Wake Up Dead Man: Part 6 *Re-read, I changed it*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SimplyConfused

War Child
Bowie was right! There IS life on Mars! Well, Newc
Right, it was pointed out to me that the other Part 6 was a bit inconsistent, so I've changed it. I would have just changed it on the other one, but seeing as you can't edit after an hour, well I've had to repost it. The start is the same, but half way through, I re-wrote it. Enjoy.

Disclaimer: A load of garbage.

------------------------------

“Can you help me? What do you think I should do?” I asked Edge. “I talked to Adam and he doesn’t know what to do. Says there isn’t anything I can do!”

“I… I don’t know what to say,” Edge said, shock still there. “He’s still alive.”

“But what should I do?” I whinged like a little girl.

Edge shook himself back to Earth. “I don’t know. There isn’t anything you can do. I’m afraid I’m with Adam on this one.”

I couldn’t believe it! Why does no one know what to do! Maybe they’re right. That I can’t do anything. He probably has made himself scarce by now. No point in going back down under. “OK then. I’ll just grin and bear it. But this is going to be pretty frustrating for me. Not being able to get my hands on him to strangle him!” I joked. “It’s just so hard! Knowing he’s out there and not being able to see him.”

“I know, but everything will turn right in the end. He’ll come to his senses. He always does, no matter how long it takes him.”

“Thanks Edge. That makes me feel a lot better.” I smiled and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek.

I turned away from Edge and we carried on with the dishes. When the task was completed, we made our way through to the living room where everyone else was sat, talking. I headed over to Jack, who was talking with Adam, and sat beside him on the settee. We talked for a while, and then the phone rang.

“I’ll get it,” I said. I went out into the hall and picked it up.

“Hello?” I asked.

“Hey, Jordan. How is everybody?” It was Larry. Something must have happened. He’s usually rather moody. But his voice was light and care-free.

“We’re all fine. You seem happy. Anything good happened?” I asked.

“We’ll be coming home tomorrow. Got everything finally sorted out. It’s a relief. No more switching between countries,” he burst out. I could hear the grin make it’s way down the phone line.

“That’s great! Looking forward to see you.” Maybe now, Larry would lighten up. We might have the old Larry back. The one who only pretended to be mean and moody. Said he did it for the female fans, that they liked it. I can imagine.

“How was your trip in Australia?” he asked.

Trying not to think about what happened, I answered: “It was grand. Lovely. I really enjoyed myself. Although Jack did get ill and we had to call a doctor.”

“Aww, shame. Hope it didn’t ruin the holiday, and I hope he’s OK,” he said.

“He’s fine now.”

“Good. Anyway, anyone else there?” he asked.

“Yeah, we got Adam, Edge, Morleigh, Ma, Eve, Jack, Elijah and John. Take your pick.”

“Put me onto your mother so I can apologise most profusely for not being able to be there for her wonderful dinner.” God, I hope this Larry’s gonna stay! Rolling my eyes, I said OK and called Ma. She took the phone from me and began a conversation with Larry. Soon, Adam talked to him, and then Larry had to go because of the phone bill. You think being the drummer of a famous band would pay well, but seeing as the band split up five years ago, well there hasn’t been much of an income. Only that of the record sales.

For the next few months, I did my best to forget about my dad. At first, it was quite hard, the memory still being fresh in my mind. But after a while, it got easier. I was thinking of other things. It was almost summer, so I had a break from university. Jack and I went for another little break, off to France this time. We used the house that our family had purchased many years back when Da had had a dream about two houses. All in all, we had a fun time.

When we got back, the trees had begun to shed themselves of their leaves and autumn was on it’s way. Four days till I went back to university, I was around at Ma’s house again for dinner. Larry had joined us this time with Ann, and his two daughters and one son. Aaron, John and Elijah were playing football in the backyard after dinner while the rest of us were in the living room. This time, Sian (who had, thankfully, fully recovered from the leukaemia she had) and Levi had joined us. Hollee was also there, but Arran nor Blue Angel were in the country at the time.

I was seated between Larry and Jack, having a conversation about Harleys. Well, it is pretty much a one sided conversation when Harleys are involved when it comes to Larry. I’m could be an expert about the bike now. If I’d ever paid attention to him.

The phone rang and Ma got up to answer it. When she came back, she had a puzzled expression, albeit smiling. “Jordan, it’s for you. A Mr James Brown.” She sniggered when she said that then shook her head. “Kids these days… He says he needs to ‘have a word with you’.” She said the last part in a very posh English accent.

