Webhosting? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > PLEBA > PLEBA Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2004, 06:45 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:10 AM
Webhosting?

I'm taking over a website that a friend of mine has run for the past 10 years. He finally got sick of doing the updating so he gave me access to it and now has decided he will transfer the domain to me. I don't know much about hosting a domain and from what I understand, after I purchase the domain, I still need someone to host it. He'd been using Yahoo for $9.99 a month but he said that deal goes way back and it won't transfer to me. Basically, I need something that can host plenty of pics (no video or sound files though) and has enough bandwidth for around 100,000 hits a month. I've decided to re-design the entire site so I'll download all of the current data before the transfer since I'm assuming if I go with anything other than Yahoo I'll loose it all. Anyone here familiar with web hosting and know where I can start? (Neutral, don't you do this kind of thing?)

Old 10-25-2004, 04:59 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:10 AM
Shoot me an email LivLuv, I have hosting experience. oliveu2cm[at]yahoo.com

Old 10-25-2004, 07:07 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Thanks, I will later. Oh, and I downloaded the current contents of the site last night and it comes to about 3 gigs of data.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:45 AM   #4
genius of compression
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:10 AM
Yeah, I have 3 different hosts right now. 3 gigs is a pretty big site, it's hard to find an affordable host that will give you that much space. For that I'd recommend the host I use for my stuckinamoment site, Surpass. http://www.surpasshosting.com/

I have the Deluxe plan right now, it gives you 7 gigs of space and 75 gigs of bandwidth per month for $10. I'm getting about 500,000 hits a month right now and I'm about to have to upgrade my plan but that one should be fine for 100k/hits a month. I've been using them since June and only had 1 outage that lasted longer than 10 minutes.

Dreamhost is a good one too but I just looked at their plans and it would cost you $25 a month for that much space.

neutral @ interference.com
Old 10-25-2004, 01:24 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by neutral
Yeah, I have 3 different hosts right now. 3 gigs is a pretty big site, it's hard to find an affordable host that will give you that much space. For that I'd recommend the host I use for my stuckinamoment site, Surpass. http://www.surpasshosting.com/

I have the Deluxe plan right now, it gives you 7 gigs of space and 75 gigs of bandwidth per month for $10. I'm getting about 500,000 hits a month right now and I'm about to have to upgrade my plan but that one should be fine for 100k/hits a month.
That sounds about right. The site has a LOT of pics which I'm sure is the reason it's so big (www.nadiacomaneci.com). There's also a few video files but I will probably pull those depending on how often they're actually accessed. If you're getting 500,000/mo that should be fine. I know we get on average 100,000 but that's usually b/c it's slow and then spikes during gymnastics season (spikes WAAAAAAY up during an Olympic year).