U2 U2 Love you U2: Shout out to the pale Irish homeys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WildHonee

Mr. MacPhisto's Loo Cleaner
I just realized this~

I got into Catholic University .....Catholic was the school for which I wrote my essay on "One." DOOD. DOOD DOOD. If there had been no U2.....I wouldn't have written that. And I don't know if I would have gotten in. MAYBE It's just the Mountain Dew and the craziness talking....BUT. Bono helped me get into college. SWEET.

33378%3A%3A323232%7Ffp38%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3A87%3D727%3DXROQDF%3E2323266958%3A%3B%3Bot1lsi

That whole time I was working on it, I had "One" playing on repeat.

And cheers to Echo, BTW
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
aKORSE. I sweat your veal, dood. O yeah yeah yeah
smile.gif

If anyone has the attention span (don't worry. I don't) this is the essay I wrote (the qwuestion was basically to write about a work of art/ music/ etc that inspires me)

One
by U2

Is it getting better,
Or do you feel the same?
Will it make it easier on you?
Now you got someone to blame.

You say
One love
One life
When it?s one need
In the night.
It?s one love
We get to share it.
It leaves you, baby,
If you don?t care for it.

Did I disappoint you?
Or leave a bad taste in your mouth?
You act like you never had love,
And you want me to go without.

Well it?s too late
Tonight
To drag the past out
Into the light.
We?re one,
But we?re not the same.
We get to carry each other,
Carry each other.
One.

Have you come here for forgiveness?
Have you come to raise the dead?
Have you come here to play Jesus
To the lepers in your head?
Did I ask too much?
More than a lot?
You gave me nothing.
Now it?s all I?ve got.

We?re one,
But we?re not the same.
We hurt each other,
Then we do it again.

You say
Love is a temple,
Love a higher law.
Love is a temple.
Love the higher law.
You ask me to enter,
But then you make me crawl.
And I can?t be holding on
To what you got
When all you got is hurt

One love
One blood
One life
You got to do what you should

One life
With each other
Sisters
Brothers

One life
But we?re not the same.
We get to carry each other
Carry each other.

One.

One.

U2's song "One" opens with desperate questions that beg for resolution:
Is it getting better?
Or do you feel the same?
Will it make it easier on you now
You got someone to blame?
The song proceeds to express the desire not solely for simple answers, but for complete absolution. The title of this appeal automatically suggests a sense of unity, which the speaker of the song craves. Its themes are specific enough to instill in the listener a sense of the necessity of unity and tolerance. But the lyrics are subjective enough to invite individual interpretation by listeners who combine the ideas presented with their own experiences.

According to his book U2 at the End of the World, U2 biographer and fan Bill Flanagan explains the creative process of "One." Lead singer Bono wrote the song with his bandmates at the beginning of the 1990's, during a period when the band was plagued by personal conflicts. The composition of "One," which is thought of as "the song that saved U2," proved to be a turning point for the faltering band. Their ability to cooperate and compromise was re-established. A suggestion of a kind of angst concerning world events also exists in a subtext of this song. Shortly before the session during which U2 wrote "One," the Berlin Wall had fallen, an event which symbolized a new beginning of sorts for those with an international mindset. In a Hansa studio in Berlin the songs for U2's album "Achtung Baby," including "One," were finalized both in terms of lyrics and music, and in terms of content and impact. Also at this time, AIDS was considered a new and growing epidemic. Consequently, some critics of "One" hold that it is about a young man telling his father that he has AIDS (Flanagan). The son makes the point that there is no turning back, and that forward is the only direction to go:
Well it's
Too late
Tonight
To drag the past out into the light.
But this interpretation is only one of many that have attempted to concisely explain the magnitude of the song's message.

In addition to the time of the recording, Flanagan notes that the location also impacted the final product of the song. Fellow rock star David Bowie, who also recorded a series of albums at Hansa, channeled the spirit of division (in terms of the situation in Berlin); whereas U2 channeled the spirit of unification. Additionally, Bowie said, when he wrote about "Achtung Baby" that "Throughout the twentieth century, Berlin has emerged time and again as both corpse and artery of Europe. Come the nineties the Wall and its heroes and anti-heroes came crashing down. East German artifacts and West German rubble are strewn upon the road thorough millennium's end" (Flanagan).

