U2 In NY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dazzleblylight: HI. Finally getting back to you. :) Yes. Miroslava then red & white, my pal Tabatha (friends since 5-6th grade) and then me!

Zoo TV was a fluke...they played in Birmingham, AL, 45 min from me. Most times they are in Atlanta, GA which is 2 hrs.

This trip was a fluke that went like clockwork!!!!! In a nutshell:

Loved U2 since 85 or so.
Faded out of it a bit when children came along in 95, but still "with it" as far as music went, just not a groupie.
We bought a big, flat, widescreen with HDTV. Got the hd package, and watched rattle & hum on hd (even though i have the dvd & never watched it in forever) because it was cool on a 51in. tv and hubby was in CO with work for week. So basically with in a 2 wk period, got the tv, watched r&hum on bigscreen (new experience very cool), hubby gone, drank margaritas everynight since he was gone and found this site all within a 2 wk period of time.

Okay...meanwhile TAbatha's friend went to NYC and she was jealous. She loves Tim McGraw and he was to be on the today show that wed after the brooklyn concert. I had posted here for the first time and the next day had tons of replies! I also came across a rumour that they would be in NYC after the SNL performance. She spent the night that Fri, we watched a bootleg of a the zoo concert we had attended that night. We planned a fantasy--what if trip-- that night. The playing turned more serious and on Sat 11/20 found tickets on orbitz.com for cheap to nyc. Found a cheap hotel 70 steps from heart of times square on W 46th street! We booked it all sat at 1pm and were on a plane to NYC on Sun at 5 pm!!!!! We were 5 feet from Bono 24 hours after that. She met and got green room passes for TimMcGraw at today show, were interviewed and names listed in the NY Times, it was a MIRACLE trip.

My first time to NYC was totally awesome. We stayed for the parade and saw everything we set out to see/do. All this for a simple mini van driving mom to 2 who is a second grade school teacher!!! I am totally convinced that I can accomplish ANYTHING if I set my mind out to do so.

Don't you hate it you asked now? LOL!!! :) I love to tell my story. Sorry it is so long.

a0610ce1.jpg

from People magazine best of 2004 issue

My 60 year old parents bought me the Dec. 30 issue of Rolling Stone. What cool parents! My dad paying 5 bucks for a magazine is amazing in and of itself!

More on the "bootleg" Brooklyn DVD -- I had ordered one, paid by Paypal on 12/21 - and received mine in the mail last night. And let me tell you, for an amateur standing on a milk crate I was *pleasantly* surprised with the quality of it. The first 5 minutes or so had me scared (him talking to his friends, scanning the crowd, talking about the helicopters, etc.) Once I saw U2 on the flatbed truck, I was elated ... then my screen turned blue for some time (which scared the bejabbers out of me - -I was afraid I'd been rooked!) But the concert came on and whomever filmed this did a really good job with the equipment in use. I'm a happy girl!:D

I should have mentioned something about the intro as it did scare the crap out of me as well when I first saw it... Sorry... heee! :wink:

But yes, the overall quality considering the circumstances is excellent!

Seajewel, thanks for the reminder. I cannot wait, I emailed my pal Tabatha this am to let herknow. :) I really enjoyed getting to know you guys in line. :) I met some awesome New Yorkers!!! I am still in love with that city. My heart is there.

Man! Great video, but I wish that they had footage from the concert too and didn't stop on the bridge. I cannot get enough! After seeing everyone's NYC pics, that video looks like all the stills I have seen just flipped like in a cartoon book! :)

I was ticked at the ABC video coverage, but luckily you can go to www.espn.com and click on a video link for those of you who missed it scrolling on abc coverage.

ree5669 said:

I was ticked at the ABC video coverage, but luckily you can go to www.espn.com and click on a video link for those of you who missed it scrolling on abc coverage.

I hope the full video is on MTV or VH1 soon (and that I manage to catch it whenever the heck they do decide to show actual videos :madspit: )

The bits that ABC showed looked awesome on my tv :hyper: (I saw the whole thing on espn.com, but there's just something about watching in on the bigger screen of a tv that's hard to describe :) )

right now, I don't know if anyone can see this video on ESPN - I know I can't!

Can anyone else get into this site to see the ABOY video?

I don't think all this mixup for U2 is a good thing.:sad:

ree5669 said:
dazzleblylight: HI. Finally getting back to you. :) This trip was a fluke that went like clockwork!!!!! In a nutshell:

Loved U2 since 85 or so.
Faded out of it a bit when children came along in 95, but still "with it" as far as music went, just not a groupie.

We bought a big, flat, widescreen with HDTV. Got the hd package, and watched rattle & hum on hd (even though i have the dvd & never watched it in forever) because it was cool on a 51in. tv and hubby was in CO with work for week. So basically with in a 2 wk period, got the tv, watched r&hum on bigscreen (new experience very cool), hubby gone, drank margaritas everynight since he was gone and found this site all within a 2 wk period of time.

Oh, thanks for repliing! :)
:lol: What a great confluence of U2fannishness opportunities!

Okay...meanwhile TAbatha's friend went to NYC and she was jealous. She loves Tim McGraw and he was to be on the today show that wed after the brooklyn concert. I had posted here for the first time and the next day had tons of replies! I also came across a rumour that they would be in NYC after the SNL performance. She spent the night that Fri, we watched a bootleg of a the zoo concert we had attended that night. We planned a fantasy--what if trip-- that night. The playing turned more serious and on Sat 11/20 found tickets on orbitz.com for cheap to nyc. Found a cheap hotel 70 steps from heart of times square on W 46th street! We booked it all sat at 1pm and were on a plane to NYC on Sun at 5 pm!!!!! We were 5 feet from Bono 24 hours after that. She met and got green room passes for TimMcGraw at today show, were interviewed and names listed in the NY Times, it was a MIRACLE trip.

My first time to NYC was totally awesome. We stayed for the parade and saw everything we set out to see/do. All this for a simple mini van driving mom to 2 who is a second grade school teacher!!! I am totally convinced that I can accomplish ANYTHING if I set my mind out to do so.

this IS a great story:up: :D {ah, i see you flew up here...easier than driving in a mad haze of fannish rushing!}

Don't you hate it you asked now? LOL!!! :) I love to tell my story. Sorry it is so long.

Long?! You ever seen my l-o-n-g posts!

I'm so glad that you really enjoyed yourself in 'my' :heart: city.
<was in 'Lanta & Ahtens, GA in '75 for a visit>

:scratch: i have checked all the code- seems right so i don't know why my stuff [reply]is in bold and the rest of your quote is in reg font?

Last edited:
:shifty:

Not to bring up a sore topic for some of you, but did anyone else get their DVDs yet?

Got it, little odd in the begining - I even saw one of my friends in it - he wasn't standng too far from the guy shooting it - GREAT MEMORIES!!!:love:

Wow, Seajewel. It is cool u saw a friend. I looked diligently for you, your hubby, sister, the guy (who was alone) who stood with us, the girls/guy in front of us who had the footage on their phone from Times Square, etc, but saw no one I met there. I totally wonder what happened with them. It is so strange to spend 5 or so hours with someone, hear lots of life stories, & never see them again. Sort of sad if u think about it, how people connect for a minute (who are lifetimes apart) and never will hear of them again.

AM I SAPPY OR WHAT???

hey - ree - We were standing on the Edge side of the stage (Bono came really close when he wrapped himself in the Irish flag) - it's a bit shakey but it's so great to have it, what great memories of a great day! It always seems we meet such great people waiting to see U2. Thanks for letting me know about it the dvd. Check out my listening party post again - my sister found more pictures posted by someone named Ruth, the website is listed - I'm in two shoots.:heart:

OMG I forgot to mention that I saw that! I was poking around the site last night/this am and came upon them. That is so cool! I immediately recognized you. You guys had a fantastic weekend! I cannot believe it was nearly 2 months ago. wow! You were so lucky that night. One day, I swear, it may be at some small gig whent they are retired, but coming around occasionally for little shows, I WILL MEET THEM! :)

ree5669 said:
OMG I forgot to mention that I saw that! I was poking around the site last night/this am and came upon them. That is so cool! I immediately recognized you. You guys had a fantastic weekend! I cannot believe it was nearly 2 months ago. wow! You were so lucky that night. One day, I swear, it may be at some small gig whent they are retired, but coming around occasionally for little shows, I WILL MEET THEM! :)

which site are you talking about?
I always want to see more photos, if I can. And especially of this whole NYC/Brooklyn day/eve!

when Bono came over for the flag and I had my telephoto lens...it was the closest in concert i've ever seen him...:drool:

It was (I believe) in band meeings and sightings. The thread was by Seajewel: 11/21/04 KROC listening party. I had the good luck of waiting about five hours beside her and various other really cool "locals". She met the guys at the listening party the night after SNL and before Brooklyn Bridge. Make sure you check out her hat they signed. She had it on that day of the concert. I saw a real BONO signature. I was plotting a way to swipe it, but never followed through. ;) That is her in the last pic with LArry I think : med/long brown hair.

Back
Top Bottom