U2 Fans, 'Zine, and More

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > PLEBA > PLEBA Archive

Old 10-21-2007, 02:01 AM   #46
Refugee

Local Time: 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by major_panic
Larry Mullen needs a bodyguard?
Bono always says that the reason you don't want to ever mess with Larry is that he always has backup even when you think he doesn't. LOL

Dana

Old 10-21-2007, 03:46 AM   #47
The Fly

Local Time: 03:59 AM
Some light on this issue....

Quote:
Originally posted by JCOSTER

Brian who has a beautiful Irish accent. If not with Bono while he is lecturing he is usually seen with Edge on tour.

John Sampson who is just as sweet as could be. Has kids and is from Michigan (90% positive) goes on tour with Bono.

Jerry (Mele) could this be the same Jerry? He was very nice as well. Usually seen with Adam. But he was with Brian in Philadelphia keeping tabs on Bono.

I don't know this mans name but is usually seen with Adam and when all the guys are together. To me he looks like a Nigel
I'm not an expert on this but I've been on the road "with" U2 since Popmart tour and also on some events where just Bono appeared and I can add some light....

Following JCOSTER post I can add:

Brian (1st pic.) is Irish and I'd say his first tour as bodyguard of the band was Vertigo. He was in charge of Edge security and after that, as living in Ireland, he's been appearing with Bono several times. I know he was the only one of them that was in Cannes when the U2 3D premiere (the rest was french security), he was also there when I met Bono after the REM concert in Dublin, and if you check Bono's solo appearances, he's always there.

John Sampson (2nd pic) joined U2 tours in Elevation and repeated during Vertigo. I was on the Miami rehearsals and Jerry Meltzer introduced it to me as "the new guy". He's been also touring with The Roling Stones. He's taking care of Bono while on tour.

Jerry Meltzer (3rd pic) is taking care of Adam's security from Popmart tour at least and still there when Vertigo tour. Not to be confused with Jerry Mele (keep on reading).

"Grey hair man" (4th pic) . No idea who he is but he has been with the band on some appearances (not on tour). He was in with them when the Pre-Elevation tour in London, Paris, Madrid, Stockholm and Rio. Also with Bono in Barcelona when the Frock and Roll event on June'01. Once again with him in Cannes on Jan'05 at NRJ Awards and when the Abbey Road Sessions. I've seen him with Keith Ricahrds (not on tour) , Sean Connery , Tom Cruise and others.....

About the picture in Mexico:

The man on the left is Jerry Mele (not Meltzer), who was head of security untill the Mexico incident with Zedillo's sons. After that he had to retire and is true that visited the band during one of the Elevation shows in the USA.

The one on the right was with the band during Zoo TV tour. He met Depeche Mode in Barcelona (they were recording in Madrid and travelled to Barcelona to see U2 on tour. They stayed at the same hotel and met this guy). After that I've seen him touring with Depeche at least twice, on charge of Martin Gore. Last time in Barcelona I told him I had seen him working for U2 and he said: "That's right. It was then when i met this guy (Martin Gore)"

Other guys related with U2 security are :

Dave Gruyer is as someone said Larry's bodyguard at least since Popmart tour if not before.

Scott Nichols, who was with them in Popmart and I also saw him in Vertigo. He's more a head of security than a bodyguard. You'll barely see him with the band nowadays but he's in charge of "everything" (stadium security and that kind of stuff).

Also a blonde guy I can't remeber his name at the moment, was with them in Popmart and after that has been head of security for the Rolling Stones while on tour. He ¡s in charge of Charlie Watts security.

Hope it helps.....

Popbcn

Old 10-21-2007, 03:50 AM   #48
Bono™
Premium Gold Member

Local Time: 08:59 PM
cool.

Walk out, into a sunburst street...
Old 10-21-2007, 07:09 AM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by rihannsu

Bono always says that the reason you don't want to ever mess with Larry is that he always has backup even when you think he doesn't. LOL

Dana
See, the popular image of LMJ is that he IS his own backup... Or that his backup is his other fist...

Old 10-21-2007, 07:59 AM   #50
War Child

Local Time: 01:59 PM
Popbcn Thanks for helping

Jerry I remeber seeing him at the coast coast last year after a while he got bit snappy With me and few other people too we asking him all the time when will the boys come out he said he doesn't know .
I found this photo of him http://u2intotheheart.bravepages.com...rrymeltzer.jpg

Edge's bodyguard looks cute. http://u2intotheheart.bravepages.com...davidscott.jpg

source http://u2intotheheart.bravepages.com...endspics2.html

Old 10-21-2007, 08:41 AM   #51
The Fly

U2 bodyguards

Quote:
Edge's bodyguard looks cute.
Edge's bodyguard in those pics is Scott Nichols, no longer bodyguard.....(read my previous post)

Old 10-21-2007, 11:05 AM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:59 PM
Re: Some light on this issue....

Quote:
Originally posted by popbcn

I'm not an expert on this but I've been on the road "with" U2 since Popmart tour and also on some events where just Bono appeared and I can add some light....

John Sampson (2nd pic) joined U2 tours in Elevation and repeated during Vertigo. I was on the Miami rehearsals and Jerry Meltzer introduced it to me as "the new guy". He's been also touring with The Roling Stones. He's taking care of Bono while on tour.

"Grey hair man" (4th pic) . No idea who he is but he has been with the band on some appearances (not on tour). He was in with them when the Pre-Elevation tour in London, Paris, Madrid, Stockholm and Rio. Also with Bono in Barcelona when the Frock and Roll event on June'01. Once again with him in Cannes on Jan'05 at NRJ Awards and when the Abbey Road Sessions. I've seen him with Keith Ricahrds (not on tour) , Sean Connery , Tom Cruise and others.....

Popbcn
John Sampson has definately worked for U2 for 20 years. He told me himself at the NYC book signing.

The grey haired man has worked with them for many years definately before Elevation. I have seen pictures of him with dark hair.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:26 PM   #53
The Fly

Re: Re: Some light on this issue....

Quote:
Originally posted by JCOSTER

John Sampson has definately worked for U2 for 20 years. He told me himself at the NYC book signing.

The grey haired man has worked with them for many years definately before Elevation. I have seen pictures of him with dark hair.
Well......who knows. What I can confirm is that Jerry introduced him as the "new guy". Maybe he was working for the band but not touring with them or not as personal bodyguard. I have also checked 2 itinerary books I own from Popmart and one from The Joshua Tree tour and John Sampson doesn't appear on the list. We'll have to ask him again next time

About the grey haired man, you are probably right. I'm just saying he was there on the events I listed. Never said he wasn't with the band before.

Regards

popbcn

Old 10-21-2007, 03:30 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by major_panic
Larry Mullen needs a bodyguard?
where do we have to go to aplly for that job?

Old 10-21-2007, 04:00 PM   #55
Daisy
Premium Gold Member

Who was this guy (on the right) with Bono on the Achtung Baby Tour? I don't know if he was just with him in AZ or everywhere...But he was definately Bono's bodyguard that day.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:03 PM   #56
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: Earth to Blue Crack to Planet Fierce and back again
Local Time: 07:59 PM
^Ok so that is the same guy as in the mexico mountain pics...Its def not John...looks a bit like him though

Old 10-21-2007, 04:08 PM   #57
Daisy
Premium Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoFox1
^Ok so that is the same guy as in the mexico mountain pics...Its def not John...looks a bit like him though

Oh you are right, looks like the same guy!
He is definately not John...

Old 10-21-2007, 04:15 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Re: Some light on this issue....

Quote:
Originally posted by popbcn

Following JCOSTER post I can add:

Brian (1st pic.) is Irish and I'd say his first tour as bodyguard of the band was Vertigo. He was in charge of Edge security and after that, as living in Ireland, he's been appearing with Bono several times. I know he was the only one of them that was in Cannes when the U2 3D premiere (the rest was french security), he was also there when I met Bono after the REM concert in Dublin, and if you check Bono's solo appearances, he's always there.

Jerry Meltzer (3rd pic) is taking care of Adam's security from Popmart tour at least and still there when Vertigo tour. Not to be confused with Jerry Mele (keep on reading).

About the picture in Mexico:

The man on the left is Jerry Mele (not Meltzer), who was head of security untill the Mexico incident with Zedillo's sons. After that he had to retire and is true that visited the band during one of the Elevation shows in the USA.

The one on the right was with the band during Zoo TV tour. He met Depeche Mode in Barcelona (they were recording in Madrid and travelled to Barcelona to see U2 on tour. They stayed at the same hotel and met this guy). After that I've seen him touring with Depeche at least twice, on charge of Martin Gore. Last time in Barcelona I told him I had seen him working for U2 and he said: "That's right. It was then when i met this guy (Martin Gore)"

Other guys related with U2 security are :

Dave Gruyer is as someone said Larry's bodyguard at least since Popmart tour if not before.

Scott Nichols, who was with them in Popmart and I also saw him in Vertigo. He's more a head of security than a bodyguard. You'll barely see him with the band nowadays but he's in charge of "everything" (stadium security and that kind of stuff).

Also a blonde guy I can't remeber his name at the moment, was with them in Popmart and after that has been head of security for the Rolling Stones while on tour. He ¡s in charge of Charlie Watts security.

Hope it helps.....

Popbcn
thats not Jerry....
this is Jerry:

Old 10-21-2007, 04:16 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie

(the one with the headset)

(in shorts)

Old 10-21-2007, 04:25 PM   #60
The Fly

Mele vs Meltzer

Quote:
Originally posted by Laney_82

(the one with the headset)

(in shorts)
Jerry Mele is the one you are showing on your pics. Nothing to see with Jerry Meltzer, on the pics I showed. Mele had to stop working as security guy after the mexico incident. Just read my first post.

popbcn