U2 At The Grammy's: The Good, Ugly, Loo, Orgasmatrons, and the Future.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliveu2cm

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Allright this here is a Grammy thread. We're gonna be sending the guys some serious WIN ALL GRAMMY vibes!!

Post everything you have or know or even a great big KICK SOME ASS posts!
biggrin.gif
or, show some ass, whatever your style
wink.gif
jk jk! hahaha we want them to win- even selfishly so we can see them talk and give more fun speeches!! plus we like Bono posing w/ the grammys!

First, a debrief. I went through my vaults and found all this Grammy stuff. You will be stunned, as I surely was, with what I found.

U2 at the Grammys: The Good & The Ugly
1987: saw the guys up for 3 awards. (Note the absence of WOWY or Streets)
-ISHFWILF was up for Record of the Year and Song of the Year. It won neither award.
*-Joshua Tree up for album of the year, and of course won.

1988:
*-Desire won for Rock Vocal Group award (whatever that was)
*-Streets won for Music Video Performance

1989:
-R&H up for Rock Vocal Group, did not win.
-U2 & BB King for When Love Comes To Town, but did not win.

1992: Achtung Baby! A year you think they'd rock the house- what with songs like One, MW, EBTTRT, WGRYWG...
*-Achtung Baby won Album of the Year
-Achtung Baby nominated for Rock Vocal Group and lost.

1993:
*-Zooropa wins Best Alternative Album

1994:
*-Zooropa Live From Sydney wins Grammy for Long Form Music Video

1995:
-HMTMKMKM lost for Rock Song (Bono)
-HMTMKMKM lost for Rock Vocal Group

1998:
-Pop lost best album

1999:
-Pop live from Mexico lost for Long Form Music Video

2001:
*- Beautiful Day won Record of the Year
*- Beautiful Day won Song of the Year
*- Beautiful Day won Best Rock Performance

So that brings us to THIS year! After seeing how poorly nominated they were in the past- lack of AB appreciation still blows me away! I'm realizing how amazing *8* awards are!! And I hope U2 win 7 of them!! (haha b/c two are in the same category lol)

K i'll stop yapping- let's post our Grammy stuff!! We still gotta talk about the loo & the orgasmatron- come on I know you know what I mean!

------------------
"Songs are the language of the spirit... the melodies are how you sing to God. It's a deep language. But they can't explain everything, because really great songs touch places that you can't explain." -Bono

U2 Take Me Higher

MPS: "Evil shouldn't look this good"

"The way I might look at you" ~Adam

Bono and Edge's 1988 Grammy acceptance speeches:
"Well, uh, we seem to have lost our bass player. He went to the loo a couple of minutes ago and he's still in the back. Oh, Adam, this way. Here he comes.

I don't know about you, but I'm still recovering after Whitney Houston.

Um.

OK. I have a bit of a list here I want to read out. It's just a few people we thought we should thank. Um, I've got to be careful of this list 'cause it's got the lad's votes and, uh, stuff on the back.

OK. Uh, first I'd like to thank our lawyer and friend, Owen Epstein, who couldn't be with you, us tonight. Um, thanks go to Paul McGuiness our manager for the loan of yet another suit, uh, our management team in New York and Dublin, Ellen and Anne Louise, Island Records, Atlantic Records and WEA, Frank Barcelona and Premier Talent, everybody in college radio (I don't know where we'd be without them). I'd also like to thank, uh, I'd like to thank Jack Healey and Amnesty International for all their work, Desmond Tutu for his courage, Martin Luther King. I'd like to thank, uh, Bob Dylan for "Tangled Up In Blue," Flannery O'Conner, Jimi Hendrix, Walt Disney, John the Baptist, George Best, Gregory Peck, James T. Kirk, Morris Pratt, Dr. Ruth, Fawn Hall, Batman and Robin, Lucky the Dog, Pee Wee Herman, the YMCA, Eddie the Eagle, sumo wrestlers around the world, and, of course, Ronald Reagan." -The Edge

"Well, this is all very Celtic. We appreciate it.

