‘We would love to kick Bono’

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Babydoll

Blue Crack Addict
LONDON: Irish rockers U2 say they would love to give their lead singer Bono ‘a really good kick’ but also admit that his perfection will not give them that opportunity.

According to contactmusic.com, the band is frequently frustrated by Bono’s busy schedule outside of making music, as well as his outspoken views on poverty and debt in the developing world. But despite their urgings, Bono’s success as an activist silences them.

Drummer Larry Mullen says: “Sometimes, I really wish he would do something that we could punch a really big hole into. Sometimes it’s just so constant — the meetings, the speaking, the mouth.

But in the end, even I have to say he’s doing a great job, and he’s getting things done. Look, if it was possible to have a really good kick at what he does, as a band we would have done it before anyone else.”

My own 2 cents: You'd think they'd be a little bit more supportive??

This is just one of those things... they're joking a bit!
if you read a serious thing, or see a serious interview, you can see/read that they are supporting him for the full 100%! Especially Edge, and besides, the band liked to work on an album without Bono for a while, because he was too hyperactive :D

Babydoll said:

Drummer Larry Mullen says: “Sometimes, I really wish he would do something that we could punch a really big hole into. Sometimes it’s just so constant — the meetings, the speaking, the mouth.

But in the end, even I have to say he’s doing a great job, and he’s getting things done. Look, if it was possible to have a really good kick at what he does, as a band we would have done it before anyone else.”

You gotta know Larry. That's the way he is. He's been quoted as saying that if anyone can critisize or put the band down first it should be themselves. That's the way Larry is. He says it like it is. But the key thing here is that even Larry ends up saying "he's doing a great job, he's getting things done', and for Larry to give a compliment at all...wow!

Galeongirl said:
besides, the band liked to work on an album without Bono for a while, because he was too hyperactive :D

So true. In the book "U2 at the end of the world" you can read where they even had a "no coffee" rule for Bono because they wanted him to be less hyper. Poor Bono :mad: !!

thankyou said:

So true. In the book "U2 at the end of the world" you can read where they even had a "no coffee" rule for Bono because they wanted him to be less hyper. Poor Bono :mad: !!
can you imagine how it is for the band now, when Bono drinks coffee daily???
heh I got it from a swedish interview, very cute... somewhere here I found it... in HQ, bono purple shirt... and larry made a funny remark to Bono there, Bono said that he couldn't remember something :larry: you allways can't Bono, you allways can't... I don't know why, but the last time, when I see interviews with larry, he looks... happy???? can that be true?????He smiles alot more often!
Oh and Bonos explanation: Everybody always says I'm hyperactive, but for me, everything else looks in slow-motion!
^^ gotta love that man!

i think that if the band were any less supportive....they would have split by now...or bono would have given up on the poverty campaign

so i think the rest of the band are supportive of bono...and it is understandable if they get frustrated with him at times...but they realise how important bono's role is in this fight and know how much it means to him

This could have possibly been taken out of context. It seems Larry's defending him, if anything.

I don't know, I don't really trust these things because it's so easy to take what they say the wrong way.

Galeongirl said:

can you imagine how it is for the band now, when Bono drinks coffee daily???

Oh and Bonos explanation: Everybody always says I'm hyperactive, but for me, everything else looks in slow-motion!
^^ gotta love that man!

Bono+Coffee=:drool:

I LOVE Bono and I LOVE coffee!!!!!:heart:

My opinion is that Bono is naturaly hyperactive!!!:hyper:

BonoFox1 said:

Bono+Coffee=:drool:

My opinion is that Bono is naturaly hyperactive!!!:hyper:

As a mother, with some experience behind me on the subject, I have no doubt that Bono as a kid was absolutely ADHD. This is something that continues into adulthood. If you read stories about him as a kid, he has just about every symptom in the book.
He's also unbelievably smart, which I am sure has helped him tremendously to compensate for his cute "hyper" self. :cute:
Not to mention that caring heart of his. :heart:

Babydoll said:
LONDON: Irish rockers U2 say they would love to give their lead singer Bono ‘a really good kick’ but also admit that his perfection will not give them that opportunity.

According to contactmusic.com, the band is frequently frustrated by Bono’s busy schedule outside of making music, as well as his outspoken views on poverty and debt in the developing world. But despite their urgings, Bono’s success as an activist silences them.

There's a bucketload of sarcasm in that para. I wouldn't take things so seriously.

I hate Contact Music. They're always taking bits of interviews out of context and making a big deal out of them. :mad:

Read the original interviews if you really want to find out about the band.

The quote is originally from The Observer.

Full quote:
Minutes before U2 are due on stage one night or another in Montreal, drummer Larry Mullen Jr., who founded the group and in a gang of strong, proud characters is the most erratically protective of the idea of U2 as Great Rock Group on a wild perfectionist mission, ponders the issue of Bono as ubiquitous world saviour, or high-concept heckler, or plain old busybody.

"Sometimes I really wish he would do something that we could punch a big hole into. I'd really enjoy that -- to go up to him and say, you fucker. Sometimes, it's just so constant, the meetings, the speaking, the mouth, but in the end even I have to say he's doing a great job, and he's getting things done. Look, if it was possible to have a really good kick at what he does, as a band we would have done it before anyone else. During the recording of our album, he'll be away on a venture, and it's like, great, peace. He gets impatient in the studio, and we tell him to fuck off, go and meet George Bush. And he does! Maybe it's our fault! And then he comes back and he's been working on a lyric and he's fresh and really into it. So it does work out."

Back
Top Bottom