U2 in current Rolling Stone issue + bono emails another rocker's wife.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thankyou

Refugee
Has anyone posted about U2 + Green days' article in Rolling Stone? if so, then please just merge this article with that thread then.

This is old news as we all well know, but for those that didn't they had an article about it in rolling stone.

U2, Green Day Unite
Bands cut a New Orleans benefit song, play Superdome
BRIAN HIATT
In February, the night before the Grammys, two of the biggest rock bands in the world sat down together for a long, boozy dinner at Hollywood's Chateau Marmont Hotel. As the seven members of U2 and Green Day ate and drank wine, they tossed around the idea of making some music together. "We just felt that these were some great people -- the way their values were wired was so similar to ours," says U2 guitarist the Edge. "We resolved to keep an open mind about things that we might do together that have some kind of significance."
Seven months later, they found a project. In the second week of September, Green Day and U2 came together again, in Studio Two of London's Abbey Road studio -- the Beatles' preferred room -- and worked up a cover of "The Saints Are Coming," a rousing 1978 tune by Scottish punk rockers the Skids. The song will likely be released as a benefit single for the rebuilding of New Orleans, and the two bands will debut it live on September 25th at the reopening of New Orleans' Superdome, before local NFL team the Saints' first home game since Hurricane Katrina. The two bands will be joined by New Orleans musicians, and the Edge will also play with Green Day on one of their own songs. The performance will be broadcast on ESPN and streamed on Rhapsody. "If there's any statement, it's us showing up and wanting to support the city," says the Edge, who arranged the collaboration as the latest venture of Music Rising, the New Orleans-focused charity he started with producer Bob Ezrin. "It's about rebirth and the future and things coming back to normal."

Each of the two bands had already been working in the studio on its own: Green Day are writing songs for a follow-up to American Idiot, and U2 had been writing and doing some casual recording for a studio album likely to come out next year. U2 have been working with producer Rick Rubin, who also came along for the session with Green Day.

The sessions took place over three days. "It was almost a punk-rock recording in a lot of ways," says Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong. "There was a lot of talking about who was going to play what, and then we just pretty much banged it out.

"To be sitting there in the studio with U2 and talking on a creative level was something you wouldn't imagine in your wildest dreams," he adds. The two bands worked up an arrangement in which both drummers and bassists played at once, while Armstrong shared lead vocals with Bono and guitar parts with the Edge. Along the way, they also fooled around with other material. "We started playing Buzzcocks songs and a little bit of Stiff Little Fingers and, because it was Abbey Road, some Beatles songs, too," says Armstrong. "Some of it sounded god-awful, and some of it was pretty good."

There was time for a few laughs, too: "Bono sent my wife a dirty e-mail -- that was kind of funny," says Armstrong, who adds that the sessions sparked a friendship. "If anything, we can sit around and have a couple of pints."

Posted Sep 25, 2006 1:49 PM

Email Print

The Edge and Billie Joe Armstrong in Abbey Road's Studio Two: "It was almost a punk-rock recording," says Armstrong. "We just banged it out."

Photo by Chris Milk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement

Last edited:
thankyou said:
Has anyone posted about U2 + Green days' article in Rolling Stone? if so, then please just merge this article with that thread then.

Along the way, they also fooled around with other material. "We started playing Buzzcocks songs and a little bit of Stiff Little Fingers and, because it was Abbey Road, some Beatles songs, too," says Armstrong. "Some of it sounded god-awful, and some of it was pretty good."

I would love to hear some of this stuff. Maybe it'll show up sometime. Thanks for posting this article!!

I think this is the only time a rock-star can e-mail another man's wife a dirty message and NOT get in trouble for it. If I got an e-mail like that from Bono, I'd be like :hyper::combust::faint: but not necessarily in that order. :wink:

Could some please tell me the DATE of the issue where this article is in? Coz international magazines tend to arrive a couple of weeks late here in Finland and if I find said issue I'll buy it and scan and post the article.

Lila64 said:
it's just a one page article - page 13 of the October 5th issue with Jack Nicholson on the cover

Thanks for the info! :wave: It's just that I saw a small paragraph with a little pic of Bono in the September 7th, I think it was, about U2 recording at Abbey Road studios but didn't want to buy the whole mag just for reason! :wink:

thankyou said:

There was time for a few laughs, too: "Bono sent my wife a dirty e-mail -- that was kind of funny," says Armstrong, who adds that the sessions sparked a friendship. "If anything, we can sit around and have a couple of pints."

Advertisement

* billie grits his teeth *

:lol: When I read that after I got the magazine in the mail I could only think that a lot of men might actually feel honored rather than upset if Bono sent their wife a dirty email

Thankfully we all know that he's devoted to his own wife and is only joking. Otherwise it would be very naughty :shame:

Slightly off topic but it reminded me of an incident I read about when I was in a book shop flicking through the latest biography about Paula Yates, Bob G and Michael H ,(does anyone else look through the index of books to see if there's any reference to U2 or Bono :wink: ). Apparently Paula and Bob were staying with Bono and Ali in Dublin to get away from the press following news of Paula's affair with Michael. Bob walked into kitchen and saw Ali hastily taking down a photo of Michael and said to Bono "don't tell me you're f***king him too" :lol:

Greenlight said:
Slightly off topic but it reminded me of an incident I read about when I was in a book shop flicking through the latest biography about Paula Yates, Bob G and Michael H ,(does anyone else look through the index of books to see if there's any reference to U2 or Bono :wink: ). Apparently Paula and Bob were staying with Bono and Ali in Dublin to get away from the press following news of Paula's affair with Michael. Bob walked into kitchen and saw Ali hastily taking down a photo of Michael and said to Bono "don't tell me you're f***king him too" :lol:

lol :LOl: , i bet it was a witch hunt.

Love a fly on the wall documentary in the life of the hewson household.

u2bonogirl said:
:lol: When I read that after I got the magazine in the mail I could only think that a lot of men might actually feel honored rather than upset if Bono sent their wife a dirty email

Thankfully we all know that he's devoted to his own wife and is only joking. Otherwise it would be very naughty :shame:

Yes, Bono and Billie are both very devoted to and head over feet for their wives. Otherwise that'd be kinda wrong. hee

I'd still love to read what Bono wrote. He's got a way with words and imagery.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom