What got you interested?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonlit_Angel

Blue Crack Addict
In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de
So I've been looking back through some of the older threads from these boards, and I just finished looking at one where we all shared what moment it was that we got interested in the particular band members we now like.

And since we have some new people on the boards, I thought it'd be interesting to hear those stories again, along with the ones from the new people.

I'll start. For me, it was when I saw the "When The Stars Go Blue" video in the summer of 2002. I saw Bono dancing with Andrea Corr, and thought that was so cute. And he was so charming, too. Plus, I liked the outfit he was wearing. :). And I got hooked.

So how about you gals?

Angela

I'd say for me it was about 2 years ago. I've only been the obsessed fan I am for about 4 years. I loved watching/listening to Edge play his guitar but I'd never paid much attention to him other than he was the guitar player for U2.

My friend and I were watching the Popmart video for the first time and she said something to the effect....and no offense to the Bono girls here....but she said something like she'd never found Bono to be very attractive but she liked his singing a lot. A few days before that I told her I absolutely loved his Popmart shaved head, which is why we were watching the video to begin with because she wanted to see what he looked like with his hair like that. When Staring at the Sun came on she was trying to tease me about how there were tons of close ups of "my man" meaning Bono, since we were watching it to see his shaved head. Next shot was a close up of Edge, and then another......and the Sunday Blooday Sunday. I just remember turning to her and said something like Bono's not my man.....Edge is. She thought I was nuts because she'd already been making fun of his cute Popmart cowboy outfit. Ever since then I've thought he is the cutest damn thing :cute:

Last edited:
I first got interested back in the spring and summer of 1983. I was 13. I liked the songs on the War album, but the pic of Bono on the album cover wasn't very good looking. At that time I never knew Boy and October existed :reject: We didn't have MTV yet. Then the first video I saw was Red Rocks, Under a Blood Red Sky on some independant cable channel. I thought, wow, these guys are cute! :cute: ALL of them, but Bono was the hottest :drool: I just loved those boots and everything about him. I started buying magazines with U2 in them and putting his pics on my wall. Then we got MTV on our cable, and I saw more of him, and my obsession only got worse :drool:

I have seen some of you say you wish you were teenagers in the '80's, well it was cool, but it really didn't do me any more good than it's doing anyone now because I never got to meet him or touch him anyway :sad: But I had the pics, and we still do:)

My parents gave me a copy of JT. After the initial listen, I listened several more times, and I was reading the lyrics as I listened. When I got to the "centerfold" of the liner notes, I was like, hellooooooooooo, U2!!! I was particularly drawn to "the sexy guy in the white tank". :D

U2Kitten said:
I have seen some of you say you wish you were teenagers in the '80's, well it was cool, but it really didn't do me any more good than it's doing anyone now because I never got to meet him or touch him anyway :sad:

Aw. :( :hug:. I hope you get the chance someday soon.

Good stories so far, everyone. :).

arw, heh, your friend's comments kinda remind me of how my sister reacted when I first got into Bono. She saw me watching the video one night and said, "You're not getting a thing for him now, are you?" At the time I lied and said no, 'cause I knew she'd tease me about it. But she eventually found out anyway, when we were watching the "Elevation" video one morning and I pointed out the fact that Bono had an earring on. Somehow from that she figured it out. :shrug:. And then after she found out, she kept calling him my "gentleman caller" or my "lovah" for a while. :huh: :coocoo:.

Yeah, my sister's weird.

Angela

For me I fell for the band with the War album. I loved the uniqueness of Bono's voice and his charisma...somehow I knew that my liking of the band wasnt just a passing fancy but would stay with me. I guess you could say that I took more notice to Bono's phsical appearance when I moved to Atlanta for awhile and one of my roomates thought Bono was "IT".

