U2 Win Memorabilia Court Hearing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greety

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
from contact music:

Irish rockers U2 have won a court case against a former stylist in Dublin, Ireland and will now have a Stetson hat and other memorabilia handed back to them. LOLA CASHMAN had claimed she was given the items, worth 5000 euros (GBP3,400/$6,120), as presents by the band following their 1987 Joshua Tree tour and tried to sell them at Christie's auction house in 2002. U2 successfully sued last year (05) for the recovery of the trademark hat, a pair of earrings, a sweatshirt and a pair of trousers, claiming Cashman took them without permission. Cashman launched an appeal and singer BONO was last month (06) forced to recount his evidence in Dublin High Court. However, today's (15NOV06) ruling means the band will take ownership of all the memorabilia.
15/11/2006 12:32

Yay! :hyper: Let's hope that Ms Cashman will finally abide the courts ruling and give back ALL the stuff and slide back into the gutter from whenst she came never to be heard from ever again!! :madwife:

U2 win battle against ex-stylist

U2 have been battling for the return of a number of their possessions
Rock group U2 have won a legal battle against their former stylist, forcing her to hand over a cowboy hat and clothes she took from them in 1987.
Singer Bono told Dublin's High Court last month that Lola Cashman acquired the items without permission during the band's Joshua Tree tour.

She insisted they were a gift to her from the star and appealed against a ruling that she must return them.

In a statement the band said they were "relieved" the legal battle is over.

"Proceedings were issued in Ireland very much as a last resort and with great reluctance," they said.

They added that they wished Ms Cashman "well in the future" and they would not be pursuing costs from her, despite being entitled to.

Rosary beads

The possessions were estimated to be valued at 5,000 euros (£3,400).

U2 had been fighting with Ms Cashman over the ownership of a Stetson hat, a pair of metal hooped earrings, a green sweatshirt and a pair of black trousers.

They were also trying to retrieve a number of other items which had been seen in her flat, including a video tape and monitor, rosary beads and hundreds of photographs.

Ms Cashman claimed Bono had "plonked" his hat on her head
During the appeal hearing, she claimed Bono was running around in his underwear backstage at the Sun Devil Stadium in Arizona on the last night of the tour when she asked him for the hat.

The court was told he "plonked" it on her head.

In 2002, Ms Cashman put some of the memorabilia up for sale at Christie's.

She claimed two letters sent to the auction house from U2 lawyers seeking their return were defamatory, and began proceedings against the band in the High Court in London.

Thank goodness it's over. I actually respect the fact that they aren't going to pursue costs - to me it proves it's not about money.

this is great news. There was a principle to be upheld here and I'm glad that it worked out. I've always felt that the guys were decent (and not persuing the costs proves that) and that they're ok with most things that ppl do with regard to them. It looks like they take exception to ppl ripping them off and making money out of them though. Good for them. They've worked hard enough to earn it and should give it away the way they choose and not have someone make a quick buck..

The Duchess said:
It is indeed good news Denise
How are you btw?
love
Heather:wave:

Hi Heather...I'm fine thanks. I'm still living in fanfic land...oh well, it beats the real stuff...hee hee. I hope you're ok....good news about the court case eh? Yessssssssssssssss. Now then, Bono about those trousers....they'll probably be a little tight these days...allow me to help you try to get into them...:evil: ..what? You can't...oh well, let's leave 'em off then.....:evil: :evil:

^:shame: :giggle:

Do you by any chance know when the next chap of Drawers is ydw? :wink:

If they gave it to her it was hers to sell, unlike my brother who sold all my Star Wars shit on ebay behind my back.

U2girl said:

I would hope so. This ruling proves that U2 were not lying, thus were not defaming Cashman. If they lost, not only would they have to turn all the items over to her, but then she'd continue and sue them for damages based on the alleged defamation. There would be another hearing if they had not lost.

gluey said:
Thank goodness it's over. I actually respect the fact that they aren't going to pursue costs - to me it proves it's not about money.

Actually, I'm disappointed that they're not going to pursue costs, not out of vengeance, but as a matter of justice. U2 should have been left in the same position they were before this sad little skank started in, and their having to pay to defend against her illegitimate actions is a violation of principle -- principles are eternal and universal and not dependent on how much money someone has. That's not directed at you gluey, but to the room temperature IQs who have been haw hawing about U2 pursuing the matter, all those knotheads who think that people who are rich and/or famous are to accept any and all kinds of abuse because, after all, they're rich and famous, and we're not!

I think that if you have to go through something miserable, one way to get lemonade out of the lemons is to maybe make a difference to the next one who has to go through something similar. Cashman is getting off unscathed, and that's not a good example to the next parasite who wants to stick it to a celeb. She and others like her should have to learn that if you want to play bush league ball in the big parks, you have to risk getting beaned in the head! I know U2 let it go because they are sometimes a little too concerned with what people will think when they should be concerned only with their own motives, and I'm sure they're sick of the whole thing and just want it to end. Or, maybe they just want to prevent Cashman from posting her mother for sale on ebay to pay the lawyers!

Back
Top Bottom