The location of "One" in the album "Achtung Baby" also weighs on the effects of the song. Flanagan holds that the album is a cycle that follows "a man messing up his secure home life by charging out into the night's temptations." The plea made in "One," then, "sounds less like a comfort than an excuse" (20). The album basically creates a tension in which the principal character is torn by "the moon as a dark woman who seduces the singer away from his virtuous love, the sun" (20). This is just a simple insight into the main theme of "Achtung Baby," but this discrepancy between the narrator's attentions ultimately results in the conjecture that "'Love is Blindness,' the inability to distinguish day from night" (20).

Knowing this very basic assessment, one is free to let one's self connect with the song. To me, the simple chorus suggests a basic tolerance for all people, and the desire to possess the ideal:
One life,
But we're not the same.
We get to
Carry each other,
Carry each other.
But while it is based on a future of possibility and progress, this ideal world of acceptance must challenge and admit the influence of past reality in order to progress:
I can't be holding on
To what you got
When all you got is hurt."
Forgiveness, then, is required to start over. This need for renewal could be in a relationship with God, oneself, a lover, or a friend.

In my personal opinion, with no thought of historical or social significance, "One" is a song about acceptance, tolerance, and forgiveness. I think everyone at one point or another desires and indeed requires understanding for deeds both destructive and progressive. Everyone is equally deserving of acknowledging the past and evolving in the future.
The symbolism of blood in the lines
One love
One blood
One life
You got to do what you should
suggests blood's role as both the curse and gift of life. Blood can be thought of as anything from the physical fluid to actual life. In either case, it is the gift of blood that keeps one alive, but it is the blight and reality of blood that reminds one of limits. It is also blood that This simultaneous presence of life and death in one unit is a paradox that suggests, in "One," both the reassuring necessity and horrifying realities of acceptance and forgiveness.

"One" is certainly a simple, yet strong song. The very fact that it is open to interpretation is its defining characteristic. I believe that a song has to be very powerful to hold up the desires, wishes, and hopes of the bearers of such diverse interpretations. The song is about AIDS, it's about love, it's about divorce, it's about sex, it's about Africa, it's about Jesus, it's about Berlin, it's about the band. The song is about confession, it's about denial, it's about individual strength, it's about communion. It is at once all these things at one moment, and then it is none of them in the next. Not just any song can pull off what "One" does.

I believe that ?One? is the universal song. It cannot be distilled down to words that are different from the original lyrics. It cannot be torn apart from the voice in which they arrive in the listener's mind. The way the messages of the song arise within the listener depend upon one?s individual thought processes and experiences. The range of emotions and incidents that the song suggests cannot be contained by singular delineations of the lyrics. This anthem is both a promise and a wish, simultaneously a pledge and a request. The ideals presented in "One," then, seem to manifest the way that most dreams do. The lyrics are suggestive of dreams of awakening: awakening to greater meaning, awakening to fulfillment.

Well paint my fence and call me Charlie. Someone ring Bono and tell him he's SPECIAL

"I can't change the world,
but I can change the world in me"

------------------
~*Mona*~
ani_bono.gif

LOVE me, give me SOUL

Kick start my rock 'n rollin? heart. ~J.E.W.

"I think I just said I was smart there - I'm sorry about that." ~Bono

"I...I had a one night stand with the Discoteque video" ~Mona
The Man Corral

[This message has been edited by WildHonee (edited 02-25-2002).]

Someone posted this many moons ago:

Believing in U2
U2 brings to the Target Center something rare and wonderful: authentic passion in the age of plastic
---------------------------------------------
I believe in believing in something, so what I have come to believe in most after all these years is rock ?n? roll.

I believe there are those who will believe me to be ancient and almost medieval for making such a statement, but I believe rock ?n? roll to be not a genre of music but an all-encompassing force that simultaneously forsakes and embraces all that came before it and all that has come since.

I believe it to be the sound of freedom, liberation, the human spirit unshackled. I believe in the Kingdom Come and then all the colors will bleed into one.

I believe in electric guitars ringing, chiming, screaming. I believe in last call, drinks all around and the first cup of coffee in the morning after a hard day?s night. I believe in torn jeans, T-shirts, leather, tattoos, punk-rock girls, trouble boys, drummers who look like cats clawing out of a corner and lighted cigarettes propped up on the end of guitar necks like incense sticks.

I believe U2?s Bono when he sings, ?I believe in you.?

I believe in sock hops and raves. I believe in lyrics that don?t make sense, songs that get better after 10 plays in a row, hip-hop beats that curl toes and tongues. I believe in suburban teens finding homilies in Napster, suburban parents finding miracles in home stereos, city slickers finding gold in headphones and all of them connecting to the same giant antenna in the heavens. I believe rock ?n? roll saves lives.