It's actually, um, really is hard, um, carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders, and, uh, saving the whale, and, uh, organizing summits between world leaders and that sort of thing. But, we enjoy our work. And, um, uh, it's hard when there's fifty million people or so watching not to take the opportunity to talk about things like South Africa and what's happening there and remarkable people like Bishop Tutu and what they have to put up with.

But, tonight is maybe not the night for me to do that, so I, uh, instead just, uh, I'd like to talk about the music, uh, as we set out to make music, soul music. Uh, that's what U2 wanted to make. It was soul music. It's not about being black or white, or the instruments you play, or whether you use a drum machine or not. It's a, it's a decision to reveal or conceal. And, uh, without it, uh, people like Prince would be nothing more than a brilliant song-and-dance man that he is, but he's much more than that. People like Bruce Springsteen would be nothing more than a, he would be nothing more than a great storyteller, but he's much more than that. Um, without it, U2 would probably be getting better reviews in the Village Voice, but, um, that, that's a joke. s-Sometimes they don't understand. Uh, without it, U2 certainly wouldn't be here and we are here and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else than New York City tonight. Thank you.

And, I'd also like to thank Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno without which we couldn't have made that record.

Thank you very much.

And, um. -Bono

------------------
I had the loudest mouth. When we formed the group, I was the lead guitar player, singer and songwriter. Nobody talked back at first. But then they talked me out of being lead guitar player and into being the rythm guitar player and into just being the singer. And then they tried to talk me out of being the singer and into being the manager. But I held on to that. Arrogance may have been the reason. - Bono

As a vehicle it has its limitations: it probably wouldn't get you to work and back. But it could make someone a fantastic cocktail bar. - Edge on the lemon

All I can say is U2 better win album of the year.... but let's look at the competition...

Outkast- Amazing album, but no chance cause it's rap

Dylan- Did anybody know this album was out?! But there is a chance he could tie w/U2 and cancel each other out *keeps fingers crossed*

India.Arie- She stands a chnace of gettting it cause all her noms were a complete shock, so they might surprise everyone and give it all to her

Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?- If George Clooney's pretty boy singing wins this, I'll go down there and kick Batman's ass (j/k..... simmer down now)

U2- Do I even need to explain?

------------------
*~*?*~*~ Katie ~*~*?*~*

"No matter how much we wrap it up in tinsel and television, I'm still the geezer with the white flag." ~ Bono
"That'll never fit on a t-shirt." ~ Larry on ATYCLB

Hold on to love, hold on to love....
Love won't let you go...

[This message has been edited by wildhoney22 (edited 01-14-2002).]

*steals Olive's post*

I didn't realize they'd won and been up for so many Grammys, WOW!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
I hope Justin Timberlake is right, and they DO win all the Grammys - it would show all those rap wippersnappers a thing or two!!
wink.gif
so, it's not from the Grammys, but this pic of Edge playing up to the camera is SO cute! (look at the crowd - how young everyone is!)

20867910eShibhWHBM_ph.jpg

When are the Grammys anyway?

The Grammys are Feb 27 from 8-11 on CBS! I can't wait! I've got work that night from 6-8 so I'm gonna be bustin ass to get back home...even though I'm taping it...Gotta love obsession!

------------------
BONO: FOAD, Lawrence. Just FOAD. (LOL, Mona)

You can dream, so dream out loud!

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

atthegrammies.jpg

"I'd like to give a message to the youth of America: We shall continue to abuse our position and fuck up the mainstream"
-Bono, accepting the Grammy for Best Alternative Album for Zooropa, on LIVE television. hahaa.

edge_theresAdam.jpg

Look! There's Adam! he was in the LOO!!

[This message has been edited by oliveu2cm (edited 01-14-2002).]

Originally posted by numbededge:

OK. I have a bit of a list here I want to read out. It's just a few people we thought we should thank. Um, I've got to be careful of this list 'cause it's got the lad's votes and, uh, stuff on the back.

what were they passing the time by drawing? what do you think was on the back of that paper? i bet it was offensive!!!

