT witb IWF& OOC as paret of their offerings ...I KNEW they had SOMETHING in them!

I liked afew few more songs REALLY well on OCt..........

THEN WAR wass truely the one........that clinched for me for good!
I just knew if I waited they guys were going to be able to turn out more quantity of Real Quality Material

Now HAD I KNOWN they were playing IN NYC in ? 80 thenmaybe 81 again......

I WOULD HAVE probably gone to check them out after resading the first review but I didn't catch any ads if ythe had them in The Village voice or If the Soho News was also still in existance.........

They played Irving Plaza & The Mud club....places I'd been to already :mad:

SIGH,,,bu that was not My fate" then......

i forst saw then in 83 and from then on

Last edited:
More story...

In 1983 i didn't see a whole show at all tho :(

The show was at the old Pier ?86 outdoor Concert venue..it was the substitute for the Long time Venerable summer concert place in Central PArk...which had to be given up because the placit was held in The now redone Wollman Ice skating rink was in bad disrepair.......

I don't remember who of us got the tix.........but i had to sell my mine b/c I had to be at a different get together.......if I didn't show up the people weren't going to think i was serious sabout what I was doing :madspit: def one I regret not saying ...I am serious and I am also serious about thother stuff too, and gone.

BUT Pier ?86 was/is the sail off point for The Circle Line........
I had gotten a freebie from a friend for a Around Manhattan
cruise and hadn't used it yet.
I thot MAYBE IF I GO ON THE EARLIER AFTERNOON CRUISE I might CATCH THEM REHEARSHING?

I DID! :hyper:

AS we pulled out of the berth I could see the stage in the sort of distance. I heard the new, then but already familiar Bassline of New Year's Day! I could see adam and then edge playing on the electric Keyboard!

I didn't hear anymore tho because ythe boat picked up speed....but AT LEAST I got something!

I was how ever VERY :grumpy: :grumpy: as I came back walking away as everyone else was walking to the show.

The first FULL SHOW i saw was in 84. A one-off Amnesty Benifit atr Radio City Music hall.

I don't remember much from the show :reject: except a general having a fantastic time-- getting up to dance, sing along and cheer/clap at almost every song then! I think ihave a mental image of Bono getting off the stage to our right side {our POV}, and being among the fans for a bit. :drool:

We were in the Balcony......so already our "dim luck" with U2 tix was happeneing. NO GOOD let alone GREAT Seats till 2005!
No I STILL have NOT been ABLE to get a GA show! :mad:

But I've seen them on every tour except Pop. :drool:

JCOS.....did you drive out to Giants Stadium etc?

I could never stay out past the shows OUTSIDE of NYC b/c me & sis were being driven by our friends there & back. So I couldn't hang around waiting. ANd my sis was mysteriously ill when we went to the MSG 85 show.....so I didn't EVEN think about waiting outside. I was too concerned over her.

DID you see them at Nassau Colesium in 1987?

Last edited:
Hey Dazzle;

I did actually see them in Jersey in 87 at the arena. That was my 1st show JT.

I do think we have been at the same shows though.

My 2nd show was Nassau Coliseum JT in 87 as well.

I saw Pop at Giant stadium and I was right at the end of the catwalk but not as close as last time.

I saw Pop again but was in the 100 section on Edges side, I was actuall further down toward the back of the stadium and I was so pissed because my brother actually had better tickets and didn't even like them as much as me. Then all of a sudden someone comes over to us which I thought was a scam and asked if we would like to move closer!!!! so I ended up in the 100 section right below my brother about 15 rows ha, ha, ha.

I saw ZooTV outside and was on the floor again but way to the left of Edges side in the middle I had stand on the seats to see but so did everyone else.

I saw ZooTV at the coliseum too. That was actuall better because I was closer....

I always hung around after but never saw them.