I've been a fan since the beginning, but it was only with the JT vids that I really began to notice Bono. Before that, they were kinda goofy, earnest looking guys, but those JT vids; holy crap! WOWY and the vest, ISHFWILF and the drunken swagger, and then, the masterpiece, the one that reminds me I'm het every time I see it: Streets on the rooftop! :combust:

Those black jeans, that little leg keeping time, that red hair.....

I could go on, but I won't. You girls know what I mean!

Last edited:
1983. We just got cable with MTV in our house, and I saw the "New Year's Day" video. I was instantly hooked on the band, their unique, Irish-flavored sound...and the guitarist. I've always had a thing for intellectual brunets (sometimes you can tell a man is an intellectual just by looking at him), and those intense eyes and beautiful cheekbones were the icing on the cake. I saw the other videos, Live Aid, Red Rocks, etc. and realized that all four of them were quite easy on the eyes, but the Edge had stolen my heart. :love:

My brother bought "Boy" when it was released. He played it for me and I was hooked. For a while music was the only thing that my brother and I could talk about without fighting.

I got hooked about 20 years ago. I was watching quite a bit of MTV, it was pretty cool in its early days. I saw the SBS video and it was cool......they did interviews with Bono and I thought he was the coolest guy.........I was going to protest demonstrations and I liked their social justice/spiritual orientation. One night they showed "Under a Blood Red Sky" and it blew me away. I was speechless after that. Great band, and I had never seen such a charismatic singer!! I still haven't. :drool: :drool: :drool: :censored: :censored: :censored:

I fell in love with the music the first time I heard WOWY on the radio in 1987. I was 19. Up until then I was only vaguely aware that there was this band called U2, but I had never heard any of their music or even seen pictures. Anway, the first time I even knew what the band members looked like was when I saw the WOWY video a few weeks later. I noticed right away that the drummer was a hunk, but I wasn't sure what I thought of that singer dude with the ponytail. :wink: I didn't think he was handsome at all in the conventional way, but he was so intense, with his eyes smoldering into the camera and his swinging that guitar around. And I absolutely loved his voice. I'm not sure when I started lusting after him, but it happened. I think the moment when I consciously realized I had a crush on Bono was when I was reading that Time magazine article on the band and felt a pang of regret when I learned he was already married. I'm happy now that he found someone as wonderful as Ali, but back then I couldn't help but think, dagblamit, I missed my chance!

Last edited:
Great stories everyone! :up: I love reading this kind of stuff!:heart:
So my Bono "thing" started in '87.... really it was all about seeing JT live that year. I just remember the 4 silouettes come out with that red background when they opened the show with Streets and I nearly passed out from the excitement. Bono blew me away. His energy, his movements on stage, his sexiness, his voice, his hot hot long beautiful hair, his boots, his passion when he was talking about the Embarcadero incident and then he wanted to show us that "graffiti is art" and he was so passionate about it and everything, how could you not fall in love?? After the concert, I have never been the same. I bought all the albums (the only one I had before the concert was Under a Blood Red Sky), then I started watching the videos, bought Red Rocks, basically became totally and completely obsessed about owning everything U2 I could get my hands on.....
martha I remember watching Streets on the rooftop about a million times and making my entire family sit through it too :yes:

U2SJ said:
Great stories everyone! :up: I love reading this kind of stuff!

:yes:.

Originally posted by U2SJ
his passion when he was talking about the Embarcadero incident and then he wanted to show us that "graffiti is art" and he was so passionate about it and everything, how could you not fall in love??

:cute: :hug: :bono:...

Artistic guys rule. :D.

Bono's shades, LOL, I know what you mean about him being married. I was 24 years too late...:|. But Ali's cool, she makes him happy, so I'm not gonna complain. :).

And martha, yeah, I definitely know what you mean with that video. Saw it yesterday and was just like this: :drool:...

:sigh:...why did my parents have to move from California before that video was shot? I would've loved to be at that video shoot (granted, I would've only been 2 years old at the time, but still...)!