I believe in fire in the belly, passion in the back seat, snare drums that sound like cannon shots coming over a ship?s bow and singers, writers and poets who spill their guts, open their veins, make us laugh, show us the way. I do not believe in ?post-rock? or music that makes me feel numb or dumb.

I believe I am starving for a rock band to blow the roof off an arena, the way I believe U2 will blow the roof off the Target Center on Tuesday night.

I believe I am not alone. I believe we the people have had it with Fake. I believe that more and more of us are rising up and saying what John Lennon sang many years ago: ?Gimme some truth.?

I believe U2?s Bono to be one of the fed-up folks. I believe he is on the great explore, and that he will be until the day he dies. I believe his is one of those lives that was saved by rock ?n? roll and that he believes he has a debt to repay. Which I believe he has done already, if only with ?I Still Haven?t Found What I?m Looking For.? Which I believe people, including its makers, will sing, listen to and glean guidance and comfort from many years after all of us have shaken, rattled, and hummed off our mortal coils.

I believe U2 believes in roots, the kind that on Tuesday will invisibly extend from the Target Center stage across the street to First Avenue, where U2 played its first Twin Cities concert in 1981. I believe Bono has a good memory. I believe that is why he called Joey Ramone on Good Friday, and why two nights later, a few hours after Joey died, U2 encored in Portland with the Ramones? ?I Remember You.?

I believe bands like U2 inspire faith. I believe it is no coincidence that Joey Ramone passed into the great beyond while U2?s ?In a Little While? played in his hospital room. I believe that many people who believe in U2 are of many faiths ? some devout, some fallen away, some returning to the scenes of their crimes.

I believe ?Stuck in a Moment You Can?t Get Out Of,? which was inspired by the suicide of INXS singer Michael Hutchence, helps the forlorn to remember that This Too Shall Pass.

I believe the most enlightening lyric I heard on the radio this winter also came from U2, one I would wish upon anyone who periodically wrestles with various funks, depressions and blues-to-be: ?You?re on the road but you?ve got no destination/You?re in the mud, in the maze of her imagination/You love this town even if it doesn?t ring true/You?ve been all over it, and it?s been all over you/It?s a beautiful day/Don?t let it get away/It?s a beautiful day/Don?t let it get away.?

I do not believe in nitpicking when it comes to matters of the heart, which is what the U2 stage is shaped like for this tour. I believe people who pay almost $100 to stand in a basketball arena with 20,000 other ordinary/flawed/uninspired souls who have been yearning to sing along to a verse such as, ?What you don?t have you don?t need it now/What you don?t know you can feel it somehow,? are getting a bargain.

I believe that Tuesday night, Bono will be proved correct in his assertion in SPIN magazine that the reason many of the ?Elevation 2001 Tour? tickets are general admission is because, ?In the U.S., the experience of seeing U2 was never a physical one the way it was in Europe. There, the whole floor would lift up. It was intoxicating.?

I believe in being lifted up. I believe U2 embodies what Thomas Jefferson said in 1816, which still haunts true today: ?I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country.?

I believe our corporate government is not acting in our best interest, and that all the hollow entertainment it sponsors is no mistake. I believe the powers that be want us driven to distraction, to quarrel among ourselves, so they can do their bidding in peace and cloak of darkness. I believe that U2 is not about to let them get away with it.
I believe that the Irish musicians could help save us from ourselves, if we just listen to their dreams of a better world, born as they are of their homeland?s eternal strife: Sinead O?Connor, Van Morrison, Mary Coughlan, Mike Scott and all the others who have firsthand experience in overcoming a culture of bureaucratic repression through magic.
I believe America has a hole in its soul. I believe U2, the fighting Irish, can help fill it. I believe them to be a bunch of tough bastards. I do not believe in false idols, like the Smashing Pumpkins? Billy Corgan, who upon the breakup of his band said, ?Fighting the Britneys of the world just got too hard,? or some nonsense.

I do not believe in giving up. I believe in fighting for what?s right, and good, and dangerous, and dirty, and true. I believe in going to war. I do not believe that U2 believes that rock ?n? roll is dead, or that it is a genre, or nostalgia. I believe that if rock ?n? roll will one day join the dinosaurs as a cultural signpost and as a viable spiritual path, then U2 is not going down without a fight.

I believe it to be less lofty than all that. I believe Bono when he sings, ?I?m not afraid of anything in this world/There?s nothing you can throw at me that I haven?t already heard/I?m just trying to find a decent melody/A song that I can sing in my own company.?

I believe that something like the Holy Spirit flows through people like Bono, who I believe believes he has a job to do, which he has exhibited countless times through his music, his good nature, his trips to Bosnia and beyond, his induction speech of Bruce Springsteen into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and through what he wrote in Q magazine last year: ?I was thinking about Bob Dylan the other day, trying to define what it was about him that I respect so much, and what came to me was a line by the poet Brendan Keneally from the ?Book of Judas,? a line which I used for guidance on the Zoo TV tour but which I realized applies to Bob Dylan throughout his whole career. The line is: The best way to serve the age is to betray it.
?That is the essence of Bob Dylan: not just as simple as being on whatever the other side is, because that?s just being a crank, and cranks at the end of the day aren?t very interesting, because you always know their position. Dylan was at one point in time the very epitome of what was modern, and yet was always a unique critique of modernity. Because in fact Dylan comes from an ancient place, almost medieval.?

I believe U2 to be cut from the same cloth. I do not believe their bigness gets in the way of their realness. I do not believe that rebellion or shocking the next generation is the sole function of rock ?n? roll, and I believe that those who seek to do so through obvious means have missed the point entirely and are trying too hard. I believe in melody and mini-anthems and maxi-anthems and goosebumps and confusion and rage and rapture and ballads and bashers and buzzing amps and bum notes.

I believe in zoot suits and Beatle boots and Louis Armstrong and the Stones? tongue and ?London Calling? and Chuck Berry and neighborhood record stores and all-ages nightclubs and no cover and that new Fatboy Slim video with Christopher Walken dancing on the ceiling.

I believe in the ex-Dairy Queen worker who told me he always gave free ice cream to anyone wearing a Rev 105 T-shirt. I believe in looking out for the other guy. I believe everyone should stop saying, ?That rocks,? about things that absolutely do not rock.

I believe if you care, you rock. I believe if you care about where this world is going, where all of us are going, not just you, then you rock.

Which is to say that I believe in rock ?n? roll. Which is to say that I believe in you, and vice versa.

------------------
~*Mona*~
ani_bono.gif

LOVE me, give me SOUL

The Man Corral

*blown away*

Goodness Mona, I don't think Bono could have explained it as well...

And I love that second essay too...

"I believe in believing in something, so what I have come to believe in most after all these years is rock ?n? roll. " ~ I've has this quote in my AIM profile for the longest time, it sums up my love perfectly.

------------------
~*~?~*~ Katie ~*~?~*~
"Now America looks smart and, dare I say it, sexy again." ~ Bono, 2000

She is the dreamer
She's imagination

*ahem*

edge_phone.jpg

"Bono, did you hear? You got Mona into school!"

bono_021.jpg

"Hoooray for me! You know, we have to educate our young people, that will help rid our world of suffering and problems and hunger and hate and intolerance..."

larry_017.jpg

"Look Bono, she's smart, YOU didn't write the ESSAY now did you? Let's jest congratulate her on her acceptance...to college that is."

adam_005.jpg

"Way to go Mona! We are SO proud!"

*Later that day, the boys got together to present this oh so good looking picture to reward you for your hard work and dedication*

U2211012001_L.jpg

*Tonight, Mona will be eating fine cuisine a la U2*
b05.jpg

mmmmmm......tamales!

Congratulations Mona!

------------------
90% lazy. 10% something else.

Judoooooooo Chop!

Osmosis be de passive transpo't uh booze

[This message has been edited by Lilly (edited 02-25-2002).]

Wow-it's absolutely no surprise that they were completely impressed with that essay-it's just incredible. I'm sure Bono would agree.
smile.gif

Congratulations Mona

frontpage.jpg

------------------
If you are really good friends with The Edge, you can just call him The~ Adam
The right side of my brain is kinda redundant~ Larry
No, I will not do the snake dance for you~Bono

Originally posted by Lilly:

bono_021.jpg

"Hoooray for me! You know, we have to educate our young people, that will help rid our world of suffering and problems and hunger and hate and intolerance..."
LOL thanks
biggrin.gif

sorry to monopolize PLEBA after being gone so long...but...well I've been gone so long, you see
biggrin.gif

------------------
~*Mona*~
ani_bono.gif

LOVE me, give me SOUL

The Man Corral

oops double post

[This message has been edited by WildHonee (edited 02-25-2002).]

First off... congrats Mona !!!
You wrote a beautiful and insightful piece about a wonderful song.Very eloquent.
Also a little bit about the other essay you posted ....a critic by the name of Jim Walsh wrote that,and I think that's one of the most brilliant things I've ever read !!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I get gooebumps every time I read it !!

