U2 is definetely NOT pop music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildhoney22

Refugee
Okay, PLEBA ladies & U2 fans, here's why I'm pissed.........

I'm going through my video tapes to see what I taped that I don't need anymore, and I stumble across the MTV special "Everybody Talk About Pop Music", one of the shows they did for their 20th anniversary in August.....

Anyways, I had watched it before but wasn't really paying attention the 1st time, so I sat down & watched it again, and they were interviewing all the pop stars who know nothing about pop music or music in general, like N Sync, BSB, Christina, Britney, etc.

And then that wannabe ghetto boy JC from N Sync said something I will never live down. He was talking about how a lot of artists are just pop groups, and he said

"U2 is pop music."

*screaming* JC, I know you'll never read this, but have you listened to Boy? Ocotober? War? Unforgettable Fire? Any of their albums?

Okay, PLEBA guys & gals, you have the floor.......

------------------
"Coming to a rock n' roll show and watching television, what more could you ask for?" ~ Larry
"Surely, there must be more to it than that" ~ Kurt Loder
"Don't call me Shirley." ~ Larry

"Well, the the seats are behind the stage...." ~ My dad
"So? I get to stare at Larry's ass for 2 hours!" ~ My mom

Email me!
roxyangel22@hotmail.com

eek.gif
OMG!!!! U2 A POP GROUP????
eek.gif

NO EFFIN WAY!!!!!

They're hot, they're cool, they're hip, they're happenin, they're all that and a bag of chips....but POP??? NOT!!!!
mad.gif

Maybe that dope thought just cause they named an album Pop that they were indeed pop music. Whatta dope. one of my favorite sayings, "No, no, no, U2 isn't a boy band...they are a MAN band, thank you very much."

------------------
Dana

"AHH...this is civics in action!"
--Mr. Campbell and me at a U2 concert, 6/21/01

"I simulate love making by beating a piece of wood with a metal wire on which it vibrates."
-Adam, when asked, 'If a martian landed and was introduced to you and asked what you do, what would you say?'

LOL-- it's okay, guys, to idiots who don't knwo any better, "pop" simply means "popular." As in, not jazz or classical or Broadway. Someone like him would not know the distincting between his pop DRIVEL and rock it if deafened him. We, naturally, can distinguish.
biggrin.gif

More importantly, our boys know the difference.

Cheryl

Originally posted by DML:
Maybe that dope thought just cause they named an album Pop that they were indeed pop music. Whatta dope. one of my favorite sayings, "No, no, no, U2 isn't a boy band...they are a MAN band, thank you very much."

Or, as Bono has so eloquently put it... they are the boys, and we are the MEN.

Woo HOO! MEN are so much more fun than BOYS.

I can't stand N-STINK or the BACKWASH BOYS. Nothing more than a pre-fab group. Dances are choreographed, their songs are written for them, their clothes are designed for them.... They are basically cattle being told what to do, what to sing, how to dance, and what to wear.

Better for me to POOP ON THEM. There will never be a band that will come even CLOSE to the caliber and the weight that Bono, The Edge, Adam, and Larry have carried over the twenty years they have been together. What other bands are out there that can say they have been together that long and have countless hours of recording, ELEVEN albums, countless hours of touring, countless hours dedicated to fans and to causes, and countless hours dedicated to never being put into a specific box? None. Not one other band besides U2. That little kid was born in 1976 - he was what, three years old when they released their first single? Oh, but wait! It was a POP single, huh! What a complete moron.

I can't stand moronic people. I can't stand listening to people who are PUPPETS. And, that's what the N-SYNC boys are: puppets who are being told what to say, what to do, and how to act. How sad that is. They won't last very long. They may be around for a couple more years - but not twenty plus. Nope. If they can't generate their own music and learn how to play a freakin' instrument and become an ACTUAL band, there's not much hope for their future. Some other pretty-boy singing group will come along and take their place. It happens -- look at the New Kids on the Block. They didn't play their own instruments either.

Bleah. The moron gives me a bad taste in my mouth. Where's some Larry pictures to make me feel better????

VX68133.jpg

Oh yes... there's Larry doin' what he does best - looking HOT and playin' DRUMS. Beat that, N-SYNC! Larry'd play you into the ground! And Edge! And Adam! Bono has been singing better'n you since before you were BORN.

OK... I feel better now.

MoonDAWGIE - Hit GURL!

------------------
If you ask me, I think it's all about drums.
Tonight the moon has drawn its curtains
It's a private show no one else going to know
I'm wanting
(If You Wear That Velvet Dress)
Hit Gurl

[This message has been edited by moon_is_playing_tricks (edited 10-23-2001).]

HMMMMMM

U2 is a really POPular group.

But for me: POP music these days is just pure trash.

And I truly believe U2 doesn't fit in any music category. They have built their own...

------------------
...and I feel
like I'm holding on to nothing...

U2 isn't pop... compared to harder bands (and one would argue if they were better bands as well!) U2 is kinda lite.

*hides behind Adam to avoid the flames*

------------------
Hip Pontiff of Sparkyism

"There's no room for spiritual constitpation here!" - Ian Astbury, The Cult

SlipStream Soul

I think I U2 fan I heard put it perfectly......

"U2 started in Larry Mullen's garage........ where did N Sync start? On the Mickey Mouse Club."

------------------
"Coming to a rock n' roll show and watching television, what more could you ask for?" ~ Larry
"Surely, there must be more to it than that" ~ Kurt Loder
"Don't call me Shirley." ~ Larry

"Well, the the seats are behind the stage...." ~ My dad
"So? I get to stare at Larry's ass for 2 hours!" ~ My mom

Email me!
roxyangel22@hotmail.com

Sorry guys. The jerk (JC) IS right. U2 IS popmusic. Popmusic means "popular music" and "popular music" means, traditional shitty pop like NSync, Britney etc, "pop/rnb" like Michael Jackson etc. but it also includes dance, techno, rock etc. So yes, U2 are ROCK and rock is POP!! It is true. But you really shouldn?t compare chewinggumpop like N?Sync to "pop" like U2-rock! Because there ARE huge difference between "pop" and "pop" and I think bands like U2, The Beatles and Oasis etc, shows that pretty well.

I wrote this a little while ago, for another purpose, but I think it addresses this "pop" issue:

U2, at certain times moreso than others, is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Either you get it or you don?t.

U2 have maintained a unique but precarious status in the music world: they have remained the biggest band in the world for fifteen years, but have retained a kind of alternative status. This is because U2 have always done exactly the opposite of what everyone else in the music industry id doing. When people were going wild for teen pop and hair metal, U2 presented themselves as pious, self-righteous, and somber. But when the world turned to grunge, U2 broke out the flash and trash.

U2 never lost their alternative sensibilities. They have never accepted corporate sponsorship, have never shilled for Pepsi or McDonalds, and never gave in to the temptation to be comfortable. Critics of U2?s late-nineties dive into kitsch and irony are overeager to detail the extravagance of a 40-foot tall disco-lemon or the disappointing ticket sales. They tend to skip over the fact that at a time when the world was enraptured by the Macarena, Bono was lamenting the absence of God in the First World and the absence of justice in the Third.

-Echo

------------------
Bono-Man! An Epic Superhero Adventure
Experience it at http://www.geocities.com/bonogoestovegas

Back
Top Bottom