When I was going to the 11/22 show I didn't get my tickets until 3 pm that day and we had to catch the 6 pm train into the city I was sweating bullets and didn't know that there had been a time change to 1/2 hour earlier. but I didn't miss much...:wink:

Speaking of the social scene I went to school (FIT) with a bunch of different age people in my class. There was this on guy who was in his 20's late, and I was just 20. He would come to school and tell everyone why his homework wasn't done because he was up all night with his friend who was very sick, We we all try and pitch in to get his work done for him, we or I should say I didn't know then that his friend had Aids, it was very sad and I will never forget what he went through with his companion of at least 5 years at that time. By the time we graduated he missed the last day of class because his friend had died.....and we never saw him again....I always wondered if he is still alive and well. His name is Dan. It was so sad that I still think of that time today.

:( JCOS

i worked a t small Publishing place 2 mags...a fair amount of the men there were gay. This was ? around 77-part 79. I wonder from time to time what happened to them as the Aids crisis hit.

AS for the rest of the U2 shows I've seen.....

I only got to ZOO TV through the graces of a friend....someone couodn't use their seat so she gave it to me and let me pay her over the next year or 2. I was way under-employed/underpaid during the ression of 91- half/93 of NYC.

you know in the UTEOTW vid :drool: :drool: ...... when they show camera from both the left and later right side views from NEAR the TOPP of the Stadium & at least 3/4 way back...........THAT's where WE WERE that night :grumpy:

I AM VERY GRATEFUL I got to go.....but.....it just continued oyur DIM LUCK with U2 concert seating!
I say Dim Luck b/c BAD Luck would have been NOT GETTING tix at ALL!

continuing post.......

At Nassau COl......we were about ?? half way up aND practicully straignt back behind the stage somewhat more between Adam & Bono , that Bono & Edge.

Went i got home and/or next day I did some quickish sketches.......of them.

Elevation Shows 2 shows 1 the first Night of the 9-11 shows 2/3rds back mid section
and yet aonther Behind the stage AGAIN. seats at Brenden Byrne Arena.......a bit closer than the NC/Long Isl ...about same back angle re: btwn Adam & bono.

IN fact the reason I started waiting outside waasssss b/c we never got close seats ever trying to see them outside i might get closer glimpses of them.......

I had been used to seeing many bands INCLUDING The WHo & Bruce/E Street up close 10th row/ 5th row/ FIRST row....
....sheeeeessssh U2 was those 4 inch, 2 inch figures in the distance.........with it helped some .

SO this tour has been Our best!!!

*caugh them in Brookyn near the Brooklyn Bridge was about equivalent of 17 rows from my position to the stage..............got a bit closer towards the end.

* May/05 MSG in top row of top ring about 7/8th behind on Adam's side. I was just glad to have gotten a seat through some kind folks...:bow:... cAuase NONE of me & my friends got seats for ANY of the NYC dates at the Gen Sale.
I was glad not to have to wait ALL summer & worry about Fall seats....until fall actually showed up.

*11/22 w were about half way back about halfway up....not too bad.... my sis lent me the $$ so she wouldn't have to go alone and We had wanted to see Patti Smith w U2 at MSG too! {tyheir first time}

*Oct ? 8th or 12th SAT/05...THE BEST FOR ME Ever....... AFTER 24 years of trying ..........

I had gotten a credit card increase........back in late spring.........hadn't done anything with it...........
SO after trying to get seats through Ticket master { i was trying not to pay the extra broker fees and E-Bay was a joke - for me) . I heard about the line for Tix Cancellations the night after the first show while i was standing outside........

so I got online next day {sat} and with trembling anxiety/hoppe I let myseklf get the top pay seats AND got 8th ROw in Loge........a few feet in front of the stage ....a few feet along the curve of the Elipse.

when I got into the arena walking through the Loge area and finally through the Section gate. I was so stunned/shocked & :hyper: at same time!

I STILL want GA and Never got them, no matter how hard I tried.....
....... but THIS Was the NEXT BEST THING!
ANd add in the Binocs..........Woa--ooh! oh! :heart: :drool:

i did quick sketches again........during and aftedr the shows for Oct & Nov. And i picked up the confetti after the show, before I went to wait outside.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom