U2takemehigher.com gone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm there at least once a week looking for photos :shocked: :sad:
I was just there maybe two or three days ago, but since I noticed this thread I haven't been able to open it :sigh:

That was one of the first sites I would go to when I first got into U2. :( Me and my friend used to go there to look at pictures of Larry.

I tried it on Olive's birthday in Dec. and it still worked, but hadn't been updated in a long time. Maybe she let it go at the end of the year rather than pay up anymore. I can't speak for her, but maybe she feels, like I do about my own collection, that our pics aren't needed anymore. At one time, Olive and I were the pic queens of PLEBA and had more pics than anyone and members always came to us for stuff they needed. But now there are lots of others who have more, and we have been lost in the dust of time. Olive paid a lotof money for her site, even paying a higher price to get more bandwidth when it was being used up. She never complained or asked anyone to stop using her pics. All were welcome. Wherever you are, Olive, your site rocked and we were glad to have had it. :hug:

U2Girl1978 said:
:( That's too bad. Her bandwidth was probably getting sucked dry by people who were hotlinking her pics. :shrug:

Olive never cared about that. Like I said in my above post, if the bandwidth ran out, she'd pay for more out of her own pocket and never once complained. She probably just took it down due to lack of interest compared to the past, and not having enough time to keep up with it like she used to.

U2Kitten said:

Olive never cared about that. Like I said in my above post, if the bandwidth ran out, she'd pay for more out of her own pocket and never once complained. She probably just took it down due to lack of interest compared to the past, and not having enough time to keep up with it like she used to.

Ahhh ok. There were alot of great pics on there too. Sad to see it go.

U2Kitten said:
I tried it on Olive's birthday in Dec. and it still worked, but hadn't been updated in a long time. Maybe she let it go at the end of the year rather than pay up anymore. I can't speak for her, but maybe she feels, like I do about my own collection, that our pics aren't needed anymore. At one time, Olive and I were the pic queens of PLEBA and had more pics than anyone and members always came to us for stuff they needed. But now there are lots of others who have more, and we have been lost in the dust of time. Olive paid a lotof money for her site, even paying a higher price to get more bandwidth when it was being used up. She never complained or asked anyone to stop using her pics. All were welcome. Wherever you are, Olive, your site rocked and we were glad to have had it. :hug:

:yes: We were very glad to have it, it was very much both admired and appreciated. It was definitley my favorite fan site especially for photos. It always impressed me and now even more so.

I guess you don't know what you have until its gone sometimes :(

U2Kitten said:

There were actually several times that she asked people to stop hotlinking. It was an ongoing problem.

Aw, wow. I had no idea so many people still used that site! Let me assure you it's not that I have lost any interest in the band! (That's one thing that'll never happen. ;)) Basically it was a lot of money to run the site every month, and since I wasn't maintaining it I didn't think people visited much. :hmm: well I will always own the url so if need be I can put it back up at some point.

thanks everyone :hug:

oliveu2cm said:
Aw, wow. I had no idea so many people still used that site! Let me assure you it's not that I have lost any interest in the band! (That's one thing that'll never happen. ;)) Basically it was a lot of money to run the site every month, and since I wasn't maintaining it I didn't think people visited much. :hmm: well I will always own the url so if need be I can put it back up at some point.

Thanks for the good times, Olive! :hug:

u2granny said:

There were actually several times that she asked people to stop hotlinking. It was an ongoing problem.

Must've missed that. I was thinking of the old days I guess, when she used to tell us she was paying more because we enjoyed it so much. Back then it was hard to find a good photohosting site, and her site was needed badly. Back in 01-03, it seemed like every time we found a good place to host our pics, (like Webshots) they stopped allowing us to post. Snapfish was free but full of hassle. Once photobucket came along, everyone could host their own pics free so most people don't post from sites anymore.

It's so cheap to buy your own hosting now. I pay less than $5 a month, but for $7 a month with another service you get the domain free for life, 250 GB of storage, and 2500 GB monthly bandwidth (right now I get 30). I'm switching to this service the next time my domains expire.

My Ali Hewson site runs out of bandwidth around the 25th of each month. I can tell who is downloading what with the Webalizer, so I'm not willing to increase my hosting plan because of spammers and people constantly downloading the same videos. Currently, the only domains allowed to hotlink from my sites are forum.interference.com and the other domains I own.

oliveu2cm said:

:hug:

Liesje I'd love to get that information off you sometime. Good to know about that.

Perhaps this thread answers my 2nd question "even if I don't update it, people still want the site up?"

oliveu2cm said:
Liesje I'd love to get that information off you sometime. Good to know about that.

Perhaps this thread answers my 2nd question "even if I don't update it, people still want the site up?"

I know it's not a real website, but for those of you who don't know html fotki is not a bad deal. It's 30 bucks a YEAR with unlimited bandwidth for posting. The only thing that sucks is they shrink your pics (postable versions only) like snapfish. But it's a good way to display them and it doesn't make your bandwidth run out like photobucket so you can share and not have to pay more or complain. They give you unlimited bandwidth and unlimited pic storage. That's why I always say it's okay to hotlink me. (right now my page is down but when I get it back up you can all hotlink again.) Just an idea for those of you who want your own page. It's a good way to organize the albums.

oliveu2cm said:

Sure. I currently use surpasshosting.com which is $16/yr for the domain and my current plan is $4.94/mo with 2GB of storage and 30GB of bandwidth. Since I started, other providers have really lowered rates. Lunarpages.com has free domain reg for life and $6.95/mo gets you 250GB of storage and 2500GB bandwidth!!!

I use my personal websites for backups of most of my photos and other work, so I'm starting to run out of space. I'll be switching to lunarpages as soon as I have time to work it out.

If I'm going to pay for storage, I need something that I am managing, not some service that's shrinking my photos and disabling hotlinking (which I do anyway but typically allow forum.interference.com). I think hotlinking is really rude and if it's not disabled, your stuff shows up in the weirdest places. Like I said, I'm mostly uploading my own work so I can't have any person on the 'net downloading it and using it for their own purposes. I also disable right-click and use compressed images in my galleries. Certain people have access to full-res stuff on request.

DOn't feel you owe it to anyone to keep the site running. Anyone can set up a site in about 10 minutes and pay pennies a day for plenty of space.

Back
Top Bottom