Angela

U2SJ said:
After the concert, I have never been the same. I bought all the albums (the only one I had before the concert was Under a Blood Red Sky), then I started watching the videos, bought Red Rocks, basically became totally and completely obsessed about owning everything U2 I could get my hands on.....
:yes:

Exact same situation for me, except my concert was Tampa 2001 :lol: Before that I only owned the greatest hits 1980-1990, and now . . . :drool:

Great stories everyone... Well, I have to be totally honest with you guys, but I can't really set a specific date on the day I started loving these guys and their music, but somethings I can remember... :yes:
I heard my first U2 song - WGRYWH - when I was about 10 years old... It was on one of the first cd's that I got (a mixed artist cd), and only having a very few cd's, I heard that song a lot - but didn't really got hooked at that time... Some years later I can remember I heard SHFWILF at our church, but at that time I had a "small" obsession with a british rockband (guess who?! :D ), so no U2 for me...
... but what really got my U2-obsession started was high school and ATYCLB - I was still "in loooove" with previously mentioned rock-band, but I was looking for something else, not just entertaining rock-music - but a rock-band with religious and political lyrics, some heavy guitarplaying and a charismatic frontman... And I sure did find that!!! :yes: :happy:
So now I've been a U2 fan for four years - and it's great!
... If I was to pick out a single bandmember that I like more than the others, it would have to be Bono - especially because of his never ending fight against AIDS and injustice in the world... Just gotta love that man! :heart: :hug: :heart: But... I must admit - since Edge has started going around "top-less" again, he's starting to get up there with Bono... :love:
Oh... Look at me just going :blahblah: and this is just my 2nd post!!! :laugh:

martha said:
I've been a fan since the beginning, but it was only with the JT vids that I really began to notice Bono. Before that, they were kinda goofy, earnest looking guys, but those JT vids; holy crap! WOWY and the vest, ISHFWILF and the drunken swagger, and then, the masterpiece, the one that reminds me I'm het every time I see it: Streets on the rooftop! :combust:

Those black jeans, that little leg keeping time, that red hair.....

I could go on, but I won't. You girls know what I mean!

Yes, yes I do. Didn't someone have stills at one point? :D

SD

Moonlit_Angel said:

Aw. :( :hug:. I hope you get the chance someday soon.

Angela

But even if I do, it won't be JT Bono :sigh: So if you ever get your time machine, come pick me up! :sexywink:

I think so many of us would want to go we'd all be crammed in like the historical characters on Bill and Ted! :eeklaugh: What a trip!

Sherry I know I saw all those Streets stills too, but this is all I can find. But :combust:!!!

astreets.jpg

bonostreets5.jpg

Last edited:
Moonlit_Angel said:

:sigh:...why did my parents have to move from California before that video was shot? I would've loved to be at that video shoot (granted, I would've only been 2 years old at the time, but still...)!

Angela

:| :| :|

I was 25, had just quit my downtown LA job, knew about the shoot, but absolutely couldn't face one more day of driving in that kind of traffic.

So I didn't go.

:| :| :| :|

Don't worry; I've kicked my own ass about that many times.

Merc's post makes me realize that I've been a U2 fan for almost two years now-got into them in May of 2002. Wow.

U2Kitten said:

Thanks. :) :hug:.

Originally posted by U2Kitten
But even if I do, it won't be JT Bono :sigh: So if you ever get your time machine, come pick me up! :sexywink:

Will do. :D. Love the stills, by the way. :).

Originally posted by U2Kitten
I think so many of us would want to go we'd all be crammed in like the historical characters on Bill and Ted! :eeklaugh: What a trip!

:lol:...yeah, that'd be very interesting indeed. We'd have to stop off at each era for those who like a particular look for their respective guys (and maybe go back and forth for those who like more than one era)...aaah, my head hurts just thinking about it all!

But of course, we'd all be mature women and share the guys with each other, right, ladies? :sexywink:.

