Update on The Clarence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biff

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
From The Irish Independent:

Makeover plans for U2 hotel on ice as Council raises questions

By Larissa Nolan
Tuesday June 05 2007

U2's plans to turn the Clarence into "the most spectacular hotel in Europe" are on hold, after council officials issued a deadline to the supergroup to respond to a lengthy list of questions about the project.

Dublin City Council's planning department says the status of the planning application is currently dormant, as it awaits a response from the owners, due before the end of September.

Bono and The Edge, who own the hotel in trendy Temple Bar in Dublin, want to take over the five protected structure buildings adjoining the Clarence and to erect a spaceship-like glass dome 'skycatcher' building on the top in a €150m revamp.

It would quadruple the size of the hotel, transforming it into the biggest in the city, visible from both north and south of the Liffey.

The department has written to the hotel owners, the Clarence Partnership, requesting answers to what it describes as 18 key questions.

The department points out that under Section 57 of the Planning and Development Act states that authorities will not grant planning permission for the demolition of a protected structure, save in exceptional circumstances.

Detail

It states that it requires the strongest justification to do so and wants the owners to address this matter in detail. A hefty portion of the queries relate to the ambitious skycatcher glass dome, a Viking boat-shaped atrium stretching from the basement to the rooftop.

The council has also asked the applicants to clarify the numbers and purpose of all proposed openings onto both Wellington Quay and Essex Street East. The council wants more information and details on drawings and plans and requests clarification on the nature of the proposed retail area. Alise Devlin of the planning department said the Clarence Partnership must provide this information before the end of September. "We made the request on March 26 and they have six months from that date to respond," she said.

"We have not heard anything back from them yet, but that is not very unusual in these cases. So at the moment, the status of the application is dormant."

Bono plans to demolish the Georgian building and transform the 44-bedroom boutique hotel into a nine-storey, 141-bedroom five-star hotel and spa complete with signature restaurant, bar and fresh food market.

The new hotel will encompass the former Dollard printing works and four other Georgian buildings on Wellington Quay.

Objectors to the plan include An Taisce, the heritage trust, who say the proposal is completely inappropriate for both the protected structures and their historic city-centre location, and the Irish Georgian Society, which believes that the development would dwarf adjoining buildings and dominate the Liffey quays.

The Clarence hotel was established in 1852 and bought by Bono and The Edge in 1992. Despite being the hotel of choice for international celebrities, it has incurred losses of €1.2m.

- Larissa Nolan

Thanks biff! :up:

biff said:
Bono plans to demolish the Georgian building and transform the 44-bedroom boutique hotel into a nine-storey, 141-bedroom five-star hotel

:huh: I never thought they would demolish The Clarence(?!), just include the surrounding buildings in some fancy way... sounds like a no-go to me then! :tsk:

A wise decision by the Dublin City Council. :rockon:

The Clarence is fine just the way it is.

^ :lol:

I heartily agree with you all, despite having never set foot in Dublin. I have to say, this whole plan sounds a bit OTT, even for Bono... :huh:

I was just thinking that, if I remember well, the Clarence is surrounded by old buildings that aren't used these days. I don't see anything bad in demolishing them so that their space can be used.

I had dinner there in April and sadly was not impressed... I think the outside should stay as is for historical purposes however the interior needs a major overhaul and some style; felt like I was in a college dorm (not to mention the menu/food which was a major disappointment for the price);

ps - if you go, don't let the hot head waiter talk you into the squab... terrible

^^^ ya, I think that I read somewhere when Bono was discussing building the new stuido towers that they wanted to transform Dublin's skyline to fit with the prosperous times Ireland is experiencing right now. So maybe re-vamping Temple Bar area is on the agenda also. Hmmm... not sure how I feel about that. Sounds a bit Trump-esque to me, blehhh.:yuck:

Maybe this is part of Bono's vision for the future so maybe this will be a good thing in the long run?? who knows??But I must say preserving the past and the heritage of Dublin is important too.

I agree that preserving the past is a worthy sentiment, but the fact is that The Clarence is simply too small to be profitable. They definitely need to enlarge and update the hotel in order to keep it running. Otherwise I think they will just close it. It's a big money loser as it is now.

And note who the article is written by: our old friend Larissa Nolan, she of the "poor misteated Lola" submissions. You note she says, "Bono plans to demolish the Georgian building...." This is a good example of her usual anti-Bono bias showing through, along with her tabloid style of expression. 1) This project has been proposed by Bono, Edge and several other people who are their partners in this. (But of course it's always only about Bono.)
2) They do NOT plan to "demolish" the building. The facade will be retained and many of the interior fixtures, including all of the wood from the Octagon Bar.

yea Biff, I think you're right... it's a very biased view, and I was annoyed by the fact it's once again Bono this, Bono that :blah:

I think they should keep the clarence outside as it is, but I don't think it'd be that much of a problem if non-used buildings next to it are used to enlarge the hotel..

biff said:
I2) They do NOT plan to "demolish" the building. The facade will be retained and many of the interior fixtures, including all of the wood from the Octagon Bar.

Okay, that was what I thought as well...

Never realised who wrote the article, but that explains it! Thanks biff! :up:

Galeongirl said:
yea Biff, I think you're right... it's a very biased view, and I was annoyed by the fact it's once again Bono this, Bono that :blah:

I think they should keep the clarence outside as it is, but I don't think it'd be that much of a problem if non-used buildings next to it are used to enlarge the hotel..

Well, I can understand why some people might object....

000022a.jpg

000022.jpg

....I mean if they were to build something like this in say Las Vegas, I doubt if anyone would so much as bat an eye lid but slap in the middle of Dublin....it's all Edge's fault, if you ask me!!:wink:

On a lighter note, GG I just noticed your new avatar! :lol: Oooh yes please!! :drool:

:wink: Actually..hc..it doesn't Look That bad, it's not oversizing the sky line the way those 'concepts' look. And it's true, the Clarence does need to improve....could be a good thing, change!!:yes:

biff said:

And note who the article is written by: our old friend Larissa Nolan, she of the "poor misteated Lola" submissions. You note she says, "Bono plans to demolish the Georgian building...." This is a good example of her usual anti-Bono bias showing through, along with her tabloid style of expression.

I was about to say...:wink:

You have to take everything she writes w/ a grain of salt.

On @u2.com there was an article written by her about his NY apartment. Had a few inaccuracies:ohmy:

..A spaceship-like glass dome 'skycatcher' ..a Viking boat-shaped atrium ? Sounds a little like Vegas or Disneyland there. Perhaps they should open a Hotel in Vegas..as if Vegas needs another monstrosity/hotel..

:shifty:

tbird said:
I had dinner there in April and sadly was not impressed... I think the outside should stay as is for historical purposes however the interior needs a major overhaul and some style; felt like I was in a college dorm (not to mention the menu/food which was a major disappointment for the price);

ps - if you go, don't let the hot head waiter talk you into the squab... terrible

Thanks for the warning, I am going there in a week...

ps - if you go, don't let the hot head waiter talk you into the squab... terrible [/B]

I have to know...is that a hot headed waiter or a hot, head waiter?:sexywink:

Val said:

I have to know...is that a hot headed waiter or a hot, head waiter?:sexywink:

very handsome waiter with accent who described the squab as "gorgeous" (typical irish); it was ass but he looked tasty!

I personally don't think that there new design fits in with the rest of Dublin city centre they should just leave it the way it is and the reason they have had so much losses is that its only a handfull who can actually afford to stay there and they are obviously the very elite and so there losing more than they are gaining.

Back
Top Bottom