I was very confused. I knew of no one called James Brown, except the singer, but I didn’t know him personally. Nevertheless, I got up and walked into the hall to take the phone call. Ma gave the phone to me and headed back to the living room.

“Hello?” I asked, a bit apprehensive as to who was on the other side of the line.

“Hi.” That voice sounded familiar.

“Hi… Can I ask who’s speaking?”

“Don’t you recognise your father’s voice when you hear it?” the voice said.

What? My dad? Yeah right, some one was clearly pulling a prank on me. I hated it when people did that! I was going to give this guy a piece of my mind. Although he did do a good Bono impression.

“Yeah, OK Mister, you’ve had your fun, but you can feck off. Do you know that it’s not a very funny prank to play around with people’s emotions? You wanker,” I half yelled down the phone. Then I hung up on him.

I walked away from the phone and was about to re-enter the living room when the phone rang again. I guessed who it would be but in case I was wrong, I went back to the phone to pick it up.

“What?” I said.

“Why did you go hang up on me for? I’m not playing a prank on you! If you don’t trust me, then meet me outside The Clarence at seven o’clock tonight.” Oh, it was ‘Dad’. So I was right.

“What makes you think I’m going to go meet up with someone who is pretending to be my father? It’s not funny to play with people’s emotions like that,” I vented.

“Fine, you don’t have to, but you’ll forever be wondering if it is me or not,” the voice said. He read my mind. Well, I suppose I could take Adam or Edge for protection if it is some motherfucker. Which it most probably is.

“Right, hang on there,” I said, and I put the phone on the table. I walked back to the living room and poke my head around the door. “Adam? Edge? Do you mind if I speak to you?” They both nodded and got up.

“You OK? We heard to you yelling,” Adam asked, concerned.

“Actually, no, I’m not. There’s a guy on the phone who’s pretending to my dad, well at least I think he is. He’s doing a very good impression of him. And he’s asked me to meet him at The Clarence tonight, seeing as I don’t believe him. But there’s this doubt in my mind, like it could be him, because of what happened in Australia. And I’m not sure whether to go or not,” I explained.

“Don’t go,” Edge said immediately. “It’s definitely some arse being insensitive.”

Adam looked a bit surprised when Edge wasn’t asking what happened in Australia. I told him that Edge knew too.

“Wait, hang on. Jordan does have a point. Maybe he has seen sense and come back. But it’s up to you, Jordan. I’m coming if you decide to go, though. It might not be him, and it gets darker now. I won’t have you waiting for someone who could turn out to be a rapist. Not where I’m concerned,” Adam said.

“Well, actually, that’s what I was going to ask you. If you’d come. I’m pretty apprehensive about it. Most likely, it is a joke, but I can’t help wondering. I’d probably chew my insides up just thinking about it if I didn’t go.” I let out a sigh and looked up tat Edge.

“When you put it like that, then fine, we’ll go show this wanker up.” But I knew he had a little but of doubt in his mind too.

“Right, well I’ll tell him.” I picked up the phone and said, “Could I ask you something? Why did you say your name was James Brown? In a posh English accent when my mother answered the phone?”

“Because I wanted to speak to you without her asking too many questions. I assumed she’d recognise my voice.”

“Congratulations. An Irishman calling our house is so much more suspicious than a really posh English guy called James Brown,” I said, obviously sarcastically. “Now, would you stop calling this number and fuck off?”

I was about to put the phone down when he replied, “But what about what happened in Australia? You were more than willing to believe it was me, and now you’re pretty sceptical as to who is on the other end of this phone line.”

My mouth hung agape. Only me, Eve, Jack, Adam, Edge, and obviously my father, knew about what happened. And five of those people were in this house right at that moment.

I managed to collect myself. “What – what you on about? Nothing happened in Australia.” This guy must be him! Unless someone saw us. But it was dark and no one was near enough to hear what had happened.

“Sure it did. You were about to get mugged by someone and I went and stopped him. No one hurts my Jojo.” I was shocked.

“But… but no one knows about what happened except some people who are in this house right now, and my father,” I half whispered to the man on the phone.

“That’s because I’m your father. Look, I know it might be hard to believe but if you come tonight, you’ll know it’s me.”

“O… OK then. I… I’ll come,” I said. I put the phone down and turned around, still shocked.

“What? What’s wrong?” Adam asked.

-----------------------------

Back
Top Bottom