Angela

I fell hard when I was 15. It was 1985 and I was obsessed with Duran Duran. While watching Live Aid I saw Bono jump off the stage and grab a girl out of the crowd, he hugged her and danced with her (kind of like Martha's thought for the day #5). I have been hooked ever since. Duran who?

faithingrace- How funny, I was also in love with Duran Duran until I saw U2 live for the first time when I was 14. I switched favorite bands right away! John Taylor was my 1st crush, then came Bono :love::combust:

I have always known about U2's music since I was little, but it was my friend in college that got me hooked. She started listening to Achtung Baby and ATYCLB a LOT during a rough time, and I would look through the booklets and think about how great I thought Bono looked, and how amazing the songs were. Soon I was grilling her for information every time I heard them. We planned a road trip to see the Elevation tour in Philadelphia, June 12, 2001. I have been totally addicted ever since. Bono's intensity and charisma reached me in Philly, all the way in the last row. Since then, I have learned he's a beautiful person inside and out. He reminds me of this almost every day in one way or another. :)

faithingrace- I just looked at your profile, we were both at ZooTV Sacramento '92, wasn't that an incredible show? My friend and I paid 250.00 each for scalper tickets for 4th row and I snuck my camera in and took some pics, they came out blurry, but still they are my memories of that night! I will never forget my excitement to be that close, at that point I had always been in the back of a stadium when I had seen U2 live... it was incredible!

U2SJ- Yes it was a great show, I spent the night out on the street to get tickets, actually my now hubby spent most of the night, we ended up with row 15 or so, but that is the closest I have been to Bono. Yes, John Taylor was my first crush too. But Bono has stayed with me for 18 years now. Scary! Can I really be that old? That crazy?!

I had always thought Bono was a little too crazy, unpredictable. Not to mention older, his age took a while to get used to, not that I'm saying he's OLD, but he's my DAD's age. But I can pinpoint the exact moment that he became my favorite: the first time I saw WOWY from Boston. That was the first time I took special interest in Bono as opposed to U2 or the music as a whole.

My stepdad got me started in 1989 by onstantly renting R&H.I asked him who they were and he said U2.I said cool and sat there and watched it with him about 100 times in one day.I soon realized i was completely hooked.He gave me his JT tape andf i wore it down.I couldn't wait until they made their next album so i can finally see them live.I was exicted when the day came.June 18th 1992 in Oakland,Ca.WELCOME TO ZOO T.V.My collection is bigger then ever.I have all their albums,videos,and dvds.The reason i'm REALLY into Adam is when doing the Streets video with no shirt..:drool:I guess i'm "old" too.LOL!

Well I was always aware that U2 existed, since 1992 when my bro bought a compilation album that had Mysterious Ways on it, and Mum said, "U2, they're a band that have been around for years." I never actually listened to it though. I liked "Lemon" when it came out the next year, but never really got into U2. I heard SBS a few years ago on the way to uni, I loved it, but never really got into U2.

So about two and a half years ago my bro made the Red Hot Chilli Peppers into his band. They were so suited to his personality, and he identified with them so much. I too wanted a band I could call my own, but I wandered about the music world aimlessly, not really stumbling upon something I could relate to. Then I got this job at a place that always had the radio on, and I always heard cool songs like New Years Day and others, and I'd think, "What a cool song," and then I'd find out it was by U2.

And then, in March 2002, the Bono special came out in Time. I read it and thought, what a cool band! The article really portrayed them as being human beings concerned with human things. So one day I bought Best Of 1980-1990, and Zooropa. Over the next few months I acquired most of the albums, and U2 just grew, and grew, and grew on me. It wasn't until I joined Zootopia that I actually started to notice their hotness.

Mmmmmm the hotness...I love em all, but I seem to go through phases. Right now it's drooling uncontrolably over Larry and Bono, but Edge is my home base...oh hell, they're all so bloody hot, how can you choose?

But I found my soul-band, they're everything I could ever want in musicians- intelligent, talented, nice, HOT!!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom