U2's bodyguards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JCOSTER said:

John had said that its not easy working for him especially when he disappears on his own. He said he used to be the cute one and that Bono is the reason why he lost his hair! :giggle:

lmao :lol:

BonoFox1 said:
bojoparis.jpg

BOJO!!!!:drool:

:lmao: I just noticed John is carrying a 2nd pair of shades for Bono!!!

BonoFox1 said:
AA86.jpg

look at him hanging on to his boss :)

Best policy in the world, considering Bono's penchant for...disappearing..at inopportune moments. I'm sure he hasn't lost the habit. :giggle:

bonocomet said:

Who is on the left??
What else about John? Where abouts does he live(Ireland, USA,) and is he a family man?? can't imagine he is- as B would be a fulltime job almost to look after when needed.

this is a little dated but it's an interesting passage in U2 At The End of The World about the U2 security team.

The U2 security team could have been cast by Hollywood. Eric, blond and blue-eyed, is the good guy. A former fireman, county sheriff, and rescue worker, he can describe the horror of sorting through a plane crash in a way that will make you take trains forever, but he looks like the boy next door all the cheerleaders have crushes on. He is usually assigned to Bono. If Eric's the white hat, then David Guyer, Larry's man, is the black hat. Tall, dark, bearded, and moody, David came up on the wrong side of the law and still carries himself with the quiet menace of a bad-ass who knows he is always the toughest guy in the saloon. Scott Nichols, who covers Edge, is a young law-enforcement student getting some experience in security before going on to a career in police work. Scott is as handsome as a movie star, with slicked-back Elvis hair and a pumped-up body. Women on the tour try to angle to sit next to Scott in the van. All the bodyguards are American. In cowboy shorthand, Eric is Kevin Costner, David is the young Clint Eastwood, and Scott is Little Joe Cartwright. (Adam usually ducks having security.)

They were hand-picked by Jerry Mele, the security chief and a character worthy of his own book. Mele grew up in New York and served in an elite unit in Vietnam doing the most dangerous work--going behind enemy lines to bring terror to the Vietcong, sleeping tied upright to a tree, waging war close-up. After his first tour he volunteered for a second, but halfway through that round he had some sort of spiritual awakening and decided what he was doing was wrong. He came home with a drug and drink habit that he kicked by tying himself to a bed and telling his mother that no matter how much he screamed or begged, she was not to untie him. This is a tough guy.

"I've seen both Jerry and David have to take somebody out when they were forced to," Larry says. "It's not a pretty sight. Their power and authority comes from knowing they can kill someone, and not wanting to ever have to prove it."

Last edited:
BonoLibertyMedal044-1.jpg

Brian who has a beautiful Irish accent. If not with Bono while he is lecturing he is usually seen with Edge on tour.

bigjohn.jpg

John Sampson who is just as sweet as could be. Has kids and is from Michigan (90% positive) goes on tour with Bono.

NJ2-1.jpg

Jerry (Mele) could this be the same Jerry? He was very nice as well. Usually seen with Adam. But he was with Brian in Philadelphia keeping tabs on Bono.

DSCF0313.jpg

I don't know this mans name but is usually seen with Adam and when all the guys are together. To me he looks like a Nigel :shrug:

Last edited:
From U2Faqs.com

In the Mexico City PopMart video, Bono tells the crowd at one point, "We almost lost a brother last night." What's the story behind that?

After the first concert in Mexico City one night earlier, there was an incident involving U2's chief of security, Jerry Mele, and the sons of Mexican President Ernesto Zedillo. As the story goes, bodyguards protecting the Zedillo sons tried to leave the concert through a restricted area and ended up in a fight with TV crews using heavy equipment in the area. As the President's sons were leaving by car, Mele tried to get them to stop by standing in front of their car. They refused to stop, accelerating slowly until Mele was off the car. The accident left Mele with severe injuries, and that tour (which ended 9 days later) was the last he worked for U2.

Last edited:
If you check the credits on any of the DVD's (starting on the ones from ELevation...) Scott Nichols is now the security chief ...replacing Jerry Mele...I read somewhere that he (JM) went to visit U2 on their first show during the Elevation tour..

That Zoo era picture is definitely not John Sampson. I remember seeing that guy with Bono at one of the shows.

I'm new here, but this subject caught my eye. Does anyone know about the security they have in Dublin? I'm going there for the first time and want to visit Bono's gates. Has anyone met with the guards there, is security tight?

Laney_82 said:
If you check the credits on any of the DVD's (starting on the ones from ELevation...) Scott Nichols is now the security chief ...replacing Jerry Mele...I read somewhere that he (JM) went to visit U2 on their first show during the Elevation tour..

So a different Jerry.

As far as Bonos gates are concerned, if you approach and stay there for a long time I hear they chase you away. :shrug:

major_panic said:
:laugh: Larry Mullen needs a bodyguard? :laugh:

Bono always says that the reason you don't want to ever mess with Larry is that he always has backup even when you think he doesn't. LOL

Dana

Some light on this issue....

JCOSTER said:
BonoLibertyMedal044-1.jpg

Brian who has a beautiful Irish accent. If not with Bono while he is lecturing he is usually seen with Edge on tour.

bigjohn.jpg

John Sampson who is just as sweet as could be. Has kids and is from Michigan (90% positive) goes on tour with Bono.

NJ2-1.jpg

Jerry (Mele) could this be the same Jerry? He was very nice as well. Usually seen with Adam. But he was with Brian in Philadelphia keeping tabs on Bono.

DSCF0313.jpg

I don't know this mans name but is usually seen with Adam and when all the guys are together. To me he looks like a Nigel :shrug:

I'm not an expert on this but I've been on the road "with" U2 since Popmart tour and also on some events where just Bono appeared and I can add some light....

Following JCOSTER post I can add:

Brian (1st pic.) is Irish and I'd say his first tour as bodyguard of the band was Vertigo. He was in charge of Edge security and after that, as living in Ireland, he's been appearing with Bono several times. I know he was the only one of them that was in Cannes when the U2 3D premiere (the rest was french security), he was also there when I met Bono after the REM concert in Dublin, and if you check Bono's solo appearances, he's always there.

John Sampson (2nd pic) joined U2 tours in Elevation and repeated during Vertigo. I was on the Miami rehearsals and Jerry Meltzer introduced it to me as "the new guy". He's been also touring with The Roling Stones. He's taking care of Bono while on tour.

Jerry Meltzer (3rd pic) is taking care of Adam's security from Popmart tour at least and still there when Vertigo tour. Not to be confused with Jerry Mele (keep on reading).

"Grey hair man" (4th pic) . No idea who he is but he has been with the band on some appearances (not on tour). He was in with them when the Pre-Elevation tour in London, Paris, Madrid, Stockholm and Rio. Also with Bono in Barcelona when the Frock and Roll event on June'01. Once again with him in Cannes on Jan'05 at NRJ Awards and when the Abbey Road Sessions. I've seen him with Keith Ricahrds (not on tour) , Sean Connery , Tom Cruise and others.....

About the picture in Mexico:

The man on the left is Jerry Mele (not Meltzer), who was head of security untill the Mexico incident with Zedillo's sons. After that he had to retire and is true that visited the band during one of the Elevation shows in the USA.

The one on the right was with the band during Zoo TV tour. He met Depeche Mode in Barcelona (they were recording in Madrid and travelled to Barcelona to see U2 on tour. They stayed at the same hotel and met this guy). After that I've seen him touring with Depeche at least twice, on charge of Martin Gore. Last time in Barcelona I told him I had seen him working for U2 and he said: "That's right. It was then when i met this guy (Martin Gore)"

Other guys related with U2 security are :

Dave Gruyer is as someone said Larry's bodyguard at least since Popmart tour if not before.

Scott Nichols, who was with them in Popmart and I also saw him in Vertigo. He's more a head of security than a bodyguard. You'll barely see him with the band nowadays but he's in charge of "everything" (stadium security and that kind of stuff).

Also a blonde guy I can't remeber his name at the moment, was with them in Popmart and after that has been head of security for the Rolling Stones while on tour. He ¡s in charge of Charlie Watts security.

Hope it helps.....