------------------
)|( Vande )|(

"Rock 'n' roll is a term that's been heavily abused. It's not
something you can buy in a record shop. It's an attitude." -Adam

"And I wear grey underwear." -Bono

Everyday can be a beautiful day. Don't let it get away.

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

It?s cold outside, but brightly lit...

2001grammy.jpg

It was a beautiful day (er, night)
2001grammy2.jpg

One of the times Edge DIDN'T speak
------------------
I had the loudest mouth. When we formed the group, I was the lead guitar player, singer and songwriter. Nobody talked back at first. But then they talked me out of being lead guitar player and into being the rythm guitar player and into just being the singer. And then they tried to talk me out of being the singer and into being the manager. But I held on to that. Arrogance may have been the reason. - Bono

As a vehicle it has its limitations: it probably wouldn't get you to work and back. But it could make someone a fantastic cocktail bar. - Edge on the lemon

[This message has been edited by numbededge (edited 01-14-2002).]

[This message has been edited by numbededge (edited 01-14-2002).]

U2 ROCKS!!!

i decided to get a little creative with this pic!!
3334295923232%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D3235%3E54%3A%3E84%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D323237%3B3%3B6%3A8%3Anu0mrj

------------------
*+*MaRiA*+*
got the swing, got the sway, got my straw in lemonade

[This message has been edited by sparkys girl (edited 01-14-2002).]

Yeah! Here's for another great year at the Grammies! U2 is gonna rock the house! Good luck guys!

Listen to Edge's flippin' hilarious Orgazmatron speech here.

u2grammys.jpg

grammys.jpg

anyone have pics from Zooropa Grammy Night??

bono_grammys_cell.jpg

Who ya callin' B?

nice pic Maria!!

[This message has been edited by oliveu2cm (edited 01-14-2002).]

*sending the boys good vibes*

Since they'll be playing "Stuck", I think I'll post the lyrics....

Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of

I'm not afraid
Of anything in this world
There's nothing you can throw at me
That I haven't already heard

I'm just trying to find
A decent melody
A song that I can sing
In my own company

I never thought you were a fool
But darling look at you
You gotta stand up straight
Carry your own weight
These tears are going nowhere baby

You've got to get yourself together
You've got stuck in a moment
And now you can't get out of it

Don't say that later will be better
Now you're stuck in a moment
And you can't get out of it

I will not forsake
The colors that you bring
The nights you filled with fireworks
They left you with nothing

I am still enchanted
By the light you brought to me
I listen through your ears
Through your eyes I can see

And you are such a fool
To worry like you do
I know it's tough
And you can never get enough
Of what you don't really need now
My, oh my

Oh love, look at you now
You've got yourself stuck in a moment

I was unconscious, half asleep
The water is warm 'til you discover how deep

I wasn't jumping, for me it was a fall
It's a long way down to nothing at all

Don't say that later will be better
Now you're stuck in a moment

And if the night runs over
And if the day won't last
And if our way should falter
Along the stony pass

And if the night runs over
And if the day won't last
And if your way should falter
Along this stony pass

It's just a moment
This time will pass

------------------
Oh great ocean
Oh great sea
Run to the ocean
Run to the sea

Originally posted by mocool12:

grammys.jpg

First of all, going somewhat off topic...

SPARKY HAS A KU SHIRT!!!
SPARKY HAS A KU SHIRT!!!
SPARKY HAS A KU SHIRT!!!

*as a Kansan, does Happy Dance at the sight of Adam's shirt*
*finishes dance and returns to usual state of (ir)rationality*

Secondly... you are so right about Edge's speech last year!! He just looks so cute when he's giving it, and Bono's response to the orgasmatron line is priceless too!("He doesn't need that, i don't think!") Here's wishing for a speech this year just as memorable as last years!!

------------------
BP: Who put the Ram in the Ramalama Ding Dong?

BONO: Paul McCartney.
LARRY: Ya What???
EDGE: I don't know but it wasn't me.
ADAM: Santa Claus.

--Interview with BP Fallon, 1993

Wasn't it in Bill Flannagan's book that said one of the reasons AB didn't get its well deserved awards was cause "Tears in Heaven" was nominated too, and it was out of sympathy for Eric Clapton. Plus his date was that pesky Naomi Campbell..yuck to that. Anywho! Good luck to our boys!

------------------
Dana

"I simulate love making by beating a piece of wood with a metal wire on which it vibrates."
-Adam, when asked, 'If a martian landed and was introduced to you and asked what you do, what would you say?'

IM me: ghettopoptart83

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:
So that brings us to THIS year! After seeing how poorly nominated they were in the past- lack of AB appreciation still blows me away!

Ah, it's beyond me too how AB was not that appreciated. It holds, to this date, the best songs of U2. And didn't you notice how great they sound whether studio version or live-wise?

Originally posted by dizzy:
Ah, it's beyond me too how AB was not that appreciated. It holds, to this date, the best songs of U2. And didn't you notice how great they sound whether studio version or live-wise?

ARGH!! YES! every song!! ohh it really hurts!!

bahh they know WE appreciate it!

and dana- Yes lol - this was the year for Eric Clapton, and remember how embarrassed he was? and Larry was like "i'm never coming to these things again"! arg right w/ ya Lars!

U2002 is their year!

------------------
"Songs are the language of the spirit... the melodies are how you sing to God. It's a deep language. But they can't explain everything, because really great songs touch places that you can't explain." -Bono

U2 Take Me Higher

Originally posted by dizzy:

Completely agree. I'm listening to a live version of Mysterious way right now.....

My dad and I have discussions about how U2 should have won album of the year for that. Come on, all Clapton did was rehash old songs and he gets the flipping Grammy?! Not cool....

------------------
*~*?*~*~ Katie ~*~*?*~*

"No matter how much we wrap it up in tinsel and television, I'm still the geezer with the white flag." ~ Bono
"That'll never fit on a t-shirt." ~ Larry on ATYCLB

Hold on to love, hold on to love....
Love won't let you go...

I know this pic doesnt really belong in this thread but its still an awards pic and I just cant resist.

i250F2A12-1A09-4CA0-93BE-563C8A4BEBE0.jpg

U2 is going to SWEEP all 8 grammies!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
My Lair

Originally posted by mocool12:
Yeah! Here's for another great year at the Grammies! U2 is gonna rock the house! Good luck guys!

Yo' link don't work.

Such a link taketh ye to a place yonder, where the hills stayeth green and thy links do not work. Such a place exists in the realms of the yahoo-url-was-wrong pages

Originally posted by numbededge:
It's actually, um, really is hard, um, carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders, and, uh, saving the whale,

SHAMU! THE MYSTERIOUS WHALE! OH OH OH!! *undulate* lmao

aaw his last words were "And, um."
biggrin.gif
Cute

NOW I'M REEEEEAAAALLLLLLYY EXCITED for Grammy night. Jon Stewart hosts, btw
biggrin.gif

------------------
~*Mona*~ LOVE me, give me SOUL

PLEBA: Saving heterosexuality, one woman at a time.

"What's good enough for Bono is good enough for me" ~Smooth Criminal

You give your life for rock n' roll

Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing:

Yo' link don't work.

Such a link taketh ye to a place yonder, where the hills stayeth green and thy links do not work. Such a place exists in the realms of the yahoo-url-was-wrong pages
What the- Well, damn I dunno, it's working for me... sorry yo!

Didn't Jon Stewart host last year too? Sweet if he's hosting again... He's hilarious!

[This message has been edited by mocool12 (edited 01-15-2002).]

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:
anyone have pics from Zooropa Grammy Night??

grammy.jpg

------------------
"Coke does not add life. It might be a nice fizzy drink but it does not add life." - Bono
"Well, it could have been an artichoke, but we wanted a more practical fruit." -Larry
?This is when the band became Depeche Mode!? ? Steve Lillywhite plays some tracks that didn?t make it to the final cut of WTSHNN.

thanks numbedge! i was just gonna post that pic! lol

bandMAC.jpg

"fuck up the mainstream"

bawahh! go U2!

------------------

U2 Take Me Higher

Back
Top Bottom