Vote Larry Sexiest Vegetarian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
evillaurd said:
Apparently Guinness is unsuitable for veggies (something to do with the method of extacting the yeast, I think)...I'm sure Larry'll overlook that one! I can't vote for him though, it says that I 'omitted a required field in group 2' despite having filled everything in. Grr! Well, I've voted for him in spirit at least!

There are two groups. In the first group are the men and in the second are the women. You have to vote for a female celebrity as well. :wink:

really?? i hadn't heard about the guinness. do you know more about it? i'm curious! i was at the guinness storehouse last year and didn't see anything that was alarming. but...i probably overlooked it. that place is mesmerizing! :drool:

4 Guinness

Guinness was the winner of this year's Vegetarian Society Imperfect World Award, for its lack of vegetarian-friendly credentials - like many cask ales and stouts, it is fined with isinglass. Isinglass is a form of collagen, and hails from the swimbladders of fish. It is used mainly to accelerate the clarification of wine and beer, and though little remains in the product when served, its involvement in the brewing process renders Guinness non-vegetarian. A veggie-friendly alternative would be Irish moss, used by an increasing number of microbreweries. Marble brewery in Manchester doesn't fine its beers at all, so they are veggie friendly.

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/food/story/0,,2079769,00.html

Totally off track from Larry....

I for one cannot live without Guinness! :no: It's all I drink when I got out! :( I don't remember seeing any "not suitable for vegetarians" signs when I was in Ireland! I'm still drinking it! In fact, I will be drinking a lot of it tonight :yes: I was actually amazed with all of the vegetarian options in Ireland. Also impressed by the way there's the "suitable" or "not suitable" disclaimers on things as little as a candy bar or package of crackers! It's becoming more common in the US, but not as much as it could be, for places to mark things on their menu. I'm in the pastry program at a culinary school and I always remind the culinary students that there are meatless people in the world! Some are horrified to find out that I don't eat meat and question why I'm at a culinary school. :huh: Pastries and meat are sooo different. :yes:

^ :yes:
I too was impressed with the vegetarian options in Ireland. I like how just about all the food products were marked whether they were suitable or not suitable. I had no idea it was so common there!

sidenote: your sig always makes me hungry, and i usually don't eat sweets! you're definitely doing a great job! :up:

MullenGirl said:

There are two groups. In the first group are the men and in the second are the women. You have to vote for a female celebrity as well. :wink:

Ah, thanks muchly, got it now! :wink: And yes, Isinglass was what it was. I read it in an article in the Irish News (after the decision against adding rennet by Mars) and thought it was interesting - and saddening, seeing as I'm vegetarian myself and quite enjoy Guinness. But I'm guessing either Larry'll ignore it or be the one to spearhead a protest against Guinness to make it veggie-friendly!

Hey, arw... never knew you were vegetarian! I'm a card-carrying carnivore, I couldn't imagine giving up meat, though I should (we all should) eat far less!

As for Larry... I have read that he actually isn't veg anymore... don't remember where it was, exactly, but it was in the last year or two. It may well have been here on Interference, too... so I wouldn't bet the house on it!!

I voted for him anyway, of course!! (again) :wink:

GracelandHarley said:
Hey, arw... never knew you were vegetarian! I'm a card-carrying carnivore, I couldn't imagine giving up meat, though I should (we all should) eat far less!

As for Larry... I have read that he actually isn't veg anymore... don't remember where it was, exactly, but it was in the last year or two. It may well have been here on Interference, too... so I wouldn't bet the house on it!!

I voted for him anyway, of course!! (again) :wink:

did anyone found anything about that?

evillaurd said:

Ah, thanks muchly, got it now! :wink: And yes, Isinglass was what it was. I read it in an article in the Irish News (after the decision against adding rennet by Mars) and thought it was interesting - and saddening, seeing as I'm vegetarian myself and quite enjoy Guinness. But I'm guessing either Larry'll ignore it or be the one to spearhead a protest against Guinness to make it veggie-friendly!

Some vegetarians just don't eat meat because they don't like it. So maybe Larry is, or was, in that group, and doesn't get bothered with the isinglass in Guinness and other things.

In Germany people wouldn't confuse vegetarians with vegans, but ask, "What's a vegan?" ;)
It's not that common here.

i seriously doubt larry be vegetarian and have muscles like that. all vegetarians i know are fat! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :yes: :yes:

someone said at the Everything you know is Wrong thred to vote for Chris Martin instead: who's that???

and waht's the deal with the bull's blood? he really takes shot of that?? for what? hope he don't get madcow :mad: :drool: :madspit: :lol:

ZagarX said:

someone said at the Everything you know is Wrong thred to vote for Chris Martin instead: who's that???

and waht's the deal with the bull's blood? he really takes shot of that?? for what? hope he don't get madcow :mad: :drool: :madspit: :lol:

Chris Martin

Larry used bull's blood during the Zoo TV era to help him feel less pain because of his crooked spine. It's confirmed in the book U2 At The End Of The World.

thx melonlemon. that's weird lol. well he prolly get fat with all those carbs. nothin to eat but carbs when you're a veggie. tofu turns men gay, lol!!! and turns women into b*tches on wheels! it's filled with estrogens:lmao: :lmao: but then again so do commercial burgers (filled with female hormones too!) and wheat kills. i'm personly against vegetarianism. animals r tasty. :lmao: eat a cow = get skinny.
eat a grain= get fat and die! :lmao:

ZagarX said:
thx melonlemon. that's weird lol. well he prolly get fat with all those carbs. nothin to eat but carbs when you're a veggie. tofu turns men gay, lol!!! and turns women into b*tches on wheels! it's filled with estrogens:lmao: :lmao: but then again so do commercial burgers (filled with female hormones too!) and wheat kills. i'm personly against vegetarianism. animals r tasty. :lmao: eat a cow = get skinny.
eat a grain= get fat and die! :lmao:

That is so rude and potentially offensive to other members here. Please refrain from making such posts.

That post made me laugh for a good ten minutes...

As a Vegetarian/Vegan (I'm currently in the slow process of converting), it would appear that I am one of the few who does it for ethical reasons...

I certainly do not want to get into an argument about the whole animal rights issue but I will say that PETA tends to get a bad name simply because they are the most public of AR organizations. They are not militant; the "violent" ones are the ALF (Animal Liberation Front) and others who are not affiliated with PETA.

I personally do not agree with the majority of what PETA does, as a member of a Toronto AR organization, I constantly have to tell people, no, I am not with PETA. I do respect them for making the issue known. I honestly believe people would know very little about animal rights without PETA so I give them that...

^ I've always wondered why PETA is so well known and other AR groups are not. I'm paranoid, and I tend to think it is just the meat packing industry at work :conspiracy:. Like, covert agents disguised as regular media go out to report all of PETA's crazy stuff, just to make them look silly and lose credibility...which they do, and that certainly makes it easier to dismiss their causes. I just don't think that the stuff that other groups are doing is getting more attention.

Problem is that PETA uses billboards very much, has the support of more celebrities than any other animal rights organisation, if not all organisations, and they have done quite a few actions that have been very arguable, but got them some attention.

Its "marketing strategy" is working better.
But I don't agree with their strategies and would support other, smaller organisations, or the WWF or Greenpeace.

PETA is a bit like the National Enquirer of animal rights organisations, but because it's very into self promotion it's the only one most people know. It relies too heavily on celebrities -- many who are flaky at best -- to push their agenda. Plus it can be a bit sanctimonious which doesn't go over very well either.

Back
Top Bottom