U2's bodyguards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
More on the bodyguards

u2jesusgirl said:
Who was this guy (on the right) with Bono on the Achtung Baby Tour? I don't know if he was just with him in AZ or everywhere...But he was definately Bono's bodyguard that day.

Bono2withmymarkerhestole.jpg

About the picture in Mexico: (THAT's HIM)

The one on the right was with the band during Zoo TV tour. He met Depeche Mode in Barcelona (they were recording in Madrid and travelled to Barcelona to see U2 on tour. They stayed at the same hotel and met this guy). After that I've seen him touring with Depeche at least twice, on charge of Martin Gore. Last time in Barcelona I told him I had seen him working for U2 and he said: "That's right. It was then when i met this guy (Martin Gore)"

Re: Mele vs Meltzer

popbcn said:

Jerry Mele is the one you are showing on your pics. Nothing to see with Jerry Meltzer, on the pics I showed. Mele had to stop working as security guy after the mexico incident. Just read my first post.

popbcn

Im sorry..:(
I read sth else...my mistake

^He was very seriously injured... almost killed, in fact... in the automobile incident with the President's sons.

He had to retire permanently due to his injuries.

JCOSTER said:
Why did Jerry Mele have to stop working after the Mexico incident? Did he do something wrong?
He got badly hurt...I know he came here to Argentina after that...so he finished POPmart tour with them....

GracelandHarley said:
^He was very seriously injured... almost killed, in fact... in the automobile incident with the President's sons.

sorry GH I didnt see your post!!

GracelandHarley said:

:shocked: thats unbelievable. I do remember the story but I didn't know what happened to him.

What about names often mentioned in At the end of the world, AJ Rankin and Fintan "Fightin'" Fitzgerald ?

Security guys or did I remember that wrong ?

Ya, I remember reading about that somewhere too.
I think because of that incident it took a long time for U2 to come back and play in Mexico. Correct me if I am wrong but I can't remember Bono's exact words. It was recently, I think when they played Vertigo there, he was very diplomatic. That's always is the case these days it seems!

Re: Some light on this issue....

popbcn said:

Also a blonde guy I can't remeber his name at the moment, was with them in Popmart and after that has been head of security for the Rolling Stones while on tour. He ¡s in charge of Charlie Watts security.

Hope it helps.....

Popbcn

(Dark) Blonde guy was Eric (can't remember his last name), he was Bono's bodyguard during Popmart.

I've noticed that in the off-season that John tends to work the U.S. public appearances and Brian works the European ones but sometimes it's different. Don't see much, if any, of Jerry, David or Scott in the off-season.

MissMoo said:
Fintan was their clothing/hair guy back during Joshua Tree.

I think Fintan replaced the dreaded Lola Cashman after she left. I find it interesting that they went with a guy after that debacle. FF was the one who brought Bono the Fly shades. He found them in a fleamarket in Dublin I believe. He was definitely with them all through Zoo as he figures fairly prominently in Flanagan's book. Usually getting into or causing trouble. Possibly a bad influence on Bono as security generally frowned on Fintan and Bono together on the loose.

Dana

rihannsu said:

I think Fintan replaced the dreaded Lola Cashman after she left. I find it interesting that they went with a guy after that debacle. FF was the one who brought Bono the Fly shades. He found them in a fleamarket in Dublin I believe. He was definitely with them all through Zoo as he figures fairly prominently in Flanagan's book. Usually getting into or causing trouble. Possibly a bad influence on Bono as security generally frowned on Fintan and Bono together on the loose.

Dana

I bet they had good times though :)

I don't know his position vs Lola's but I did meet him in Arizona (when they were filming for Rattle & Hum) and that was 86 and our friend that knew him was teasing him about Bono's haircut.

"Johns has been working for Bono for 20 years." I don't think so, as I saw at least ten of the Joshua Tree shows and Bono's bodyguard was a short round dark haired guy. (I met Bono four times that tour). That would be twenty years ago. I remember seeing John somewhere around Zoo tv or Pop. So he may have been with them 15 or so years. Also, the time that I talked to him was Elevation tour, that's when he said that he used to work for Tom Cruise.

^ This was last September at the book signing. When I asked John how long has he been working for Bono and I quote, "19 years." Staight from his mouth. I think he should know. This year would be 20.

Back
Top Bottom