Popbcn

rihannsu said:

Bono always says that the reason you don't want to ever mess with Larry is that he always has backup even when you think he doesn't. LOL

Dana

See, the popular image of LMJ is that he IS his own backup... Or that his backup is his other fist...

Re: Some light on this issue....

popbcn said:

I'm not an expert on this but I've been on the road "with" U2 since Popmart tour and also on some events where just Bono appeared and I can add some light....

John Sampson (2nd pic) joined U2 tours in Elevation and repeated during Vertigo. I was on the Miami rehearsals and Jerry Meltzer introduced it to me as "the new guy". He's been also touring with The Roling Stones. He's taking care of Bono while on tour.

"Grey hair man" (4th pic) . No idea who he is but he has been with the band on some appearances (not on tour). He was in with them when the Pre-Elevation tour in London, Paris, Madrid, Stockholm and Rio. Also with Bono in Barcelona when the Frock and Roll event on June'01. Once again with him in Cannes on Jan'05 at NRJ Awards and when the Abbey Road Sessions. I've seen him with Keith Ricahrds (not on tour) , Sean Connery , Tom Cruise and others.....

Popbcn

John Sampson has definately worked for U2 for 20 years. He told me himself at the NYC book signing.

The grey haired man has worked with them for many years definately before Elevation. I have seen pictures of him with dark hair.

Re: Re: Some light on this issue....

JCOSTER said:

John Sampson has definately worked for U2 for 20 years. He told me himself at the NYC book signing.

The grey haired man has worked with them for many years definately before Elevation. I have seen pictures of him with dark hair.

Well......who knows. What I can confirm is that Jerry introduced him as the "new guy". Maybe he was working for the band but not touring with them or not as personal bodyguard. I have also checked 2 itinerary books I own from Popmart and one from The Joshua Tree tour and John Sampson doesn't appear on the list. We'll have to ask him again next time

About the grey haired man, you are probably right. I'm just saying he was there on the events I listed. Never said he wasn't with the band before.

Regards

popbcn:ohmy: :ohmy:

Re: Some light on this issue....

popbcn said:

Following JCOSTER post I can add:

Brian (1st pic.) is Irish and I'd say his first tour as bodyguard of the band was Vertigo. He was in charge of Edge security and after that, as living in Ireland, he's been appearing with Bono several times. I know he was the only one of them that was in Cannes when the U2 3D premiere (the rest was french security), he was also there when I met Bono after the REM concert in Dublin, and if you check Bono's solo appearances, he's always there.

Jerry Meltzer (3rd pic) is taking care of Adam's security from Popmart tour at least and still there when Vertigo tour. Not to be confused with Jerry Mele (keep on reading).

About the picture in Mexico:

The man on the left is Jerry Mele (not Meltzer), who was head of security untill the Mexico incident with Zedillo's sons. After that he had to retire and is true that visited the band during one of the Elevation shows in the USA.

The one on the right was with the band during Zoo TV tour. He met Depeche Mode in Barcelona (they were recording in Madrid and travelled to Barcelona to see U2 on tour. They stayed at the same hotel and met this guy). After that I've seen him touring with Depeche at least twice, on charge of Martin Gore. Last time in Barcelona I told him I had seen him working for U2 and he said: "That's right. It was then when i met this guy (Martin Gore)"

Other guys related with U2 security are :

Dave Gruyer is as someone said Larry's bodyguard at least since Popmart tour if not before.

Scott Nichols, who was with them in Popmart and I also saw him in Vertigo. He's more a head of security than a bodyguard. You'll barely see him with the band nowadays but he's in charge of "everything" (stadium security and that kind of stuff).

Also a blonde guy I can't remeber his name at the moment, was with them in Popmart and after that has been head of security for the Rolling Stones while on tour. He ¡s in charge of Charlie Watts security.

Hope it helps.....

Popbcn

thats not Jerry....
this is Jerry:
Jerry_attheendotw.jpg

Mele vs Meltzer

Laney_82 said:
Jerry1.jpg

(the one with the headset)

Jerry_BonoDC8.jpg

(in shorts)

Jerry Mele is the one you are showing on your pics. Nothing to see with Jerry Meltzer, on the pics I showed. Mele had to stop working as security guy after the mexico incident. Just read my first post.

popbcn

Back
Top Bottom