U2 Win Memorabilia Court Hearing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kellyahern said:
Well, at least she still has to pay her lawyers :wink:.

Indeed, and here's how she plans to do it. (I knew this was coming.):

Proud Lola is ready to sing to pay debts after U2 court row

LOLA CASHMAN: Hurt by accusations during case

LARISSA NOLAN

"BONO and the other members of U2 are bracing themselves for further revelations by their former stylist Lola Cashman, who is offering to tell all about her time with the band for €50,000.

Ms Cashman is selling her story after losing her long-running case over the ownership of Bono's hat and other memorabilia in the High Court last week.

She was left with a hefty legal bill that she said would leave her financially destitute.

It is believed she is prepared to spill the beans in order to claw back some of the massive costs, estimated to be in the region of €75,000.

However, Ms Cashman is also ready to tell all about her time working for the band as she feels hurt by accusations thrown at her through the court case.

At one point, U2 manager Paul McGuinness described her as "disloyal" and "a traitor" and Bono said her book about life with the band, Inside the Zoo with U2, was "reprehensible".

Friends of Ms Cashman said she no longer has any respect for the band following the case and is ready to "sing like a canary".

Lola Cashman told friends: "I was never disloyal to them [U2] before, but I have no problem being disloyal now after all that has happened."

She described last Wednesday's judgment against her by Justice Michael Peart as "a bombshell" but said she did not see herself as a victim.

She told a friend: "The whole thing did wear me down, but I don't want people to think 'poor Lola'. I'm not a victim, I'm proud.

"I'm glad I went ahead with the case, no matter what. I'm proud of myself for having the courage of my convictions. I know I was telling the truth, but as far as I am concerned, the truth did not come out. It's sad justice was not done and I am majorly disappointed about that."

However, she said it did not come as too much of a surprise as she felt she had not performed well in the witness box.

A friend said: "She feels she let herself down, but knows she did the best she could."

Ms Cashman feels she has to sell her story now to help pay off some of the "huge financial debt" she has incurred.

The friend said: "She is not greedy, but she knows she can make money from this and she certainly needs it now. Why not?

"U2 are so money-driven that they went to the High Court to stop her making a few thousand euros out of a few trinkets. There is no reason why she should not gain some financial benefit after the court ordeal."

The designer faced a court battle with the biggest band in the world after she tried to put some items of memorabilia up for auction at Christie's for €5,000. The items included a back-up hat for Bono's famous Stetson, which he wore on the cover of the Rattle and Hum album, Bono's leather trousers and converse boots belonging to drummer Larry Mullen."

(I posted these comments in the News Forum, but I'm also posting them here. That forum doesn't seem to get many visitors.)

Lol, she "was never disloyal to them before"! What was that book then, a love letter?

And she calls the decision a "bombshell" but "not too much of a surprise". Huh?

And sheesh, she took them to court first. Excellent journalism there, Larissa Nolan.

Never disloyal? what does she call selling their stuff then???

:eyebrow: some people never learn, I HOPE there aren't any newspapers or tabloids buying her story, but I"m afraid they will anwayz... :sigh:

JCOSTER said:
Shes a troll!

:wink:
bonotrollslolyu5.jpg

I guess one vaguely positive thing is that she can't have anything really juicy to tell if she's only asking for 50,000 euros. Probably a rehash of all her "Bono's obsessed with his weight/height/sexual fantasies about Madonna". LOL.

She's had this planned all along; that's why she hired that person who specializes in making deals with tabloids.

I seriously don't think there are many people interested in Bono at all, besides his fans, and we already know this shite the woman's been saying...

Bono has a height obsession :rolleyes: So what? we all know that, and don't care!

Can't she just accept defeat and move on? it was her own choice to go further with the court case, and she shouldn't be pretending to be proud, while she indeed poses as victim and tries to milk this out for what it's worth...

Galeongirl said:
I seriously don't think there are many people interested in Bono at all, besides his fans

Actually, I think there are a lot of people at the moment who are enjoying taking pot shots at "St. Bono's" halo. There've been plenty of accusations of hypocrisy lately. If she plays up this angle and talks about instances when he was less than virtuous she could get a lot of attention.

She seriously has to get a better hobby, and learn that you can't spill beans if there's no beans to spill in the first place.

Maybe a hobby of collecting various kinds of beans would do it.

biff said:

Actually, I think there are a lot of people at the moment who are enjoying taking pot shots at "St. Bono's" halo. There've been plenty of accusations of hypocrisy lately. If she plays up this angle and talks about instances when he was less than virtuous she could get a lot of attention.

i totally agree with biff on this. a few years ago i think most media outlets would have turned their nose up at lola's story. however, it is apparent from recent anti-bono headlines that there is a growing contingent of media outlets who are eager to knock bono down a few notches. as a result, i think lola's timing to shop a tell-all is as good right now as it ever could be.

I think the whole U2 moves tax stuff to Holland made the anti Bono movement a little bigger, especially in Ireland.... and ofcourse, they all blame Bono, cause in their opinion Bono IS U2...

but as most things, it'll pass...

If she does get to spill her guts in the papers, what I want to know is will any of it really matter? I mean, how long ago was she with the band... '87 wasn't it?

Er hello....twenty years ago.. is anybody really interested in what they might have got up to twenty years ago? And even if they did raise a few eyebrows, isn't it what all rock stars do so wil any ofl it be a surprise? They were only boys then, doing daft stuff what other ppl do when they're young, for fecks sake!

This stupid woman should go find something good to do with her life instead of wasting it on bitterness.. :madspit: :madspit: :madspit:

...besides, Bono has already said she was good at her day job so why not go and earn an honest crust like everyone else...

pfft.... easy money.... that's all she wants..... horse shit to her..and lots of it...

youvedonewhat said:
...besides, Bono has already said she was good at her day job so why not go and earn an honest crust like everyone else...

Errm...I think he was just being polite. Anyone who would dress like this has no right to call herself a "stylist":

lola2.jpg

And I'm not being catty. That's just truly a heinous outfit.

sue4u2 said:
If she thinks she's destitute now, wait untill she gets slammed with a defamation suit.
This woman is a glutton for punishment. :eyebrow:

Yes perhaps, but ironically she started the entire thing by taking THEM to court for defamation. That's what started it all (even though 98% of the articles about this case ignore that fact).
I actually have a bad feeling about this, that it might really blow up in their faces. I hope I'm wrong.

biff said:

Yes perhaps, but ironically she started the entire thing by taking THEM to court for defamation. That's what started it all (even though 98% of the articles about this case ignore that fact).
I actually have a bad feeling about this, that it might really blow up in their faces. I hope I'm wrong.

Last I knew, they weren't planning on suing her were they? Wasn't that in one of the articles that came out after they won the latest case.

U2isthebest said:

Last I knew, they weren't planning on suing her were they? Wasn't that in one of the articles that came out after they won the latest case.

Um, yeah. (Not exactly not suing, but not pursuing court costs.)

I'm confused. Did you mean to quote me, or Sue?

biff said:

Um, yeah. (Not exactly not suing, but not pursuing court costs.)

I'm confused. Did you mean to quote me, or Sue?

Sorry, I was kind of talking to both of you! Didn't the article from the day the court case was won say they wouldn't be pursuing anything further?

U2isthebest said:

Sorry, I was kind of talking to both of you! Didn't the article from the day the court case was won say they wouldn't be pursuing anything further?

Yes, it did. They will not be asking her to pay the court costs she is legally obligated to pay.

However, she is now offering her story to the tabloids. She is not prepared to end this; she is pushing it to the next level.

She is doing this now because, having lost both cases in which U2 proved that she had taken and that she had not been given the items, her own defamation suit is now moot. She cannot claim that U2 defamed her by saying that she stole their stuff, since two courts have now determined that she did indeed steal their stuff.
The only way she can now get money from them is to sell her supposedly sordid stories to the highest bidder.

And no, they won't slap her with a defamation suit, unless she tells some blatant untruths to the tabloids (and that will be extremely hard to prove). I'm sure they will want her and her stories to go away as quickly as possible. I'm just not sure there's anything they can do about it.

True. I now understand! Thank you! That being said, I highly doubt the more "reputable", and I use that term loosely, celebrity magazines like People or Us Weekly would give a rat's ass about her pack of lies. It would only be the trash like the Enquirer or the Examiner, or the Sun, etc. Anyone who believes one word they read in those magazines really might want to invest some time in learning how to think for him or her self.:|

I think that the tabloids would have to be very careful what they print. They would have to think carefully before publishing anything that is based on hearsay. They'd have to be extra sure that 'events' were proven to have taken place before publishing anything seeing as U2 seem to have have a formidible army of lawyers.

They'd have to weigh up whether it was worth printing anything and being sued and if the so called extra sales would cover any libel/slander case...

Only if the public were desperate for some mud slinging on the group would ppl bother to buy the publications and I personally don't think that a lot of ppl would care these days.

That said, I think if anything did happen, then Bono would probably suffer the most hurt because of his charity stuff. His reputation could be at risk.

I dearly hope they've got some good ppl to look after them. They don't deserve this.

I think she want U2 to pay for her silence. But based on the last book which was supposedly a "revelation" and uncovered secrets - yeah Bono is insecure baout his height WOW some juicy stuff there! Anyway I doubt she has anything incriminating to say. :madspit:

Back
Top Bottom