Anyway I e-mailed Mr. Walsh a little message when in April of last year I came upon this work of art,
it simply said....."You ROCK" !
biggrin.gif

------------------
She's ellipical
Also political
All so spritual
Not superficial......

Originally posted by browneyedgirl:
First off... congrats Mona !!!
You wrote a beautiful and insightful piece about a wonderful song.Very eloquent.
Also a little bit about the other essay you posted ....a critic by the name of Jim Walsh wrote that,and I think that's one of the most brilliant things I've ever read !!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I get gooebumps every time I read it !!

Anyway I e-mailed Mr. Walsh a little message when in April of last year I came upon this work of art,
it simply said....."You ROCK" !
biggrin.gif

ah thanks! I've been wondering who wrote it and where it came from!

BTW Mona, LMAO at the Pale Irish Homeys....

...guess that makes me a pale Irish homegirl. Word.
biggrin.gif

------------------
~*~?~*~ Katie ~*~?~*~
"Now America looks smart and, dare I say it, sexy again." ~ Bono, 2000

She is the dreamer
She's imagination

Mona, Mona, Mona!

I can't congratulate you enough darling! That's a rockin essay and that school would have been feckin crazy NOT to take you
smile.gif

And I think it's so cool you got into your first choice school, that's an incredible accomplishment!

Lots of luck, it's all easy from here! Trust me, you won't have ANY desire to do any work (even when you get to college) lol
smile.gif

------------------
ALOTWU!!!!

"This is very un-hip, you know, having the bleeding heart here...I've a reputation to live down to." -Bono

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

Moooooooona!! I am so proud of you!! That was an awesome essay. I know how badly you wanted to get into Catholic, and it is amazing that you did. Of course with the power of U2 behind us, we can do anything
biggrin.gif
!!

It looks like our little Pleblian with the spanish eyes is going to go far
biggrin.gif
!!

------------------
***Spinny***
"OH, SINNY- er,um- SPINNY!" (freudian slip?)-JulyFly

"Here I go and I don't know why
I spin so ceaselessly
Could it be he's taken over me????
"

Originally posted by WildHonee:
Originally posted by Lilly:

sorry to monopolize PLEBA after being gone so long...but...well I've been gone so long, you see
biggrin.gif

No need to apologize, it's nice to have you and your silliness back.
biggrin.gif

Congratulations!!

------------------
What are we going to do now It's all been said,
No new ideas in the house and Every book has been read....

Originally posted by spinninghead77:
Moooooooona!! I am so proud of you!! That was an awesome essay. I know how badly you wanted to get into Catholic, and it is amazing that you did. Of course with the power of U2 behind us, we can do anything
biggrin.gif
!!

It looks like our little Pleblian with the spanish eyes is going to go far
biggrin.gif
!!

AFter I go rich and famous like DivaBono with Dublin Calling, let's you and me and Hippy start Mona's Flamin' Threads, shall we?
biggrin.gif

------------------
~*Mona*~
ani_bono.gif

LOVE me, give me SOUL

The Man Corral

Originally posted by WildHonee:
AFter I go rich and famous like DivaBono with Dublin Calling, let's you and me and Hippy start Mona's Flamin' Threads, shall we?
biggrin.gif

Totally!! I was thinking about MFT last night because I was watching the cartoon 'the oblongs' and the little boy decided that he was going to start his own company to sell 'his threads', I laughed my ass off, and my sister thought that I was insane!!!

------------------
***Spinny***

I spin so ceaselessly
"

Originally posted by spinninghead77:

Totally!! I was thinking about MFT last night because I was watching the cartoon 'the oblongs' and the little boy decided that he was going to start his own company to sell 'his threads', I laughed my ass off, and my sister thought that I was insane!!!

LOL! Ah.....I feel like J.Lo. lol

------------------
~*Mona*~
ani_bono.gif

LOVE me, give me SOUL

The Man Corral

jl077.jpg

------------------
***Spinny***

I spin so ceaselessly
"

CONGRATS, MONA!!! I always knew you'd get a "leg up" *snicker* in life. I was just saying the other day that- OOOH....J-Lo...*Glisten*

*distraction*

------------------
ScottPhisto
The Man-Slut of PLEBA
Only $0.65 each!!!

He's prettier than you think...

Scottphisto vending machines. Now everywhere inside the famous PLEBA Mansion, fullfilling all your Scottphisto needs!

I'm just some fruitcake who thinks he's a pimp.

Voted Most Likely To Be Responsible For Unexplained Disappearances Of Women's Clothing

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom